2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

22 minutes ago, sak22 said:

You say that now, but when the return is Jesper Bratt and a lotto protected 2024 1st, you'll have a different reaction.

20 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya that's a brutal trade if that's all BT can get.  There has to be a better offer out there than that though.  Just Kyrou straight across is already better.

I think the discussion was something like starting with Bratt and a 1st.

Debbies would prefer to keep Bratt and Hughes.

I think if it comes down to it, they know they have to outbid.

Hischier + 1st.

Realistically, it's a >10th overall pick.

Possibly as bad as 20's.

We get that offer and call it a day.

Maybe they toss in Severson, since he's likely just a TDL trade.

If so, then we have a trade piece or a better 2nd pairing D.

Re-sign him immediately or trade him at TDL.

55 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya I'd be okay with Nemec as well.  If we rebuild then start from the backend out.  But Tkachuk is a superstar 40G 100pt guy now so we should expect more than just Nemec.  I would want Mercer too.  Holtz would be a dream as he has 1st line potential.

I have a hard time seeing them getting both Nemec and Mercer. That's a pretty wild return. 

I just noticed that after they acquired Marino the Devils have 3 RS in Hamilton, Severson and Marion so Nemec would be 4. Now Severson is a FA next year but he wears an A and is honestly really good so trading him feels like the wrong move for a team wanting to win now. Again if there is truth they offered the 2OA pick for Tkachuk i'm sure they were told "not now we want to sign them both" but perhaps they've kept at it.

Bit of reading between the lines but perhaps there is something there. Kind of aligns. 

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Boy I hope it's not an 11th hour trade.  Earlier we do this the more teams can make a legit offer.

I don't think it will be as Flames won't want it to drag on that long I don't think. I can imagine they want this done as soon as they can, just without sacrificing the return. 

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Well here are the odds on where Tkachuk ends up.

If the goal is to maximize the talent return then New Jersey is really the best bet. Motivated team, cap room to do things and they have enough names i'm intrigued by that would likely give you a good return. Plus with their goalie and coaching situation it's not a sure thing that even with Tkachuk they'd be in the playoffs so could be some sneaky upside on a 1st rounder if it was in there. 

Blues likely give you the best piece in Kyrou but think Devils have give you 2-3 really promising pieces. 

As nice as it would be to prioritize center position in a Tkachuk trade I think it's going to be hard to do. 

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

If the goal is to maximize the talent return then New Jersey is really the best bet. Motivated team, cap room to do things and they have enough names i'm intrigued by that would likely give you a good return. Plus with their goalie and coaching situation it's not a sure thing that even with Tkachuk they'd be in the playoffs so could be some sneaky upside on a 1st rounder if it was in there. 

Blues likely give you the best piece in Kyrou but think Devils have give you 2-3 really promising pieces. 

As nice as it would be to prioritize center position in a Tkachuk trade I think it's going to be hard to do. 

I have been thinking about the sign and trade option.  August 11th is coming soon.  It perhaps makes him more marketable to more teams, if they do it for a reasonable deal.  But I don't know why Tkachuk would want to do that.  Could end up in Buffalo for 8 years.  

Thoughts?

42 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya that's a brutal trade if that's all BT can get.  There has to be a better offer out there than that though.  Just Kyrou straight across is already better.

Yeah, deep down I think it will be better, but I also need to brace myself to be disappointed as these things rarely work out how you'd like them to.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, taz89 said:

Isn't VG known to just swoop in at the last second? They always seem to come in and make an offer the other team can't refuse.  Eichel? Peterangelo?  I would not rule them out, just saying...

They normally are the first in and last out in the trades they win.  Buffalo waited them out and got what they wanted out of Vegas.  Ottawa made a choice in the Stone package.  

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I have been thinking about the sign and trade option.  August 11th is coming soon.  It perhaps makes him more marketable to more teams, if they do it for a reasonable deal.  But I don't know why Tkachuk would want to do that.  Could end up in Buffalo for 8 years.  

Thoughts?

I'm not sure what the question is?

I think there should be mutual interest between the Flames and Tkachuk to find the right trade partner. He would know where he is going before he puts pen to paper. 

36 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I have a hard time seeing them getting both Nemec and Mercer. That's a pretty wild return. 

I just noticed that after they acquired Marino the Devils have 3 RS in Hamilton, Severson and Marion so Nemec would be 4. Now Severson is a FA next year but he wears an A and is honestly really good so trading him feels like the wrong move for a team wanting to win now. Again if there is truth they offered the 2OA pick for Tkachuk i'm sure they were told "not now we want to sign them both" but perhaps they've kept at it.

Bit of reading between the lines but perhaps there is something there. Kind of aligns. 

Ya they seem to have too many RD and short on LD.  Mukhamadullin is also a RD prospect.  It could be true Nemec could be had.  After Graves and Luke Hughes, maybe they would want Kylington so they can build a trade that begins with:

To NJ,

Tkachuk

Kylington

To Flames,

Nemec

2023 1st round pick unprotected or Mercer 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

I'm not sure what the question is?

