2023 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

11 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Watched three more draft eligibles.

Samuel Honzek- He reminds me a lot of Adam Ruzicka in terms of a prospect. There is talent, but there's also inconsistencies in effort and attention to detail. 16th would be too early for him IMO.

Matthew Wood- He just turned 18 and he was the best player on UConn. That's really something. RHS, good size at 6'3". Ties to Alberta. The issue for me is the skating, which could lower his ceiling as an NHLer.

Oliver Moore- I really like this player. Speed and skill. My viewings he was also a pretty decent defensive player for a draft eligible. Didn't play much with Smith and Leonard from what I've seen.

Nice. I was actually wondering if Honzek's comparable might be Ruzicka based solely on scouting reports.

I think Wood's skating is mainly due to his frame. It will improve as he fills out. Everything else is pretty darn solid.

Moore is speed. He's the 2nd line C to Smith so doesn't spend a lot of time with Leonard/Perrault.

I lean to putting Moore and Brindley as very similar as players. Can absolute fly and play at high pace and be responsible in all 3 zones.

I get Joey Willis with Saginaw vs Sting rn. Not very noticeable after 2 games. One of their top guys is Michael Misa...he's 16!!

Cameron Allen last round. He'll be a 2nd rder. He's a good puck-moving dman and he's solid defensively.

10 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Can't help but wonder how our draft will work with BT leaving. Is Maloney running the show or does this get addressed quickly? I hope Conroy isn't our point man.

2 months or less to have a GM level decision making process in place.  

The GM is really the guy that approves the draft list and makes trades with positions or players.

Coming up to an off-season that will make or break this franchise.

Last think I want to see is Mr. Bean on the phone on the draft floor....

Mr Bean Rowan Atkinson GIF - Mr Bean Rowan Atkinson Phone Call - Discover &  Share GIFs

Expectation should be the Maloney runs it as the interim GM. not sure if he delegates it but that's his job as the interim GM. 

If the Flames go external for the hire then the new candidate likely won't start until after the draft (unless the person is currently not employed by a team maybe) but no one currently employed in the league is likely to be in the chair at the draft. Don't want draft secrets shared. 

So I would expect Maloney to run it unless they promote internally. 

• Like 1

After more thought / reflection, considering @conundrumed's comments, crunching more numbers, and most importantly doing thorough inteviews with parents, coaches, friends, priests etc,

I'm kinda thinking Reinbacher.

At first I wasn't sure about the potential.  Now I'm kind of thinking yes, he has high upside and you can make that 1A projection with him realistically.  RHS RD, 6'2, checks all boxes but still has the high upside.

If he drops to us, and defencemen always drop because GMs have short lifespans...  I think it would be very, very hard to find a more valuable asset at our pick or a more appropriate one when we go into this rebuild we're not having.

Build out from the net, doesn't get better than this.  And would still be BPA.

on unrelated note I'd still like to see us pick up another goalie.  Russia has some good ones here, Khazheyev and Zavragin.  

• Like 1

On 4/20/2023 at 4:43 AM, jjgallow said:

After more thought / reflection, considering @conundrumed's comments, crunching more numbers, and most importantly doing thorough inteviews with parents, coaches, friends, priests etc,

I'm kinda thinking Reinbacher.

At first I wasn't sure about the potential.  Now I'm kind of thinking yes, he has high upside and you can make that 1A projection with him realistically.  RHS RD, 6'2, checks all boxes but still has the high upside.

If he drops to us, and defencemen always drop because GMs have short lifespans...  I think it would be very, very hard to find a more valuable asset at our pick or a more appropriate one when we go into this rebuild we're not having.

Build out from the net, doesn't get better than this.  And would still be BPA.

on unrelated note I'd still like to see us pick up another goalie.  Russia has some good ones here, Khazheyev and Zavragin.  

I doubt Reinbacher drops to us because it's hard to see 15 teams in front of us not need a D prospect.  

11 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Any chance Oliver Moore drops down to us?

Yes. It should be close. Gavin Brindley is likely the most similar to Moore if that is what we want. Moore should be very close to 16th, Brindley around just after our pick as far as rankings go. It will all depend on what other teams value.

There will be a lot of strong options around 16 regardless.

For fwds, those 2 + Wood, Ritchie, Danielson, But, Heidt, Dvorsky, Yager, Sale, Leonard should be in the 10-25 range.

Add in 3-4 dmen.

It must be superfun team scout-fighting to iron out a straight list out of all of that.

I'd be really happy with Wood at 16. But there's a lot there for players.

I'm kinda hoping Canada's u18 captain D Cam Allen will be there in rd 2. I really like his D, skating and puck-moving. I've seen a lot of him. But I'm prolly reaching at 48oa.

I have to cheer against the Isles because Detroit has their 1st via Van. I hate the Flames and drafts. Last year was a waste due to no picks.

Then I look at Detroit. 9th before lottery, 18th (NYI) likely, 41, 42, 43 in rd 2. That's superfun for fans and depth for the org.

I soooo wish Flames ownership could see the immense value in that rather than seat-of-your pants plug and play trades and NEEDING UFA-hunting due to little depth. Vicious cycle.

*end rant

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Yes. It should be close. Gavin Brindley is likely the most similar to Moore if that is what we want. Moore should be very close to 16th, Brindley around just after our pick as far as rankings go. It will all depend on what other teams value.

There will be a lot of strong options around 16 regardless.

For fwds, those 2 + Wood, Ritchie, Danielson, But, Heidt, Dvorsky, Yager, Sale, Leonard should be in the 10-25 range.

Add in 3-4 dmen.

It must be superfun team scout-fighting to iron out a straight list out of all of that.

I'd be really happy with Wood at 16. But there's a lot there for players.

I'm kinda hoping Canada's u18 captain D Cam Allen will be there in rd 2. I really like his D, skating and puck-moving. I've seen a lot of him. But I'm prolly reaching at 48oa.

I have to cheer against the Isles because Detroit has their 1st via Van. I hate the Flames and drafts. Last year was a waste due to no picks.

Then I look at Detroit. 9th before lottery, 18th (NYI) likely, 41, 42, 43 in rd 2. That's superfun for fans and depth for the org.

I soooo wish Flames ownership could see the immense value in that rather than seat-of-your pants plug and play trades and NEEDING UFA-hunting due to little depth. Vicious cycle.

*end rant

Can I ask that you guys that follow players and know approx. where they should get picked, please make a list just prior to the draft?  I knew about Coronato when we got him.  There are players that seem to drop and we don't pick them.  

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Can I ask that you guys that follow players and know approx. where they should get picked, please make a list just prior to the draft?  I knew about Coronato when we got him.  There are players that seem to drop and we don't pick them.  

I've been keeping one for about a month. I'll share for sure. This draft's deep in the sense that most are. It's difficult to run 7ish to 25. Leaving out guys for sure. Us at 16 isn't just picking at the leftovers. 48 can be a great pick too. No 3rd or 5th. Hopefully this is the end of pissing away picks and do the opposite.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I've been keeping one for about a month. I'll share for sure. This draft's deep in the sense that most are. It's difficult to run 7ish to 25. Leaving out guys for sure. Us at 16 isn't just picking at the leftovers. 48 can be a great pick too. No 3rd or 5th. Hopefully this is the end of pissing away picks and do the opposite.

All I ask is that you post it in a thread that will covering the draft this year.  It may be this one, hope we don't get a bunch of new topics saying the same thing.