2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

You would have to think converations were had with Huberdeau and Weeger about extentiosn before the even thought about this move. It makes no sense that you do a trade like this not to lock them up its crazy. They may be worth a lot flipped out but jeesh whats the point. 

1 minute ago, The_Snowbear said:

even if they both walk not saying they will but they still have a draft pick and a player aswell now i got now doubt being canadians they will be easier to sign

It comes down to $$, but we don't have big committments next year.

I hope next season is a good UFA year.

No rebuild for us.

Up next Kadri?

Trade Lucic and Monahan?

There's certainly a level of risk here, no question.

When I saw FLA, I thought it'd be Reinhart, which felt meh.

This feels like a shorter term deal. In the immediacy, the Flames should be a playoff team.

But Brad has gotta get to work on extensions for these two players

• Like 1

This is certainly making the most of a bad situation.  Think this puts the flames back in the division conversation I think. 

but it is a curious direction. I’m not shocked as you know the org wants to compete o just didn’t think they’d move Tkachuk and get older. Guess we’ll see what happens and if both these players stay. But this is certainly more talent than k thought they’d get for him. 

• Like 2

Just now, robrob74 said:

I think it's great. I get Tkachuk was an RFA. But like the two Guys we get, he was UFA next year. Flames got out way ahead. We buy a chance to compete again when we probably wouldn't have considering. 

Hooby had some trade protection. He either waived or wasn't opposed to Calgary. That's a really good sign. He was born the same year as Johnny, so there should be no fear about an extension

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I'm actually pretty surprised they'd deal huberdeau as he's such a large part of their offence. 

Oh absolutely. I thought he would be getting a big extension next to Barkov.

I like Huberdeau's game aging better than Tkachuk and Tkachuk was one of my favourite players.

They just need to get this deal done

Just now, robrob74 said:

Do we have cash for Kadri?

You have to think with Weeger coming in someone is leaving on the back end. I don't think Kadri is on the radar anymore unless you move Monahan and Lucic. I could see us adding a Rodrguis now for depth

• Like 1

Ok F it. I won’t wait until tomorrow. I’m shooting from the hip here. 

- We lost Johnny for nothing, and then BT traded Chucky for Johnny’s replacement. Wow. 115 points out and 115 points back in. 

- I’m a Weager fan. I’ve suggested targeting him before. 

- I know sweet F all about the prospect. Someone tell me he’s good. Pleeeease. 

- A 2025 first? I know it’s all they had. Their 2023 and 2024 are already gone. 

Concerns:

- The elephant in the room is that Weager and Hubie are close to 30, and they’re both UFAs after this season. A contract hasn’t been worked out in advance like Chucky’s agent was able to do with FLA. 

- I also note that Hubie and Weager don’t generate too many points in the playoffs… I don’t like that. 

- I do note 2 important things: Looch and Mony’s contracts expire this year as well. That’s $11M freeing up to sign Hubie and Weager, or, if we can’t sign them for whatever reason, we do have 2 players that could net us some large 2023 draft and prospect returns at the trade deadline. And they’re both on fantastic contracts that would be easy to move at the TDL. I see BT has given himself some options with what he could do with these players. He’s not going to get suckered like with Gaudreau and Chucky again. 

I also love that Chucky doesn’t get to play with Hubie now haha. 

BT sure did something BIG. Something none of us could predict. I was really really hoping for and liking some of the trade proposals with NJ. It would’ve given us a great start towards being a perennial contender. 

Lastly, some speculation on my part. 
- BT clearly isn’t going the rebuild route.
- So, If BT can move Monahan now… Kadri may be a real possibility. Because we STILL NEED another C to compete. 
- I also have a sneaking suspicion that Barzal is a target for BT. It would take a lot, but man he would look great in red. 

• Like 1