GDT - Avs @ FLAMES - Thursday 13 October 2022

rocketdoctor

Was a good win, they have to be better 5 vs 5 is what we have learned. I think Sutter and the D coaches will be reining in Weegar, he takes to many offensive zone gambles, that allowed Mckinnion to go in all alone. Hubie looks little tenantive or maybe unsure of his line mates, to much of the great pass attempts but should settle in. Big Z seems allot better this year, like his game, thought markstrom looked good. Once agian I think we get weaker down the line up in the 3rd 4th lines. Great play by Lucic to Ritchie but I feel Lucic is just a liability. That line got hemmed in lots in the O zone, Lucic can't get the puck out fast enough,.  We also will need a replacement of Lewis on the 3rd line, just a play killer in todays game. I know Sutter didn't really love any of the new guys game tonight but man you have to be impressed with Kadri. I thought he and Dube looked really good, Mags seemed to struggle but should settle in. Its early and we have lots of chemistry to build. Getting through the next couple games in a positve upside could be the best medcine for this club. We pull off a couple wins agaisnt some tough teams with not being 100% in sync is going to be a great boost for these guys. 

My 3 stars;

1) Dube

2) Kadri

3) Markstrom 

Obviously didn't get the Avs at their best but I do think Flames deserve credit for that. They didn't give much space out there and Avs had a hard time breaking through the neutral zone. Obviously they let them back in the game there in the 3rd but as Sutter said they are champs for a reason. They pushed but I still think the Flames answered well. Pretty good first game. 

I was already excited when they acquired him but seeing him live, man are we going to like Weegar. He was fantastic and his ability to make a first pass/stretch pass out of the zone is next level. Sees the ice incredibly well. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Obviously didn't get the Avs at their best but I do think Flames deserve credit for that. They didn't give much space out there and Avs had a hard time breaking through the neutral zone. Obviously they let them back in the game there in the 3rd but as Sutter said they are champs for a reason. They pushed but I still think the Flames answered well. Pretty good first game. 

I was already excited when they acquired him but seeing him live, man are we going to like Weegar. He was fantastic and his ability to make a first pass/stretch pass out of the zone is next level. Sees the ice incredibly well. 

Agreed. I watched a fair bit of Panthers games last season and in my eyes Weegar is one of the best transitional D in the game.

Sutter wasn't too pleased with Weegar's game though, but just said he had a ways to go to be on the same page as the team plan. 

i get he shoots from the hip and tends to play opposites with the media, but I kinda wish he'd be more constructive. I don't mind how he talked about Ruzicka last year, he's got the tools just has to put it together and be consistent... 

be like, loved what  I saw and once he's on our play he'll be much better for us... he's got a ways to go...

I didn't want to acquire Kadri back when the Brodie trade was nixed, and that was because I took issue with some things happening away from the arena. He looks like he's grown since then and I am happy to have him here. He's going to be a big boost for us down the middle, and the best part is he chose to come here. Get'em Kadri! GFG!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Sutter wasn't too pleased with Weegar's game though, but just said he had a ways to go to be on the same page as the team plan. 

i get he shoots from the hip and tends to play opposites with the media, but I kinda wish he'd be more constructive. I don't mind how he talked about Ruzicka last year, he's got the tools just has to put it together and be consistent... 

be like, loved what  I saw and once he's on our play he'll be much better for us... he's got a ways to go...

Well to be fair Sutter praised how Weegar was with the puck. I believe the quote was "he has lots to do to fitting in with how we check". I think that's a pretty fair statement for a guy playing his first game. He did make a bad pinch on the Mackinnon goal. 

I think Sutter, like a lot of good coaches, understands that the media is a motivational tool and when he talks to the media he really is talking to the players. 

• Like 1

For me I actually was expecting a more rusty unconnected start to be honest. We had moments of good and bad in that game as to be expected, however the early eye test indicates that its not a matter of if they get going its a matter of how good they will be when they piece it together. The only weak point I see is the Lewis on the 3rd line and some tinkering with the 4th line. Dube and Kadri were stand outs for me, big Z lloked very impressive and  Weegar you can see the huge upside.  Hubie will hit his stride in the next couple of games and we will be shocked at how little we will miss JG. Once this thing gels this will be a very exciting season. 

Watching Weegar, he reminds me so much of Giordano in his prime, except Weegar is a better skater. Just the way they compete, work and see the game, I see a lot of similarities between those two.

The second line was dynamite and I think with their speed, and ability to check that they are going to give teams trouble all season. Also with their ability to defend, it should allow Sutter to deploy the top line in mostly offensive situations.

I think we need to find another player for the 3rd line, but Coleman had a good game I thought.

Andersson was noticeable last night too. I thought the rest of the defence was solid.

Sutter for some reason deployed the 4th line against the MacKinnon line a lot in the 3rd and that was a mistake.

16 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Watching Weegar, he reminds me so much of Giordano in his prime, except Weegar is a better skater. Just the way they compete, work and see the game, I see a lot of similarities between those two.

The second line was dynamite and I think with their speed, and ability to check that they are going to give teams trouble all season. Also with their ability to defend, it should allow Sutter to deploy the top line in mostly offensive situations.

I think we need to find another player for the 3rd line, but Coleman had a good game I thought.

Andersson was noticeable last night too. I thought the rest of the defence was solid.

Sutter for some reason deployed the 4th line against the MacKinnon line a lot in the 3rd and that was a mistake.

Riychie had a 90 second shift against th top line.  They couldn;t get possession long enough to get a change.

That's the risk of a line of clunkers.

They had good shifts and bad ones.

Have to limit using them against a team that can do damage.

Oilers play a 3 line game mostly.

They often double shift the top 2 players together.