2023 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

On 5/3/2023 at 1:50 PM, The_People1 said:

It seems Conroy wants the job.  He's probably going to leave if the Flames hire someone from the outside.

Well, it’s the in thing to do - all the cool kids are doing it! 😏

Flames might need lottery luck to land one of these guys, but latest top of the draft from McKenzie

https://www.tsn.ca/plenty-of-intrigue-after-bedard-in-mckenzie-s-lottery-edition-ranking-1.1956585

1. Bedard (C)

2. Fantilli (C)

3. Smith (C)

4. Carlsson (C)

5. Michkov (RW)

6. Dvorsky (C)

7. Leonard (RW)

8. Benson (LW)

9. Perreault (LW)

10. Reinbacher (D)

11. Barlow (LW)

12. Wood (RW)

54 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Flames might need lottery luck to land one of these guys, but latest top of the draft from McKenzie

https://www.tsn.ca/plenty-of-intrigue-after-bedard-in-mckenzie-s-lottery-edition-ranking-1.1956585

1. Bedard (C)

2. Fantilli (C)

3. Smith (C)

4. Carlsson (C)

5. Michkov (RW)

6. Dvorsky (C)

7. Leonard (RW)

8. Benson (LW)

9. Perreault (LW)

10. Reinbacher (D)

11. Barlow (LW)

12. Wood (RW)

we will draft Reinbacher or Barlow. We almost never draft RS so probably not Reinbacher. I get it's just a myth that we never draft RS but I'd love to draft a high end D. I think we have a ton of holes in the prospect pool so we need anyone who has elite skill, and I want to shoot for the fences this draft. Go with wheels and skill. 

I want to make sure we start going elite skating and skill. D can come but you can't teach skating and skill later in their career.

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

we will draft Reinbacher or Barlow. We almost never draft RS so probably not Reinbacher. I get it's just a myth that we never draft RS but I'd love to draft a high end D. I think we have a ton of holes in the prospect pool so we need anyone who has elite skill, and I want to shoot for the fences this draft. Go with wheels and skill. 

I want to make sure we start going elite skating and skill. D can come but you can't teach skating and skill later in their career.

Well we did draft Coronato as a RS.  I remember he was generally ranked 15th to 20th and we drafted him 13th.

Thing with RS is they are rare and many teams will be inclined to reach in the draft if they have to.

Reinbacher, Sandin-pellikka, Yager, Danielson, etc could go slightly earlier than their ranks.  Leaving us to choose between Barlow, Wood, Perreault, etc.

17 hours ago, cross16 said:

1. Bedard (C)

2. Fantilli (C)

3. Smith (C)

4. Carlsson (C)

5. Michkov (RW)

6. Dvorsky (C)

7. Leonard (RW)

8. Benson (LW)

9. Perreault (LW)

10. Reinbacher (D)

11. Barlow (LW)

12. Wood (RW)

One of them will be available, we just don't know who and why.   

I've been thinkin about Michkov.

Which is weird in itself lol.  But:

I've been thinkin.

He good

impressive darth vader GIF

So like, he dropping in rankings heading into draft.  It's been mentioned that he hasn't looked quite as good near the end of the season.

Reason given:  His team isn't very good, so that's why he's in the KHL.

Right so this makes no sense.  It's something else.

Really unfortunate to say this, but the reason's pretty clear.  His Dad was just murdered.

So yeah.   Not much point in scouting him right now.

He could drop.  Like a rock.  Unpredictably.  Highly unlikely to drop all the way to us but just saying.

Originally he was deemed  a risk, being out of Russia.  I dismissed that.   What's happening in his personal life right now?   Do you recover from that and excel at hockey?     I do not know.

I think that with his skills, you have to take him.  And I mean anyone with the #2 pick or lower.   What happens after that could potentially be a soap opera, but not one that has to involve the team itself.   Just can't pass on talent like that.   But after drafting him I think you reach out, offer anything and everything.   so hard to tell.  Maybe this kid never wants to come to the NHL.   Maybe he and his family want out of Russia badly.   People will write about this for years I think, as it unfolds.

On 5/5/2023 at 12:30 PM, cross16 said:

1. Bedard (C)

2. Fantilli (C)

3. Smith (C)

4. Carlsson (C)

5. Michkov (RW)

6. Dvorsky (C)

7. Leonard (RW)

8. Benson (LW)

9. Perreault (LW)

10. Reinbacher (D)

11. Barlow (LW)

12. Wood (RW)

Yeah I saw that one last night. Perreault at 9 makes me go hmmm. That's a big jump for Dvorsky, I'd swap him and Barlow due to Barlow's complete game and how he currently translates to the next level. I really like Dvorsky too.

