2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

One minute they are quoting a source close to the player and now thy are refuting it.  

If this is the case it's a mess again.

At least Francis confirms a list exists.  I would be worried if there was no list at all and Tkachuk refuses to sign long term anywhere.  Meaning Flames probably stuck with him until TDL.

13 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Take it for what its worth, but .. possibly good to know 

NJ has to be a consideration, and quite frankly if Chucky ends up there I’m looking forward to watching him and Johnny play each other 100 times per season. 

To the highest bidder go the spoils! 

9 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Bummer. Thomas straight across, 1-for-1. I'd have done it last year. We win that trade.

You and me both. I wonder if there’s any scenario where St. Louis - maybe in order to compete with other teams for Chucky - would consider trading us Thomas. I know many on here have said “no way” in the past… but, there would be significant angst and anger in the St. Louis fan base if St. Louis missed out on the opportunity to bring their prodigal son home. I don’t see any clauses in Thomas’ contract. 👀

1 minute ago, LouCifer said:

You and me both. I wonder if there’s any scenario where St. Louis - maybe in order to compete with other teams for Chucky - would consider trading us Thomas. I know many on here have said “no way” in the past… but, there would be significant angst and anger in the St. Louis fan base if St. Louis missed out on the opportunity to bring their prodigal son home. I don’t see any clauses in Thomas’ contract. 

I could see Army doing Kyrou+

Thomas, not a chance. It really was last year to do it. Fans would've be enraged. And then, "oh, nevermind".

Great player. Then I'd go to Chicago and get Katchouk for pennies on the dollar.

Sutter loves his "hard game" players.

11 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

You and me both. I wonder if there’s any scenario where St. Louis - maybe in order to compete with other teams for Chucky - would consider trading us Thomas. I know many on here have said “no way” in the past… but, there would be significant angst and anger in the St. Louis fan base if St. Louis missed out on the opportunity to bring their prodigal son home. I don’t see any clauses in Thomas’ contract. 👀

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I could see Army doing Kyrou+

Thomas, not a chance. It really was last year to do it. Fans would've be enraged. And then, "oh, nevermind".

Great player. Then I'd go to Chicago and get Katchouk for pennies on the dollar.

Sutter loves his "hard game" players.

No way we could do man for man.  Thomas still a bargain this year.  STL doesn't have the cap.

We would need to take Krug and send back Mackie.

Even that doesn't fly.

As you say, it was a last year deal.

If they want to do Kyrou + Parayko + Barbashev, I would forgo the 1st rounder.  LOL.

The reason I added Barbashev was that he's a pending UFA and they can't afford him.

They kinda need to re-sign ROR and Tank.

Still in the mix with them, without them they drop a few pegs.  

My gut has a feeling its a team we have not even thought of like the NYR or Buffalo. Buffalo has some good prospects to grab, Couzens, Krebs, Powers ect, Matthew would insert some energy into the room and organization. Even NYR at least he is heading to a team that went to the Conferance finals. Laferiare, Kappo Chytil maybe an option. He may do the same as JG close but not to close. 

38 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

My gut has a feeling its a team we have not even thought of like the NYR or Buffalo. Buffalo has some good prospects to grab, Couzens, Krebs, Powers ect, Matthew would insert some energy into the room and organization. Even NYR at least he is heading to a team that went to the Conferance finals. Laferiare, Kappo Chytil maybe an option. He may do the same as JG close but not to close. 

Highly unlikely Tkachuk has BUF on his long term list tho?

The biggest fear I have is that they are going to try and stay competitive, and we will end up with the Phaneuf or Joe Thornton type trade. That under no circumstances can happen. 

With a GM and a coach who only have 1 year left on their deals and a franchise who has historically made those types trades is a recipe for disaster.

I really hope I am wrong, but they really should have had Treliving’s situation figured out before the draft. 

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Twitter is saying Flames offered Tkachuk $11-mil x 8-years and was rejected.

That was a tweet of a tweet from a nobody.  Of course you are going to see crazy stuff.

The most logical thing I have seen is Kyrou + Krug + 1st, and I don't even think that was worth it.

I get it really sucks but I don't think this guy is wrong. 

Last season was very much the accumulation of what Treliving had spent years building. He probably finally felt like he had it and I have a really hard time critiquing him for thinking that way. 

I really like the fit with Dallas.

They are loaded in prospects. They have the best forwards in the OHL, QMJHL and WHL in their prospect pool. All RHS.

I think Calgary would like a Tkachuk for Robertson swap. Not sure if Dallas would though.

