2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

14 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Wonder how they make this work with Laine. They had 12 mill cap space left and got Gaudreau. That's a lot of clearing to do to try and get Laine back. 

From an asset management perspective, CBJ won big time.  Now they can trade Laine for something nice while having him replaced with another elite offensive star.

12 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Closer .. yes ..but 500 miles is still an 8 hr drive 

I have to ask this, but where did he build/buy a home?  For some reason I thought it was in Jersey, near the shore.  IN CBJ, he will have an easy commute by plane when they get enough days off to go home.  Otherwise, he's sleeping in a hotel.  Perhaps he buys a condo there.

18 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Closer .. yes ..but 500 miles is still an 8 hr drive 

Yup but logistically a lot closer for family to come watch him play and he likely wants to raise his family closer than Calgary. 

I will say though, and i've hinted at this before, I do think Gaudreau and his agent overplayed their hand. I was not of the belief Gaudreau was going to get 10-11 mill plus on the open market and honestly that's why I was so convinced he was staying. Columbus may have been the only team willing to pay him anywhere close to what Calgary was offering. 

Plenty of other things than money, but the Flames don't look as bad today as they did yesterday. 

49 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Little bit surprised that Johnny hasn't signed today.

It sounded like the Flames (thought) they were close to the deal last night, then it fell through. I would have thought that meant Johnny had a deal in hand.

I think what's happening is NYI and NJ are trying to use geography to lower Johnny's price. 

Saw the CBJ offer, that's a crazy offer.

What was the CBJ offer? 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Yup but logistically a lot closer for family to come watch him play and he likely wants to raise his family closer than Calgary. 

I will say though, and i've hinted at this before, I do think Gaudreau and his agent overplayed their hand. I was not of the belief Gaudreau was going to get 10-11 mill plus on the open market and honestly that's why I was so convinced he was staying. Columbus may have been the only team willing to pay him anywhere close to what Calgary was offering. 

Plenty of other things than money, but the Flames don't look as bad today as they did yesterday. 

He made a choice, but the fact he wouldn't even let his true intentions known until he was worth nothing to us makes it seem worse.  We may have had little interest in his rights, but Philly might have been able to make the deal with a couple of weeks.  

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Depends.  Maybe Seattle offered $10m but it was farther from home than Calgary.  If Gaudreau limited his choices then for sure he wasn't going to get $10m.  He wasn't exactly on the open market per se.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He made a choice, but the fact he wouldn't even let his true intentions known until he was worth nothing to us makes it seem worse.  We may have had little interest in his rights, but Philly might have been able to make the deal with a couple of weeks.  

According to rumors Philly has been trying to make space for a while. Came close to dealing JVR but decided the price was too rich. 

Last night I was fine with him leaving for Philly, NJ or the Islanders, but this just is bad for everyone involved except Jarmo. 

Obviously he didn’t care about legacy, because with this signing he just killed his legacy in Calgary.

He is going to get booed when he comes back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Whoa so not even signing bonus structure?

There is something at play here we don't know about. This is a place he clearly wants to be. 

That or he has the world's worst agent. 

Any word on what NJ and NYI's offers were?  Was the money that far apart?

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Welcome to alt-right America Johnny. Hahaha. Tell me your a doofus without telling me your a doofus.

"Honey, we're moving to Columbus".

Toooo funny.

Detroit had a solid day of short-term signings without breaking the bank.

Chiarot/Maatta

Perron/Kubalik/Copp.

Pretty tidy.

He's moving from Calgary, Canada to Calgary, USA

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Whoa so not even signing bonus structure?

There is something at play here we don't know about. This is a place he clearly wants to be. 

That or he has the world's worst agent. 

Why wouldn't he just wait? Columbus, jeebus. Hopefully Yzerman inquired and said I don't Blockchaining think so. Detroit to CBS is maybe 3 hours.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Any word on what NJ and NYI's offers were?  Was the money that far apart?

Some reports out there said NYI was only going as high as 9. Nothing on what NJ was offering. 

i never really saw the Islanders as a fit personally. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Depends.  Maybe Seattle offered $10m but it was farther from home than Calgary.  If Gaudreau limited his choices then for sure he wasn't going to get $10m.  He wasn't exactly on the open market per se.

i would agree which is also part of the reason i wasn't convinced he was going to get the offers some thought. It was pretty clear that the teams in on this were going to be limited. Philly didn't have the cap, Islanders didn't have the cap to go all in either. 

But the fact he isn't going to the Devils is what I don't get. Would have loved to know what their offer was.