Elias Lindholm

The_People1

Funny how little we talk about Lindy.

Best player in the trade.

Who would have thought we would end up with B2B 1st round picks.

Too bad Monahan wasn't healthy.

Lindy has solidified the top 3.

His stellar play turned JH into a +64 player.

Top defensive trio in the NHL, nobody even close.

And I say defensive because they get scored on so seldom.

LeBrun: Elias Lindholm has flourished with the Flames since his win-win trade from Hurricanes - The Athletic

Good piece by Lebrun on the trade.  It's an Athletic piece so it does require a subscription

A few quotes

Elias Lindholm was at a bar in Gävle, Sweden, with Jacob Markström and Calle Jarnkrok watching his country’s World Cup soccer game when the phone call came.  He had been traded.  Not that he was surprised.

“I knew it was coming,” Lindholm said, recalling the events that led to his trade to Calgary.

It was a trade that was born out of the Canes not being able to bridge the gap in a pair of contentious negotiating meetings with Lindholm’s then-agent Peter Wallen on the Wednesday and Friday at the draft.

“I got a couple of offers from Carolina and just didn’t think they were good enough,” Lindholm said. “So then, that was it pretty much. They decided to go another way and move on. I ended up here in Calgary.”

Once Wallen rejected the Hurricanes’ latest contract offer on that Friday morning, owner Tom Dundon was adamant that Lindholm, an RFA, be traded.  

“I didn’t talk to Brad before that Wednesday at the draft (about Lindholm),” Wadell recalled. “I told Tree that day we were trying to sign Lindholm … I think the next day he called me and that’s when we started talking. The deal got done relatively quickly.”

The trade was announced on the second day of the draft.

The Flames weren’t the only team involved, of course. While Waddell would not share which other teams talked to him about Lindholm once word got out he was on the market, other sources suggested that Blues GM Doug Armstrong had a chat or two with Waddell. This is interesting because that was in and around the same time Armstrong was also laying the groundwork for the Ryan O’Reilly trade with Buffalo.

And of course the elephant 

The Flames knew Fox would never sign with them. Treliving didn’t want to include him in the Hurricanes deal because he wanted to trade Fox in a separate deal and get more for him. But Waddell insisted on Fox being part of the deal because he met the player’s agent, Matt Keator, at the draft and was at least told the Canes would have a chance with Fox.

“We were told that the player did not want to sign for a Canadian team,” Waddell said of his chat at the time with Keator.

Which was echoed by Keator when reached on Thursday.

“We had conversations with Carolina, Adam attended a development camp there, we had plenty of discussions but in the end, Adam wanted to go home and in the end, they were compensated. They didn’t get nothing,” Keator told

Also should be pointed out that Hamilton's best season as a Flame was 50 points, Hanifin just recorded 48 and in the 2nd half this year had 30 points in the final 40 games, will be curious to see if the second half was a breakout or an anomaly. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd bump this one as an appreciation post.  Sure he may have soured on many with his high contract demands and play this season, but lets not look past what he did for the team and he brought tremendous value to them, he production warrants way more than the 4.8 that the team paid him, sure his offense may have been aided by Johnny, but maybe Lindholm deserves credit for Johnny's game as well, not like Johnny was lights out in 2020 or 2021 away from Lindholm or even now in Columbus.  

Also neat looking at the trade tree dating back to the initial Hamilton trade.  3 picks went to Boston - Zach Senyshyn (unqualified playing in Europe), Jeremy Lauzon (lost in Seattle expansion draft), Jacob Forsbacka-Karlson (back in Europe).  Then the Carolina trade - Dougie Hamilton (lost as UFA), Micheal Ferland (lost as UFA), Adam Fox (series of draft pick maneuvers but they have Noel Gunler, Jameson Rees and Anttoni Honka to show, and still hard to judge how those guys will be with Carolina not having their own AHL affiliate).  So even without factoring Hanifin it's nice to see the extension of the tree.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Thought I'd bump this one as an appreciation post.  Sure he may have soured on many with his high contract demands and play this season, but lets not look past what he did for the team and he brought tremendous value to them, he production warrants way more than the 4.8 that the team paid him, sure his offense may have been aided by Johnny, but maybe Lindholm deserves credit for Johnny's game as well, not like Johnny was lights out in 2020 or 2021 away from Lindholm or even now in Columbus.  

