2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

4 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

We know BT took the best offer on the table " and it wasn't close".   Why would the flip return on Huberdeau be any better ? 

I figure we just added arguably the best LW in the game .. yes work on the extension.. if he's still unsigned by TDL then assess where the season is at and act accordingly.. 

I just explained that in a post below…but since you bring this up, on a side note, here is how I see this Hubie deal…

first BT lied when he said you can’t replace Gaudreau…well he not only replaced but upgraded him! If BT wants to make those kinda lies to the fans he can lie to us all day long lol! 

not the issue is replacing Tachuck, he’s a player you really can’t replace at all he’s unique…or as some say a unicorn type, only way you replace that is with a generational type talent like McKinnon or

McDavid…and no way that’s happening but Tachuck is a huge hole for us to

fill, not only that but it’s a hole on the RW where we are very thin to start.  I’m a fan of Toffoil as a 2nd line RW but with his age and fact is he’s never really excelled at 1st line duty, I’m not comfortable with the garaging hole at RW and it to be addressed.  Coleman is fantastic right where he is on the 3rd…sure he’s an expensive 3rd liner but that’s the price to pay, we have seen how badly a team can do without having top tier 3rd liners.

I’m quite happy having Hubie but if the offers on him are as high as I think they may be, it’s something they need to consider.

I’d say at this point, the key is yes absolutely try and get Hubie signed, but it’s gonna be $$$$ and keep in mind he’s 30 this year that’s something else to consider. But definitely the main priority for BT is get him And Manji and our new D signed and also Kylington signed.

after that I think if there are any truths to the NYI rumours with Monahan and Barzal I think that needs to be explored. It would sure up the Ctr position nice at 1 and 2 and we could also possibly move Backlund for a lower cost and younger 3rd line Ctr or maybe bring Ruzi up or

some like that…then work on that top line RW hole…2nd we got Toffoil, 3rd Dube or Coleman are perfect options, 4th is Lewis for another year or a prospect so

thats not much of an issue either. LW is

fine with Hubie, Manji (hopefully), Coleman or Dube and Lucic.  Again I think an upgrade/change at Ctr is something that should be addressed and then that top line RW hole…but definitely addressing the Ctr slot should help mitigate the RW issue, short term till we can find a solid top

line RW.

33 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

I just explained that in a post below…but since you bring this up, on a side note, here is how I see this Hubie deal…

first BT lied when he said you can’t replace Gaudreau…well he not only replaced but upgraded him! If BT wants to make those kinda lies to the fans he can lie to us all day long lol! 

not the issue is replacing Tachuck, he’s a player you really can’t replace at all he’s unique…or as some say a unicorn type, only way you replace that is with a generational type talent like McKinnon or

McDavid…and no way that’s happening but Tachuck is a huge hole for us to

fill, not only that but it’s a hole on the RW where we are very thin to start.  I’m a fan of Toffoil as a 2nd line RW but with his age and fact is he’s never really excelled at 1st line duty, I’m not comfortable with the garaging hole at RW and it to be addressed.  Coleman is fantastic right where he is on the 3rd…sure he’s an expensive 3rd liner but that’s the price to pay, we have seen how badly a team can do without having top tier 3rd liners.

I’m quite happy having Hubie but if the offers on him are as high as I think they may be, it’s something they need to consider.

I’d say at this point, the key is yes absolutely try and get Hubie signed, but it’s gonna be $$$$ and keep in mind he’s 30 this year that’s something else to consider. But definitely the main priority for BT is get him And Manji and our new D signed and also Kylington signed.

after that I think if there are any truths to the NYI rumours with Monahan and Barzal I think that needs to be explored. It would sure up the Ctr position nice at 1 and 2 and we could also possibly move Backlund for a lower cost and younger 3rd line Ctr or maybe bring Ruzi up or

some like that…then work on that top line RW hole…2nd we got Toffoil, 3rd Dube or Coleman are perfect options, 4th is Lewis for another year or a prospect so

thats not much of an issue either. LW is

fine with Hubie, Manji (hopefully), Coleman or Dube and Lucic.  Again I think an upgrade/change at Ctr is something that should be addressed and then that top line RW hole…but definitely addressing the Ctr slot should help mitigate the RW issue, short term till we can find a solid top

line RW.

