Playoffs GDT - Oilers @ FLAMES - Fri 20 May 2022

rocketdoctor

Just now, robrob74 said:

regardless of the shut reffing, the flames didn’t score and played that one pp poorly. 

Exactly , our PP was so bad it gave the Oilers the advantage and a goal. I knew their plan was to disrupt as much 5 on 5 time as possible and we fell for with the help of the refs too. Still no excuses we had the lead and lost the game. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

The refs saw the Flames running away and decided to even the play. Then the flames didn’t get a chance to get their game going again. 

if the reffing is gonna be like this it’s gonna be tough to win the series 

Last series, they haul off two guys, this game they pull 3.

Kozari is a joke of a ref.

Probably his last game (we hope).

The game was there, but the stripes decided it needed some help in deciding it.

Boy, at 3-3, it already felt like the game was lost.  Yes the refs and all but the Flames actually got scared of McDavid and got scrambly.  That scrambliness carried through when the other Oilers lines were on the ice.  We weren't in control the entire game.  We were chasing.  The Oilers were faster, hungrier, and for once, it wasn't just all Mcdavid.  Their 2nd and 3rd lines sustained a bit of pressure in the Flames zone.

I actually feel like Oettinger was so good that we worked the puck around a bit more for better shot options.  Against Smith, we are sending prayers at the net hoping he would mess up.  That's just too disrespectful and too lazy.  He's shakey but our shot selection was hopeless.  In a weird way, Mike Smith has us right where he wants us and that's such a fail on our part.

The game is tough for the team to manage and it's a tough test because there are two Oilers teams.  The one when McDavid is on the ice and the one when he's not.  When he's on the ice, we need to collapse better to the middle and keep McDavid to the outside.  When he's not on the ice, we need some patience.  It seems we are too eager to go score thinking their best play is on the bench but reality is our forwards cheat too much and we get caught in our own zone.

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

what did we do once they tied it? It was still for the taking?

We scored on our 2nd PP.

They score on the 4 minute one, technically their 4th.

The refs gave us back the PPs in the 3rd.

Mind you, the blown icing call put it out of reach.

13 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

regardless of the shut reffing, the flames didn’t score and played that one pp poorly. 

Ya agreed.  Reffing was rough but we got the two biggest calls in our favour.  Two goals called back to keep it 3-3 when it should've been 5-3 at that point.  The game was still right there for the taking and we let them score a short handed goal.

Our goal should've counted too and this one should've been 7-4 for the Oilers.  I mean, that's just not close.  

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Boy, at 3-3, it already felt like the game was lost.  Yes the refs and all but the Flames actually got scared of McDavid and got scrambly.  That scrambliness carried through when the other Oilers lines were on the ice.  We weren't in control the entire game.  We were chasing.  The Oilers were faster, hungrier, and for once, it wasn't just all Mcdavid.  Their 2nd and 3rd lines sustained a bit of pressure in the Flames zone.

I actually feel like Oettinger was so good that we worked the puck around a bit more for better shot options.  Against Smith, we are sending prayers at the net hoping he would mess up.  That's just too disrespectful and too lazy.  He's shakey but our shot selection was hopeless.  In a weird way, Mike Smith has us right where he wants us and that's such a fail on our part.

The game is tough for the team to manage and it's a tough test because there are two Oilers teams.  The one when McDavid is on the ice and the one when he's not.  When he's on the ice, we need to collapse better to the middle and keep McDavid to the outside.  When he's not on the ice, we need some patience.  It seems we are too eager to go score thinking their best play is on the bench but reality is our forwards cheat too much and we get caught in our own zone.

i think a lot on here think this team is made of gods and that we aren’t prone to poor play. But I think we are more prone to it than we like to think. 

i text with a friend who hardly watches hockey and she’s telling me, “well, the refs might be bad, but throughout These playoffs Calgary does stop playing and it’s frustrating to watch that.”

“They do tend to lose steam though for short periods..... I wouldn’t blame the refs for all”

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

The shortie killed it for us.

Trying to pass into or through crowds.

No wonder Ras had no chance to collect it.

I don't think it's the best idea to use him high like that.

Just me, but you do that when you have another D at the point.

yup! 
there were a lot of odd choices on the powerplays. For some reason the #2 unit is looking better. I feel Toffoli is still a bad choice for PP1. He does that a lot where he looks around with it then makes a bad decision. 

we don’t pass it like the good pp teams out there. We have the personnel but seem to force plays too much. 

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

i think a lot on here think this team is made of gods and that we aren’t prone to poor play. But I think we are more prone to it than we like to think. 

i text with a friend who hardly watches hockey and she’s telling me, “well, the refs might be bad, but throughout These playoffs Calgary does stop playing and it’s frustrating to watch that.”

“They do tend to lose steam though for short periods..... I wouldn’t blame the refs for all”

I feel like our D without Tanev has been exposed and it's not championship caliber.  There's no pure shutdown Dman to answer the other team's best player.  There's no pure offensive Dman to push the offense in critical moments.  There's no big minutes guy to play the most important minutes.  It just doesn't look good.  We need Tanev back really badly and we need him back 100%.

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Still a few players not willing to do everything it takes.

Hanifin walked the slapper from Bouchard.

Others letting a guy walk past them.

Zaddy not taking the player and just leisurely skating back with Draisaitl moving N/S.  

It's not like the Oilers took over the game.

We had so many penalties called that there was no flow.

We get a PP and have no sense of how to play it.

Last one was in the 2nd or 1st period.

Can't have Gaudreau sitting on the bench for minutes at a time.

Nothing against Stone, but he's not the fleetest of foot.

He's at times hanging Kyler out to dry.

Hey, I'm not making excuses or saying we are perfect.

It's a game we should have had in the bag.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I feel like our D without Tanev has been exposed and it's not championship caliber.  There's no pure shutdown Dman to answer the other team's best player.  There's no pure offensive Dman to push the offense in critical moments.  There's no big minutes guy to play the most important minutes.  It just doesn't look good.  We need Tanev back really badly and we need him back 100%.

i think they can do it, but then it’s mind. And it has to happen before he gets the puck or at the exact time he gets it. Can’t let him wind up.