Playoffs GDT - FLAMES @ Oilers - Tues 24 May 2022

rocketdoctor

This is the first time I can remember being down 3-1 and still feeling it isn't over ..this team can do it ..they just have to do it .

We definitely saw the effect Tanev has, even at far less than 100%

I'm not down on Toffoli like some here ..I'd be worried if he wasn't getting Chances.. but it's typical a deadline acquisition undershines.. you need chemistry that builds over a longer time . We're missing a healthy Monahan 

Next year we get guys like valaimki and Mackey in there .. we got some scoring players that shouid be ready 

Sutter isn't wrong..they have to learn this 

I still stand by wouid have started Vladar this game , but in no way is this series on Markstrom , aside from the opening gaffe he was solid .. he's facing chances he didn't face most of the year. Scrums , traffic and one on ones ..  this is his first real playoffs (aside from a series in the bubble with no fans )

Really there's only 2 players disappointing me this series and that's Lucic and Dube .. as a whole we are not playing physical like we need to but I expected more tone setting from both of them ..Dube has been invisible and aside from the first game and the Smith hit Lucic has been invisible 

That being said , this isn't over ..tonight we played the right way..carry that over to a win on Thursday and I truly feel this is going 7 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

This is the first time I can remember being down 3-1 and still feeling it isn't over ..this team can do it ..they just have to do it .

I'm not down on Toffoli like some here ..I'd be worried if he wasn't getting Chances.. but it's typical a deadline acquisition undershines.. you need chemistry that builds over a longer time . We're missing a healthy Monahan 

Next year we get guys like valaimki and Mackey in there .. we got some scoring players that shouid be ready 

I still stand by wouid have started Vladar this game , but in no way is this series on Markstrom , aside from the opening gaffe he was solid .. he's facing chances he didn't face most of the year. Scrums , traffic and one on ones ..  this is his first real playoffs (aside from a series in the bubble with no fans )

Really there's only 2 players disappointing me this series and that's Lucic and Dube .. as a whole we are not playing physical like we need to but I expected more tone setting from both of them ..Dube has been invisible and aside from the first game and the Smith hit Lucic has been invisible 

That being said , this isn't over ..tonight we played the right way..carry that over to a win on Thursday and I truly feel this is going 7 

I agree. I’ve got a funny feeling this isn’t over.

Right now Edmonton has 3 chances to close it out. If the Flames can win game 5, that 3 really drops to 1.5 IMO. By the letter of the law the Oil would still have two chances, but theyre also a game away from facing elimination themselves. Win a game and plant a seed

It starts at the top. The big guys have to show up and deliver. Nothing left to save it for 

30 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I agree. I’ve got a funny feeling this isn’t over.

Right now Edmonton has 3 chances to close it out. If the Flames can win game 5, that 3 really drops to 1.5 IMO. By the letter of the law the Oil would still have two chances, but theyre also a game away from facing elimination themselves. Win a game and plant a seed

It starts at the top. The big guys have to show up and deliver. Nothing left to save it for 

Yep..if memory serves wasn't it Sutters kings that were down 3-0 and came back and won a

series and a cup? Lewis wouid have been on that team.. 

Don't care if they whined to the league..wr need to hack Leon's ankle into spaghetti.. you don't see us whining about running Tanev..it's playoff hockey, if you can play expect to get whacked 

Also..it's too late now ..but we saw yesterday how Tanev directs his linemate. Obviously the secret to why his partners have great season ..

I wonder now for next year..what happens if we give him Vakimaki? Upside way higher than Kyllingyon.. were unlikely to keep Zadorov with cap issues so can drop Kyllingyon down a line .but it's clear he a partner who can direct him in real time so his skills can come thru without defensive miscues 

I shouid add too. I LOVE the fact the Heat are on a run.. learn to win there and it carries thru. 

59 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

There is always a possibility in anything. Has this club played its best hockey no, if they did this would be reverseed in our favor. The underlying question is why have they not elevated their game? Why was it a roster of rookies in LA were capable of pusing the last series to 7, when these guys can't rise to the occassion. Can't be simply inexperiance or LA would have been gone in 4. The presenace of Tanev last night made Kylington look OK, remove Tanev and the guy is below average. There has been some really invisible players in this series as well, Mags, Dube, Lucic, Stone, Kylington, even Chucky hasn't been noticable. I love Sutter and agree with some of what he says, but if your not a gamer simply being in a situation isn't going to make you one.  I would love nothing more than a 7 game we win scenario, My question remains the same as it did last year, the year, previous and the year before that. The simple comment of " We didn't play our best, or we have to be better" is still comments that have gotten old with me. Your in the cup play offs, where every game you win moves you one step closer to a cup. The best you have is we have to be better or we have not played our best is the best you got, so when do we see YOUR best effort. 