All very good points ..  I do agree I'd love to have Barzal.. just keep in the mind he's in the same boat.. final year of his deal, granted he's RFA, but it takes a QO of $10m just to qualify him.. but he is worth it I agree .

I laugh when people bring in Huberdeau's age . He's the same age as Johnny by 2 months..but nobody brought up his age when we were offering $10.5x8

Currently I view the trade as this ..

We gave up one year of Tkachuk..  for one-year of Huberdeau and Weegert.. going into a season where were trying to improve on a division winning season where we were betting favourites to make the final.. we're arguably a better team right at this moment than the last game we played ..right now we are already assured of icing a team that can run it back without excuses 

Resigning Huberdeau alone changes this from a win , to a fleecing with a xxx rating sign them both and Zitos not Walking for a week.

For me the only way I trade him unsigned is if at TDL we're disappointing..or if we find out right now he has no intention 

But in terms of Barzal, it will likely take more than Monahan.. but we do also have a glut of young D that could be weaponized..even Dube seems like a Lou type of player . 

I shouid add too.. by no means does losing tkachuk not lessen the right side.. but I think Mange on that side could fill in better than people think.. my original concern was we needed a playmaker on that line to feed Lindholm his happy place shots .but Huberdeau just fixed that..  he's an agitator like Chucky.. he does the dirty corner work and net front like Chucky..and he's a finisher like Chucky.. I think he'd get 40 too 

10 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

So I've got  question.

Am I correct in thinking that Huberdeau/Weegar are only eligible for 7yr deals with the Flames this summer because they weren't on the Flames reserve list at the TDL?

Then when next season starts they would then be eligible for 8yrs?

That's the Info I'm finding as well.. 

• Like 1

I just saw the best take on this trade..

If the return had been Weeger, the 1st and the B Prospect..  it would have been an "ok" deal..  we get a top pair D ..a prospect who projects as a 3/4c and a 1st that we likely will end up including in another deal somehwere so it's value could increase .

The fact we also got Johnny's replacement/upgrade as well is what's blowing people's minds 

If we had traded Johnnys rights and tkachuk for the same return people wouid have still seen it as a good deal 

• Like 1

Flames currently have 9 D signed plus Kylington RFA looking for extension. Hanifin, Andersson, Tanev, Weegar and Zadorov are all locks. Valimaki, Mackey, Gilbert, Meloche and Kylington would all be waiver eligible. Gilbert likely clears waivers, but would any of the others? Likely need to trade at least 1, if not 2 due to this fact. At least 1, likely two of Kylington/Valimaki/Mackey. Meloche looks like a reasonable 7th D, so only 1 spot for the other 3.

Flames have 9 forwards signed, meaning they need 4 more. Here Mangiapane is the big fish needing a contract extension, likely in the 5-6 mil range, but they also need to re-sign Ruzicka and Pospisil who, along with Phillips, are all waiver eligible. Pospisil likely clears, and Phillips may clear due to size, but I doubt Ruzicka clears waivers.

At 5’7, I don’t think Phillips has the size to play C at the NHL level. Contested face offs he would get obliterated for example. As a RH shot likely need to move him to RW. Ruzicka is either C or RW though shoots left.

Pelletier had a good year in Stockton, but being waiver eligible likely means he plays another year in the AHL. Schwindt (prospect acquired from Florida) is a RS C/RW who has lesser offence than Phillips or Pelletier but better than Ruzicka. He is also younger and waiver exempt so likely in the AHL for another year.

So on LW Huberdeau, Mangiapane, Dube, Coleman, Lucic

RW Toffoli, Mangiapane, Coleman, Lewis, Phillips, Ruzicka

C Lindholm, Backlund, Ruzicka, Monahan, Rooney

LD Hanifin, Kylington, Zadorov, Mackey, Valimaki, Gilbert

RD Andersson, Weegar, Tanev, Meloche 

I think the team needs to trade Monahan and 2 D and need to get either a top 6 C or RW. Ruzicka will be middle 6 C or RW depending on which piece is obtained. They have the cap space to extend all of Huberdeau, Weegar, Mangiapane and Ruzicka plus go out and get a C/RW.

Trading both Kylington and Valimaki puts Mackey as bottom pair LD, Trading Mackey and Valimaki allows cap to re-sign Kylington, Trading Kylington and Mackey makes Valimaki 3rd pair LD. Whichever way you go, cap space works.

