2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

28 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I still like Martin Necas as a target, but another guy who might make sense is Nicolas Roy, he put up 39 points last year, 6’4” RHS C/RW. Vegas doesn’t have the cap space to bring him back, we could use the size and depth down the middle.

Vegas does have the Weber LTIR to get them back in compliance.  They have an issue with a couple of guys that are RFA's but they could have a deal in place that gets signed after day 1 of the season.

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I still like Martin Necas as a target, but another guy who might make sense is Nicolas Roy, he put up 39 points last year, 6’4” RHS C/RW. Vegas doesn’t have the cap space to bring him back, we could use the size and depth down the middle.

Maybe we can flip our old pal "future considerations" for Roy... lol.

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Klingberg makes sense if the ask decreases. It would make the blueline look quite deep. The biggest organizational weakness for the Flames is RHD depth, so if they did sign Klingberg, it kicks that can further down the road.

I think Kadri is unlikely. He likely wants to return to Denver. If that falls through, maybe he considers Calgary.

Colorado is for sure his first choice ..but they have a lot of work to do . They only have $3.9M available and 2 spots short of a roster ..not sure how they will pull it off 

I also did watch the Johnny interview what he said made sense ...  But then I can also see this, as it supports the rumor that johnny's camp did counter and we did agree ..

7 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Colorado is for sure his first choice ..but they have a lot of work to do . They only have $3.9M available and 2 spots short of a roster ..not sure how they will pull it off 

I also did watch the Johnny interview what he said made sense ...  But then I can also see this, as it supports the rumor that johnny's camp did counter and we did agree ..

Not sure what's real anymore because both sides trying to save face after the fact.  Blame the other side.

But if true though, then Gaudreau was very unprofessional.

That wouldnt suprise me the owners of this team Are attached at the hip to this team they arnt just owners or they would have moved this team without a arena deal ages ago Murray Edwards or any other of the owners has the right to call anyone one out they please cause honestly i dont feel Johnny really handled it the best way he could of

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Not sure what's real anymore because both sides trying to save face after the fact.  Blame the other side.

But if true though, then Gaudreau was very unprofessional.

I can also believe it just based on Tre at the presser that night... He said good things but he was Pi$$ed..  exactly like a guy that had just given everything they asked for only for them to go ..well actually ..

And knowing people that know Murray..that is something I could totally see him doing 

But on the other hand ..I do now believe Johnny made up his mind literally last minute ..

So it is what it is at this point .. if anything we know we have an owner willing to do what it takes ..he basically handed a blank check to BT..didn't tie his hands 

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I can also believe it just based on Tre at the presser that night... He said good things but he was Pi$$ed..  exactly like a guy that had just given everything they asked for only for them to go ..well actually ..

And knowing people that know Murray..that is something I could totally see him doing 

But on the other hand ..I do now believe Johnny made up his mind literally last minute ..

So it is what it is at this point .. if anything we know we have an owner willing to do what it takes ..he basically handed a blank check to BT..didn't tie his hands 

Ya I don't know how real any of that is. 

I believe counter offers require signatures on legal documents.  You can't negotiate verbally.  Must put the numbers into writing with signatures stamped/Signed and faxed/emailed.  Once the other side signs, then it is legally binding.  Radio silence doesn't cut it.  Documents are signed and agreed to.  You can't back out without lawsuits.

28 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I think Colorado could move Girard. Byram looks ready to play on that 2nd pair behind Toews. It's still really tight to the cap though.

These past three days have been so odd. Johnny had the chance to be on the Flames Mt.Rushmore with Iggy, Kipper, Lanny. But instead went for anonymity in Columbus

Just now, The_People1 said:

Ya I don't know how real any of that is. 

I believe counter offers require signatures on legal documents.  You can't negotiate verbally.  Must put the numbers into writing with signatures stamped/Signed and faxed/emailed.  Once the other side signs, then it is legally binding.  Radio silence doesn't cut it.  Documents are signed and agreed to.  You can't back out without lawsuits.

Not typically in these cases .. the agent does the negotiation, the final result is the player signing off when the agent tells him he suggests its the best one  .. in this case  he would have sent the contract to johnny with brads signature for   him to sign ..he wouid have gone back and forth .. brad wouid have signed it, gross wouid have signed it as witness ..final signature would have been Johnny 

And even then it's more like a promise sheet .all the  final wording is done later ..just like a summary 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Not typically in these cases .. the agent does the negotiation, the final result is the player signing off when the agent tells him he suggests its the best one  .. in this case  he would have sent the contract to johnny with brads signature for   him to sign ..he wouid have gone back and forth .. brad wouid have signed it, gross wouid have signed it as witness ..final signature would have been Johnny 

And even then it's more like a promise sheet .all the  final wording is done later ..just like a summary 

Is that how NHL negotiations work?  I always assumed the agent is the legal representative.  Johnny must sign on the dotted line first in order for Gross to send the counter offer off to BT... Just like when you buy a house and the real estate agents talk... But all offers must be signed before sending to the other party.

