Dillon Dube - 2016 2nd rd(56th)

conundrumed

I was going to rant on and on about him in the game thread so I figured, "just create a thread", because there is a lot to discuss.

Looking at his draft class, who else would you take? We took Fox in rd 3 so he's out.

Dude's a gamer. I feel when we're playing like duds he's always the guy that is trying to turn it around with no help.

Often the throwaway trade fodder with fans, always running throughout the lineup for Sutter.

I think Sutter quietly loves him and forces him into situations to make him better (C, Left-side).

Personally, I think he left the A a year early in hindsight, but we're all impatient.

Dube is an excellent case study to our ppg AHL guys now.

I'd point at Robertson in Dallas too. Jim Nill (come back to Detroit,lol) definitely let him ferment before putting him on the big team.

But back to Dube. He does everything you want, and not a peep out of him.

He's turning the corner into a really good top 6 forward.

It takes time. He's really coming into his own.

I love that we have him.

27 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

So what you're saying is that to get buy in from you to trade him, we should be looking to Detroit... I hear they've got some good young players and prospects!

Love.

But we'd be trading one of our few players that plays with heart.

Oh right, we do that. But I thought we just let them walk?

I'd love him on Detroit, perfect age. Want Zadina?lol

We could prolly throw in a dman not named Seider, Hronek, Edvinnson or Wallinder...still leaves some decent ones.

I full on can't believe Maata being treated like a plug around the league for how good he's actually been. What a bargain!

54 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I was going to rant on and on about him in the game thread so I figured, "just create a thread", because there is a lot to discuss.

Looking at his draft class, who else would you take? We took Fox in rd 3 so he's out.

Dude's a gamer. I feel when we're playing like duds he's always the guy that is trying to turn it around with no help.

Often the throwaway trade fodder with fans, always running throughout the lineup for Sutter.

I think Sutter quietly loves him and forces him into situations to make him better (C, Left-side).

Personally, I think he left the A a year early in hindsight, but we're all impatient.

Dube is an excellent case study to our ppg AHL guys now.

I'd point at Robertson in Dallas too. Jim Nill (come back to Detroit,lol) definitely let him ferment before putting him on the big team.

But back to Dube. He does everything you want, and not a peep out of him.

He's turning the corner into a really good top 6 forward.

It takes time. He's really coming into his own.

I love that we have him.

Looking at every player drafted after him besides Fox.  Bratt is the only slamdunk better player, Hagel is debatable and Colton is ballpark production wise but 2 years older and playing with future hall of famers.  So in total 1 player out of the 155 or so drafted after him that is clearly better.  Dube is a win for the Flames.

• Like 1

topic should read 2016 :)

Straight up, it was a good pick.  I'll say it on record.  Was it the best pick no, but a good pick yes.

Imho, still should be considered in trades.  I hate to say it.  Just being honest.  And yes it's a size thing.   But I'm not "must trade Dube".

Ok so hindsight:   Straight up, I admit this is a hard one.  But I still think it's worth learning from.

Best move Flames could have made would have been to take their 2 late 2nd rounders, and combine them to upgrade.   Even if it was an early 2nd rounder.  Or a 1st.

Basically there was nothing obvious below Dube.   But there was a LOT obvious just a few spots above him.   And I think it would be fair to say we knew it at the time.  Some blindingly obvious, like taking a risk on Debrincat.      But also, Carter Hart was a known.   There were a few in the early 2nd round, and a Lot of knowns that turned out late in the first.

So I'll stretch even further.   Jesper Bratt.   When guys are going pro hockey and producing before they even get drafted, that should mean something.  I feel like they get forgotten because the scouts are going junior.   A guy producing at pro hockey level shouldn't really be a 6th rounder.    But anyway that's asking a bit much, i realise.

Great pick, still tradeable as much as I love Dube.  But great pick.  Still things to learn from.

• Like 1

I don't think there is anyone saying put him in a trade as a throwaway.

You trade him for the value that he is, which is high value.

He would do well on a lot of teams that are set up to make him soar.

I'm not convinced we have that team.

He has looked good so far with a couple of other players.

Do we have the other players that allow him to shine?

• conundrumed changed the title to Dillon Dube - 2016 2nd rd(56th)
14 hours ago, jjgallow said:

topic should read 2016 :)

Straight up, it was a good pick.  I'll say it on record.  Was it the best pick no, but a good pick yes.

Imho, still should be considered in trades.  I hate to say it.  Just being honest.  And yes it's a size thing.   But I'm not "must trade Dube".

Ok so hindsight:   Straight up, I admit this is a hard one.  But I still think it's worth learning from.

Best move Flames could have made would have been to take their 2 late 2nd rounders, and combine them to upgrade.   Even if it was an early 2nd rounder.  Or a 1st.

Basically there was nothing obvious below Dube.   But there was a LOT obvious just a few spots above him.   And I think it would be fair to say we knew it at the time.  Some blindingly obvious, like taking a risk on Debrincat.      But also, Carter Hart was a known.   There were a few in the early 2nd round, and a Lot of knowns that turned out late in the first.