2023 1st

Bourque, Johnston or Stankoven

Faksa to make money work

I'd also add a prospect or pick if the Stars want lottery protection

This is a very important trade for the Flames they've gotta get it right. I don't see a hockey trade out there that will make this a win for Calgary. But a stud prospect like Wyatt Johnston could make this deal turnout well for the Flames.

I like NYR's prospects too, but the money will be tight.

18 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

They are loaded in prospects. They have the best forwards in the OHL, QMJHL and WHL in their prospect pool. All RHS.

I think Calgary would like a Tkachuk for Robertson swap. Not sure if Dallas would though.

2023 1st

Faksa to make money work

This is a very important trade for the Flames they've gotta get it right. I don't see a hockey trade out there that will make this a win for Calgary. But a stud prospect like Wyatt Johnston could make this deal turnout well for the Flames.

I think we need to be patient.  With this trade that is.  I know that the arbitration date is looming, but it should only impact the teams he hasn't really identified as being interested in.  If some team blows the doors off, then make the trade and "start the car".  

Let me explain this thought process.

If the offers haven't come by the date of arbitration, the interested teams are not going to back off.  Then can't re-sign him right away, but can as soon as January 1st.  They only make a trade pitch knowing he is interested.  They get him for 8 UFA years instead of 7 + 1 RFA year.

If the offers are there before, then no worries.  Pick the best one and start the pivot.  If you are bound and determined to get to the playoffs, sign Kadri.  If you want to take the time, look for hockey trades.  

Anyway, don't listen to me.  I have been 100% wrong on locking up the team.  We lost Guddy and JH on Day 1.  We are losing Tkachuk unless he signs a short term deal (5 years or less).  I actually think a short term deal would be more painful than a trade, but anyway.

28 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

2023 1st

Faksa to make money work

Dallas is tough to make the money work, they only have 11 to sign Oettinger and Robertson at the moment and if you add Tkachuk and subtract Faksa, still not enough.

Upon further review a deal with Dallas would be complicated.

Robertson is gonna cost anywhere between 6-8, depending on term'

Oettinger I think might get the Carter Hart deal of 3.9x3

Calgary would need to take on some "bad" money. But it would be worth it if you can squeeze extra assets out of DAL for taking cap dumps.

Faksa 3.25x3. 5 team NTC. Hasn't scored more than 30pts in 3 seasons.

Gurianov 2.9x1. Didn't think they'd qualify him, scratched in the playoffs.

Khudobin 3.3x1. Buried in the minors.

In this case, you're taking on 9.4m, essentially covering Tkachuk's salary. That's gonna come at a cost to DAL

In exchange for taking on that money I'd ask for

2023 1st

2024 2nd

Wyatt Johnston

And I'd get greedy and really push for Logan Stankoven. If Dal wants that 1st protected, it's Stankoven or no deal.

Should also mention, I would be buying out Khudobin if I was CGY.

7 pieces seems like a lot for Dallas to give up, but they're moving a 3rd string goalie and bottom 6 C with term.

5 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Calgary would need to take on some "bad" money. But it would be worth it if you can squeeze extra assets out of DAL for taking cap dumps.

In this case, you're taking on 9.4m, essentially covering Tkachuk's salary. That's gonna come at a cost to DAL

2023 1st

2024 2nd

Wyatt Johnston

And I'd get greedy and really push for Logan Stankoven. If Dal wants that 1st protected, it's Stankoven or no deal.

7 pieces seems like a lot for Dallas to give up, but they're moving a 3rd string goalie and bottom 6 C with term.

You are as crazy as me.  I was also thinking about Gurianov or Khudobin.

Definitely star for a star (JR for MT).

Heck, I would take that package you detailed in a heartbeat.

10 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

2023 1st

2024 2nd

Wyatt Johnston

So where do you think they would end up end of season would the 1st round pick be a 24-26th we give up a top 4 pick for a bag of pucks and a very low draft pick ?

1 minute ago, zima said:

So where do you think they would end up end of season would the 1st round pick be a 24-26th we give up a top 4 pick for a bag of pucks and a very low draft pick ?

You missed the entire trade.

Robertson + Faksa + Gurianov + Khudobin + Wyatt Johnson + 1st + 2nd, possibly Stankoven (high scoring C in the WHL)

for

Tkachuk

You never see deals like that.  Robertson alone was a 40 goal scorer.  On a team not known for scoring.

16 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You are as crazy as me.  I was also thinking about Gurianov or Khudobin.

Definitely star for a star (JR for MT).

Heck, I would take that package you detailed in a heartbeat.

I don't think they'd do Robertson for Tkachuk

So I'd really push for Johnston and the 1st even if it meant taking on the cap dumps.

Really wanted Stankoven in 2021 so I'd get greedy and ask for him