2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

17 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Probably a good time to point out, "Gaudreau's wife doesn't have anyone here".

There is literally a show called "Hockey Wives".

They'll do tonnnns of charity work. Tons.

She won't be unbusy.lol

I'll go on record to say, "if he doesn't sign here, wow, are you ever dumb".

First off. Where are you going, nicer than Calgary? I've been to the US East Coast. Yeah whatever. 2nd, what do you think about the massive weight of expectation awaiting you there?

He's signing with us, I just won't understand if he doesn't.

The, "closer to home" thing is old. Go home, miss playoffs. Now how welcomed do you feel?

The only thing about that pic is that it shows how close Mony is with JH.

It's a tough situation.  

I recognize most there; JH, Mony, Bread, Coles.

Is that Guddy?

Other guy no idea.

50 minutes ago, sak22 said:

For what its worth this tweet was liked by Gaudreau's sister.  But also wouldn't expect any news today as I think the gathering is for Monahan's wedding.

Monahan's wedding?  Oh no when is that?  What if Gaudreau has been wanting all along to decline the Flames offer after the wedding so it's not awkward during it?

5 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

Really?   Cuz my personal feeling on offer sheet is if you sign one you're gone ..I don't care if it's matchable or not.. you just told the team you don't want to be here ..there's the door 

Exactly. 

• Like 1

This would be a good year for Calgary to sign an undrafted free agent, like Philly did a few years ago with Philippe Myers. They have invited a bunch of free agent kids to development camp. 

With the lack of draft picks this year, this would be another way to add to their prospect pool.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Probably a good time to point out, "Gaudreau's wife doesn't have anyone here".

There is literally a show called "Hockey Wives".

They'll do tonnnns of charity work. Tons.

She won't be unbusy.lol

I'll go on record to say, "if he doesn't sign here, wow, are you ever dumb".

First off. Where are you going, nicer than Calgary? I've been to the US East Coast. Yeah whatever. 2nd, what do you think about the massive weight of expectation awaiting you there?

He's signing with us, I just won't understand if he doesn't.

The, "closer to home" thing is old. Go home, miss playoffs. Now how welcomed do you feel?

No kidding... Just look at Blake Coleman.. 

Texas boy.. played for Tampa .his wife was literally a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader ..  they chose to come to where there's snow ..lol . Now she's a dentist in Calgary herself 

His parents got ragged hard on that Dallas series 

And Also... Ask Mike Vernon sometime.. he'll never trade in his time in Calgary obviously but he did say it was a big relief to play somewhwre else for that very reason .. when they didn't win his parents used to get ragged in the stands ..his summers he had to go somewhere else..

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

This would be a good year for Calgary to sign an undrafted free agent, like Philly did a few years ago with Philippe Myers. They have invited a bunch of free agent kids to development camp. 

With the lack of draft picks this year, this would be another way to add to their prospect pool.

Evan Boucher from the Mooseheads was invited.

Played his rookie year in H'fax.

25g and 15a in 37 games.

6' 200 pound C.

20 years old.

Late starter, but worth a look.

I haven't heard about any other invites, but just wasn't really looking.

EDIT:

Rhett Rhinehart

Jagger Joshua

Croix Kochendorfer

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Can't sign for the sake of signing.  These kids weren't drafted for a reason.  We get a second look at camp invite but that's about all it is.  We shouldn't expect much.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Can't sign for the sake of signing.  These kids weren't drafted for a reason.  We get a second look at camp invite but that's about all it is.  We shouldn't expect much.

i think JTech is saying there must be some good unsigned players out there that only need a chance. 

it’s tough to know. We had a few we signed who “were the best not in the NHL.” But I also wonder what they’d have looked like had they played for a team that was not just starting a rebuild. While there were a ton of opportunities they also lacked supporting casts to the supporting casts. 

we can use some help in some ways, this year would be good to find college guys that don’t have contracts. Maybe they should’ve gone hard after the guy the Canucks just signed? I think we still have a hole in the top six. There might be a few more of Johnny doesn’t sign. I get there is no gifting spots. 

is this the year a Mackey gets a chance or will he always be an AHL guy? We sign them but never get real NHL time. Is that scary for prospective players? 

The Deangelo deal and contract I think make it pretty unlikely that Philly can offer Gaudreau a deal. They’d have to clear probably 2-3 players and probably 12-13 mill plus. That’s seems very unlikely to do in a matter of days. 

I would agree that it's hard to see PHI being able to clear enough space. Reportedly, it's been difficult to get anyone interested in JVR. They'v got a lot of new money that kicks in this year, Farabee/Couturier/Ristolainen/Deangelo. They're 100k below the cap right now.

NYI media thinks they'll be in on Gaudreau. They have 11m and Dobson and Romanov to sign. The biggest issue for NYI is they've got so much term remaining among all 12 of their forwards, especially bottom six players. Ross Johnston has 4yrs and Cizikas has 5. Not exactly easy to move bottom six guys with long term commitments. 

There will be other teams interested that haven't been discussed, but right now the biggest threat should be NJ. Carolina could be a team, not sure Dundon has the stomach for the kind of deal it would take though.

18 hours ago, travel_dude said:

It's a tough situation.  

Is that Guddy?

Other guy no idea.

Maybe I'm just stirring stuff up..but why isn't Tkachuk there ?

