The Hockey Thread

conundrumed

Okay. So I'm getting effing jacked. I just can't see how the Sting can lose to London. Stay away from Hunter's dirty crap, don't react (Captain Gillingham, I mean you).

The firepower is over the top. Voit, Burke, Pastujov, Del Bel Belluz, Del Mastro, Kyrou, Mast. Secondary with Vilmanis, Sikic, Filak, Limpar-Lantz, Wainwright...

I just can't see London matching. Gaudreau's been solid and needs to continue.

I don't know kids, this is the best Sting roster that I've ever seen. Just crushed the TDL.

The other conference final is Peterborough-North Bay.

The only way I can see the Sting not winning the O is arrogance. They get too confident too often for my liking. If they aren't pressing offence they look kinda disinterested. When they're up by 2 with 5 minutes left they'll still have 4 too low in the O-zone. It kinda drives me nuts. They really don't play protect-the-lead, like, at all.

London's likely to drag it into the alley if the Sting jump all over them. That's always been London's m.o. Sarnia HAS to ignore it.

Well Satoshi Nakamoto. Out-goalied and Kyrou needs to remember that he's a dman and not a winger.. Game 1 goes to London, 4-1.

Sarnia took the 1-0 lead by finishing a rebound, then they started trying to be pretty with rebounds. London's fast, Sarnia's D(Kyrou particularly) giving up inexcusable 2-on-1s.

OHL reffing is horrendous, though not blaming it.

Pastujov took a hard crosscheck behind the net and got a penalty for it. I think because London already took 2 penalties and the refs needed to start evening up.

London plays Hunter hockey, penalties everywhere if the game is called correctly.

Sarnia took 2 more penalties for dmen knocking down London players being overly-aggressive on smothered pucks. Not crosschecks or infractions at all.

So, and believe it or not I don't believe this is bias...London plays a pretty dirty game while the refs try to keep the calls even. We may not have a chance if we can't just have a game reffed by the rulebook. But OHL reffing is generally horrendous on a good day. Quick reviews are 5 mins. Half of them leave even the commentators baffled, even if it favours their team.

Watch any OHL game and you'll agree. It's bizarro-world when it comes to officiating. Reviews are littered with contradictions to the point that you'll have zero idea what you're certain about. You stop guessing. Just give it the, "here we go" and wait 10 minutes for some bizarre result without explanation half the time.

It definitely takes my edge off of NHL reffing. OHL reffing is easily the worst you'll see anywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Fun thread.

Here's a list of rinks I've been to

The Dome

Obviously been many times. Fav game being game 7 against Dallas. That was such a nervous building heading into OT.

Rogers Place

- been there three times. Saw them play VAN, LA and TB

Scotiabank Arena

Went to a pair of games in the fall. Very expensive not much atmosphere.

MSG

Saw the Rangers play the Pens. Unfortunately, it was game 81 or 82 between two playoff teams. Lots of guys sat out.

Prudential Centre

Same trip as MSG. They were playing NYI and this was back when Ho-Sang was just starting with the Isles and was highly though of.

Bridgestone Arena

Went to games 2 and 3 in 2017 of the WCF against the Ducks. Was an absolutely phenomenal atmosphere. Probably my favourite venue.

Staples Centre

Only rink where I saw the Flames play on the road. This was in 2014 I think. It was a bad Flames team but they won on a late goal by Brodie I think. One of Monahan's first games.

Honda Centre

Been multiple times. Nice little rink. Tickets are cheap.

Heritage Classic in Regina

Went to the game. It wasn't all that cold but the wind was tough to deal with lol.

The Centrium in Red Deer

Had season tickets for years. Times have changed though. It used to be so affordable and the crowds were massive. It's no longer as cheap and the crowds are significantly smaller. RD and CGY games during the 05 lockout were excellent.

I've been to 19 MLB stadiums. I prefer baseball or football in terms of going on a sports trip. Can see lots of hockey at home.

On 5/16/2023 at 11:36 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

Fun thread.

Here's a list of rinks I've been to

The Dome

Obviously been many times. Fav game being game 7 against Dallas. That was such a nervous building heading into OT.

Rogers Place

- been there three times. Saw them play VAN, LA and TB

Scotiabank Arena

Went to a pair of games in the fall. Very expensive not much atmosphere.

MSG

Saw the Rangers play the Pens. Unfortunately, it was game 81 or 82 between two playoff teams. Lots of guys sat out.

Prudential Centre

Same trip as MSG. They were playing NYI and this was back when Ho-Sang was just starting with the Isles and was highly though of.

Bridgestone Arena

Went to games 2 and 3 in 2017 of the WCF against the Ducks. Was an absolutely phenomenal atmosphere. Probably my favourite venue.

Staples Centre

Only rink where I saw the Flames play on the road. This was in 2014 I think. It was a bad Flames team but they won on a late goal by Brodie I think. One of Monahan's first games.

Honda Centre

Been multiple times. Nice little rink. Tickets are cheap.

Heritage Classic in Regina

Went to the game. It wasn't all that cold but the wind was tough to deal with lol.

The Centrium in Red Deer

Had season tickets for years. Times have changed though. It used to be so affordable and the crowds were massive. It's no longer as cheap and the crowds are significantly smaller. RD and CGY games during the 05 lockout were excellent.

I've been to 19 MLB stadiums. I prefer baseball or football in terms of going on a sports trip. Can see lots of hockey at home.

Holy crap that's a lot of tailgate parties.lol I frequented the Centrium doing a pretty big job there in the Getzlaf-Phaneuf era. Always superfun. If you ever heard anyone yelling at Getzlaf to play angry, that was me. Getlaf-the-floater sucked. Getzlaf-the-pissed was a whole other world.lol

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a superfun story made for this thread.