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Is that how NHL negotiations work?  I always assumed the agent is the legal representative.  Johnny must sign on the dotted line first in order for Gross to send the counter offer off to BT... Just like when you buy a house and the real estate agents talk... But all offers must be signed before sending to the other party.

Yep.. a buddy of mine worked as an agent years back.. the player pretty much doesn't hear from the agent until he says " ok I got this for you" .. he keeps him updated ..follows direction .. like it was apparently Johnny that told gross to call Columbus  and do a deal cuz that's where he wanted to go ( after Ufa starts and no offer was coming from Philly ) 

As his legal representative it's binding in so much as if brad signs it  the terms can't change so long as Johnny signs it 

I guess the easiest way to put it is Johnny broke a handshake deal lol 

Looks like Dubios wants to go home to Montreal.  The Habs traded for Dach thinking they could flip him to WPG?  Should we go after Dach then since MTL didn't actually want him?

Also, is it a trend moving forward for players to play closer to home?  If so, who is from the Calgary area we can target?... Makar and Point... Hall... Anyone else from Calgary?

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Looks like Dubios wants to go home to Montreal.  The Habs traded for Dach thinking they could flip him to WPG?  Should we go after Dach then since MTL didn't actually want him?

Also, is it a trend moving forward for players to play closer to home?  If so, who is from the Calgary area we can target?... Makar and Point... Hall... Anyone else from Calgary?

I can remember when we used to be all over GM Sutter when he'd keep going after Good Ol' Western and Alberta boys...  Maybe he was on to something .. lol 

17 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I can remember when we used to be all over GM Sutter when he'd keep going after Good Ol' Western and Alberta boys...  Maybe he was on to something .. lol 

Lol I remember that too…and maybe he was?

anyway, the lack anything, especially after the Gaudreau loss is quite frustrating…all

we can do is wait, but it would be very reassuring if something happened…especially news of Tachuck, Manji and Kylington being extended to

long term Deals…then maybe just maybe we see something happen to fill out the top 6 some more…LW sounds like

a logical place to start? 

4 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Lol I remember that too…and maybe he was?

anyway, the lack anything, especially after the Gaudreau loss is quite frustrating…all

we can do is wait, but it would be very reassuring if something happened…especially news of Tachuck, Manji and Kylington being extended to

long term Deals…then maybe just maybe we see something happen to fill out the top 6 some more…LW sounds like

a logical place to start? 

Tomorrow will be telling..it's the deadline to file arbitration.if Chucky files he can't sign his QO.. so that wouid make his ARB date the deadline for an extension. Otherwise he gets a one year deal in arbitration

I forget if Manji is eligible , I believe he is ..so same thing for him 

21 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Tomorrow will be telling..it's the deadline to file arbitration.if Chucky files he can't sign his QO.. so that wouid make his ARB date the deadline for an extension. Otherwise he gets a one year deal in arbitration

I forget if Manji is eligible , I believe he is ..so same thing for him 

he can still accept his QO until the hearing as he can any offer. If he files it also makes him ineligible to sign an offer sheet. 
filing for arbitration is mostly procedural. It changes very little in terms of the negotiation so I would expect all of the Flames RFAs with arb rights to file. 
If Tkachuk doesn’t file it would likely be because they want to keep an offer sheet option open. 

55 minutes ago, cross16 said:

he can still accept his QO until the hearing as he can any offer. If he files it also makes him ineligible to sign an offer sheet. 
filing for arbitration is mostly procedural. It changes very little in terms of the negotiation so I would expect all of the Flames RFAs with arb rights to file. 
If Tkachuk doesn’t file it would likely be because they want to keep an offer sheet option open. 

We will see what he intends to do.  I have this feeling he won't file, but that is my own twisted logic.  The arbitration timeline doesn't give him as much time as he likes to negotiate.  Arbitration is the nuclear option and I don't think he wants to go there.  The OS threat can get him a possible 5 year deal and end up in 5 years getting a really good deal.  Assumin of course that someone is willing to sign him to one.  He gets a deal at either city one way or the other.  They match, he stays and doesn't need to hold BT randsom with possibly being dealt to a crap team.  They don't match, he goes to the team he wants.

Like I said, just twisted logic.  BT is as likely to overpay on 8 years just because he lost one guy.  Maybe filing for abitration gets him that deal but maybe he doesn't want that term.

The Tkachuk situation is so interesting.

From a hockey stand-point, Gaudreau leaving probably lowers his interest in signing long-term.

From a financial standpoint, he's coming off a career year. It's very likely that he won't hit 100pts in 22/23. This is as good a time to cash in as ever. 

Unless Tkachuk absolutely has his heart set on leaving next year, I don't see him taking a 1yr deal. I think he ends up signing a 3 or 4yr deal, to hit UFA at age 27 or 28. I don't think 8yrs is something he would want. A power forward, with a lack of foot-speed won't get the same deal at age 32 as he would at 27 or 28.

I think it could end up being something like 9.75x4. Ironically, same cap hit as JG. I just don't see Tkachuk getting more than that if he were to walk in a year. Gaudreau had 115pts and the reports are the only team with 10m on the table was CGY.