Nazem Kadri Official - 7 years at 7Mill AAV

cross16

• cross16 changed the title to Nazem Kadri Official - 7 years at 7Mill AAV

I think this does the best job of highlighting what you are getting with Kadri. A center who is good at almost everything but whose point totals fluctuate greatly because his ability to finish can vary so much. So don't be surprised if his point totals don't blow you away.

But at the same time he's excellent at driving play, excellent at setting up his teammates and creating offence. Flames were badly lacking in that area. He may never hit lasts year's number again but at the same time those numbers do indicate he's got that high end of talent if he can put it together. 

20 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

He will be 35+ in his final 2 years so can't save money by buying out right?

I think you're thinking of the signing age rule .. he can be bought out easy.. but if he was 35 when he sighed it that's when new rules kick in .that's why most of those deals are low cap hit but they have bonuses 

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

He will be 35+ in his final 2 years so can't save money by buying out right?

No rules around that if the contract is signed before age 35.

I mean it won't be cheap so not saying it should happen just that at least with it being light on SB it's an option in the last 2 years. 

4 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I think you're thinking of the signing age rule .. he can be bought out easy.. but if he was 35 when he sighed it that's when new rules kick in .that's why most of those deals are low cap hit but they have bonuses 

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

No rules around that if the contract is signed before age 35.

I mean it won't be cheap so not saying it should happen just that at least with it being light on SB it's an option in the last 2 years. 

Ah okay thanks.  I thought rule kicks in once a player turns 35 regardless of when they signed the contract.

So in this case, wouldn't front loading the contract make it more appealing to buy him out in the final years?

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ah okay thanks.  I thought rule kicks in once a player turns 35 regardless of when they signed the contract.

So in this case, wouldn't front loading the contract make it more appealing to buy him out in the final years?

In theory yes.. but the agent and player I'm sure want some security if that shouid ever happen. 

14 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Nah no way.  Kadri and agent for sure would prefer the money upfront.  Make all the money early and get bought out and retire earlier.

A buyout costs them a 1/3 of their remaining salary. It's not a preferred route for players or agents. 

16 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Nah no way.  Kadri and agent for sure would prefer the money upfront.  Make all the money early and get bought out and retire earlier.

Neither side wants a buyout.. but if it has to happen do you want a check for $4m of your 6? Or 600k of $1m ? ..     I'm just saying the gm wouid want the lowest hit possible obviously but the player and agent would push back on it .. the trade off was likely the lower signing bonus and easier to trade 

17 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

2 days ago: getting Kadri would be awesome.

Yesterday: acquire Kadri.

Today: What will a Kadri buyout look like?

Me:

98d58e8329537cef280eacd4f4d0c1ad_w200.gi

Lol it's so true ..  like the night we got Huberdeau people were already discussing where to trade him .  Can we just enjoy nice things? 

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

Lol it's so true ..  like the night we got Huberdeau people were already discussing where to trade him .  Can we just enjoy nice things? 

to be fair "enjoying nice things" and "Flames fans" don't tend to co exists well....

😀

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

25 minutes ago, cross16 said:

to be fair "enjoying nice things" and "Flames fans" don't tend to co exists well....

😀

My only regret, I finally had a named jersey or t-shirt with Monahan, Guadreau and Tkachuk.

Great sales on those items, but didn't have enough time to enjoy them during the playoffs.

As it was, I cursed the team by wearing #13 jersey through the playoffs.

This is basically a new team.

We have some exciting players that will be awesome to see on our team.

Interesting to see Kadri playing Toronto with Gio and Brodie.

And Lucic playing Gaudreau and Guddy in CBJ.

And of course, Hibie and Weegs against Tkachuk.

15 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

My only regret, I finally had a named jersey or t-shirt with Monahan, Guadreau and Tkachuk.

Great sales on those items, but didn't have enough time to enjoy them during the playoffs.

As it was, I cursed the team by wearing #13 jersey through the playoffs.

This is basically a new team.

We have some exciting players that will be awesome to see on our team.

Interesting to see Kadri playing Toronto with Gio and Brodie.

And Lucic playing Gaudreau and Guddy in CBJ.

And of course, Hibie and Weegs against Tkachuk.

Mony signed mine, so not like I can just change the nameplate to Kerins.lol

It's so difficult projecting what a contract ends up looking like, because there are so many variables at play. Health and luck are big ones.

When Gio signed his extension, he was 32, 6yr deal at 6.75. That ended up being a very good deal for the Flames. I know they got out of it a year early, but the player played up to his contract and for the most part exceeded it. There was a lot of fear that it was a bad deal when it was signed.

Then you've got the Monahan deal. Nobody thought that deal would ever become an issue, but due to injuries, it did. Flames got 4 solid seasons out of it before injuries really set in. 

Point is, you just never know. I think there's some scar tissue for Flames fans with the way that the Brouwer and Neal signings worked out, which is fair. Kadri is on a completely different level than those players. Let's give it time to play out. The 2nd biggest UFA chose the Flames. Let's try to enjoy it or the time being

I don’t really see talking about a buyout as a problem. I think anytime you sign a player into their late 30s you are hoping the team keeps some flex ability to move on if the age curve kicks in. Doesn’t mean it will or that they will exercise it but I just think it’s nice knowing the flames kept some level of protection in the deal.

doesn’t really need to be seen in a negative light. 

On 8/19/2022 at 9:20 PM, The_People1 said:

Sorry for always thinking long term.

Lol. Nice comeback. It's kind of fun to live in the moment occasionally. I'm maybe fortunate that my 2 teams are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Detroit has been rebuilding for 4-5 years and the Flames are competing hard. They're clearly in win now mode, looking 3-5 years down the road is an exercise in futility. We have no idea, even remotely, what the roster will look like in even 3 years. Could be none of Lindholm, Hanifin, Tanev, Backlund, Toffoli, etc, etc, etc.

So it's extremely hard to speculate, even with buyouts. We have no idea what the roster will look like.

You can call it thinking longterm, but it's pure speculation that is based on right now's roster that will be a lot different in a few years.

It's fun to speculate I guess.

The other thing is thinking about "draft capital" at TDL.

Can someone show me the Cup teams that TDL completely help.

FLA got the best available fwd and dman.

Wasted imperative draft picks. For what?

Blockchain TDL I say. Keep picks,