2023 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

Weird. With 3 picks left, they cut to commercial.  As they were fading to commercial, they said "there's our first order change.  Columbus will pick 3rd.  We'll be right back"... huh?  Bill Daly never showed the Columbus card yet???

Pre-determined?  Rigged? 

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Weird. With 3 picks left, they cut to commercial.  As they were fading to commercial, they said "there's our first order change.  Columbus will pick 3rd.  We'll be right back"... huh?  Bill Daly never showed the Columbus card yet???

Pre-determined?  Rigged? 

It's a made for TV production and they butchered it this year. Did a really poor job. NHL likes to shoot themselves in the foot.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Pre-determined?  Rigged? 

I caught that too. I was like, "what"???

2 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It's a made for TV production and they butchered it this year. Did a really poor job. NHL likes to shoot themselves in the foot.

Trues.  They probably told the network the final draft order ahead of time so the network could prepare what to say... but they still botched it... so weird.

It's fascinating, because Chicago is quite honestly the worst team in the league when you factor in roster/pipeline.  They have very little. Korchinski is their best prospect, he's a D. 

It's not at all like Crosby, McDavid or Matthews when they were picked.

PIT had Malkin and Fleury as top two picks in prior yeard.

TOR had Nylander, Marner and Rielly

Easy to laugh at EDM but they had Draisaitl, Nuge, Eberle and Hall.

Chicago has nothing. It's gonna test that generational talent label for Bedard. He's gonna have to do it himself. Unfortunate for CHI because that ELC is gonna be wasted on some really bad teams.

From '17-22, the odds of the Wings never winning 1, 2 or 3 in the lottery is 15.6%.

The chances of them moving down a total of 8 spots in that time, which they did, is 5.8%.

Blockchain the lottery and the Bettman that it rode in on. I would rather teams lose for it than the NHL run a "lottery".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

I think if Michkov falls at all it wont' be skill it will be contract. He's under contract with SKA until 2026. So your taking someone in the top 10, maybe top 5, who you likely won't see for at least 3 years AND then you have to be very confident you can get him to pass on KHL money to come to North America and make 3 mill a year. 

That's going to be your debate when it comes to Michkov IMO. I don't know enough to have an opinion but any NHL team with interest has to have confidence with his contract situation. 

So Michkov could stay in KHL for 4 years and then go UFA as an unsigned prospect?

I never liked teams tanking for the #1 pick anyways and neither should the NHL.  The only way to eliminate tanking and selling at the TDL is to go full unweighted lottery.  Zero incentive to dump all players at the TDL and aim to lose.

With an unweighted lottery, they could do a lot at the draft lottery to make the selections live.  It could be a big money maker for TV.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I never liked teams tanking for the #1 pick anyways and neither should the NHL.  The only way to eliminate tanking and selling at the TDL is to go full unweighted lottery.  Zero incentive to dump all players at the TDL and aim to lose.

With an unweighted lottery, they could do a lot at the draft lottery to make the selections live.  It could be a big money maker for TV.

But only the bottom 4-6 teams. Not 16. 16's a ridiculous number of teams and 30-40pt differences in standings.

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

But only the bottom 4-6 teams. Not 16. 16's a ridiculous number of teams and 30-40pt differences in standings.

It would be cool to see a slight increae to the teams odds as they win more games after eliminated

14 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

What does the transfer agreement have anything to do with the technicality that the NHL Team and player never signed a contract?

outlines the rules. 

but the two situations are different. In the NCAA the 4 year rules exists to allow a player to pursue education. 
In terms of the KHL there is no transfer agreement to agree to an established set of rules and in addition to that there is also a written understanding that the leagues honor each others contracts. So if a Russian player continues to sign KHL contracts there is a possibility and nhl team could never get the chance to sign him. 

that’s why the rights are held indefinitely. That’s isn’t the case for NCAA where a drafted team will always get an exclusive negotiating window. You may not with a KHL player. 

34 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Been a long time since Chicago had a player like that.  

Bobby Hull I guess?   If it goes like they say it will

Been about 3 months since they’ve had a hall of famer on their team haha.

Funny how it always seems to work out for certain franchises 

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I really think they should have 6 team lotto For the last place and the other 4 or 5 teams directly below them. 

then the next 5 teams even lotto.

then the last five or 6 teams.

No weight to any of them. 
 But 3 separate lottos for 3 different tiers. 

they could do the 11-16 picks lotto first.

then the 6-10.

then the 1-5 picks.

all unweighted. 

then those teams that are in those tiers are where they're supposed to be and the teams with the poorest records should get a better chance? 

I get you want all of the teams not tanking.

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

I really think they should have 6 team lotto For the last place and the other 4 or 5 teams directly below them. 

then the next 5 teams even lotto.

then the last five or 6 teams.

No weight to any of them. 
 But 3 separate lottos for 3 different tiers. 

Nah but then some years, the 5,6,7 are so close to be bumped down a tier.  And 10/11 so close, why split their draft odds?