2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

51 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We will see what he intends to do.  I have this feeling he won't file, but that is my own twisted logic.  The arbitration timeline doesn't give him as much time as he likes to negotiate.  Arbitration is the nuclear option and I don't think he wants to go there.  The OS threat can get him a possible 5 year deal and end up in 5 years getting a really good deal.  Assumin of course that someone is willing to sign him to one.  He gets a deal at either city one way or the other.  They match, he stays and doesn't need to hold BT randsom with possibly being dealt to a crap team.  They don't match, he goes to the team he wants.

Like I said, just twisted logic.  BT is as likely to overpay on 8 years just because he lost one guy.  Maybe filing for abitration gets him that deal but maybe he doesn't want that term.

Tkachuk is a rare case where it likely doesn’t make sense to file for arbitration. I don’t see him getting a 1 year deal that beats his QO and filing takes away his ability to sign an OS.  The flames would actually likely benefit more from arbitration if they could push for a 2 year deal. 
i won’t be surprised if he doesn’t file. 

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Tkachuk is a rare case where it likely doesn’t make sense to file for arbitration. I don’t see him getting a 1 year deal that beats his QO and filing takes away his ability to sign an OS.  The flames would actually likely benefit more from arbitration if they could push for a 2 year deal. 
i won’t be surprised if he doesn’t file. 

I get that the team can file, but doesn't he automatically only get a possible 1 year deal that way?  Players in their last year before UFA can't get 2 years.  Or at least that's what I understood.  July 22nd the day the QO expires IIRC.  Is that also the last time a OS can be signed?

I don't think Tkachuk signs an offer sheet nor do I think one gete presented. A trade to St Louis makes no sense presently, Taraeseno and Kyrou are UFA and RFA next season and your no further ahead with a trade like this. I do believe that he signs a 4 year 9-9.5 Million dollar offer. In that time period if his desires are to play in St Louis their cap space and roster opens to a point that its doable. The other thing is with JG gone Matthew is now the face of the Franchise. JG leaving leaves a big hole but its not like we are destined for absoulety disaster this year. What will be disasteraous is if neither Matthew or Mags get signed to muliple year contracts, than we are in a world of trouble. 

Once their signed its a matter of changing a few players and we could be better than last year. If Kadri does sign ( highly unlikely) than you still need to move someone out Monhan/ Lucic.  A Lindy, Kadri Backs top 9 Centers would look solid. Now what about players like Rodrigues from Pitts, or Kessel. Kessel had 52 points on a crap team, has more assists than goals. Rodrigues ahd 43 points and has some size, speed and offensive. Pipe dream and highly unlikely is Patrick Kane, 92 points on a poor team, could easily fill the role of JG +. There are possibilty some very unlikely but as one can see we are not dead yet. 

Our best bet is to weaponize our cap space and try and find our own Pacioretty for futures deal.

I don’t think we are going to be able to attract free agents right now, between the lack of a new facility, the ongoing Covid deal (regardless of where you fall on this, it’s still a factor for people), the team’s uncertainty after Gaudreau left. It just feels like there is a black cloud hanging over the franchise at the moment.

If we want to improve its going to have to come via the draft and trades. 

We also need new facilities. This one is a factor, Gaudreau even mentioned Columbus’ facilities in his interview. 

Let’s wait in the weeds and find a trade that makes sense for us, whether that is taking a younger RFA in Necas from Carolina, or trading for Girard from Colorado. That’s the path to this team getting better.

29 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Our best bet is to weaponize our cap space and try and find our own Pacioretty for futures deal.

I don’t think we are going to be able to attract free agents right now, between the lack of a new facility, the ongoing Covid deal (regardless of where you fall on this, it’s still a factor for people), the team’s uncertainty after Gaudreau left. It just feels like there is a black cloud hanging over the franchise at the moment.

If we want to improve its going to have to come via the draft and trades. 

We also need new facilities. This one is a factor, Gaudreau even mentioned Columbus’ facilities in his interview. 

Let’s wait in the weeds and find a trade that makes sense for us, whether that is taking a younger RFA in Necas from Carolina, or trading for Girard from Colorado. That’s the path to this team getting better.

