2023 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

That looks like a sweet deal for Philly to me. LA paid a significant price for losing Petersen and Sean Walker. Grans is a really nice RD prospect on top of the picks. Guessing LA wants to sign Gavrikov and Korpisalo.

CBJ, in the end, get Provorov(30% retained) for #22oa this year and a 2nd in 24 or 25.

If my reading skills are correct. That isn't much.

From that perspective, let's not trade Hanifin.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

That looks like a sweet deal for Philly to me. LA paid a significant price for losing Petersen and Sean Walker. Grans is a really nice RD prospect on top of the picks. Guessing LA wants to sign Gavrikov and Korpisalo.

CBJ, in the end, get Provorov(30% retained) for #22oa this year and a 2nd in 24 or 25.

Provorov got a 1st (22nd) and two 2nds.  That's about what hanifin is worth.

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

48 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Provorov got a 1st (22nd) and two 2nds.  That's about what hanifin is worth.

Interesting return.  You have to jump on that if the prices hold up.  We don't even have the spectre of a big salary for two years to deal with.  I don't even worry about the perceived drop off in skills by having Kylington replace his minutes in the top 4.  A better year by our goalies, possibly better seasons from player having really bad years, and a change in coaching will make a difference.  Even if we don't rebound that much, it's asset management.  Keeping Hanifin doesn't make us better in two years.  This isn't even rebuild or re-tool talk.  It's just measured improvement.

CBJ hinting clearly they don't want to draft and wait any longer.  They want to win now.  That 3oa is getting more intriguing by the day.  Makes me think they will accept less than usual just to get the player they want.  And this player they want just might be Lindholm.

41 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

CBJ hinting clearly they don't want to draft and wait any longer.  They want to win now.  That 3oa is getting more intriguing by the day.  Makes me think they will accept less than usual just to get the player they want.  And this player they want just might be Lindholm.

Does 3rd overall get us a potential 1C ?  If not, then it's a rebuild in the making.

Considering they seemed top have traded away a lot of their cap.

Considering that they are not exactly flush with picks over the years.

Why do they trade away a possible franchise altering draft pick?

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I would agree. I mean Provorov really isn't a very good dman do in that sense it could be sold as a haul but that isn't an exciting return for Hanifin. 

I don't think we'd get exctied about a return for Hanifin anyway, seems even more the case now. 

Okay, so a bit off topic, but it seems Mr. Francis is suggesting BT trades for Vladar, to become the starter for TO.  Not sure I get that logic, but it's an intriguing prospect.  We don't need any goalies from the TO stable, but would be somewhat included to take Murray to make it work.  So, I am just going to state this one based on TO's bias towards puck moving D and the inevitable retirement of Gio:

To Toronto:

Noah Hanifin - $4.95M x 1 year

Dan Vladar - $2.2M x 2 years

To Calgary:

Willie Nylander - $6.962M x 1 year

Jake Muzzin - $5.625M x 1 year

Muzzin is likely done.  The LTIR is insurance on the cap, and while it makes sense for Toronto to retain, they aren't getting a goalie and top 4 D for just Nylander.  IMO.

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Okay, so a bit off topic, but it seems Mr. Francis is suggesting BT trades for Vladar, to become the starter for TO.  Not sure I get that logic, but it's an intriguing prospect.  We don't need any goalies from the TO stable, but would be somewhat included to take Murray to make it work.  So, I am just going to state this one based on TO's bias towards puck moving D and the inevitable retirement of Gio:

To Toronto:

Noah Hanifin - $4.95M x 1 year

Dan Vladar - $2.2M x 2 years

To Calgary:

Willie Nylander - $6.962M x 1 year

Jake Muzzin - $5.625M x 1 year

Muzzin is likely done.  The LTIR is insurance on the cap, and while it makes sense for Toronto to retain, they aren't getting a goalie and top 4 D for just Nylander.  IMO.

Why would we trade 2 perfectly good players for a player you think is done and a 1 yr on Nyl who would probably not resign here ?

4 minutes ago, zima said:

Why would we trade 2 perfectly good players for a player you think is done and a 1 yr on Nyl who would probably not resign here ?

Well, we get cap space insurance and a top scoring winger.

If he isn't re-signing, then we trade him at TDL for  huge return.

And we make room for Wolf.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Does 3rd overall get us a potential 1C ?  If not, then it's a rebuild in the making.

Considering they seemed top have traded away a lot of their cap.

Considering that they are not exactly flush with picks over the years.

Why do they trade away a possible franchise altering draft pick?

If you believe Leo Carlsson is the next Mats Sundin, then yes.  Carlsson has the size to jump right into the NHL.  He's already playing against pros.

55 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I would agree. I mean Provorov really isn't a very good dman do in that sense it could be sold as a haul but that isn't an exciting return for Hanifin. 

I don't think we'd get exctied about a return for Hanifin anyway, seems even more the case now. 

Hanifin at TDL will net us a 1st + prospect + NHL 4th liner.  That's about what Provorov just got.  Also comparable to Chychrun's trade value last season.

Not sure what you guys are expecting for a Hanifin return.  He's pending UFA.  Price is standard now.

18 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The price would be very high, which is why top 3, or even top 10 picks seldom move.