Maybe he took the picture... 

Just now, Thebrewcrew said:

Looks like he’s on vacation, just by looking at his social media 

So he wasn't invited to Monys wedding?  Or was and didn't go? 

Hope we don't have a Hamilton goes to the museum situation here 

We need some action soon.. topics are getting hard to come by 🤣🤣

20 hours ago, travel_dude said:

It's a tough situation.  

Is that Guddy?

Other guy no idea.

Mangiapane , Hanifin, Johnny, Mony, Coleman, Gubrandson 

11 hours ago, robrob74 said:

i think JTech is saying there must be some good unsigned players out there that only need a chance. 

it’s tough to know. We had a few we signed who “were the best not in the NHL.” But I also wonder what they’d have looked like had they played for a team that was not just starting a rebuild. While there were a ton of opportunities they also lacked supporting casts to the supporting casts. 

we can use some help in some ways, this year would be good to find college guys that don’t have contracts. Maybe they should’ve gone hard after the guy the Canucks just signed? I think we still have a hole in the top six. There might be a few more of Johnny doesn’t sign. I get there is no gifting spots. 

is this the year a Mackey gets a chance or will he always be an AHL guy? We sign them but never get real NHL time. Is that scary for prospective players? 

There are 4 guys to look at in the Dev Camp....

G Cooper Black (21)

A Michigan kid, Black played with the BCHL’s Nanaimo Clippers and led the league in save percentage. He’s a tall kid, listed at 6’8″ and 194 pounds. He’s headed to Dartmouth College in the fall.

D Jake Lee (20)

Lee has aged out of junior, having spent his overage season with the WHL’s Kelowna Rockets. He had 46 points in 66 games for the Rockets. He was named to his division’s all-star team for his performance.

D Chris Sedoff (20)

A Finnish import, Sedoff plays with the WHL’s Red Deer Rebels. He had 61 points in 65 games and was named a divisional all-star. He’s eligible to return to the Dub as an overager, or go pro.

RW Carter Wilkie (22)

A Calgary product, Wilkie is a right shot forward who just finished his freshman season at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT). He had 30 points in 37 games and was named his conference’s top rookie.

The one sounding interesting is Sedoff.  To be able to put up that many points as a player new to NA hockey is quite something.  

So Kadri is our plan B. 

he had a career year.

what are the expectations on repeating that? Would he be the #1 or #2C? 

what if we can sign him and Johnny, Trade Tkachuk. I’m only wondering if it’s better to have the better Top2C’s? I don’t mind keeping Tkachuk but want him to step up a bit more in bigger games. I get he was injured in the playoffs but in most games where the Francis hype machine takes off or media hype happens, he goes really quiet. It’s similar in the playoffs for me… 

Gaudreau, Kadri, Mang

Dube, Lindholm, Toffoli

Pelletier, Backlund, Coleman 

Lucic, Ruzicka, Jarnkrok

Lewis

You guys are better at throwing lines together. Be nice if we could graduate a few from Stockton, but if they need one more year, they need one more…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

There are 4 guys to look at in the Dev Camp....

G Cooper Black (21)

A Michigan kid, Black played with the BCHL’s Nanaimo Clippers and led the league in save percentage. He’s a tall kid, listed at 6’8″ and 194 pounds. He’s headed to Dartmouth College in the fall.

D Jake Lee (20)

Lee has aged out of junior, having spent his overage season with the WHL’s Kelowna Rockets. He had 46 points in 66 games for the Rockets. He was named to his division’s all-star team for his performance.

D Chris Sedoff (20)

A Finnish import, Sedoff plays with the WHL’s Red Deer Rebels. He had 61 points in 65 games and was named a divisional all-star. He’s eligible to return to the Dub as an overager, or go pro.

RW Carter Wilkie (22)

A Calgary product, Wilkie is a right shot forward who just finished his freshman season at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT). He had 30 points in 37 games and was named his conference’s top rookie.

The one sounding interesting is Sedoff.  To be able to put up that many points as a player new to NA hockey is quite something.  

sounds like Sedoff wants to play NA and says if it’s not in the AHL or NHL then Red Deer. Be cool if it’s a good add and find in the long run. 

it looks like he went Red Deer and then Sm Liiga for a season and back to Red Deer this past season.

http:// https://www.reddeeradvocate.com/sports/red-deer-rebels-defenceman-christoffer-sedoff-wants-to-stay-in-north-america/

Sedoff has been a good junior player. It was expected that he would be drafted in 2020, but that didn't happen.

He was really productive this year, but important to keep in mind that Red Deer had Canucks prospect Arshdeep Bains and Ducks prospect Ben King up front. Bains had 112pts and King had 105pts. Maybe some inflated production there.

Of course there's Brent Sutter connection in Red Deer to keep in mind and the Flames are very thin in D prospects. 

Elias Cohen is a very interesting invite at forward. RHS. 2nd leading scorer on Erie.

A few other posters have mentioned this, but this is a year where it makes sense to sign an undrafted player or two. Of course they have to earn it, but when you only draft 3 players, you need to be creative to add to the prospect pool. 

• Like 1

One guy who I think could be a legit target either way is Andre Burakovsky. He has that size and skill combo we need. His best friend is Rasmussen Andersson. He has 2 Cup rings. Still only 27. He checks a lot of boxes for this team.

• Like 2