GDT - Panthers @ Flames Tuesday Nov 29/22 7pm Start

DirtyDeeds

• DirtyDeeds changed the title to GDT - Panthers @ Flames Tuesday Nov 29/22 7pm Start

Good job Deedsy.

Might want to check the Flames lines; 2 Ruzicka's.

Based on the last practice, I suspect the line may be changed a bit too.

Daily Faceoff has adjusted the lines to match practice.

By no means am I complaining.

Will be interesting to see what Ruzicka can do with Backlund.

And the return of Hiberdeau to the top line.

Minutes matter, so the top line will depend on who is playing the best and who is needed on the ice.

Will probably see Backlund and Coleman with other players, since Ruzie doesn't get to play > 16 minutes often.

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

This is a surprise. Not saying it's wrong, just surprising

It's the right move.  Vladar has been better in high volume shots against.

Last 2 starts:

CAR 33 shots, 2 PP goals against

PENS 39 shots, 1 goal against

Markstrom

WAS 25 shots, 3 goals against

PHI 25 shots, 2 goals against

FLA 35 shots, 4 goals against

Remaining games this week, MTL and WAS.

Would even consider split duty on those.

Maybe it's time to alternate goalies more regularly.

Or I am overthinking it.

Sutter probably looks at shot volume and maybe past performance against team X.

Just now, DirtyDeeds said:

Okay.. Lineups are updated including starting goaltenders.

Good job Deedsy.

Didn't expect you to update them, just having fun with a lineup of 2 Ruzickas.

Let's see how long the lines stay together.

Interested to see how Ruzie does with Backlund.

But honestly, that's the line I worry the least about.

Kadri has gone cold.

Dube scored in two games but before and after was cold.

Mangiapane not looking close to the same player.

So, here's a thought.

Ruzicka has helped the top line get back some finish.

Other than maybe faceoffs with the 4th line, he was not bad.

Kadri line not generating much.

Play him with Kadri?

I wonder if setting specific roles for Mangiapane might help. He did well with Hathaway, then Lucic, then Backlund. Is he trying to play a game that just isn't him? Is he getting away from the identity he's grown into? 
Throw him on the 3rd or 4th line to simplify his game? He seems to play best in that scenario. 

Dube played bigger with Lucic. Can putting him with a bigger player help? Is Mangiapane, Kadri both too small in those settings? 

Kadri is pesky, but can he be even more with the power forward you mentioned in the lineup thread?

22 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I wonder if setting specific roles for Mangiapane might help. He did well with Hathaway, then Lucic, then Backlund. Is he trying to play a game that just isn't him? Is he getting away from the identity he's grown into? 
Throw him on the 3rd or 4th line to simplify his game? He seems to play best in that scenario. 

Dube played bigger with Lucic. Can putting him with a bigger player help? Is Mangiapane, Kadri both too small in those settings? 

Kadri is pesky, but can he be even more with the power forward you mentioned in the lineup thread?

I have been saying this for some time, but Mangiapane belongs with Backlund.

Backlund gains the zone with ease and is able to track the puck in board battles.

He finds open players or creates 2nd chances for others to bury.  IMHO.

Kadri needs a big power forward type to complement his game.

The closest player I can find to that (with the right skill level) is Ruzicka.

Perhaps Ritchie could get to that point, but I can't tell some nights.

Right now we have two question marks playing with Kadri.

I don't know if there were ever dominant as a line.

They were good at the start, but that doesn't prove much.

If both guys drop in the roster and Ruzie/Coleman jump up, we have the same setup with Backlund as we did with Kadri.

Maybe worth a shot.

Ruzie-Kadri-Coleman would be interesting, but I suspect you want Coleman with Backlund/Mange.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I have been saying this for some time, but Mangiapane belongs with Backlund.

Backlund gains the zone with ease and is able to track the puck in board battles.

He finds open players or creates 2nd chances for others to bury.  IMHO.

Kadri needs a big power forward type to complement his game.

The closest player I can find to that (with the right skill level) is Ruzicka.

Perhaps Ritchie could get to that point, but I can't tell some nights.

Right now we have two question marks playing with Kadri.

I don't know if there were ever dominant as a line.

They were good at the start, but that doesn't prove much.

If both guys drop in the roster and Ruzie/Coleman jump up, we have the same setup with Backlund as we did with Kadri.

Maybe worth a shot.

Ruzie-Kadri-Coleman would be interesting, but I suspect you want Coleman with Backlund/Mange.

