GDT - Panthers @ Flames Tuesday Nov 29/22 7pm Start

DirtyDeeds

Ok, so overall, not a bad game from Calgary; not great but not bad either.  It’s nice to see some passing actually on the tape more often than not.  We saw most of the team showing added effort, Lucic and Lewis excluded.  Vladar played awesome! Hubie starting to play to form.  Mangie looked more tenacious tonight than we’ve seen lately.  Playing more north/south game tonight.  Liked Weegar and Tanev tonight, great defense.

Hope we see more of this to come!!

2 hours ago, flames for life said:

Ok, so overall, not a bad game from Calgary; not great but not bad either.  It’s nice to see some passing actually on the tape more often than not.  We saw most of the team showing added effort, Lucic and Lewis excluded.  Vladar played awesome! Hubie starting to play to form.  Mangie looked more tenacious tonight than we’ve seen lately.  Playing more north/south game tonight.  Liked Weegar and Tanev tonight, great defense.

Hope we see more of this to come!!

i kind of think there might be a Lucic Lewis bias happening. While not great I saw effort from Lucic. Lewis maybe less noticeable. 

8 hours ago, redfire11 said:

Lack of energy from Ruzie tonight   Maybe a stint with Lucic and Lewis might get his effort renewed 

A couple games in a row on the bench might refocus Markstrom.

I think he needs a bit more training.  He's getting off the ice sooner than Backlund or Coleman.

It's not effort IMHO.  He had very good shifts and ones where he was gassed.

He had a couple solid chances, one sailed over the net by inches and the other deflected.

But Sutter may have seen differently and do something with it, which I think is a mistake.

Let's be honest, playing with Lucic is punishment.

It doesn't get you going from a skill standpoint and if anything you have to work harder just to stay afloat.

Ritchie is fine there because he has enough skill to make up for the others.

9 hours ago, sak22 said:

Take the W and move on, might be the worst 4 goal win I've witnessed in person.  Lots to work on, but there are some positives to draw on.

While Bob was not great, his team hung him out to dry.  FLA is a good team with multiple threats.

It really doesn't matter if it was perfect or 100% lousy, get the win.

Vladar has previously stolen points for us, so this is no different.

The thing for me that is positive is that we were dominating when we gained the zone.

At times it was a horrorshow in our zone, but that's what good teams can do to you.

We bent, but there was no point that I felt we were going to lose.

Flames haven't won an ugly one in a while and so far this season they've tended up come up on the wrong ends. They got some bounces but at least they took advantage. 

A plus more me was the Kadri line looked great. If they can get back to even 80% of what they were to start the year that's massive for the Flames. 

Good start to what I think needs to be a big December for the club as the schedule softens:

MTL

WSH

ARI

MIN

CBJ

TO

MTL

VAN

STL

SJS

SJS

LAk

ANA

EDM 

SEA 

Van

Only 4 games against teams ahead of them in the standings, almost half their games against lottery teams, and no major or overly taxing road trip. This is where the team needs to find their way and their swagger if they want to accomplish something this year. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Only 4 games against teams ahead of them in the standings, almost half their games against lottery teams, and no major or overly taxing road trip. This is where the team needs to find their way and their swagger if they want to accomplish something this year. 

It's hard to judge a team when all they did was play top teams at home and on the road.  The only two teams that are not now in the playoff hunt are Philly and BUFF, both of which went into a deep dive over the last two week.  NAS is sticking around and is getting more wins now.  I will be interested to see if our lack of scoring continues against sub 500 and near 500 teams.  Goaltending is key, since these teams still score.  Hard to win when you let in 3 or more.  

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It's hard to judge a team when all they did was play top teams at home and on the road.  The only two teams that are not now in the playoff hunt are Philly and BUFF, both of which went into a deep dive over the last two week.  NAS is sticking around and is getting more wins now.  I will be interested to see if our lack of scoring continues against sub 500 and near 500 teams.  Goaltending is key, since these teams still score.  Hard to win when you let in 3 or more.  

Flames have had a brutal schedule I agree and i think it's for sure a factor in their record. 

But they also need to prove that now that the schedule softens otherwise it will become fair to really start to question how this group fits.

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Flames have had a brutal schedule I agree and i think it's for sure a factor in their record. 

But they also need to prove that now that the schedule softens otherwise it will become fair to really start to question how this group fits.

That's what I was getting at.  Yes, the overall fit of the team at times looked bad, but also the goaltending hasn't been there either.  We lost games where we didn't score enough and the goalies didn't stop enough.  One game doesn't prove we are past that.

So, simply put, use this time to beat the teams with poor records to get to a .650+ win/loss ratio.  Win more than you lose against the remaining teams this month.  The effort is there.  The execution is mixed, but can easily improve.  4 games at home before a mini-roadie.  Get the practices in while you can.

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think he needs a bit more training.  He's getting off the ice sooner than Backlund or Coleman.

It's not effort IMHO.  He had very good shifts and ones where he was gassed.

He had a couple solid chances, one sailed over the net by inches and the other deflected.

But Sutter may have seen differently and do something with it, which I think is a mistake.

Let's be honest, playing with Lucic is punishment.

It doesn't get you going from a skill standpoint and if anything you have to work harder just to stay afloat.

Ritchie is fine there because he has enough skill to make up for the others.

I wonder also about when he gets on the ice on a change in relation to his line mates. Like if his guy he's coming on for came off earlier than the rest of the line then he'd get off earlier too. 

I thought he had good shifts. I'm pleased with how he plays, but there were times where he could have dropped a pass skating in, and he had that one extra stride that he did pass in the slot but was a bit late. It would have been a good chance. 

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I wonder also about when he gets on the ice on a change in relation to his line mates. Like if his guy he's coming on for came off earlier than the rest of the line then he'd get off earlier too. 

I thought he had good shifts. I'm pleased with how he plays, but there were times where he could have dropped a pass skating in, and he had that one extra stride that he did pass in the slot but was a bit late. It would have been a good chance. 

Some of those simple plays are more about growth and confidence.  His biggest goal right now is to learn the Nhl and how to bring his game into it.  He has had great plays, good plays, and some poorer plays; much like Hanifin, Andersson, etc, did in their first year or two.

Imo, Ruzie is progressing well.  He is learning on the fly, and when a mistake happens, we see improvement on the issue.

our biggest hurdle that I see, is a one dimensional fourth line; designed to hit, but not score or defend.  Last year’s big Ahl line was Pelletier, Ruzie, and Phillips.  Maybe it would be worthwhile putting them together as an energy fourth line?  

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I think you can go through that exercize to find out the when.

But unless it's a faceoff, it's always going to be one or ywo guys on and off.

It's really hard to tell with Backlund's line.

Get one guy out ASAP.

He's a direct player, not versed in the subtle plays.

That's Johnny who we don't have anymore.

Playing shifts in one game with Backlund or a few games with Lindholm doesn't get you used to it.

Not making excuses, just saying it takes time and communication.

He has to go with his strengths, and he isn't sure he gets to play another game.

He also is a natural C forced to play wing to stay in the game.

I think he's doing pretty good so far.

Producing 5v5 and PP.

Looks a little confused on D zone coverage since he's a winger.

Less likely to overcommit but so far looks at least as good as JG was.

I want him to work on talking plays through with his linemates.

Go over what worked.

I think there is some tendency to defer, but talk about it.