2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

5 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Even having a big body in front of the net will get their fair share of greasy goals which is something that is lacking as it is.

I think Puljujarvi could do well here because of exactly that, we miss a big body who goes to the front of the net consistently.  He's not the smartest player on the rush and stuff but Sutter deploys a simple attack.   Nothing overly complicated that requires 300 IQ keeping up with McDavid.  Depending on the price, we should target him.

So Brock Boeser signs a 3-year deal for $6.65 taking him to UFA after.  Does this help us lock down Mangiapane under $6-mil?

Boeser has never scored 30 but has been the more consistent player for the past 5-years.  Posted better total numbers than Mangiapane.  Does Mangiapane have a case to make that he should make more than Boeser?

58 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

So Brock Boeser signs a 3-year deal for $6.65 taking him to UFA after.  Does this help us lock down Mangiapane under $6-mil?

Boeser has never scored 30 but has been the more consistent player for the past 5-years.  Posted better total numbers than Mangiapane.  Does Mangiapane have a case to make that he should make more than Boeser?

Boeser is consistent in his decline.  Half of his goals and a third of his points came on the PP.

But that doesn't answer your question.

Bread is worth what we can't afford to pay him.

Not without restructuring the payroll.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I think Puljujarvi could do well here because of exactly that, we miss a big body who goes to the front of the net consistently.  He's not the smartest player on the rush and stuff but Sutter deploys a simple attack.   Nothing overly complicated that requires 300 IQ keeping up with McDavid.  Depending on the price, we should target him.

Pooly has a better than average shot.  Nobody is going to give him the puck on the rush with NcD out there.  HIs job was to get the puck to McD.  As a playmake, he probably average.  Defensively he is sound.  Unfortunately, we need both a playmaker and a shooter.  We have a couple of shooters and a playmaker.  Most of that on one line.

If we could get a 2C out of a Tkachuk trade, then we have more options at RW.

Toffoli with Gaudreau and Lindy.

A 2C with Pelletier and Pooly.

A line with Mange, Backlund and Coleman

A line with a LW, Rozie and Lewis.

We suddenly have 3 lines that can score amd every line can defend.   I just threw together a few lines without really thinking.  The idea is we have depth at C.  No one line is too small.  Scoring should come.

Arthur Staple from The Athletic listed Monahan as a possible target for the Rangers as the cost would be minimal, as the Rangers don't have much for cap space I would think the Flames would have to either eat some salary or take back a player like Nemeth, not ideal but at this point almost any trade where we aren't taking a similar cap hit or giving up a quality future asset is the preferred route.

14 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Boeser is consistent in his decline.  Half of his goals and a third of his points came on the PP.

But that doesn't answer your question.

Bread is worth what we can't afford to pay him.

Not without restructuring the payroll.

Ya Boeser has been trending sideways if not down.  Mangiapane is trending up with more room to grow.  Are we talking $6.75 x 5 for Mange?  We can't afford that.

I know he gets talked about as a potential should Gaudreau not sign but this backs up just how scary of a contract that would be.

But I also don't get why Boston is mentioned here. Boston is already at the cap and that doesn't even include Bergeron who has rumored to agreed verbally. 

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If we cannot afford to re-sign Mangiapane then can we trade him for the 5th OA?

I doubt it.  I think Mang would get a first but not top 5, I think a pretty big difference between DeBrincat and Mang, but who knows with Philly they are a train wreck right now.

20 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I get it. Money will be there, they clearly like the player and the fit is there.

Potentially pretty scary contract though but this doesn't surprise me. 

What a great way for Kadri to redeem himself if he chooses to come to Calgary after rejecting a trade here.  We like the player.  We just don't know if he likes it here.

34 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Apparently here in the Peg Bowness has had a chat with Scheifle and is now "100% committed to the team". No word on PLD but having a new coach with a bit of a pedigree may keep the malcontents off the market. 

Too bad.  Scheifele would've been a great add for us.

17 hours ago, The_People1 said:

We all care about your level of respect... But does Gaudreau?  Speaking of "face of the team", we've been wanting to give Tkachuk the Captaincy over Gaudreau... Is he happy about that?

This situation is very similar with Panarin/CBJ few years ago.  When Panarin left, CBJ was shattered.  Never recovered.  Panarin has gone on to keep scoring.

I'm okay if Gaudreau goes but BT needs to pivot immediately to a retool to regain trust.  If not then he needs to go.   None of this, "out goes Gaudreau but we will have internal growth to offset the loss".  Just slight of hand nonsense that will disappoint all fans who to win a Cup, not just make the playoffs and be one-and-done and be happy with that.

I would hazard a guess this is a big reason why we are hearing the flames kicking tires on these other players ..debrincat, kadri.etc ..

He's getting backup plans in order .. 

I just hope they've given some sort of of deadline for his decision.  I'd have personally done it with the draft , but absolutely lastest needs to be 11:59pm of the 12th 

I've said before ..the silence on the Johnny front is deafening.. almost too quiet 

If sources are correct , flames offered a substantial offer .. shortly after the season ended .. so a month ago .

Since then.. no response from johnny's camp..

No decline , no counter , no nothing.. 