Still a bit of work to do for Treliving, but the team doesn’t look in such dire straits as a few days ago.

Lots of good points guys. The conversation is good 😊 A couple of points from me. 

- Thanks for clarifying the Pool party situation. I highly doubt Edmonton trades him to us. But, if they view him as poorly as their fan base, they may see trading him to us as “throwing us an anchor”. Interested to see how this plays out. 

- The Kane point is interesting. SJ has only $2M in cap space. I’m not sure what happens if he’s “sent back” to SJ. They also still have RFAs to sign. This doesn’t bode well for the amount of cap SJ can retain to trade Kane back to EDM. And we all know EDM has only $68k in cap space currently. This is going to be entertaining to say the least! 

- Kadri. I was pretty outspoken about not wanting him here when we were trying to trade for him out of Toronto. I’m not connected to anyone in the hockey world, but I did know people that were associated with Kadri and his extra curriculars. I don’t argue he has talent, and perhaps he’s matured since then 😜. A couple of things I can’t help but recognize is that in Kadri you get the “edge”, you get some talent and speed, you get the agitator factor, and you get faceoffs and points and someone who’s actually involved in the defensive side of the game. You also get another Stanley cup winner who played with a broken thumb and stepped up come playoff time. He’s not my ideal acquisition because I fear the salary and term, and I would much prefer Barzal if that’s an option. But again, if you look at it this way, we lost Gaudreau + Chucky. Doesn’t Huberdeau + Kadri bring at least the same combination of talent and “intangibles” that we lost? I’d even argue because Kadri is a C, and we badly need a 2C, he’d really be an ideal fit for the “win now” mentality the flames organization has. Honestly, the max I’d offer Kadri is $6M x 5, and that likely doesn’t get him, but anything above that to me makes no sense for the team moving forward. 

- I still believe Dvorak can be had for relatively cheap out of MTL. They need some cap space and Dvorak has been pushed down to 3C. Again, I’d be exploring that if I was BT. It cost MTL Carolina’s first rounder and a third rounder to get him. I could see MTL taking Valimaki to replace the departure of Romanov for Dvorak. It’ll free up MTL’s cap and give them $3M to help sign Kirby Dach. With Dvorak in the fold, we may have our eventual Backlund replacement, and, Dvorak’s salary and age won’t impact or impede us trying to sign Hubie and Weegs. Dvorak could also be a key piece to flip to NYI in a Barzal trade. It gets NYI away from Barzal’s $10M qualifying offer, and gives them a C back in Dvorak that is young and has term. If NYI wants Monahan with Dvorak, they can take him and they can evaluate Mony for his next contract. Barzal is a BC boy so I think he’d welcome a trade to Calgary and sign with us. It also helps that he was a flames fan in his younger years and loved Iggy. I think there could be smoke to this fire. 🔥

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

So I've got  question.

Am I correct in thinking that Huberdeau/Weegar are only eligible for 7yr deals with the Flames this summer because they weren't on the Flames reserve list at the TDL?

Then when next season starts they would then be eligible for 8yrs?

Not sure I’d want both Weegar and Huberdeau locked up to 7 yr deals. Huberdeau x 7yrs is something BT has to do or trade him. Weegar I’d prefer on a 5yr deal max. If we can’t extend Huberdeau then I could see teams like Montreal sending a serious haul for his services if we end up moving him. 

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

All very good points ..  I do agree I'd love to have Barzal.. just keep in the mind he's in the same boat.. final year of his deal, granted he's RFA, but it takes a QO of $10m just to qualify him.. but he is worth it I agree .

I laugh when people bring in Huberdeau's age . He's the same age as Johnny by 2 months..but nobody brought up his age when we were offering $10.5x8

Currently I view the trade as this ..

We gave up one year of Tkachuk..  for one-year of Huberdeau and Weegert.. going into a season where were trying to improve on a division winning season where we were betting favourites to make the final.. we're arguably a better team right at this moment than the last game we played ..right now we are already assured of icing a team that can run it back without excuses 

Resigning Huberdeau alone changes this from a win , to a fleecing with a xxx rating sign them both and Zitos not Walking for a week.

For me the only way I trade him unsigned is if at TDL we're disappointing..or if we find out right now he has no intention 

But in terms of Barzal, it will likely take more than Monahan.. but we do also have a glut of young D that could be weaponized..even Dube seems like a Lou type of player . 