I want Dube and Mangiapane separated. They are too similar, which wouldnt be terrible if one of them were bigger, but they're both easy to knock off the puck, which also isn't terrible if they can get the puck going, but if both are getting knocked around and not winning battles in the corners then they become obsolete. I think they need one big guy playing with them to aid in the good work they do. 

22 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think there is a little luck involved with both Mange's success last year and his shortcomings this year, right now his shot attempts are on pace to beat his last year, however he is not getting them on net which he is on pace for about 20 shots less this year than last, this year he has a 7.5% shooting% which his previous 3 seasons averaged out to 18%.  He has run a little hot and cold in the past if you look at 20 game segments last year:

1st 20 - G-15 A- 2

2nd 20 - G-4 A-3 

3rd 20 - G-11 A-9

4th 20 - G-5 A-6

His production now is similar to that of the 2nd 20 games last year, I think it slid under everyone's radar due to the start he had and the top line had taken over by then, I think this is often forgotten with the 40-60 point players is that most don't score a point every other game, they go hot and cold all the time with Mange this year we just haven't had the hot yet this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

I want Dube and Mangiapane separated. They are too similar, which wouldnt be terrible if one of them were bigger, but they're both easy to knock off the puck, which also isn't terrible if they can get the puck going, but if both are getting knocked around and not winning battles in the corners then they become obsolete. I think they need one big guy playing with them to aid in the good work they do. 

Coleman/Dube/Mangiapane are basically the same size.

But I think Mange is a better transition player and Backlund has shown he is too.

To me that implies:

Ruzie-Kadri-Dube

Mange-Backlund-Coleman

The first line there is a wild card and hasn't been tried, but I get the sense that a big forward dovetails with Kadri pretty well.

That 2nd line is proven to work.  Why did we think it was wrong to keep them together?  

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Coleman/Dube/Mangiapane are basically the same size.

But I think Mange is a better transition player and Backlund has shown he is too.

To me that implies:

Ruzie-Kadri-Dube

Mange-Backlund-Coleman

The first line there is a wild card and hasn't been tried, but I get the sense that a big forward dovetails with Kadri pretty well.

That 2nd line is proven to work.  Why did we think it was wrong to keep them together?  

To your first point, body types might be different. 

i don't  really know. Maybe they felt they'd get more offence from Mangiapane with Kadri. 

on paper it should all work. But there's something with the way it's all assembled that is off. 

So much change, I'd have tried to keep familiarity with some players as much as possible and that line could have been one steady.

when Lindholm didn't work with Huberdeau, I'd have tried moving Hubie to Kadri's line instead. 

Huberdeau, Kadri, Toffoli

Mangiapane, Backlund, Coleman

Ruzicka, Lindholm, Dube

1 minute ago, sak22 said:

I think there is a little luck involved with both Mange's success last year and his shortcomings this year, right now his shot attempts are on pace to beat his last year, however he is not getting them on net which he is on pace for about 20 shots less this year than last, this year he has a 7.5% shooting% which his previous 3 seasons averaged out to 18%.  He has run a little hot and cold in the past if you look at 20 game segments last year:

1st 20 - G-15 A- 2

2nd 20 - G-4 A-3 

3rd 20 - G-11 A-9

4th 20 - G-5 A-6

His production now is similar to that of the 2nd 20 games last year, I think it slid under everyone's radar due to the start he had and the top line had taken over by then, I think this is often forgotten with the 40-60 point players is that most don't score a point every other game, they go hot and cold all the time with Mange this year we just haven't had the hot yet this year.

Good analysis.  Luck and situations sometimes look the same in some of the data.

Last year, Mange found quiet areas to get into but he was also playing against a top offensive line.

On the road, he was less line matched so he played against non specific lines a lot more.

Maybe had some reason for being a road warrior.  

One thing to mention about shot volume though.

He's missing the net, so those aren't even counted.

I do find that 3 guys are all in the same paint.

Nobody in the quiet area.

4 bodies in the way of a clean shot.

Too bunched up in the O-zone.

6 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Nah, I think that people will be really excited to see him. He'll get a big welcome, but they'll boo by the end of the game.

Not going to lie... I really miss him. Not because 10 and 52 are struggling, or even that the Flames are struggling, I just really liked having him around.

Love.

I think we see the cheers until he draws the ire of the team.  Then he's fair game.  Until then, you see Tkachuk jerseys.

I admit I watched him play EDM last night and was happy to see him get the ice breaker.

It wasn't a nasty game and Tkachuk was kinda well behaved.

They have nobody to tangle with him 

I hope he receives a positive reception to start. He was honest with Tre about his intentions, then traded for two very good players/prospect and pick. as the game goes on i don't mind if the booing comes in to it but i think he deserves some cheers. 

• Like 1