Nazem Kadri Official - 7 years at 7Mill AAV

cross16

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Lol. Nice comeback. It's kind of fun to live in the moment occasionally. I'm maybe fortunate that my 2 teams are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Detroit has been rebuilding for 4-5 years and the Flames are competing hard. They're clearly in win now mode, looking 3-5 years down the road is an exercise in futility. We have no idea, even remotely, what the roster will look like in even 3 years. Could be none of Lindholm, Hanifin, Tanev, Backlund, Toffoli, etc, etc, etc.

So it's extremely hard to speculate, even with buyouts. We have no idea what the roster will look like.

You can call it thinking longterm, but it's pure speculation that is based on right now's roster that will be a lot different in a few years.

It's fun to speculate I guess.

The other thing is thinking about "draft capital" at TDL.

Can someone show me the Cup teams that TDL completely help.

FLA got the best available fwd and dman.

Wasted imperative draft picks. For what?

Blockchain TDL I say. Keep picks,

COL spent a ton on players this year, not just TDL.

They traded for Kuemper last summer; gone.

They went after COgs and Manson.

They have Lehkonen and kept him.

Their path to the cup was easier for two rounds.

Tampa won two cups in short years, so hard to say the new guys had anything to do with the wins.

On 8/22/2022 at 9:00 AM, conundrumed said:

Lol. Nice comeback. It's kind of fun to live in the moment occasionally. I'm maybe fortunate that my 2 teams are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Detroit has been rebuilding for 4-5 years and the Flames are competing hard. They're clearly in win now mode, looking 3-5 years down the road is an exercise in futility. We have no idea, even remotely, what the roster will look like in even 3 years. Could be none of Lindholm, Hanifin, Tanev, Backlund, Toffoli, etc, etc, etc.

So it's extremely hard to speculate, even with buyouts. We have no idea what the roster will look like.

You can call it thinking longterm, but it's pure speculation that is based on right now's roster that will be a lot different in a few years.

It's fun to speculate I guess.

The other thing is thinking about "draft capital" at TDL.

Can someone show me the Cup teams that TDL completely help.

FLA got the best available fwd and dman.

Wasted imperative draft picks. For what?

Blockchain TDL I say. Keep picks,

Trues.  In 5 years, the Flames will be rebuilding and need Kadri's cap hit to stay above the cap floor.  A buyout would be out of the question by then.

But we never know.  Same with Huberdeau's final year... $10.5-mil, likely only getting $5-mil production by then.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Trues.  In 5 years, the Flames will be rebuilding and need Kadri's cap hit to stay above the cap floor.  A buyout would be out of the question by then.

But we never know.  Sam's with Huberdeau's final year... $10.5-mil, likely only getting $5-mil production by then.

Kinda have to wait and have fun in the now imo. Tomorrow's a long time away. Just keep our picks. :)

Huberdeau and Kadri are great players right now. We'll be dangerous. Markstrom was an equal team mvp last year. We'll be good.

19 hours ago, The_People1 said:

But we never know.  Sam's with Huberdeau's final year... $10.5-mil, likely only getting $5-mil production by then.

So true . Like was mentioned live in the now . I have a hard time thinking of any team of substance that has been handcuffed by a contract they couldnt move..or that stopped them from getting over the hump..  I mean look at Buffalo, even with Okposo still sticking around they've been improving..even able to afford Eichel while he was there ..

Tampa played hardball with McDonough saying accept this trade to Nashville or we're sending you to this garbage team ..

Chicago has kept the Kane and Toewes contracts by choice but if they want to move them they will .   In Ufa especially it's a known and accepted evil that term will be too long . It's what gets the deal done .  Like Kadri I believe I heard he was going for about $9m but not necessarily 7 years .. the 7 years got the hit down and those last 2 years are pretty moveable..

Even Calgary.. we've made great improvements and Lucic is still here .. 

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

With the knuckle heads reupping JT. I feel much better about Naz’ signing, I know JT has a couple years on Naz, and JT is no slouch. But that extra million dollars a year goes along way.

https://stathead.com/hockey/pcomp_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=kadrina01&player_id2=millejt01

Ya JT has been the better scorer on average but Kadri brings some more intangibles.  But Kadri is two years older and has had more injuries.  Both players contracts will start to look bad in about 5 years.

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

With even the NHL now acknowledging they expect a big jump in the cap in 2 years I don’t think these deals are going to age as poorly as we thought we they were first signed. 

risk on them would go down significantly with a 90-100 million cap. 

Some of the ones that are already expensive will be crazy when they expire:

McDavid

Draisaitl

Matthews

Marner

They will be renewing them when the cap starts going up, as well as the players being worth a ton.

Marner is the one that is going to really hurt.

Both Oilers and Leafs will need to pay through the nose.

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Some of the ones that are already expensive will be crazy when they expire:

McDavid

Draisaitl

Matthews

Marner

They will be renewing them when the cap starts going up, as well as the players being worth a ton.

Marner is the one that is going to really hurt.

Both Oilers and Leafs will need to pay through the nose.

I expect Mackinnon's next deal to give him the highest cap hit in the league.

Then it's going to turn into the NFL in a sense. Every new QB deal sets some sort of new record.

Mackinnon will surpass McDavid. Then the year after Matthews will get more than Mackinnon, followed by Draisaitl. Then McDavid will get another massive payday.

The Flames don't have anyone at that level, but in 3 or 4 years, Huberdeau at 10.5, won't look nearly as bad as there will be players make 15-17/yr.