Flames can NOT allow this to hit July 13 or pivot options fall quickly.. look at all the goalie dominoes that fell for the Oilers for example while they were pushing hard for Markstrom..by the time he sighed with the flames they were forced to resign Smith 

This leads me to believe either 

A) it was a "final" offer .. so he's debating and taking his time ..which makes little sense cuz even in those cases most agents will at least try and counter ..or the agent leaks that to the media 

B )  maybe it's part of something bigger ..maybe they need to get Chucky resigned based on that for him to accept ..and both get anounced together .. I could Johnny being concerned about their ability to run it back and not go backwards 

C ) maybe they know his desire is to go home so maybe a sign and trade is being discussed on the hush.. Johnny and agent keep their mouths out of  the media and BT quietly has talks with Philly and NJ  on the condition anything hit the media it's over .. in this day and age that wouid be difficult but could be done .. Big Lou has done it for years 

Dunno ..just find it way too quiet.. no updates ..no agent media tactics .. not even any typical "pre damage control "..like " we have made a very substantial offer " ..  the only parties to even have any kind of knowledge are Lebrun and Friedman ..both are very respected enough that they will only say what they are allowed to say 

There is , to me anyway , just something here that reeks of something going down that's not being said .. 

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I would hazard a guess this is a big reason why we are hearing the flames kicking tires on these other players ..debrincat, kadri.etc ..

He's getting backup plans in order .. 

I just hope they've given some sort of of deadline for his decision.  I'd have personally done it with the draft , but absolutely lastest needs to be 11:59pm of the 12th 

I think it comes down to 11:59 on the 12th. Once the 13th hits, Gaudreau is gone. The leverage the Flames have is the 8th year, that's out the window on the 13th.

I'm not surprised it's been quiet. There's not really any incentive for the Gaudreau camp right now. His leverage only increases the closer we get to the 13th. Deadlines create action. Next week the desperation level will be at an all-time high from the Flames. The rumoured offer was 9.5 from the Flames, next week that will increase, even by as much as a million. 

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

I've said before ..the silence on the Johnny front is deafening.. almost too quiet 

If sources are correct , flames offered a substantial offer .. shortly after the season ended .. so a month ago .

Since then.. no response from johnny's camp..

No decline , no counter , no nothing.. 

Flames can NOT allow this to hit July 13 or pivot options fall quickly.. look at all the goalie dominoes that fell for the Oilers for example while they were pushing hard for Markstrom..by the time he sighed with the flames they were forced to resign Smith 

This leads me to believe either 

A) it was a "final" offer .. so he's debating and taking his time ..which makes little sense cuz even in those cases most agents will at least try and counter ..or the agent leaks that to the media 

B )  maybe it's part of something bigger ..maybe they need to get Chucky resigned based on that for him to accept ..and both get anounced together .. I could Johnny being concerned about their ability to run it back and not go backwards 

C ) maybe they know his desire is to go home so maybe a sign and trade is being discussed on the hush.. Johnny and agent keep their mouths out of  the media and BT quietly has talks with Philly and NJ  on the condition anything hit the media it's over .. in this day and age that wouid be difficult but could be done .. Big Lou has done it for years 

Dunno ..just find it way too quiet.. no updates ..no agent media tactics .. not even any typical "pre damage control "..like " we have made a very substantial offer " ..  the only parties to even have any kind of knowledge are Lebrun and Friedman ..both are very respected enough that they will only say what they are allowed to say 

There is , to me anyway , just something here that reeks of something going down that's not being said .. 

A ) it does not sound like a final offer because from what we've heard, the Flames were waiting for a response from the Gaudreau camp to negotiate if necessary.  So that implies there is room to discuss the offer further.  

B ) Tkachuk is a Calgary Flames come September by default due to RFA status.  Unless something changes, Tkachuk is a Calgary Flames.  

C ) doubtful.  I bet both PHI and NJ only want Gaudreau until 35 and don't want to pay him until 36.  

Here's my take.

Similar to Fiala/Kings, there has been some tampering going on under the table.  Gaudreau's agent already knows what NJ/PHI are willing to offer.  PHI pivoting to Debrincat suggest to me they know NJ has them beat. 

At 11:59 on the 12th, the Gaudreau camp will counter the Flames offer with something ridiculous and with no time for the Flames to counter.  It's take it or leave it.

On the 13th, he will either be a Flames or immediately sign with NJ.

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

A ) it does not sound like a final offer because from what we've heard, the Flames were waiting for a response from the Gaudreau camp to negotiate if necessary.  So that implies there is room to discuss the offer further.  

B ) Tkachuk is a Calgary Flames come September by default due to RFA status.  Unless something changes, Tkachuk is a Calgary Flames.  

C ) doubtful.  I bet both PHI and NJ only want Gaudreau until 35 and don't want to pay him until 36.  

Here's my take.

Similar to Fiala/Kings, there has been some tampering going on under the table.  Gaudreau's agent already knows what NJ/PHI are willing to offer.  PHI pivoting to Debrincat suggest to me they know NJ has them beat. 