Something something short tournament something US team played together all season something something.

They're saying the gap from Bedard to Fantilli is smaller than the gap from Fantilli to #3. I don't believe that at all with Carlsson playing in a MUCH better league than everyone else. It seems that's being washed away, but it remains a fact.

Wood at 12 vs Musty likely around 24ish tells me the gaps are extremely fickle. They're similar but opposite wings.

The US adding Terrance (OHL Erie) vs Musty (OHL Sudbury) seemed political and laughable.

21 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Reason given:  His team isn't very good, so that's why he's in the KHL.

Right so this makes no sense.  It's something else.

*sigh

He was loaned from SKA to Sochi because he doesn't make the SKA roster. He came up through the SKA program and has signed with them. Next year I'd suspect he makes their roster.

What I'm saying is, "he's playing in the KHL" is a bit superficial. He's playing for what amounts to the KHL farm team.

EVERYBODY looks like Gretzky in highlight packages. I don't bother with them.

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

*sigh

He was loaned from SKA to Sochi because he doesn't make the SKA roster. He came up through the SKA program and has signed with them. Next year I'd suspect he makes their roster.

What I'm saying is, "he's playing in the KHL" is a bit superficial. He's playing for what amounts to the KHL farm team.

EVERYBODY looks like Gretzky in highlight packages. I don't bother with them.

I know lol.   But how many times on here have you told me X player's #s can't be trusted because they are on a really good team?

Then a borderline generational talent puts up big numbers on a really bad team, and that makes it suspect?

I'm an If Then And Or kinda guy and this rocks my world lol.    He got loaned to a KHL team because he was way too good to be playing on a VHL team.   He made the SKA team a whole season ago, not next season.  They just did what would give him the most minutes at the highest level, and he flourished with it.   We don't operate that way in NA, but he wasn't being cast aside.

Fyi....I Do know what you mean.   I think.  Good teams have those easy minutes where sometimes a line just needs a pylon.  Seen it many times.    Bad teams have free ice time.  I get it.

But no matter which team you're on, you face the same kind of competition in order to score goals, and his goal totals are healthy.   

Don't get me wrong I'm definitely not saying he sucks. His frame will be needing at least another 30lbs of muscle as he develops. He's a score machine. Will go top 5 np.

Fedorov is his agent, let's see where Detroit lands in tomorrow's lottery.lol

But you can rest assured Fedorov is talking to teams about not being deterred for any reason.

• Like 1

In the draft lottery telecast, do they just do the countdown or do they get a chance to spend a minute to discuss how the team did and what their needs are and what prospects are ranked on their range according to projected needs?

Be interesting if they did that? spent a minute being like, this is what the flames have on their cupboard, they will graduate in these many years, they have UFA leaving around these years and here are a list of prospects in their range that fit their future projected needs and how long the pick might take to make it...

49 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

In the draft lottery telecast, do they just do the countdown or do they get a chance to spend a minute to discuss how the team did and what their needs are and what prospects are ranked on their range according to projected needs?

Be interesting if they did that? spent a minute being like, this is what the flames have on their cupboard, they will graduate in these many years, they have UFA leaving around these years and here are a list of prospects in their range that fit their future projected needs and how long the pick might take to make it...

The NHL draft lottery is general a wasted opportunity for networks to generate views.  The NHL also handles it almost as a nuisance and doesn't hype it up like they could.  They don't make it a big deal.

In regards to team needs, I mean, that usually happens at the day of the draft.  They discuss every team briefly.

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

It's drawn out to intensify the agony for the GM's that sit with the best chance at winning it.

It's so dumb.

The show the team that is picking at position 16.

If it's the team that was ranked there, the lotto hasn't gone.

If one team doesn't show in the expected spot, then you know they moved up.

It's messed up though, since a team at 12 or later isn't winning the 1st overall.

Yager and Danielson are going to be talked about a lot in the next month or so.

For the 22/23 season, both had almost identical point totals.

Yager 67gp 28g-50a=78pts

Danielson 68gp 33g-45a=78pts

Not exactly an apples to apples comparison, Danielson is a year older. He was still a good player last season 57pts in 53 games. I think there's a fun debate to have between the two players though. Do you take the older player, that's a captain, but on a really poor team. Or do you take the younger, higher upside player, but by most accounts underwhelmed this year?