On 8/22/2022 at 12:38 PM, The_People1 said:

But we never know.  Same with Huberdeau's final year... $10.5-mil, likely only getting $5-mil production by then.

I often wonder what it would take for the Flames to rebuild.   A crash in oil prices?   A regular season miss?

The oil price crash we may not have to wait long for.

The regular season miss seems elusive right now as we are well geared for several years of medicrity.

As first round pick after first round pick slips through our fingers a rebuild seems a long way off.   But at the same time these moves may also be making it more inevitable at some ponit.

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I often wonder what it would take for the Flames to rebuild.   A crash in oil prices?   A regular season miss?

The oil price crash we may not have to wait long for.

The regular season miss seems elusive right now as we are well geared for several years of medicrity.

As first round pick after first round pick slips through our fingers a rebuild seems a long way off.   But at the same time these moves may also be making it more inevitable at some ponit.

Well the Flames are in a small market that still relies heavily on gate driven revenue.  In the past, this hasn't been a problem because while the market is small, it is affluent.  All this could change in the coming years in what many economist are predicting could be anywhere from a market crash that mirrors 2008 to a global financial and political meltdown that could bring about the greatest and longest recession mankind has ever known.

We're also talking Climate Change policies, ESG targets, WEF Great Reset, etc, that could end Alberta's oil and gas industry.  Not to mention endless pandemics and lockdowns...

...in short, we need an owner willing to lose $5-mil a year for 5-years to rebuild properly and enjoy 10-years of glory.  But given Calgary's situation, it's best to rebuild during an economic boom where the market has lots of extra cash to throw around for season tickets whether the team wins or loses.  In an economic tsunami, money is tight so it's easy to justify cancelling season tickets when the product on the ice is going to be awful for 5-years.

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Well the Flames are in a small market that still relies heavily on gate driven revenue.  In the past, this hasn't been a problem because while the market is small, it is affluent.  All this could change in the coming years in what many economist are predicting could be anywhere from a market crash that mirrors 2008 to a global financial and political meltdown that could bring about the greatest and longest recession mankind has ever known.

We're also talking Climate Change policies, ESG targets, WEF Great Reset, etc, that could end Alberta's oil and gas industry.  Not to mention endless pandemics and lockdowns...

...in short, we need an owner willing to lose $5-mil a year for 5-years to rebuild properly and enjoy 10-years of glory.  But given Calgary's situation, it's best to rebuild during an economic boom where the market has lots of extra cash to throw around for season tickets whether the team wins or loses.  In an economic tsunami, money is tight so it's easy to justify cancelling season tickets when the product on the ice is going to be awful for 5-years.

Well, logically, I agree.    Except I don't believe the Flames ownership ever truely sees a good time to rebuild, especially in economic booms.  So on that note maybe they really do have to be forced into it.  A combination of economic downturn, and an aging core which isn't making the playoffs.    Only when ownership is forced into a rebuild and can't afford to spend their way out of it.    The thing is with the additions this summer I must admit it's unlikely to expect that much of a let-down.    Nor to I ever hope for one.   So yes could be a while.

On 9/6/2022 at 10:13 AM, jjgallow said:

Well, logically, I agree.    Except I don't believe the Flames ownership ever truely sees a good time to rebuild, especially in economic booms.  So on that note maybe they really do have to be forced into it.  A combination of economic downturn, and an aging core which isn't making the playoffs.    Only when ownership is forced into a rebuild and can't afford to spend their way out of it.    The thing is with the additions this summer I must admit it's unlikely to expect that much of a let-down.    Nor to I ever hope for one.   So yes could be a while.

Yes as much as it pains me to say as well, there won't be a rebuild for now.  On paper, there are far too many teams with less talent for the Flames to not make the playoffs, especially in the division.

I'm okay if we don't rebuild for now but what really gets to me is not going all in during these times.  Like what are we waiting for? Pay the price to get that final piece.  Instead, seems they want to prolong mediocrity for as long as possible rather than push the chips in for a serious cup run.

On 9/6/2022 at 10:13 AM, jjgallow said:

Flames have never admitted to doing a rebuild even in young guns Era.

Feaster was never allowed to talk rebuild even when JBow and Iggy were traded. His marching orders were always make the playoffs.

There will never be talk of rebuilds with this ownership as far as l can see. 

Then again Feaster would never have used the term rebuild even if he was doing just that, after his comments about Oilers in perpetual rebuild... "wandering in the desert...."

4 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Flames have never admitted to doing a rebuild even in young guns Era.

Feaster was never allowed to talk rebuild even when JBow and Iggy were traded. His marching orders were always make the playoffs.

There will never be talk of rebuilds with this ownership as far as l can see. 

Then again Feaster would never have used the term rebuild even if he was doing just that, after his comments about Oilers in perpetual rebuild... "wandering in the desert...."

You speaketh the truth, they Flames have never openly rebuilt.

However, facts remain that they rebuilt starting in 1997, and again in 2013.  They may have never admitted to them, sort of like that girlfriend who never gets introduced to the family, but, they were very real all the same.

And, we will again.

But, back on topic, with the likes of Huber and Kadri here, it is true that it may not happen for a while, and could end up becoming a reliable 15-year cycle.

I am saddened by this because as good as Kadri is, as good as Huberdeau is, they are not good enough, in the long term, to make up for how badly we gutted our future to patch this team back together.   It most likely delays the timing of a rebuild, yes.   But it also makes it that much more certain to happen.