GDT - Blue Jackets @ FLAMES - Mon 23 January 2022.

rocketdoctor

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Tonight is gonna be a tough one for the fans and the players that had his back for so many years.

Would be a great game to have Pelletier and him battling it out for the puck, but that's not likely to be a matchup we see.

Both are LW. JG should see lots of Huby I suspect.

8 minutes ago, zima said:

I love JH but will not forgive him on how he left this team without an option for a pick I thought that was very childish 

He made a very adult decision to put his family first.  When he was looking to sign the year before, the team was unable to come to a deal.

Making the decision he did hurt him just as much.  Not a lot of choice for him.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He made a very adult decision to put his family first.  When he was looking to sign the year before, the team was unable to come to a deal.

Making the decision he did hurt him just as much.  Not a lot of choice for him.

Lies

3 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Lies

Says the insider.  Gaudreau indicated that he was looking to sign the previous summer when he and his wife were looking at homes in Calgary.

You can call him a lier if it makes you feel better.  Or maybe his mom was lying.

The Flames pitched an offer to him the previous summer.

“The summer before, had they offered him a contract even remotely close, he said this would’ve been a non-issue, ‘I would’ve been in Calgary for eight more years,'” Jane said. “For whatever reason, I don’t know the politics of that world, but I guess maybe they didn’t feel they were ready to offer him a contract like that.”

Just now, travel_dude said:

It's funny to say the least.  Asked about his game against Tampa, he said he really only made a couple of saves.

But you need to make those saves.  I was thinking about a breakdown where he stopped a sure goal.

Sutter is NEVER transparent with the media. It's like a Harvey's hamburger, it's a beautiful thing.

Just now, conundrumed said:

Sutter is NEVER transparent with the media. It's like a Harvey's hamburger, it's a beautiful thing.

I always wonder what's actually in a Harvey burger.

Tastes good, but they look like the old Alpo dog food patties that they sold in the 80/90's.

With Sutter, there is no point in asking about who is in or who is out.

Preferred last year's more honest answer though.

He was a treat last year, this year just grumpy.

It seems like Sutter is tired of talking about expectations, play of some players, need for improvement, scoring.

Like it or not, the coach is the connection to the fans.

Don't need to give away tradecraft, but stop feeding the media circus.

51 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Says the insider.  Gaudreau indicated that he was looking to sign the previous summer when he and his wife were looking at homes in Calgary.

You can call him a lier if it makes you feel better.  Or maybe his mom was lying.

“The summer before, had they offered him a contract even remotely close, he said this would’ve been a non-issue, ‘I would’ve been in Calgary for eight more years,'” Jane said. “For whatever reason, I don’t know the politics of that world, but I guess maybe they didn’t feel they were ready to offer him a contract like that.”

Doesn't have to be a liar in this situation. They key phrase here is what does "remotely close" mean? Remotely close to the 10.5 they offered him last summer, well what do you think the reaction would be if the Flames had signed Gaudreau to a 10.5 AAV coming off 70 pts in 126 games and yet another fizzle job in the playoffs? Remotely close to what he signed for in Columbus? Same logic holds.  Takes two sides to make a deal and perhaps both got their valuation wrong but I think it's important to point out that negotiations in 2021 would look a fair bit different than negotiations in 2022.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

JG led BT down the make-believe path for 14 months then signed with the worst team in the NHL no where near his home 13 days later after exhausting every other avenue. Goes to show you where the Flames were on his list. He always wanted to be State side preferably in the NE but would never say it because it would hurt his potential offers in FA. I have moved on, most Flame fans have moved on, but he was never 100% honest with the Flames.

Yeah, I'm a bit sad about Johnny. I bought tickets for this game. I'll definitely cheer during the tribute, and I won't throw my jersey on the ice, but I really would have preferred to have seen 13 in the rafters in 10-15 years. So tonight I'll go say goodbye to an old friend, and then he can ride off into the sunset, and I'll likely exhibit about as much interest in Columbus Blue Jackets hockey as I have for the last few seasons.

Love.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Yeah, I'm a bit sad about Johnny. I bought tickets for this game. I'll definitely cheer during the tribute, and I won't throw my jersey on the ice, but I really would have preferred to have seen 13 in the rafters in 10-15 years. So tonight I'll go say goodbye to an old friend, and then he can ride off into the sunset, and I'll likely exhibit about as much interest in Columbus Blue Jackets hockey as I have for the last few seasons.

Love.

What I will miss the most is the exciting buzz that came with Gaudreau carrying the puck.  

Almost like the collective Dome was expecting to see a show stopper, again.

I often wonder what we would have been like with both Gaudreau and Huberdeau on the same team.

Wouldn't have Kadri and likely still would need to trade Monahan.

When this team figures out how to play a defensive game while still being able to score more than 2 goals, it should be fun.

Saying that we lost 2x40 goals scorers and we now have to play 3-2 games is a crock.

3 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Love.

Great point. He was a key player for this club for many years, that should be acknowledge. However, once he gets this tribute, he is the enemy. Its points and wins before friendships. On a side note Beadard is going to be a great fit along JG next season