2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

Well after doing some instagram stalking, Cole Schwindt seems pretty excited to come to Calgary, he already changed his bio to read Calgary Flames Prospect. 

Huberdeau took the Florida Panthers out of his bio, but no mention of Calgary. He mentions the Sea Dogs in his bio though.

Weegar’s social medias are set to private, but his instagram bio still says Florida Panthers.

I am sure there is nothing to read into, but I do like that Schwindt seems legit excited to be a member of the Calgary Flames.

24 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Well after doing some instagram stalking, Cole Schwindt seems pretty excited to come to Calgary, he already changed his bio to read Calgary Flames Prospect. 

Huberdeau took the Florida Panthers out of his bio, but no mention of Calgary. He mentions the Sea Dogs in his bio though.

Weegar’s social medias are set to private, but his instagram bio still says Florida Panthers.

I am sure there is nothing to read into, but I do like that Schwindt seems legit excited to be a member of the Calgary Flames.

And of course Huberdeau has changed his Instagram picture from him in a Panthers jersey to him in a Flames jersey.

That’s good news right?

21 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

And of course Huberdeau has changed his Instagram picture from him in a Panthers jersey to him in a Flames jersey.

That’s good news right?

I gotta imagine it’s an emotional time for him.

He’s the most prolific scorer in Panther history and it seems like he was blindsided by the trade.

I also can’t imagine the idea of trading in his Lamborghini for an F-150 is really easy right now

11 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I gotta imagine it’s an emotional time for him.

He’s the most prolific scorer in Panther history and it seems like he was blindsided by the trade.

I also can’t imagine the idea of trading in his Lamborghini for an F-150 is really easy right now

can't he fit his stampede gear in the Lambo? 

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Of the remaining UFA’s here is my list, I would target:

Kadri: he is ideal, as he would give us depth down the middle, he can run a line, play in all situations. Sounds like he doesn’t want to come here and he will be expensive anyways.

Kessel: He still has some left in the tank. Doubtful he would come here, but he would be a good fit in the top 6.

Rodrigues: He had a bit of a breakout season, he is a good skater and would fit nicely in the middle 6.

Milano: He has high end skill, there is no doubt about that. Might not fit in Sutter’s system.

Steel: A bit of a reclamation project, former 1st round pick.

Sprong: A goal scorer hasn’t been able to stick, but a RHS RW.

JT, I have no problem with Kadri, but that's an expensive long term deal.

It may put us back in contender status, since right now we are still a few men down.

There is nothing but salary in the deal, but we have to be ready to pay Hubie.

Next year sot so much an inssue, but it's nice to have cap.

Not for TDL buying but taking crap for prospects and picks.

If we signed Kadri, there isn't really room this year for Monahan and Lucic.

Rodrigues is intriguing.

He's potential 2C unless we want to use him as a RW.

Thinking ahead, perhaps Pelletier-ER-Toffoli

Third line Coleman-Backlund-Dube

Fourth line LW-Rozie/Rooney-Lewis

If we can't get the lineup we want in UFA signings, then we need to consider trades.

Hanifin or Kylington + Dube for Barzal?

Barzal means we don't need that playmaker on the 2nd line.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

That’s good news right?

Yep.. he was in the group chat with the boys apparently too and shouid be doing his media availability tomorrow 

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It may put us back in contender status, since right now we are still a few men down.

Rodrigues is intriguing.

If we can't get the lineup we want in UFA signings, then we need to consider trades.

Something definitely has to happen with the d now .. can't keep 10.. still haven't signed stone and you just know he's going to..

Still think we should package one and a pick and go get Puljjaarvi.. 

On a side note..  flames haters on social media are hilarious ..

The evolution..

"Haha Johnny left for nothing.. you won't make the playoffs now " 

"Even if Tkachuk signs he won't be any good cuz Johnny carried him" 

"Florida won that trade cuz now both players you got will walk for free too" 

" You better trade him cuz he won't sign" 

It's gonna be so fun ramming it down their throats next year.  😎🤣🤣

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

Something definitely has to happen with the d now .. can't keep 10.. still haven't signed stone and you just know he's going to..

Still think we should package one and a pick and go get Puljjaarvi.. 

On a side note..  flames haters on social media are hilarious ..

The evolution..

"Haha Johnny left for nothing.. you won't make the playoffs now " 

"Even if Tkachuk signs he won't be any good cuz Johnny carried him" 

"Florida won that trade cuz now both players you got will walk for free too" 

" You better trade him cuz he won't sign" 

It's gonna be so fun ramming it down their throats next year.  😎🤣🤣

I like the idea of Kylington for Puljujarvi. Not sure if EDM would though.

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Rodrigues is intriguing.

I don’t think that is anywhere near enough for Barzal. It will probably have to be something like Mangiapane, Hanifin and Coronato, and even then I don’t think that gets it done.

I also don’t think Kylington has much value.