At 11:59 on the 12th, the Gaudreau camp will counter the Flames offer with something ridiculous and with no time for the Flames to counter.  It's take it or leave it.

I think it won’t go that far..BT is not exactly a foolish GM…he’s gonna trade his rights before that happens….

or maybe he signs…

or maybe there is a sign and trade being worked on…

I doubt they let him walk after Iggy, Brodie and Loosing Gio all for pretty much nil returns…well crap return on Iggy, and well they could have managed to sign some one much like what TO did for Gio…I think if Gaudreau walks for nothing in return that’s BT’s job gone…he’s screwed these issues or similar issues up in the past as mentioned…I don’t think he’s gonna get a strike 3 on that (Iggy wasn’t his fault, but Gio and Brodie were) 

17 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

I think it won’t go that far..BT is not exactly a foolish GM…he’s gonna trade his rights before that happens….

or maybe he signs…

I doubt they let him walk after Iggy, Brodie and Loosing Gio all for pretty much nil returns…well crap return on Iggy, and well they could have managed to sign some one much like what TO did for Gio…I think if Gaudreau walks for nothing in return that’s BT’s job gone…he’s screwed these issues or similar issues up in the past as mentioned…I don’t think he’s gonna get a strike 3 on that (Iggy wasn’t his fault, but Gio and Brodie were) 

"Sign and trade" requires Gaudreau's camp to negotiate and sign a deal.  Which is reportedly not occuring.  There is silence on the negotiating part.

BT also tells us he's strictly working on signing both Gaudreau and Tkachuk.  There is no trade offers being made or considered.  This could all be poker and GM speak of course.  But I think we can rule out the sign and trade idea.

13 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

or maybe he signs…

See..and I don't buy into the doom and gloom ..lose Johnny and suddenly were the Senators ..theory .

First ..Iggy wasn't his deal..

He did have a deal for TJ.. Kadri veoted it ..

In the end , we chose to sign Tanev over TJ.. I'll take that swap any day of the week .

The asking price to not lose GIo was ridiculous.. had we paid it we likely would have lost kyllington instead...and not had the money to pick up a Toffoli.. or either of the 3rd pair this year . 

I want Johnny signed . But not at the expense of having to field lesser talent elsewhere .. to me anything over 10.2, he can go.. thats the 8 year equivalent of Panarin:s 7 year deal.. 

Everybody worried our d wouid suck this year .you can't replace the best dman they cried .. well they did.. but as a group..

Same thing with Johnny.. $10mill you don't pay him can pay a 2nd line C.. keep some D.. etc..

Again..I want him signed.. but if he has to walk vs being paid too much and handcuffing everything else , that's what a good gm does 

7 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

See..and I don't buy into the doom and gloom ..lose Johnny and suddenly were the Senators ..theory .

I could only wish we could be the Senators as they tanked hard.  We will be worse.  Be like the Predators, Blue Jackets, Flyers, etc.  Just a middling team that's makes the playoffs one year and misses the next and never go far in the playoffs when they get there.  Never bad enough to draft the best players.

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

"Sign and trade" requires Gaudreau's camp to negotiate and sign a deal.  Which is reportedly not occuring.  There is silence on the negotiating part.

BT also tells us he's strictly working on signing both Gaudreau and Tkachuk.  There is no trade offers being made or considered.  This could all be poker and GM speak of course.  But I think we can rule out the sign and trade idea.

Ya.. we've heard that line before lol..

See I don't think they'll do the last minute pressure counter..they're clear they're open to a counter so you'd think if this was about $ there'd have been at least one ..

I really do believe this is a personal debate over where to play.. I believe he loves it here.. but can't fault the guy if he has an opp to play close to home ..

But I do think in it all he has enough class not to leave Calgary out to dry.. I'd like to think if he does decide to go elsewhere he agrees to sign our deal on the condition they trade him... And that would be what could be quietly being discussed on the down low 

Like I said before ..this is all wayyyy too quiet right now 

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Here's my take.

Or they know they won't be able to clear the cap sign necessary to sign him. Flyers have to clear a lot of cap space to even get their foot in the door. 

I don't read too much into the silence to be honest and if I had to guess i'm not sure it's a negative. I think if you are the Flames the only concern you have right now is he's already decide to move on and if that were the case the silence would make no sense and it would make even less sense for Treliving to give an interview saying they are only considering signing them.  It would be a pretty busy league agent tactic to wait that late to counter too. 

The silence tells me Gaudreau is still very much in play for Calgary but wants to wait them out for a better offer or he's waiting for another desirable location to be able to make a pitch. I'm not sure what info could be hidden at this point. 

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I could only wish we could be the Senators as they tanked hard.  We will be worse.  Be like the Predators, Blue Jackets, Flyers, etc.  Just a middling team that's makes the playoffs one year and misses the next and never go far in the playoffs when they get there.  Never bad enough to draft the best players.

So you're saying Johnny walks and we get a Forsberg as just an example ..and we're suddenly at risk of missing the playoffs ? 

Look up north..they have 2 of the best players in the league and how many years have they sucked ?  One player does not make your team..  I want him on the team..and he's earned the right to get paid .. but we can find other ways to fill the holes if we have to 

• Like 1