2 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

There is always a possibility in anything. Has this club played its best hockey no, if they did this would be reverseed in our favor. The underlying question is why have they not elevated their game? Why was it a roster of rookies in LA were capable of pusing the last series to 7, when these guys can't rise to the occassion. Can't be simply inexperiance or LA would have been gone in 4. The presenace of Tanev last night made Kylington look OK, remove Tanev and the guy is below average. There has been some really invisible players in this series as well, Mags, Dube, Lucic, Stone, Kylington, even Chucky hasn't been noticable. I love Sutter and agree with some of what he says, but if your not a gamer simply being in a situation isn't going to make you one.  I would love nothing more than a 7 game we win scenario, My question remains the same as it did last year, the year, previous and the year before that. The simple comment of " We didn't play our best, or we have to be better" is still comments that have gotten old with me. Your in the cup play offs, where every game you win moves you one step closer to a cup. The best you have is we have to be better or we have not played our best is the best you got, so when do we see YOUR best effort. 

I do hear ya..but as loathe as I am to do it some credit has to go to how the Oilers are playing us .. they're in the lanes of our passes , as much as we all seem to hate it , Smith playing the puck changes game strategy.cant just dump it in for a wrap around the boards .

They have guys ready to take those rebounds the other way. 

Just once ..I'd love to see somebody crush McDavid head on when he's coming in on a rush 

I truly believe  Tkachuk has a broken hand .no excuses but his touch is definitely off 

Bottom line , lesson 2 we're needing to learn is how to change your style on the fly 

Many said at the start of the year , making the playoffs and winning a round would be a win.and here we are in round 2, not over yet 

We had all the chances to be up 3-1 this series.  We should've won game 2 but Markstrom had other ideas.  We should've won yesterday but played the worst final 5 minutes of these playoffs and took a double minor to end the game.  Both games we were the slightly better team.  It was there for the taking.

59 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

okay so my manipualtion of Oilers team in the lines post did not work.  Proves no one really reads the lines aswell 😄

After 3 straight losses I think we need a new GDT provider.

RD, you did your part in getting us to round 2.  I will finish the series for you if you like.

You can pick it up in round 3 if you like.  :) 

8 hours ago, The_Snowbear said:

Accordimg tp darryl it was our best game of the series now what others says here is neither here nor there he thinks we played the way we should be

Defensively he is right. They played the boring road style you want in the playoffs.

but the flip side of that is they generated very little. The Oilers actually had the better share of quality chances. The type of formula (the boring road style) works really well when you are leading but it doesn't work so well when you are trailing or tied. 

but I can see what he is saying. With better goaltending and less stupid penalties they win that game last night. I just would have liked to see some more urgency from them given the circumstances. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Defensively he is right. They played the boring road style you want in the playoffs.

but the flip side of that is they generated very little. The Oilers actually had the better share of quality chances. The type of formula (the boring road style) works really well when you are leading but it doesn't work so well when you are trailing or tied. 

but I can see what he is saying. With better goaltending and less stupid penalties they win that game last night. I just would have liked to see some more urgency from them given the circumstances. 

It slowed down McDavid and gave us the best chance to win.  If given the choice, then I would prefer we keep playing this style.  It's our best chance.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It slowed down McDavid and gave us the best chance to win.  If given the choice, then I would prefer we keep playing this style.  It's our best chance.

At this point the best chance to win is whatever it takes. I think the Flames have lost the luxury of playing a certain way. 

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

Dube is kind of lost but we also need Jarnkrok to score.  He might only have one more game to do so this season.  Plus, Toffoli on that line can't find Dube.  That trio is kind of hopeless for scoring.

I wonder if putting Dube on RW helps.  He's played his best hockey on RW.  Try something like Lucic - Jarnkrok - Dube to try to re-capture that magic the Lucic - Bennett - Dube line had a couple years ago.

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

RD, you did your part in getting us to round 2.  I will finish the series for you if you like.

Go for it we need to try anything at the moment to get our mojo back.

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

If you are making a change, it's after game 1 or 2.  Sutter doesn't buy into that concept though.  I doubt it would have changed much, since our scoring has been down since game 1.  Vladar might have kept it closer in game 2, or even kept one out in game 3, but we don't know that we would have scored to make it any different.