2 nights ago my Reddit feed had a post from this Ukrainian kid playing u15 Czechia headed for U17. He was asking people to like, follow and any advice.

Here's where it got really fun. He added a link to his elite prospects profile. Yesterday he was #1 in "Trending Players" on their site (most searched).

Now the kid has another 50,000+ people cheering him on to make his dream real.

Aaaaand, it really doesn't look like he's bad at hockeying.lol

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/982799/myroslav-spaskin

• 1 month later...

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/history-through-our-eyes/history-through-our-eyes-dec-27-1977-wayne-gretzky-blossoms-at-world-juniors

“It was an incredible performance from a boy-man who lacks the size to tough it at the junior level and is a very average skater at best, but simply overcomes with an incredible puck sense, particularly around the opposition net. Once he gets the puck across an opponent’s blue line, defences start running around like chickens in a barnyard, as he drives his elders nutty with little fakes, tiny delays, hard shots, and soft-as-silk passes,” the Gazette’s Doug Gilbert wrote. “There is no doubt Wayne Gretzky’s future lies in professional hockey.”

Too bad that kid didn't have the size or skating to make it in junior.

• 4 months later...

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/man-arrested-adam-johnson-death-hockey-england-1.7027808

Wow! 

I wonder if Hockey will ever go this route, where someone attacks a guy, like the Bertuzzi/Moore incident, and I guess they settled out of court? But in real life, these kinds of attacks would be criminal. The way some use their skates, I wouldn't say many have deliberately tried to injure by kicking, but it has happened to me in a beer league game where a player down kicked at my shins, skate first. Dangerous. When does a hit turn into intent to injure? 

18 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/man-arrested-adam-johnson-death-hockey-england-1.7027808

Wow! 

I wonder if Hockey will ever go this route, where someone attacks a guy, like the Bertuzzi/Moore incident, and I guess they settled out of court? But in real life, these kinds of attacks would be criminal. The way some use their skates, I wouldn't say many have deliberately tried to injure by kicking, but it has happened to me in a beer league game where a player down kicked at my shins, skate first. Dangerous. When does a hit turn into intent to injure? 

Yeah, I'm very interested to see where this goes, or what the justification is for laying the charge. Is this a Bertuzzi/Moore incident, or is it a Tuttle/Malarchuk incident?

If they are laying the charge, there has to be some justification that it's more like the former. If not, that's a super dangerous precedent.

Love.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Yeah, I'm very interested to see where this goes, or what the justification is for laying the charge. Is this a Bertuzzi/Moore incident, or is it a Tuttle/Malarchuk incident?

If they are laying the charge, there has to be some justification that it's more like the former. If not, that's a super dangerous precedent.

Love.

Somewhat related, but nothing was really even reviewed or looked at this either whereas a bit higher with the blade the same outcome could have happened.

Visors for eyes , what's wrong with mandatory neck guards in the NHL?

Considering probably thee most vulnerable place on the human body.  "excluding the nuts of course".

Interesting discussion though. 

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

The video of the incident is horrific. Really, really horrific. My friend showed me and now I'm mad at him. Blockchaining horrendous. Kung Fu kick to the throat, the blood. I wish that I could unsee it.

If you haven't seen it, don't. You don't want to, believe me. It will break you.

100% agree its horrific, that specific video should be removed imo.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

The video of the incident is horrific. Really, really horrific. My friend showed me and now I'm mad at him. Blockchaining horrendous. Kung Fu kick to the throat, the blood. I wish that I could unsee it.

If you haven't seen it, don't. You don't want to, believe me. It will break you.

Naw I'm good.  No desire to watch it.

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I watched the Faces of Death series when I was like 10-years-old.  Different times.  And then there was the decades of 4chan gore gifs.  Mexican cartel live face de-skinning videos that puts Taliban deheading videos to shame.  I'm desensitized, to put it mildly. 

This is like low grade gore to me but yes, murder nonetheless.  I've seen the replay many times from all angles.  At least manslaughter as a result of negligence, to which, everyone who plays hockey should be responsible for each other's safety, by law. 

Kicking the skates up that high... I mean, 1000% the kick was intentional as per the video.  He took the wrong angle and was about to get beat to the inside so he stuck out his leg to get a piece.  Kicking the leg out was not an accident.  The result was almost 1000% unintentional (giving him max benefit of doubt).  The intention was not to kill but to get a piece.  How much the penalty should be for accidentally killing someone with a skate kick will be up to the courts but to me, this was a complete disregard for the well-being of another human being.

14 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I watched the Faces of Death series when I was like 10-years-old.  Different times.  And then there was the decades of 4chan gore gifs.  Mexican cartel live face de-skinning videos that puts Taliban deheading videos to shame.  I'm desensitized, to put it mildly. 

This is like low grade gore to me but yes, murder nonetheless.  I've seen the replay many times from all angles.  At least manslaughter as a result of negligence, to which, everyone who plays hockey should be responsible for each other's safety, by law. 

Kicking the skates up that high... I mean, 1000% the kick was intentional as per the video.  He took the wrong angle and was about to get beat to the inside so he stuck out his leg to get a piece.  Kicking the leg out was not an accident.  The result was almost 1000% unintentional (giving him max benefit of doubt).  The intention was not to kill but to get a piece.  How much the penalty should be for accidentally killing someone with a skate kick will be up to the courts but to me, this was a complete disregard for the well-being of another human being.

This is exactly how I see it. There is just no logical hockey reason for me to have your skate blade up that high in that situation. Off balance etc doesn't explain it. Malarchuk was a fluke accident, Zednik a fluke accdient, this one feels very different to me. 

Is it manslaughter, I have no idea but I 100% support this guy receiving charges because he should for sure answer for the death of a human due to completely careless and unnecessary actions. 

• Like 1