I shouid add too.. by no means does losing tkachuk not lessen the right side.. but I think Mange on that side could fill in better than people think.. my original concern was we needed a playmaker on that line to feed Lindholm his happy place shots .but Huberdeau just fixed that..  he's an agitator like Chucky.. he does the dirty corner work and net front like Chucky..and he's a finisher like Chucky.. I think he'd get 40 too 

Forget about Monahan, if we could move him, we have already done so.  

2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

A small point here, and it only makes a bit of difference. But Huberdeau does not turn 30 this year. He just turned 29 on June 4th.

13 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

I think the team needs to trade Monahan and 2 D and need to get either a top 6 C or RW. Ruzicka will be middle 6 C or RW depending on which piece is obtained. They have the cap space to extend all of Huberdeau, Weegar, Mangiapane and Ruzicka plus go out and get a C/RW.

Trading both Kylington and Valimaki puts Mackey as bottom pair LD, Trading Mackey and Valimaki allows cap to re-sign Kylington, Trading Kylington and Mackey makes Valimaki 3rd pair LD. Whichever way you go, cap space works.

Still a bit of work to do for Treliving, but the team doesn’t look in such dire straits as a few days ago.

We have to consider more than just a few things.

Pelletier and Ruzicka are middle 6 or more accurately 3rd liners.

Rozie has only ever player C and looked out of place on LW.

Pelletier is likely too good to play in the AHL this year.

Monahan and Lucic are luxuries we don't need this year.

Monahan is not a top 9 player anymore on this team.

Lucic is awesome at hitting (one big hit per game) and is best fighter in the league perhaps.

We don't need that protection as much now.

Tkachuk used to cause some of those fights and anyone touching JH needed a tune up.

We don't really have a spot on this team for Phillips when we are healthy.

He's like Yamamoto, without NHL experience.

Both players too small to take hits.

Both players are driven to be near the net.

We are not balanced yet at forward.

Have one top 6 RW and Mange to possibly play there.

Backlund is a great defensive C, but doesn't add a lot of scoring, and we can't play Mangiapane with him now.

3rd ine consists of Dube.

Monahan is currently broken.

4th line consists of Gilbert and Rooney and a player fighting to keep up.

We have to sign a C or a really good RW.

A C pushes down Backlund to create a 2nd scoring line, but we still lack a true RW.

The D situation is rags to riches.

A top LD/RD like Weeger.

A top RD in Ras and a possible top LD or 2nd pair LD in Hanifin.

A 2nd pairing puck mover in Kyl, but seems to be discounted as low value asset.

And not good enought o play 2nd pair even though he put up 9 goals and 31 points.

Rock steady Tanev.

Mean motha Zaddy, who has his mements and is brutal to play against at times.

Meloche who I admit knowing little about, but I thought he was okay in seeing him play.

Valimaki, who hasn't hit his stride in the NHL and rough season in the AHL.

Mackey, who had an incredible AHL season, but only looked serviceable in the NHL so far.

Gilbert, who is a tweener.

If we want a C not named Barzal, we have to consider moving Valimaki and Dube.

We could sign Rodrigues to fill the void or use him as a winger.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We have to consider more than just a few things.

Pelletier and Ruzicka are middle 6 or more accurately 3rd liners.

Rozie has only ever player C and looked out of place on LW.

Pelletier is likely too good to play in the AHL this year.

Monahan and Lucic are luxuries we don't need this year.

Monahan is not a top 9 player anymore on this team.

Lucic is awesome at hitting (one big hit per game) and is best fighter in the league perhaps.

We don't need that protection as much now.

Tkachuk used to cause some of those fights and anyone touching JH needed a tune up.

We don't really have a spot on this team for Phillips when we are healthy.

He's like Yamamoto, without NHL experience.

Both players too small to take hits.

Both players are driven to be near the net.

We are not balanced yet at forward.

Have one top 6 RW and Mange to possibly play there.

Backlund is a great defensive C, but doesn't add a lot of scoring, and we can't play Mangiapane with him now.

3rd ine consists of Dube.

Monahan is currently broken.

4th line consists of Gilbert and Rooney and a player fighting to keep up.

We have to sign a C or a really good RW.

A C pushes down Backlund to create a 2nd scoring line, but we still lack a true RW.

The D situation is rags to riches.

A top LD/RD like Weeger.

A top RD in Ras and a possible top LD or 2nd pair LD in Hanifin.