For the 23/24 year, it will likely be Danielson's last in the Dub. He will likely be a premium TDL asset in the Western league. Yager will once again be playing on a very good MJ team.

There are merits to both players. Yes, Danielson is older, but to be a captain at his age in the Dub is notable. He's also carrying the Wheat Kings all by himself most nights. But I would lean Yager. More production was expected from him, but he was really good in the playoffs, Moose Jaw has been the only team to scare Winnipeg, he was a big part of that. He also changed his game this year from just a scorer, to a more well-rounded offensive threat, doubled his assist total.

40 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Wish the draft lottery was unweighted.  One ball per team.

And then throw the balls into a 5-minute long marble run and let the marbles settle it.  Should make for good TV.

The lotto 649 draws on Saturday night when I was a child was more exciting. Why not just pull the ball out one at a time and it's in the order it comes. 

7 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Yager and Danielson are going to be talked about a lot in the next month or so.

For the 22/23 season, both had almost identical point totals.

Yager 67gp 28g-50a=78pts

Danielson 68gp 33g-45a=78pts

Not exactly an apples to apples comparison, Danielson is a year older. He was still a good player last season 57pts in 53 games. I think there's a fun debate to have between the two players though. Do you take the older player, that's a captain, but on a really poor team. Or do you take the younger, higher upside player, but by most accounts underwhelmed this year?

For the 23/24 year, it will likely be Danielson's last in the Dub. He will likely be a premium TDL asset in the Western league. Yager will once again be playing on a very good MJ team.

There are merits to both players. Yes, Danielson is older, but to be a captain at his age in the Dub is notable. He's also carrying the Wheat Kings all by himself most nights. But I would lean Yager. More production was expected from him, but he was really good in the playoffs, Moose Jaw has been the only team to scare Winnipeg, he was a big part of that. He also changed his game this year from just a scorer, to a more well-rounded offensive threat, doubled his assist total.

Unfortunately, I think all the RHS will be taken by 16.  Yager, Danielson, Reinbacher, and Sandin-pellikka gone.  We will be left to choose between Perreault, Barlow, or Wood. 

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Unfortunately, I think all the RHS will be taken by 16.  Yager, Danielson, Reinbacher, and Sandin-pellikka gone.  We will be left to choose between Perreault, Barlow, or Wood. 

Left to choose from 2 potentially better options in Barlow and Wood? I'm all for it. Can't see it happening.

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Left to choose from 2 potentially better options in Barlow and Wood? I'm all for it. Can't see it happening.

We should probably just start using MW now, it's impossible to safely put him in a sentence.

So if by a miracle the Flames move up to 6th. Who do you hope to see the Flames pick? 

1 and 2 are definitely gone.

In about 4 hrs this will be a redundant😜

Mitchkov would be mine. Worth the wait and potential risk if he is available.

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I knew someone was going to say that but it's not better overall.  Organization is flooded with LHS prospects already... just like every other.  RHS simply more valuable.

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I knew someone was going to say that but it's not better overall.  Organization is flooded with LHS prospects already... just like every other.  RHS simply more valuable.

That's Wad I trying to tell these guys bout Francis man

So.   IMHO it somewhat depends if they have first line potential.  First line anything is valuable.  

But I'm....basically with you on this.  I just think, you gotta find a way to get that valuable position but still go bpa.

In this particular hypothetical scenario...MW is RHS RW.  no?

1 minute ago, jjgallow said:

That's Wad I trying to tell these guys bout Francis man

So.   IMHO it somewhat depends if they have first line potential.  First line anything is valuable.  

But I'm....basically with you on this.  I just think, you gotta find a way to get that valuable position but still go bpa.

In this particular hypothetical scenario...MW is RHS RW.  no?

Yups the separation between 10th and 16th pick is so close that I think teams ahead of us will take the RHS.  We will get a good player but a good LHS player.  And then 5 years from now wonder why we don't have RHS C/RW and have to force LHS LW to play RW.

24 minutes ago, Otown72 said:

So if by a miracle the Flames move up to 6th. Who do you hope to see the Flames pick? 

1 and 2 are definitely gone.

In about 4 hrs this will be a redundant😜

Mitchkov would be mine. Worth the wait and potential risk if he is available.

It's too bad the best we can do is 6th.  There's 4 studs in this draft and Michkov might drop one to 5th.  At 6th, we get the first pick of that next cliff.

18 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Handedness means little. Would you pick Lindholm over Barkov due to handedness?

• Like 1