So I'll stretch even further.   Jesper Bratt.   When guys are going pro hockey and producing before they even get drafted, that should mean something.  I feel like they get forgotten because the scouts are going junior.   A guy producing at pro hockey level shouldn't really be a 6th rounder.    But anyway that's asking a bit much, i realise.

Great pick, still tradeable as much as I love Dube.  But great pick.  Still things to learn from.

Thanks! edited. Holy ADD.lol I must have seen something shiny whilst typing.

Hot take: given a consistent top 6 role, I think Dube can be a consistent 25g 60-70pt player when he hits his prime years.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Thanks! edited. Holy ADD.lol I must have seen something shiny whilst typing.

Hot take: given a consistent top 6 role, I think Dube can be a consistent 25g 60-70pt player when he hits his prime years.

Nah. He's a career mid-6 guy.  Mangiapane flashed more offensive upside at the same age and Mange is a 55-point 2nd liner.

That's not to say Dube sucks.  He hockeys very well without scoring and teams need that throughout the lineup.  As you mentioned, plays hard, has a great attitude whatever situation he's played in by Sutter, doesn't complain.  Never takes a shift off.  Just goes out there and does his job.  Extremely likeable.

If he can forever stay in this $2.3-to-$3.5-mil range then he's a keeper long term.

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Nah. He's a career mid-6 guy.  Mangiapane flashed more offensive upside at the same age and Mange is a 55-point 2nd liner.

That's not to say Dube sucks.  He hockeys very well without scoring and teams need that throughout the lineup.  As you mentioned, plays hard, has a great attitude whatever situation he's played in by Sutter, doesn't complain.  Never takes a shift off.  Just goes out there and does his job.  Extremely likeable.

If he can forever stay in this $2.3-to-$3.5-mil range then he's a keeper long term.

I hope your right about Mangiapane and last year wasn't an outlier.

Because he's currently reverting back to the .4-.45ppg player.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Most of these guys, especially the slightly smaller ones, actually peak at the age they're at now.    They hold market value at their peak because people think their prime is ahead of them, and because for every 50 of them one turns into Martin St Louis.

I really like Mangiapane.  Probably should have traded him.  I really like Dube, probably should trade him.

Gaudreau.....cough cough.

But that's just the business side of it.  Player ways, he's fantastic.   And a great draft pick.  From that perspective very happy to have him here.

I do agree that he could do significantly better on a different team, I think that's a fair statement.   Unfortunately with BT/Sutter, we won't see that until either:

1.  he is completely ground down and has zero trade value

2.  right before he contract year when he goes UFA

• 2 weeks later...

Dube is getting plum assignments.

Lucic is too, but the guy right behind Dube in production (in less games) Ruzicka gets the 4th line.

Dube has ignored the Sutter talk and decided he would be the fittest player on the ice; it shows.

He has speed to burn.

Ruzie needs to embrace that and not worry about the coach; coach is a jerk.

52 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Lucic is too, but the guy right behind Dube in production (in less games) Ruzicka gets the 4th line.

Dube has ignored the Sutter talk and decided he would be the fittest player on the ice; it shows.

He has speed to burn.

they did say Ruzie came in shape too. But if he can keep it up. I find him awkward still, like a lot of new players to Sutter, playing to not make mistakes. It doesn't look free. 

On 1/5/2023 at 3:57 PM, travel_dude said:

He has speed to burn.

Enough already. You've trade proposed him more times than I care to remember. He's earned the "plum" assignments.

If the whole team fought for pucks like he does we'd be sailing.

I've always felt Sutter loves him because he's the hardest worker on the entire team. His biggest fault is teammates not working as hard to help him out.

He'll do everything to win a puck only to look and wonder wtf his teammates are doing.

His play is severely underrated. Some games he looks like the only one who gaf.

I really wish his fight was contagious, he deserves an 'A' if we're supposed to be a hardworking team.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Enough already. You've trade proposed him more times than I care to remember. He's earned the "plum" assignments.

If the whole team fought for pucks like he does we'd be sailing.

I've always felt Sutter loves him because he's the hardest worker on the entire team. His biggest fault is teammates not working as hard to help him out.

He'll do everything to win a puck only to look and wonder wtf his teammates are doing.

His play is severely underrated. Some games he looks like the only one who gaf.

I really wish his fight was contagious, he deserves an 'A' if we're supposed to be a hardworking team.

I may have proposed him in trades, but that's because he's one of the few that has value.

Low contract cost, young player.

If he was a bit bigger (not his heart), he would be top 3 on any team.

My biggest beef is him getting crushed on the boards.

He's adjusted that this year to everyone's happiness.

I don't know that Sutter loved him, but he's finally noticed that Dube is getting better every game.

Some of that is he fights for his space and time.

One of the few that never looks gassed.

High compete level.

As far as the plum assignments, that's not an insult.

He's earned it and Mange hasn't.

Mange does other things well that don't show up on the scoresheet, though.

He's not scoring because his positioning is a bit off, makes stupid moves when he gains the zone.

I would be fine with the top 9 lines, if we didn't have Lucic anywhere near.

If that means a trade or a prospect coming up, so be it.

We can't maintain with Lucic out there.

Lucky to have Varly in nets last night, but we aren't beating any top 10 team that way.

• 1 month later...