I agree we need to be in on trades right now.  Maybe Kadri will sign for what we might offer or maybe he won't.  If he signs, it's not at 9.5M.  Regardless, we have to be on the look out.  Monahan is a surplus player now and is a very risky final year (cap wise).  I don't know that the IR timing will allow us to buy him out.  He should still have some value to a team banking on a reclamation project.  Would CBJ be inclined to get trade Nyqvist for Monahan just to keep Johnny happy?  He has no connection to the city and only knows Guddy.  A winger for a C.  Both pending UFA's.  Maybe impossible considering that CBJ needs to sign Laine.  Perhaps there is a Mangiapane+ offer we could come up with for Laine.  

COL has Girard that they can't really keep.  Byram is probably pushing him down the lineup anyway. 

MTL might need to trade Dvorak; they are not getting what they paid for him.

NYR - Kakko?  They have few D sitting on the roster. 

Colorado will be interesting to watch this offseason.

Kadri's been a great fit there and they don't have anyone ready to step-up and replace him. Kadri would need to take a discount for it to make sense. Erik Johnson's 6m is off the books in a year. Safe to say that 6m can be directly added onto Mackinnon's next contract. Byram will be an RFA and they'd be wise to go long term this offseason, because I think he will have a great 22/23. Devon Toews up in two years as well.

I think Sam Girard has played his last game in Denver, especially if they retain Kadri. He becomes a luxury the Avs can't afford.

Calgary should be very interested in Girard and Compher.

Would love if the Flames could land Necas from Carolina. I think there's a ton of upside there. 

It's been very quiet on Niederreiter. It looks like he will be taking a paycut from his 5.25. I'd offer him the Toffoli deal at 4.25x4 to see if he would be interested. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I agree we need to be in on trades right now.  Maybe Kadri will sign for what we might offer or maybe he won't.  If he signs, it's not at 9.5M.  Regardless, we have to be on the look out.  Monahan is a surplus player now and is a very risky final year (cap wise).  I don't know that the IR timing will allow us to buy him out.  He should still have some value to a team banking on a reclamation project.  Would CBJ be inclined to get trade Nyqvist for Monahan just to keep Johnny happy?  He has no connection to the city and only knows Guddy.  A winger for a C.  Both pending UFA's.  Maybe impossible considering that CBJ needs to sign Laine.  Perhaps there is a Mangiapane+ offer we could come up with for Laine.  

COL has Girard that they can't really keep.  Byram is probably pushing him down the lineup anyway. 

MTL might need to trade Dvorak; they are not getting what they paid for him.

NYR - Kakko?  They have few D sitting on the roster. 

is Laine that much better than Mangiapane? I’m thinking more complete game. Maybe I am looking at Laine as the player he was when he left the Jets. Maybe he’s improved his complete game?  

for what Mangiapane brings, I think we could miss his PK and 200ft game. He scores similar to Laine. Laine might be more pure, but then Laine would be Monahan without the face off win percentages. And Monahan is better defensively. 

Another name I think Calgary can get for next to nothing or have picks added with is  Jason Zucker. Pittsburgh needs to move a contract Zucker seems like the likely candidate. The biggest obstacle is that Calgary is probably on his 10 team NTC.

Treliving tried to trade for him once before, so it would make sense. He is the type of player Sutter can turn into a 20+ goal guy.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Another name I think Calgary can get for next to nothing or have picks added with is  Jason Zucker. Pittsburgh needs to move a contract Zucker seems like the likely candidate. The biggest obstacle is that Calgary is probably on his 10 team NTC.

Treliving tried to trade for him once before, so it would make sense. He is the type of player Sutter can turn into a 20+ goal guy.

i remember trying to trade for him, but was the problem that he didn’t want to go to Calgary or was it that owners weren’t willing to give up the ask or the salary? I remember a lot of the story not coming out, but I thought it had to do with our side, or was it they  put it in too late and the story came out? For some reason I don’t remember it being him blocking the deal but maybe he did 

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i remember trying to trade for him, but was the problem that he didn’t want to go to Calgary or was it that owners weren’t willing to give up the ask or the salary? I remember a lot of the story not coming out, but I thought it had to do with our side, or was it they  put it in too late and the story came out? For some reason I don’t remember it being him blocking the deal but maybe he did 

IIRC, the trade was all sorted out but the paperwork didn’t make it to the NHL head office in time (by the deadline), nullifying the trade. I think I also recall his wife being outspoken about not wanting to go to Calgary. I believe she’s a tv personality in the USA. 

