2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

42 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Starting to feel like he just wanted to go somewhere and play hockey. Not the star of a Canadian team, not Philly (pressure from that fanbase) or his hometown just a nice place to play where he can do his thing and be him, closer to his family, and have his kid (or kids) grow up in an area he likes. 

That doesn't strike me as out of character for him either. 

I guess Columbus being in the same division as Philly, NJ, and NY probably helps too. He will be travelling through that area a lot during the season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The blueline will be interesting to watch at camp.

Left side looks set

Hanifin

Kylington

Zadorov

Valimaki, Mackey and Meloche are all waiver eligible, likely fighting for a 3rd pair role.

I think Meloche will be the sleeper for the 3rd pair.. good shot. good skating ..snarly SOB too 

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Meloche is a Right shot.

I think Kylington gets traded.

Meloche definitely has the leg-up. Especially because Sutter likes the L-R balance.

Definitely, a good time to sell-high on Kylington. I just don't love Zadorov in a top 4

If the Flames can get him at the Forsling deal at 2.6, I'd be ok with keeping him

1 minute ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Meloche definitely has the leg-up. Especially because Sutter likes the L-R balance.

Definitely, a good time to sell-high on Kylington. I just don't love Zadorov in a top 4

If the Flames can get him at the Forsling deal at 2.6, I'd be ok with keeping him

I think one of Mackey or Valimaki can replace Kylington pretty easily and probably be even better.

Also let’s not forget that Tanev could miss a big portion of the season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The blueline will be interesting to watch at camp.

Left side looks set

Hanifin

Kylington

Zadorov

Valimaki, Mackey and Meloche are all waiver eligible, likely fighting for a 3rd pair role.

Man we still need that #1 LD somehow.  Hanifin is a solid second pairing LD but we need that #1.  Now that we don't have Gaudreau, trading Tkachuk feels like a non-starter (if we plan to win the Cup).  There's not a lot of ammo to land that #1 LD.   We need Jeremie Poirier to come in and win rookie of the year or something.

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I guess we won’t be uniting the Strome brothers.

Dylan could be a good fallback if we don't get Kadri..at least he can set up plays Toffoli can finish 

What wouid be realllly funny?  Now that johnny has signed in Columbus ..we shouid trade for JVR and Provorov..   oh look , cap space ... Ohh too bad too late 😂

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think one of Mackey or Valimaki can replace Kylington pretty easily and probably be even better.

actually the last update on Tanev was good. As of now the flames think he’ll be back by the regular season start and possibly even training camp. 

It was in an athletic article I will see if I can dig up again

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

UFA has really thinned out.

There are three players remaining that could help mitigate the loss of Gaudreau

Kadri

Palat

Niedereitter

Maybe the Flames circle back on Jarnkrok in a few days.

There's not a ton left, the Flames may use their cap space via trade

Combination of any of the 3 would be great. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

actually the last update on Tanev was good. As of now the flames think he’ll be back by the regular season start and possibly even training camp. 

That’s good news. Calgary will need him if they have any hope of making the playoffs.

I think the Pacific Division is going to be tough next year. Edmonton should have better goaltending and they will most likely be a playoff team. Vegas will probably bounce back and be in the mix. LA will be better than last year. Anaheim will have their young guys take another step.

18 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Treliving said this at the draft as well.

34 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I guess we won’t be uniting the Strome brothers.

This sucks, another miss by BT!

hope we can land D. Strome, younger and plays LW/C…solid fit for for the 2nd line, but having R. Strome as the Ctr would have been much better…but hopefully Monahan is healthy and we

land D. Strome:

Manji/Lindholm/Tachuck 

Strome/Monahan/Toffoil 

Coleman/Backlund/Dube

lucic/Russo (I think)/Lewis

could be a solid line up, maybe even deeper than last year if some

of the AHL guys like

Ruzi and Pelletier can make make

the club and bump Lewis to a spare?

D is looking to be in no worse shape either and there would be money to spare…even with hopefully re-up long term on Manji, Tachuck and Kylington….can’t see D.Strome getting more than R. Strome’s 5x5.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Meloche is a Right shot.

I think Kylington gets traded.

If Kylington is the 2nd pairing guy from last year, and we only have two thers to choose from (Val, Mackey) that didn't really get much look, why do you see a trade coming?  Sutter only lost a little bit of trust in Kylington.  Still played 16+ minutes, even in the playoffs.  

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Unless we can't afford Kylington, or we want to upgrade elsewhere, bringing in one of two rookies for 2ns pairing doesn't make a lot of sense.  You may not like the player and may think both Mackey and Valinaki have more upside, but they need to do more than just play well (or not well) in the AHL.  In Sutter's eyes, Mackey is closer to NHL ready than Valimaki.  He went out of his way to say that.  As a 7th D, one of them stands a chance.  

Kylington just isn’t a 2nd pairing guy, but Tanev is that good, that he made him look like a 2nd pairing guy. I think both Mackey and Valimaki are better players right now than Kylington is.

I wouldn’t pay him anything more than 2x$2m, and my guess is he is looking for more, so I would trade him while his value is high.

I wiill say this, having Zaddy back is not a bad thing.  We lost some toughness with Guddy signing elsewhere.  We have to do something with the cap we have remaining, regardless of any big signings.  Monahan and Lucic are luxuries that we can't afford now.  Maybe CBJ takes him for future considerations.  Otherwise it's out to California.  

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Kylington just isn’t a 2nd pairing guy, but Tanev is that good, that he made him look like a 2nd pairing guy. I think both Mackey and Valimaki are better players right now than Kylington is.

I wouldn’t pay him anything more than 2x$2m, and my guess is he is looking for more, so I would trade him while his value is high.

Sorry, but until they show up in camp and actually do something, they are just unproven NHL depth.  Not saying they aren't better, but they have yet to show that this year.  If they don't trade Kylington for cap or to improve elsewhere, I expect Valimaki might be.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I wiill say this, having Zaddy back is not a bad thing.  We lost some toughness with Guddy signing elsewhere.  We have to do something with the cap we have remaining, regardless of any big signings.  Monahan and Lucic are luxuries that we can't afford now.  Maybe CBJ takes him for future considerations.  Otherwise it's out to California.  

It'll be interesting.

Aside from Kadri and Palat, there aren't really any prominent UFA's left. Calgary may have to look at the trade market.

Tkachuk needs to be a huge priority. Find out right away what he wants. I still believe that if the Flames dangle the captaincy, it will entice him to stick around. Nobody thought Brady would sign long-term with OTT, so I wouldn't rule it out with Matthew. 

Moving Monahan might be difficult. The going rate to dump salary with ARI is a 2 and a 3