The top line has gone MIA.  In round 1, Tkachuk was a passenger until he had himself a game.  He hasn't done anything other than beat down a goalie in one game.  If he's killing offense with a hand injury, then it's simple, replace him with someone that can shoot.  Move him to a place where his defense can help.  On the PP, Gaudreau has so few options.  He might as well curl into the middle and shoot.  Nobody is open.  He's not down low enough for a side to side, but it doesn't matter because nobody is getting free.

Lucic and Lewis have hurt more than they have helped this series.  Fine to get the odd hit, but the puck is going the other way too easily, which exposes the line.  Too late to make any drastic changes like inserting Rozie, but you can limit the pain.  You want to keep the play on the right side, only two viable options.  Play the top line and they continue to drive the blueline.  Or play the defensive side and shut down the play.  

It's not over.  Got to Smith with three easy shots.  No reason why he plays any better than he has.  But even with a tie game, we didn't make it tough on him.  A couple of quality scoring chances easily handled by most goalies.  It's not that he's in our head, but they certainly aren't testing him with shots all over the 4x6.  

31 minutes ago, cross16 said:

At this point the best chance to win is whatever it takes. I think the Flames have lost the luxury of playing a certain way. 

This is exactly of what I have been saying and players have been spewing  for years. The fact that we keep hearing we need to play better or we have not played our best..... The question is when do you think is the time to start playing your best? 

17 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

This is exactly of what I have been saying and players have been spewing  for years. The fact that we keep hearing we need to play better or we have not played our best..... The question is when do you think is the time to start playing your best? 

The Flames showed spurts of it in 3 games in round 1.

Part of a game in Games 1 and 2.

Half of game 4.

Tkachuk, when he was driving play, was hard to stop.

Gaudreau, when at least one other player on the line is going, played good hockey.

But the top line was on the wrong side of the puck most every game.

Tkachuk has been clutch in games up to the playoffs.

Now he's just eating minutes.

In fact, in 4 games this round, he's been almost invisible.

If he's injured, replace his spot with someone that shows composure and drive.

If it's his age turning him into a spotty player, sit him down and get through to him.

2 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

okay so my manipualtion of Oilers team in the lines post did not work.  Proves no one really reads the lines aswell 😄

After 3 straight losses I think we need a new GDT provider.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Hell with that, Fellas! RD is our Markstrom this year. We win and lose on his back!

Just don't play any Bon Jovi or Journey, okay?

Love.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

I think we had too much arrogance coming into this series and that blowout win in Game 1 affirmed it for this group.  We coasted the last 3 games and it's burned us.  When we tied it up 3-3 in the 3rd, we thought the job was done or something.

Well, now we are on the ropes.  Let's see what this team is made of.  

20 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I think we had too much arrogance coming into this series and that blowout win in Game 1 affirmed it for this group.  We coasted the last 3 games and it's burned us.  When we tied it up 3-3 in the 3rd, we thought the job was done or something.

I'm still oddly calm. Only caught the 30 minute replay this morn, games are just too late for my sked rn.

How bad was Kyl? The 30 min replay didn't reflect well. Does he sit next game or what? Him and Stone out with 3:30 left is a head-scratcher.

Move Tkacuk to Backlund?

13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I don't believe in the arrogance thing so much.  Coming into the series, we were riding a high of a game 7 OT win.  Game 1 was all over the map.  River hockey.  Lax goaltending and defense.  Easy scoring.  Nothing what we had just finished playing.  Maybe there was a belief we could complete that way.  Crowd didn't help.  Details slipped away.  Started game 2 the same way, but the refs decided we needed to slow down.  Too much special teams stuff.  

We are in the same boat as game 6 against the Stars.  Must win category.  Up till now, we wanted a win.  Now we need a win.  I don't think you see major changes, but I would like to see something done with the top 9.  If Tanev can go, insert a different forward.  Give one chance to Rozie.  It only means that if you play him less, it's no worse than 11-7.  Rotate if you need to. 

The fat lady is reading the music, but I don't think she knows all the notes.  Play as if there is no tomorrow, since that is possibly the case. 

You guys think they can come back from a 2 game lose? I think the only way that happens is if we bring up Wolf Marks is not playing great hockey for some reason and without his stellar play we will lose he is the last line of defense and he is not playing great hockey. Now I'm not sure of the actual dangerous shot attempts but we did out shoot them last night but doesn't seem to matter . I would have never thought that smith could out play Marks.

23 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I'm still oddly calm. Only caught the 30 minute replay this morn, games are just too late for my sked rn.

How bad was Kyl? The 30 min replay didn't reflect well. Does he sit next game or what? Him and Stone out with 3:30 left is a head-scratcher.

Move Tkacuk to Backlund?

It was supposed to be a waste of 8 days for the Oilers.  What happened?