17 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

IIRC, the trade was all sorted out but the paperwork didn’t make it to the NHL head office in time (by the deadline), nullifying the trade. I think I also recall his wife being outspoken about not wanting to go to Calgary. I believe she’s a tv personality in the USA. 

Calgary ended up Zucker's NTC due to the botched deal at the TDL, not because of family not wanting to move

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

sounds like another BT moment of waiting too long to get something done. He has patience?

This was the Mark Stone year. The Flames were trying badly to land Stone, but wouldn't move Valimaki.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/report-flames-white-hot-losing-jason-zucker-203214755.html

Something happened and the Flames weren't happy about it. Probably worked out for the best though as it allowed the Flames to pick Pelletier. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

is Laine that much better than Mangiapane? I’m thinking more complete game. Maybe I am looking at Laine as the player he was when he left the Jets. Maybe he’s improved his complete game?  

for what Mangiapane brings, I think we could miss his PK and 200ft game. He scores similar to Laine. Laine might be more pure, but then Laine would be Monahan without the face off win percentages. And Monahan is better defensively. 

Laine is younger, more adept at scoring (typically 30+ goals) and is a PP whiz.  He's also a RHS LW, which is something we lack.  He doesn't set up others that much, but neither does Bread.  Magiapane scores goals because he is a pest and fights for space.  Laine doesn't even come close to his abilities right now and still scored 26 in 56 games.  And he's big.

I think he hates small markets that don't do much.  Trading for him would be a big committment to being a contender.  This still leaves the door open for a Dube for Girard trade.  And then Hanifin for Necas.  LOL.  If BT was able to play 3D chess, then it might work.

22 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Laine is younger, more adept at scoring (typically 30+ goals) and is a PP whiz.  He's also a RHS LW, which is something we lack.  He doesn't set up others that much, but neither does Bread.  Magiapane scores goals because he is a pest and fights for space.  Laine doesn't even come close to his abilities right now and still scored 26 in 56 games.  And he's big.

I think he hates small markets that don't do much.  Trading for him would be a big committment to being a contender.  This still leaves the door open for a Dube for Girard trade.  And then Hanifin for Necas.  LOL.  If BT was able to play 3D chess, then it might work.

i like it

56 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This was the Mark Stone year. The Flames were trying badly to land Stone, but wouldn't move Valimaki.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/report-flames-white-hot-losing-jason-zucker-203214755.html

Something happened and the Flames weren't happy about it. Probably worked out for the best though as it allowed the Flames to pick Pelletier. 

From what I remember, Flames offered Valimaki but the Sens felt Brannstrom had the higher ceiling and went with VGK's offer.

Too bad cause we could've won the Cup with Stone... Instead we reached for Brouwer and Neal as RHS RW options.

If it wasn't for VGK, we would have Eichel too...

10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

From what I remember, Flames offered Valimaki but the Sens felt Brannstrom had the higher ceiling and went with VGK's offer.

Too bad cause we could've won the Cup with Stone... Instead we reached for Brouwer and Neal as RHS RW options.

If it wasn't for VGK, we would have Eichel too...

I seem to remember it as Ottawa wanting Andersson or Valimaki and BT wouldn't do it.

The Sens also wanted Sami Niku from WPG.

Brannstrom and Valimaki were picked 1 spot apart from each other so I could see why OTT would have wanted Juuso if Brannstrom was on the table from Vegas.

Ottawa did very poorly in that trade

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I really would like to see Laine in Calgary. Pure goal scorer. 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I seem to remember it as Ottawa wanting Andersson or Valimaki and BT wouldn't do it.

The Sens also wanted Sami Niku from WPG.

Brannstrom and Valimaki were picked 1 spot apart from each other so I could see why OTT would have wanted Juuso if Brannstrom was on the table from Vegas.

Ottawa did very poorly in that trade

I didn't hear about Andersson.  Ya OTT did very bad.  Stone was a great target for us at the time.

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I didn't hear about Andersson.  Ya OTT did very bad.  Stone was a great target for us at the time.

True, but Stone didn't sound like he wanted to re-sign with us, so he was a rentail.  Would we have signed him for that much?  Dunno.  We signed Brouwer the summer before so the die was cast.  That was such a messed up season.