Calgary Flames Prospects in penticton

The_Tribal Chief

• The_Tribal Chief changed the title to Calgary Flames Prospects in penticton

Lots of guys to keep your eyes on.

Guys like Pelletier and Schwindt can use this as a warm up for main camp.

Can Zary take another step this year.

What is Klapka all about?

Can Kerins continue his upward trajectory?

What can Beck do when healthy?

Taking in this game realizing that it is first game of preseason and first pro game for many players so it may not be an accurate representation, but this is what I saw in the second half of the game.

Poirier may have had a good first half game, I didn’t see it, but second half he made multiple mistakes, poor positioning, which ended up in the second goal.

Kuznetsov and Schwindt are both steady. Nothing flashy but no significant mistakes that I saw. Kuz was on for the first goal but was left in a bad spot due to a slow change. 

Wolf doing his thing. 

Zary looks like Bennett 2.0. Tries to do way too much himself and ends up losing the puck. Not good results for him on the dot.

Pelletier had good hands and good vision but not rewarded for good plays. Tended to get knocked off the puck a little too easily at times.

Solovyov had a good game. A few nice passes, jumped up in the play and no glaring mistakes on D.

Klapka, Ciona, Duehr, added energy and physical play.

Impressed with Pettersen and his skill level, but similar to Zary he did not use line mates enough.

Sedoff was slow and inconsistent on D. He was one of the bad change D leading to the first goal.

Nikolaiev had a few good plays but nothing outstanding.

From what I saw, Schwindt likely the closest to be NHL ready. We will see how the other 2 games and camp go, but it looks like Pelletier still needs to add a bit of muscle to compete.

Didn’t really see anyone else stand out good or bad. 2 more games for them all to make a statement. Bring on the Oilers prospects next.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bosn111 said:

Taking in this game realizing that it is first game of preseason and first pro game for many players so it may not be an accurate representation, but this is what I saw in the second half of the game.

Poirier may have had a good first half game, I didn’t see it, but second half he made multiple mistakes, poor positioning, which ended up in the second goal.

Kuznetsov and Schwindt are both steady. Nothing flashy but no significant mistakes that I saw. Kuz was on for the first goal but was left in a bad spot due to a slow change. 

Wolf doing his thing. 

Zary looks like Bennett 2.0. Tries to do way too much himself and ends up losing the puck. Not good results for him on the dot.

Pelletier had good hands and good vision but not rewarded for good plays. Tended to get knocked off the puck a little too easily at times.

Solovyov had a good game. A few nice passes, jumped up in the play and no glaring mistakes on D.

Impressed with Pettersen and his skill level, but similar to Zary he did not use line mates enough.

Sedoff was slow and inconsistent on D. He was one of the bad change D leading to the first goal.

From what I saw, Schwindt likely the closest to be NHL ready. We will see how the other 2 games and camp go, but it looks like Pelletier still needs to add a bit of muscle to compete.

Didn’t really see anyone else stand out good or bad. 2 more games for them all to make a statement. Bring on the Oilers prospects next.

Personally I thought Schwindt looked pretty inconsistent as well.

Some good plays but also some completely unforced turnovers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bosn111 said:

Wolf doing his thing. 

I thought the two most noticeable players were Kaplan and Zary, although I do agree with your assessment 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Pelletier was awesome on the PK and a good distributor on our one PP chance.  It was too early, before they got things going.

Him and Smitty were the best on F, while I thought Poirier, Kuz and Sedoff good.

Zary has good hands as well as MEP (Pettersson).

Klapka is huge.

Thought Pelletier was good on the PK as well.

Plenty of prospects showed flashes but it was a sloppy game.

To be expected.

Wolf is a special prospect though I will say.

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

Just watching now as a primer to the Oiler game.

It looks exactly like the start of a new camp with teammates that you’re not familiar with.

For sure.  Not gelling much.

Passes that would be easy tap ins during the season.

Obscure reffing at times.

The first goal probably would have been called off in the NHL (if we scored it - Hello Coleman).

It was a good rebound, but it basiically propelled Wolf into the net.

On 9/16/2022 at 9:45 PM, The_Snowbear said:

You know Jtech if calgary traded vladar tomorrow Wolf is so ready iimo to make the jump even as just a back up

I also support giving Wolf NHL time.   I think we tend to rush our forwards to the NHL too soon and hold our goalies back for an unhealthy amount of time.

if it were me I would trade Markstrom, but that isn't going to happen and neither is Vladar.

We don't actually have a problem, though, until they all stay healthy into the regular season.  That's far from a guarantee.   And then we have a problem.

Ok, so I watched the game tonight and was really disappointed.  Klapka and Duehrr(?), we’re the best two on the ice for Calgary.  Beck showed who he was, and Zary was actually better than the previous night.  Aside from that, meh.  Wolf and Pelletier looked very ordinary; Wolf was beat twice by the same shot, quick snap low, both sides.  Defence was beat on positioning all night, and Calgary’s face off success was really poor; how many times can you get knocked off the puck in the face off circle before you realize you need either better leg strength or faster hands.  Possession was an afterthought throughout the game.

There is lots to work with, and good talent, but boy, it seemed scattered tonight.

They lost me at the 1st intermission. Is the intermission over yet? lol

Very scrimmage hockey. Not much to give or take away from this tourney. It’s really just warm-ups. Don’t get injured before it gets real in camp.

Fun to see the kids though. 
The 10:30 starts suck for me though. I’ll likely watch the rest today, but no point in scrutinizing formless scrimmages. Or I’d just say everyone sucks.lol

As little as these games may mean they are pre look towards who goes to main camp. Outside of Duher and Klapka who appear to be ready the rest do not. Pelltier as many had him as the next one being on the squad was not really a stand out. Swindt and Zary had their moments. Wolf is good but with out defense around you was not a stand out. The results of the game are really mean nothing but the evalutaion side means alot. We have little to no defensive prospects as well as minimal offensive threats in thed pool. One would think that our best guys would make players around them better, was not the case. The largest surprise to me was Klapka, he seemed to have more polish than Pelts and Zary, in all honesty Zary IMHO was better than Pelts. 

I personally think Pelletier and Schwindt are near ready for the NHL.

Both were very good on the penalty kill and provided energy.

The only thing that concerns me about Schwindt is the turnovers.

Klapka is a big boy but lacks polish.

Poirier has a lot of talent but needs more seasoning.

Was actually pretty impressed with Kuznetsov,  he plays a simple and effective defensive game.

Zary showed flashes again but also needs more time, as does Pettersen. 

Solovyov had some poor reads but once he works on his decision making he could be a nightmare to play against.

Walker Duehr was once again our best forward. Just provides a ton of energy on every shift and is a relentless forechecker.

Could be a dark horse once again for a bottom 6 spot.