I think there should be mutual interest between the Flames and Tkachuk to find the right trade partner. He would know where he is going before he puts pen to paper. 

Was just asking if sign and trade was an option.  If he gets to the 11th without a deal in place, then he has a one year deal.  Is that really ideal for him?

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Was just asking if sign and trade was an option.  If he gets to the 11th without a deal in place, then he has a one year deal.  Is that really ideal for him?

I don't think this is going to make it to the 11th. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We haven't talked about the Press much... But for good reason.  There's not a whole lot there.  Hope we don't trade with the Preds.

I actually don’t mind the Preds as a trade partner. I am a fan of Tomasino though. I also think Cody Glass could still turn it around.

They also have Askarov, Kemell and Evangelista as high end prospects.

Granlund, Sissons, Ekholm or Fabbro could all be used as salary dumps.

19 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I actually don’t mind the Preds as a trade partner. I am a fan of Tomasino though. I also think Cody Glass could still turn it around.

Heard this one mentioned:

Johansen, Jeannot, Askarov/Ingram, and their 2023 first-round pick

I don't get the Ingram vs Askarov option though.

One of these two is not like the other.

Wolf had far superior number to Ingram in the AHL.

Not sure I like the Johansen add.  He's turning 30 and is paid $8M.

It sounds more like a cap dump.

I also have to wonder if Jeannot is a flash in the pan.

25 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Heard this one mentioned:

Johansen, Jeannot, Askarov/Ingram, and their 2023 first-round pick

I don't get the Ingram vs Askarov option though.

One of these two is not like the other.

Wolf had far superior number to Ingram in the AHL.

Not sure I like the Johansen add.  He's turning 30 and is paid $8M.

It sounds more like a cap dump.

I also have to wonder if Jeannot is a flash in the pan.

I like Jeannot

I like Askarov

I like Fabbro

I like the 2023 1st round pick

I don't like taking Johansen as a cap dump.  $8-mil x 3 is a killer for 3-years.  Duchene $8-mil x 4 is even worse.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I like Jeannot

I like Askarov

I like Fabbro

I like the 2023 1st round pick

I don't like taking Johansen as a cap dump.  $8-mil x 3 is a killer for 3-years.  Duchene $8-mil x 4 is even worse.

The other choice would be Granlund (not the one we used to have LOL) + Fabbro.

Granlund is more of a playmaker so that might work out.

Mange-Lindy-Granlund

Jeannot-Backlund-Coleman

Pelletier-Rozie-Toffoli

4th line

Askarov would possibly replace Markstrom in 3 years.

But Marky has a full NMC for 4.

Not sure this is the best we can do to improve OUR team.

3 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

For what it's worth, I absolutely believe this to be the case.

Love.

It's a fair thing to say.

Came out of the the MJ Warriors and ECHL/AHL.

Had a decent 15 games to start his NHL career.

Breakout season last year.

Nothing in the 4 game sweep.

I'm not a huge fan of the Preds either and I feel like a trade with them would be light on upside. 

I'm lukewarm on Tomasino. I think he will be a good player but i'm not sure he's got too much upside. Feels like more of a middle 6 center. Not a horrible return if he is the center piece but just not an exciting one. 

I really like Fabbro as a player but Flames don't need a 24 year old RS dman who i think has shown us his full potential. He'd be their 3rd best RS dman. 

Jeannot seems like a fine player but he's depth IMO. Don't really want see the Flames prioritize depth here. 

Askarov would be a nice add as it's always nice to stack goaltending but as the primary piece for Tkachuk? Not a fan. 

I'm not a fan of Glass at all. Not a good enough skater. 

Prospect pool doesn't have much that jumps out. 

Preds are just full of a lot of meh to me. You could probably get 3-4 pieces our of them but I don't think it be exciting at all. 

34 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I wonder if Tkachuk would have any interest in Minnesota. Probably a long shot. They may have the deepest prospect pool in the league right now.

You know, it's funny, I keep thinking about that, too. I have to admit that I don't really get it, though... I have read reports that he wants to be "the guy" on a US team. Outside of Boston, New York (Rangers), Chicago, maybe Detroit or LA, I don't really get how it's much better than being "the guy" here. I realize that they're hockey crazy in Minnesota, too - but is it really that much better a place to live?

Love.

https://detroithockeynow.com/2022/07/21/detroit-red-wings-trade-matthew-tkachuk/

This article states the asking price for Tkachuk is a top forward, a premium prospect and a 1st.

He also mentions that he is hearing Robert Thomas as a potential offer. I doubt it, but St.Louis becomes my favourite target if he is available.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

https://detroithockeynow.com/2022/07/21/detroit-red-wings-trade-matthew-tkachuk/

This article states the asking price for Tkachuk is a top forward, a premium prospect and a 1st.

He also mentions that he is hearing Robert Thomas as a potential offer. I doubt it, but St.Louis becomes my favourite target if he is available.

Lindy and Thomas would be a solid one-two at center