2023 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It's too bad the best we can do is 6th.  There's 4 studs in this draft and Michkov might drop one to 5th.  At 6th, we get the first pick of that next cliff.

I suspect it's a moot point, but we did get Chucky at 6. I think that we all thought we were getting Nylander. If that draft happened again, I'd give you a 86% odds that he would go second.

Two years before that, we got Bennett at 4, and that seemed like he fell to us.

Love.

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Handedness means little. Would you pick Lindholm over Barkov due to handedness?

For faceoffs, it matters.  Want the strong hand to pull the puck back into the corner or the side boards.  Don't want your Center to shoot the puck at your own net or clear the zone in the offensive zone.

I think if Michkov falls at all it wont' be skill it will be contract. He's under contract with SKA until 2026. So your taking someone in the top 10, maybe top 5, who you likely won't see for at least 3 years AND then you have to be very confident you can get him to pass on KHL money to come to North America and make 3 mill a year. 

That's going to be your debate when it comes to Michkov IMO. I don't know enough to have an opinion but any NHL team with interest has to have confidence with his contract situation. 

1 minute ago, Heartbreaker said:

I suspect it's a moot point, but we did get Chucky at 6. I think that we all thought we were getting Nylander. If that draft happened again, I'd give you a 86% odds that he would go second.

Two years before that, we got Bennett at 4, and that seemed like he fell to us.

Love.

Nah the gap from Tkachuk to Nylander was massive.  Nylander was the next tier.

But between Bennett, Reinhart, and Draisaitl, the gap negligible.  Reinhart went first because of RHS C/RW.  

1 hour ago, Otown72 said:

So if by a miracle the Flames move up to 6th. Who do you hope to see the Flames pick? 

1 and 2 are definitely gone.

In about 4 hrs this will be a redundant😜

Mitchkov would be mine. Worth the wait and potential risk if he is available.

Bedard, Fantilli, Michkov, Carlsson, Smith....I'd have to go Barlow. I just think he's the best goalscorer available that doesn't have anything serious for red flags in abilities/doesn't cheat D to pump stats. Just my opinion. I want a bonafide goal scorer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Barkov was 2oa, Lindholm 5th in the same draft. If you're making handedness a component...well, oops. Still a solid C mind you.

It was MacKinnon/Jones ranked 1/2.  Barkov was right there at 3rd.  Big gap to the next tier.

A better comparison is Lindholm vs Monahan in the same draft year.  Lindholm went 5th and Monahan 6th.  So close to rank those two from each other.

Right now, is there a clear difference between Barlow, Yager, Perreault, Danielson, and Wood?

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

It's too bad the best we can do is 6th.  There's 4 studs in this draft and Michkov might drop one to 5th.  At 6th, we get the first pick of that next cliff.

Lottery win in the bag man 😅

The trick is to strike a new arena deal ahead of each draft and then cancel it after the draft

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It was MacKinnon/Jones ranked 1/2.  Barkov was right there at 3rd.  Big gap to the next tier.

A better comparison is Lindholm vs Monahan in the same draft year.  Lindholm went 5th and Monahan 6th.  So close to rank those two from each other.

Right now, is there a clear difference between Barlow, Yager, Perreault, Danielson, and Wood?

Depends what you value. Me wanting a goalscorer at 6 so Barlow has the most complete toolbox/physicality for that, while still being good defensively.

I want ARI just to keep driving this point into the NHL office. "There's your big marketing score, playing for 5,000".

But I'd also like to see Keller get loaded up. He's so underrated.

Him, Bedard, Cooley, Maccelli, Guenther, Aku Raty would be fun to watch. And the Ritchie brothers of course...

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

For faceoffs, it matters.  Want the strong hand to pull the puck back into the corner or the side boards.  Don't want your Center to shoot the puck at your own net or clear the zone in the offensive zone.

You can have your cake and eat it too, if a strong D falls to you.  They often do because of GM expiry dates.  I'm quite sure Arizona at least would love to see us drafting another talented D in the first round.

1 minute ago, jjgallow said:

You can have your cake and eat it too, if a strong D falls to you.  They often do because of GM expiry dates.  I'm quite sure Arizona at least would love to see us drafting another talented D in the first round.

I would be ecstatic if one of Reinbacker or Sandin-Pellikka drops to us.  We really need a RD in the prospect pool.