If I had it my way, then I would try to move Weegar + Lindholm + one of Mangiapane/Dube for CBJ's 3oa.

I don't think next year's 1st interests CBJ if they are going the win-now route.  They are done with drafting.  They want players in their prime ready to win.

Any trade where we don't have to move Rasmus Andersson for the 3oa is a big win.  Literally pick any 3 players off the roster not named Rasmus Andersson.  

Weegar's NTC doesn't kick in until July 1st.

Tell me something do any of you know if Khyl is coming back or is he done? I'm not sure what happened to him and not going to assume since I don't know crap at the best of times But I know 90% of you ppl do so any insight on Mr Khyl would be appreciated . He really seemed to be coming into his own at the middle of 2022 yes?

49 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Hanifin at TDL will net us a 1st + prospect + NHL 4th liner.  That's about what Provorov just got.  Also comparable to Chychrun's trade value last season.

Not sure what you guys are expecting for a Hanifin return.  He's pending UFA.  Price is standard now.

I'm not even sure you get that. I agree that as a pending UFA his value is locked it and it's not fantastic because the league is moving away from overpaying for pending UFAs. If you want a "haul" you need to move player who have term. 

51 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If I had it my way, then I would try to move Weegar + Lindholm + one of Mangiapane/Dube for CBJ's 3oa.

I don't think next year's 1st interests CBJ if they are going the win-now route.  They are done with drafting.  They want players in their prime ready to win.

Any trade where we don't have to move Rasmus Andersson for the 3oa is a big win.  Literally pick any 3 players off the roster not named Rasmus Andersson.  

Weegar's NTC doesn't kick in until July 1st.

woof. Jesus man, no way. Best C and best D + a top 6/9 fwd? Ouch. If Carlsson tops out as a 3C we’re in total chaos. You know, Nolan Patrick was the next Lindros.

Let the draft hype begin.

45 minutes ago, zima said:

Tell me something do any of you know if Khyl is coming back or is he done? I'm not sure what happened to him and not going to assume since I don't know crap at the best of times But I know 90% of you ppl do so any insight on Mr Khyl would be appreciated . He really seemed to be coming into his own at the middle of 2022 yes?

Kylington indeed looks ready to step back into the league.  He has been skating etc for some time now.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I'm not even sure you get that. I agree that as a pending UFA his value is locked it and it's not fantastic because the league is moving away from overpaying for pending UFAs. If you want a "haul" you need to move player who have term. 

I did say "at TDL"... that's when healthy bodies cost a fortune entering the playoffs.  History has shown teams are willing to pay the price at TDL... But not during these times.  Provorov got a good haul all things considered (two years remaining).

Hanifin is pending UFA so can't expect much at the moment. 

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I did say "at TDL"... that's when healthy bodies cost a fortune entering the playoffs.  History has shown teams are willing to pay the price at TDL... But not during these times.  Provorov got a good haul all things considered (two years remaining).

Hanifin is pending UFA so can't expect much at the moment. 

Yeah, but you've followed the team long enough to know that if they even sniff playoffs, they'd never trade a player like 55.

Love.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

woof. Jesus man, no way. Best C and best D + a top 6/9 fwd? Ouch. If Carlsson tops out as a 3C we’re in total chaos. You know, Nolan Patrick was the next Lindros.

Let the draft hype begin.

Best C that refuses to extend long term with us?

We will regret Weegar's contract in about 4 years.  4 years where we aren't even close to being contenders.  Wasted years anyways.

Mangiapane/Dube is replaced by Pelletier.  Need to make room on LW for Huberdeau to return to LW full time.

It's doubtful CBJ even says yes to this.  The price is the price.

If we can move into the next 3 years with,

#1 C - Carlsson 

#1 D - Andersson

#1 G - Wolf

1 minute ago, Heartbreaker said:

Yeah, but you've followed the team long enough to know that if they even sniff playoffs, they'd never trade a player like 55.

Love.

This time is different because of the Gaudreau experience.  Conroy said he'll never let an asset walk away again without getting something back.

40 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

This time is different because of the Gaudreau experience.  Conroy said he'll never let an asset walk away again without getting something back.

That isn't what he said. Never let an asset like Gaudreau walk again. 

Big difference there

44 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Best C that refuses to extend long term with us?

We will regret Weegar's contract in about 4 years.  4 years where we aren't even close to being contenders.  Wasted years anyways.

Mangiapane/Dube is replaced by Pelletier.  Need to make room on LW for Huberdeau to return to LW full time.

It's doubtful CBJ even says yes to this.  The price is the price.

If we can move into the next 3 years with,

#1 C - Carlsson 

#1 D - Andersson

#1 G - Wolf

I am so conflicted lol.

I like the plan to upgrade the draft pick.    Personally I would take Michkov over Carlsson though.

And probably don't need a pick that high to get Michkov.

My other conflict:   If we're looking to build, you want another D at this stage.  You want Reinbacher.

Again, probably don't need a pick anywhere near this high to get him.

All that said, I like this plan a lot better than the downgrade plans.

My dream would be too extreme lol.   Do a Veteran dump.

Pick up say picks #2, #5, #10.   (upgrades, trades).

Carlsson, Michkov, Reinbacher.

There, you're 1/3 done your rebuild.

peace.