2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Let’s not forget that not only does Tre have to worry about what to do about Tkachuk, he also has Mangipane to worry about. The last negotiation with him was difficult and I could be wrong, but I believe that his agent is on the record as saying that his recommendation for Mangiapane is to accept his QO and go to free agency next year.

The deadline for players to accept their QO is July 22nd, so next Friday. So we should get some clarity by next week.

Boy, I hope it's not a Gaudreau situation all over again where both players take a one year deal at the 11th hour to screw BT.

13 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I wonder if Tre looks at trading for Dvorak. Mostly in an effort to bring in guys that Tkachuk knows and has played with to keep him around. 

I also think Tre has looked at Dvorak before, so it would make sense.

Montreal needs to clear some cap, and they have Suzuki and Dach down the middle now.

I’ve been thinking about Dvorak as well actually. Only because he may be an available C that has a higher ceiling than what he’s shown and like you said they now have Suzuki and Dach. What would MTL want in return? 

3 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

that to me just makes no sense we dont need defence we need offence with johnnys departure

I will say we do need some more speed and handling on the D.. we were getting turnstiled a lot against Edmonton .. he does bring that .. he's not Makar ..but nobody is 

3 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

yeah but if ya cant scored what is good d gonna do for you

At times during the season it looked like we really needed a powerplay quarterback. Andersson and Hanifin were acceptable, but Klingberg is better in that regard.

Plus anytime you can get a RHS D without giving up assets it is a win.

9 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

And for anybody interested..  this might m worth a watch just to at least see if he can give a better worded message to Calgary fans 

At this point, what does it really matter.  Most have moved on.  I accept the fact that he may have wanted to move for personal reasons.  There's nothing he can say that really changes how the negotiations played out.

A lot of offence can be created by D. A few skills that are lacking from the Flames D core is carrying the puck in transition, getting good quality pucks to the net and their PP lacks a true QB. Klingberg is high end in all of those categories so he checks quite a few boxes. He isn't very good in his own zone but the Flames could pair him with Tanev or Zadorov to mitigate that. 

Having said that i'm pretty skeptical there is something here. Coleman is from Texas so not surprising he'd follow a Star and the rest are Swedes. I'm not sure the Flames can afford to pay him what he might get so i'm skeptical there is much to this, even though I do think the Flames want to get a puck moving dman. 

As much as we focus on Johnny's offence and the hole he left there what should be more concerning to the Flames is his transition ability. Now he's one of the best in the league at it so you aren't going to replace it, but I'm more concerned about their transition ability and rush offence he is leaving behind than I am the points/goals. 

One of the biggest impacts of Gaudreau leaving is going to be his ability to carry the puck through the neutral zone and gaining the offensive zone, especially on the PP. That’s a skill that is very much lacking on the team right now.

So going after Klingberg would make a lot of sense.

I am not a huge fan of Klingberg, but I definitely see where he would make a big impact on this team and especially offensively. Of the remaining free agents he might have be the player that would make the biggest impact offensively.

I don’t care that Gaudreau wanted out. Good on him to be where he wants. I just think he could have let the team know in advance and let them plan at the draft. Maybe the Flames don’t trade Tkachuk at the draft anyway. But maybe he lets them know and a team trades for his rights earlier. I like Johnny. Not mad at him, just upset management didn’t trade him a year or two ago when they could’ve gotten value. Eric Francis, ThePeople, JJ, maybe Lou and I would’ve done it then. 

that’s it for me. I dont need to dwell anymore. 

Surprised by Klingberg signing with the Flames. I thought he had lost all of his love for us in the playoffs. 

I still like Martin Necas as a target, but another guy who might make sense is Nicolas Roy, he put up 39 points last year, 6’4” RHS C/RW. Vegas doesn’t have the cap space to bring him back, we could use the size and depth down the middle.

Klingberg makes sense if the ask decreases. It would make the blueline look quite deep. The biggest organizational weakness for the Flames is RHD depth, so if they did sign Klingberg, it kicks that can further down the road.

I think Kadri is unlikely. He likely wants to return to Denver. If that falls through, maybe he considers Calgary.