49 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Word was they were only looking for a pick.. teams are so tight tho probably leery of his ARB hearing 

Question. If Edmonton goes to Arb with Pool, could they walk away from the ruling and make him a UFA?

If they don’t walk away, can they trade him or are they forced to keep him? Would it hurt their chances of signing Yamamoto and McLeod if they don’t walk away? 

9 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Question. If Edmonton goes to Arb with Pool, could they walk away from the ruling and make him a UFA?

If they don’t walk away, can they trade him or are they forced to keep him? Would it hurt their chances of signing Yamamoto and McLeod if they don’t walk away? 

I belive it's the same situation as with Tkachuk.  By acceoting an award, the team had only two choices; keep him for the year or let him walk as a UFA.  They get no compensation for him walking.  I'm not 100% sure of the math, but I think he walks this deal to FA.  They are going to have to trade him or sign him for the value he wants.  

They are living on borrowed time.  They have $68k cap remaining with 9F signed.  McLwod they can hold of on, since he has no rights.  Sign him after the season starts.  They have Smith and Klefbom going to be on IR, but Smith's isn't guaranteed.  He has to be evaluated and it's not before the season starts.  So, 4.2M without him of cap relief.  I don't buy it was season ending LTIR.  That's not enough LTIR to do all 3, let alone have a full roster.  If Smith is not on IR until the start, they have $1M less overage.  

They have to trade him and the offers are luke warm.  We can help them out with a pick.  

I suppose this may be resolved when Kane is forced to go back to SJ.  EDM will need to make a good offer for SJ to retain salary and trade him there.  Or another team gets him.  Kane knows all this and may not even have gotten a serious offer as a UFA, unless the team rolls the dice.  By taking EDM's offer, he looks like a good guy.  I have nothing to back this up, other than some speculation by analysts.  I think it would be a great thing.  They trade Pooly for a 2nd.  They sign Yammer.  They lose Kane.  SJ doesn't want him, so they have to make a trade to get him back.  Or even better, he goes East and there are no high end FA's left.

This is my "karma is a biatch" version.      

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I don’t think that is anywhere near enough for Barzal. It will probably have to be something like Mangiapane, Hanifin and Coronato, and even then I don’t think that gets it done.

I also don’t think Kylington has much value.

Well, the cost may be high, but they can't take on more than $7M really.

They have $11M and need to get Dobson and Romanov signed.  Also Bellows.

It was just a thought.

They were 16 out of a WC spot last year.

With Lou there I don't think they can re-sign him.

I dont think Barzal has Tkachuk value.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well, the cost may be high, but they can't take on more than $7M really.

They have $11M and need to get Dobson and Romanov signed.  Also Bellows.

It was just a thought.

They were 16 out of a WC spot last year.

With Lou there I don't think they can re-sign him.

I dont think Barzal has Tkachuk value.

His value is pretty close to Tkachuk,  he is a center, one of the best skaters in the league, and he drives offense. He will cost a fair amount.

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

His value is pretty close to Tkachuk,  he is a center, one of the best skaters in the league, and he drives offense. He will cost a fair amount.

Shhhh, I was hoping Lou wouldn't remember that.

In a world of what have you done for me lately, he sets up goals more than he scores.

His best seasons are in the past.

If NY values 200 foot play and defense, then Hanifin + Mangiapane + Zary might be a reasonable value.

If we retain $2M of Hanifin salary, then they can come in close on the cap.

A 35 goal scorer and young D and a high level prospect.

Sounds similar to what was being offered for 100 point Tkachuk.

Hey, I'm just throwing it out there.

If there was a way to make it work, it would be fun.

But we may have more luck getting Dvorak out of MTL.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Rodrigues is intriguing.

Keep in mind, we are still have some issues right now.  Players will think twice come to Calgary, so don't expect Kadri sign here.  He didn't want to come last time, why he wants to do it now?  It's pretty bad moment right now.  In addition, after hearing BT interview, I can sense he hasn't talk to Huberdeau or Weegar about contract yet.  There is a good amount probability they won't resign here either.  As I said, for the time being, I don't think many players want to play in Calgary right now given you just lost your two best players.  However I thank Matthew at least being honest to help out the organization at the end.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

His value is pretty close to Tkachuk,  he is a center, one of the bekaters in the league, and he drives offense. He will cost a fair amount.

Whatever we have now is not enough to keep Huberdeau here in Calgary.  We need to have a serious Stanly Cup contender team in order for players to stay in Calgary because this is the only reason why players will stay here now.  Calgary is really look like Winnipeg right now, by losing both Gaudreau and Tkachuk really hurts the image.  No kidding, this looks really bad right now.  BT knows this year is not the time for rebuild, he might as well go bold.  If things doesn't work out, he won't be the one doing rebuild anyway.  He is trying to savage this season an going for playoff.  But we lost 200+ points by adding back only 100, not enough in this league.  You need someone to play with Huberdeau, he got the cap space, and he needs to make another trade because I just don't see any free agents want to come to Calgary now given so much uncertainty.  