A 2nd pairing puck mover in Kyl, but seems to be discounted as low value asset.

And not good enought o play 2nd pair even though he put up 9 goals and 31 points.

Rock steady Tanev.

Mean motha Zaddy, who has his mements and is brutal to play against at times.

Meloche who I admit knowing little about, but I thought he was okay in seeing him play.

Valimaki, who hasn't hit his stride in the NHL and rough season in the AHL.

Mackey, who had an incredible AHL season, but only looked serviceable in the NHL so far.

Gilbert, who is a tweener.

If we want a C not named Barzal, we have to consider moving Valimaki and Dube.

We could sign Rodrigues to fill the void or use him as a winger.

Agree, we had good top 6 for now, not great, but good.  However our bottom 2 lines are still horrible or worse than last year.  Little bit too rich on defense and we can't afford it in longer term.  So it make sense to trade some D to upgrade Top 6 or 3rd line.  Between the 2, I rather BT upgrade Top 6 and go for it this year.  Go big or go home.

Oh now that the Tachuck and Gaudreau drama is over…looking at the team now, I’m thinking Kadri could be a good fit, seems a smart offer would be a 2-3 year deal for him, cause he could

still land a under 35 contract after it’s done…seems like something that could be attractive for him and also a good thing for Cgy to not  get locked up into high priced players over 35 

9 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Oh now that the Tachuck and Gaudreau drama is over…looking at the team now, I’m thinking Kadri could be a good fit, seems a smart offer would be a 2-3 year deal for him, cause he could

still land a under 35 contract after it’s done…seems like something that could be attractive for him and also a good thing for Cgy to not  get locked up into high priced players over 35 

I would be inquiring with MTL about Dvorak.

They seem to lack D, so maybe Valimaki gets the talk started.

1 hour ago, crazyflames said:

Forget about Monahan, if we could move him, we have already done so.  

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

Remember hes still rehabbing an injury..teams may want to see the final report on that 

In addition to coming off surgery, he’s now in the final year of his contract. Actual dollars paid is $6M (not $6.375 like his cap) and he has a modified NTC where he can choose 10 teams NOT to get traded to. When does Mony have to provide his 10 team no trade list? I would hope BT already has it, and I’m sure CBJ is no longer on it 😂

1 minute ago, LouCifer said:

In addition to coming off surgery, he’s now in the final year of his contract. Actual dollars paid is $6M (not $6.375 like his cap) and he has a modified NTC where he can choose 10 teams NOT to get traded to. When does Mony have to provide his 10 team no trade list? I would hope BT already has it, and I’m sure CBJ is no longer on it 😂

I believe since the Vegas-kings debacle they all have to submit at the start of the contract year 

23 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would be inquiring with MTL about Dvorak.

They seem to lack D, so maybe Valimaki gets the talk started.

That’s exactly what I’m saying TD! 

They paid a 1st and 3rd (Carolina’s - so we’re not talking top-10 picks here) to ARI for Dvorak. They gave away their D prospect Romanov to NYI to land Dach from CHI. Valimaki was selected 16th OA. He replaces Romanov, and frees up MTL’s cap to sign Dach. MTL also currently only has 6D signed (2 are ELCs) so I think with the number of defensemen we have, and Stone waiting in the background, there’s a deal to be had here. 

Get it done BT! 

Edit:

I wanted to add that we should NOT be trading Kylington. We have a great top 6 right now, plus D depth. Trade Valimaki. Bring back Stone. 

12 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

That’s exactly what I’m saying TD! 

They paid a 1st and 3rd (Carolina’s - so we’re not talking top-10 picks here) to ARI for Dvorak. They gave away their D prospect Romanov to NYI to land Dach from CHI. Valimaki was selected 16th OA. He replaces Romanov, and frees up MTL’s cap to sign Dach. 

Get it done BT! 

Edit:

I wanted to add that we should NOT be trading Kylington. We have a great top 6 right now, plus D depth. Trade Valimaki. Bring back Stone. 

Don't really need Stone now and yes, he could still sign here and get waived.

Have a couple other guys as it is.

MTL is going nowhere right now.

If they wanted to, we could take on Hoffman and Dvorak for Valimaki and Lucic at 50% cap.

Fans would love him.

He's there to protect the kids.

They have nobody tough left other than Josh, who really needs to avoid fighting.