Also neat looking at the trade tree dating back to the initial Hamilton trade.  3 picks went to Boston - Zach Senyshyn (unqualified playing in Europe), Jeremy Lauzon (lost in Seattle expansion draft), Jacob Forsbacka-Karlson (back in Europe).  Then the Carolina trade - Dougie Hamilton (lost as UFA), Micheal Ferland (lost as UFA), Adam Fox (series of draft pick maneuvers but they have Noel Gunler, Jameson Rees and Anttoni Honka to show, and still hard to judge how those guys will be with Carolina not having their own AHL affiliate).  So even without factoring Hanifin it's nice to see the extension of the tree.

I liked Lindholm. I think it's one of those things where players excel due to the make up and not an example due to the extreme drop, but I see similarities, like when Anson Carter left Vancouver but was clearly a benefactor of the Sedins. Lindholm is a great team guy when in... 

other thing pointed out by Sarich this morning, how many line mates has Lindholm had since Johnny and Tkachuk left? 

essentially was:

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm

then:

Gaudreau, Lindholm, Tkachuk

good players need to play with good players. Once in awhile good players can prop up a bad one, but in Lindy's case he hasn't had a second good player since Huberdeau arrived.

23 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

Been one of my favorite players since he was here.  Wish he wasn't a Canuck.  Going to be hard to cheer for him there.

The big 3 were gone; Johnny, Monny and Matty.

There was no way to have him be the same player again.

For this team, it didn't make sense to re-sign him.

Saying that, there are two hated teams and he is now part of one of them.

I have to hope either VAN gets to the West finals (draft pick) or neither them nor EDM makes it.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I cheered for BOS in the cup finals that year.

And watched VAN burn it down.

I would cheer for either VAN or EDM to lose and not even get to the cup.

I was working the Vancouver Queen Elizabeth Theatre and watched from my station the police cars getting burnt up. Saw from the other side of my floor the smoke start to billow out the window when the first car was set afire. Loved to outcome in the game, but not the mayhem afterwards.

12 minutes ago, The_Tribal Chief said:

Im Curious if this means were rebuilding or doing some minor retools to try to be a play off team or were Clearing out the wood shed

Both! both Connie's moves align with player that can play now with future in mind.

17 minutes ago, The_Tribal Chief said:

Im Curious if this means were rebuilding or doing some minor retools to try to be a play off team or were Clearing out the wood shed

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Both! both Connie's moves align with player that can play now with future in mind.

I don't think we could pull this off without taking a big salary.

I was worried it would be Myers from VAN.

Or Ceci from EDM.

Or something along those lines

Really enjoyed watching Lindholm as a Flame.

Sucks to see him leave, but when it’s all said and done, he’s a guy I think will have played his best years for the Flames.

Hopefully he gets a nice deal this summer. He’s been underpaid for six years.

3 hours ago, Addicted said:

2 goals tonight on the new team. Good on him!

I just don't think we ever used him properly on the pp. His shot should have been closer to the net than off the wall or the point or wherever else we played him. I kept saying, put him in front or off to the left side to get his shot off. He score a bunch from there the year he did well, but didn't go back to that set up enough to capitalize on his strength. And we havent had anyone really like that to be in that spot. 

5 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I just don't think we ever used him properly on the pp. His shot should have been closer to the net than off the wall or the point or wherever else we played him. I kept saying, put him in front or off to the left side to get his shot off. He score a bunch from there the year he did well, but didn't go back to that set up enough to capitalize on his strength. And we havent had anyone really like that to be in that spot. 

I think a lot was on him.. he was playing for the longest time like a guy just going thru the motions..   and look , love the player , that's not meant to be a knock..  its like when you are at work knowing you're going on vacation in a week.. the focus just isn't there .. just haven't see that extra gear or jump in a long time 

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I think a lot was on him.. he was playing for the longest time like a guy just going thru the motions..   and look , love the player , that's not meant to be a knock..  its like when you are at work knowing you're going on vacation in a week.. the focus just isn't there .. just haven't see that extra gear or jump in a long time 

I don't mean just this year though.

he was definitely gone before the season started.  I think I'm going back to even when Johnny was here, they could have used him better on the pp. 

On 2/1/2024 at 3:33 PM, travel_dude said:

I cheered for BOS in the cup finals that year.

And watched VAN burn it down.

I would cheer for either VAN or EDM to lose and not even get to the cup.

Right on man.

I cheered for Iginla in BOS, PIT, and LAK

I cheered for Regehr in LAK

I cheered for Fleury in COL

Etc

But no to Oilers and Canucks.