8 hours ago, LouCifer said:

I forget the number but if it's a high enough award Edmonton can walk..I believe it's higher than what JP will make tho..   because the player elected arbitration they can trade him tho .  In Tkachuks case the flames elected the arbitration so they would have been unable to trade him is my understanding..

5 hours ago, crazyflames said:

Keep in mind, we are still have some issues right now.  Players will think twice come to Calgary, so don't expect Kadri sign here.  He didn't want to come last time, why he wants to do it now?  It's pretty bad moment right now.  In addition, after hearing BT interview, I can sense he hasn't talk to Huberdeau or Weegar about contract yet.  There is a good amount probability they won't resign here either.  As I said, for the time being, I don't think many players want to play in Calgary right now given you just lost your two best players.  However I thank Matthew at least being honest to help out the organization at the end.

The block of the trade had nothing to do with not wanting to play in Calgary .he thought it would keep him in Toronto.. that's been explained many times ..  and to be honest this rhetoric from all the flames haters that " they won't resign in Calgary" is getting really old already just one day later lol.   BT said he had " spoken with the agents "   but didn't elaborate past that . Obviously signing them isn't an instant priority .  We have players for this season to worry about first. 

The interview with Chucky was good .. definitely handled it the right way.. aside from the fact he knew 3 years ago that this was going to be an option . But he did handle it all with class , gotta give him that . 

I don’t expect Kadri to be an option. Reports indicate he isn’t really interested in being here and it’s take a bad contract. I’ll pass. 
Flames biggest remaining need is a top 6 center. After that I think they need another LW. I would play Mang with Huberdeau and Lindholm so unless there is a good deal out there I’m not anxious in pursuing a RW. The free agents available that make sense to me:

Evan Rodriguez. Flames should be calling this guy a lot. Checks a lot of

boxes

Paul Statsny. On a 1 year deal he’d give the flames flexibility in their line and deployment. 
Sonny Milano. Not without warts but a wicked playmaker. I think the flames should take a flyer. 
Danton Heinen. Smart player, defense first and would improve their bottom 6. 

That’s pretty much it for me on free agency. Trades are an option but I don’t think it will be for a big fish like Barzal. I don’t think the flames can afford the trade cost nor the contract. 

13 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Of the remaining UFA’s here is my list, I would target:

Kadri: he is ideal, as he would give us depth down the middle, he can run a line, play in all situations. Sounds like he doesn’t want to come here and he will be expensive anyways.

Kessel: He still has some left in the tank. Doubtful he would come here, but he would be a good fit in the top 6.

Rodrigues: He had a bit of a breakout season, he is a good skater and would fit nicely in the middle 6.

Milano: He has high end skill, there is no doubt about that. Might not fit in Sutter’s system.

Steel: A bit of a reclamation project, former 1st round pick.

Sprong: A goal scorer hasn’t been able to stick, but a RHS RW.

I’d like to see a few more trades…BT seems to be a wizard at trades, I think if there is any truth to the calls asking about  JH it should be considered…maybe a contending team would offer a crazy price like we got for Chycky? 

Fla just made waves out east so, Stl, TB, Nas or Car may offer a lot for him…he’s an unbelievable player on a value contract, I’d say That’s worth looking into, maybe this is BT’s plan, grab attractive players with great value flip them for more players and picks etc… maybe do a

player flip rebuild 

9 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

I’d like to see a few more trades…BT seems to be a wizard at trades, I think if there is any truth to the calls asking about  JH it should be considered…maybe a contending team would offer a crazy price like we got for Chycky? 

Fla just made waves out east so, Stl, TB, Nas or Car may offer a lot for him…he’s an unbelievable player on a value contract, I’d say That’s worth looking into, maybe this is BT’s plan, grab attractive players with great value flip them for more players and picks etc… maybe do a

player flip rebuild 

We know BT took the best offer on the table " and it wasn't close".   Why would the flip return on Huberdeau be any better ? 

I figure we just added arguably the best LW in the game .. yes work on the extension.. if he's still unsigned by TDL then assess where the season is at and act accordingly.. 

8 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Really! I have never once heard anyone pro analyst or Fans talk about Barzal as a Unicorn player in the NHL…

he meh be a superstar, and cost a fair bit but i Don’t think there is a player besides McKinnon and McDavid that would get as much as we got for Chucky…

as for Barzal, do you think he’d get as much in trade as Hubie? Probably not, close but I’m betting Hubi’s value is close to Tachuck’s for 3 reasons..1. Value contract and 2. Tied for 2nd in the NHL coring last year and 3. He’s career Pts average is right on a PPG average (impressive considering Fla was a horrible team for most of those years) 

Barzal on the other hand is great and all but is also coming off a down year.  I think he could be had for a reasonable price.