Pezetta?  He gets ragdolled.

Yes, it's a hard sell to Lucic.

It's a cap dump for MTL and getting out of multi year contracts.

Just reading through Jeremy Rutherford's article on the Athletic.

Some takeaways

• It came down to FLA, CAR and STL
  • The offer from the Blues was Tarasenko, Scandella and a "high draft pick"
  • The Flames weren't interested in Tarasenko and it never got to the point where he would be asked to waive his NTC
  • Necas was in the CAR offer

Pretty clear the Panther offer was by far the best.

Just now, Thebrewcrew said:

Just reading through Jeremy Rutherford's article on the Athletic.

Some takeaways

• It came down to FLA, CAR and STL
  • The offer from the Blues was Tarasenko, Scandella and a "high draft pick"
  • The Flames weren't interested in Tarasenko and it never got to the point where he would be asked to waive his NTC
  • Necas was in the CAR offer

Pretty clear the Panther offer was by far the best.

I was just coming to post the same thing.

I agree that the return we got was by far the best. That St. Louis offer was horrendous. Necas is a good start for Carolina. I wonder if we could still get Necas from Carolina.

The more I see chuckys comments in his message to Calgary, and as well as his comments in his Florida interview they had, the more I think his biggest reasons for leaving was he was an outsider ...  He mentions the fans , the organization, the city .but only briefly mentions teammates ..  in his Fla one he just briefly stated " on ice and off ice this was a better fit ." ..  i still find it very odd that he was on vacation when Monahan got married .. half the team was there ..he obviously wasn't invited .. you just don't miss your best buddies wedding . So it's apparent he didn't hang out with teammates..tbh when he was here I think he and Bennett may have been the closest 

Add to that he's a young guy, and Johnny and them are family guys now..  what does Calgary even have for young kids night life anymore these days? Back alley?  Ranchmans is gone and he doesn't really strike me as the country music type anyway.. 

One of the reasons he gave for Florida was the team was full of young middle 20s players.. 

I don't known if he was dating anybody here but i think his biggest issue may have been exactly that.. he had not much of a social life outside the ice and not many close friends on it 

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I was just coming to post the same thing.

I agree that the return we got was by far the best. That St. Louis offer was horrendous. Necas is a good start for Carolina. I wonder if we could still get Necas from Carolina.

It appears the Blues refusal to include Kyrou was correct. I don't think that offer ever had a shot at getting Tkachuk and Tarasneko and Scandella both would have had to waive.

Doubt we'll ever know, but really wonder what else was in the Carolina offer. They'd have needed to move 5-6m to sign Tkachuk to 9.5. Maybe it was Teravainen

3 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It appears the Blues refusal to include Kyrou was correct. I don't think that offer ever had a shot at getting Tkachuk and Tarasneko and Scandella both would have had to waive.

Doubt we'll ever know, but really wonder what else was in the Carolina offer. They'd have needed to move 5-6m to sign Tkachuk to 9.5. Maybe it was Teravainen

Probably Teravainen or Skjei.

6 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

The more I see chuckys comments in his message to Calgary, and as well as his comments in his Florida interview they had, the more I think his biggest reasons for leaving was he was an outsider ...  He mentions the fans , the organization, the city .but only briefly mentions teammates ..  in his Fla one he just briefly stated " on ice and off ice this was a better fit ." ..  i still find it very odd that he was on vacation when Monahan got married .. half the team was there ..he obviously wasn't invited .. you just don't miss your best buddies wedding . So it's apparent he didn't hang out with teammates..tbh when he was here I think he and Bennett may have been the closest 

Add to that he's a young guy, and Johnny and them are family guys now..  what does Calgary even have for young kids night life anymore these days? Back alley?  Ranchmans is gone and he doesn't really strike me as the country music type anyway.. 

One of the reasons he gave for Florida was the team was full of young middle 20s players.. 

I don't known if he was dating anybody here but i think his biggest issue may have been exactly that.. he had not much of a social life outside the ice and not many close friends on it 

It's hard for us to speculate on the outside, but it does make some sense.

Could be wrong, but I believe Coleman and Gudbranson were at Monahan's wedding. They've known him for a year. Tkachuk has been on the team for 6yrs. 

Again, we don't know from the outside, but you make a good point.

I do think this has been building for a while though. When the rumours of him wanting a trade leaked last year, that wasn't an accident