Playoffs GDT Flames @ Stars - Game 3 - Saturday 7 May 2022

rocketdoctor

I don’t know what it is with this franchise and the first round but so far they are continuing the theme

Back to back poor games from the flames who are slowly choking away this series. Once again Flames best players don’t get the job done. 

the flames still CAN win this series but boy is it hard to believe they will with how they are playing right now. 

Just now, rickross said:

Man…did not expect this series to alter my faith in this team as it has. Down 2-1 and I can’t say they’ve given me any reason to believe they were close to a deep playoff run. They’ve deserved every loss so far. 

it is playoff hockey , 

gotta give Dallas credit. 

i think the Pp was the difference. We are 0 - for tonight and they got the one.

I think we gotta stop the scrappy . We are more concerned about playing slaps in between whistles. 

9 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

he’s also not getting himself open. I’m not see him and saying, why aren’t they getting him the puck. And when he does get it he does something stupid like Hanifin does. 

Maybe he’s just playing like Sam Bennett. Sam Bennett was a bum too. Look how poorly he’s done in Florida. I do usually agree with you Rob, but let’s admit that if Ovechkin was on Backlund’s line, he wouldn’t be passed to either. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don’t know what it is with this franchise and the first round but so far they are continuing the theme

Back to back poor games from the flames who are slowly choking away this series. Once again Flames best players don’t get the job done. 

the flames still CAN win this series but boy is it hard to believe they will with how they are playing right now. 

Dallas is frustrating them… they’re getting in The way. Then we play slap them around dagger the whistles and Dallas is ok with that. 

but I think it’s Dallas pushing back and I don’t know how much of that happens that way in the regular season, at least not the same way as in the playoffs.

evenly matched teams! 

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

it is playoff hockey , 

I think we gotta stop the scrappy . We are more concerned about playing slaps in between whistles. 

I give Dallas all the credit…I guess  it’s been lonely at the top for the Flames. Underdog has carried all the momentum , Flames now in full desperation mode. Here we go again 

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

it is playoff hockey , 

Absolutely give Dallas the credit!  As a team they are shutting down all of Calgary’s scoring power!  
And give cudo’s to Ottenger.  He is playing like an MVP.

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Dallas is frustrating them… they’re getting in The way. Then we play slap them around dagger the whistles and Dallas is ok with that. 

but I think it’s Dallas pushing back and I don’t know how much of that happens that way in the regular season, at least not the same way as in the playoffs.

evenly matched teams! 

I don’t agree. Teams have played this way against Calgary for months, if they weren’t prepared for this thats on them. 

once again the Flames best players are laying an egg in the post season. I have a hard time giving Dallas that much credit when players don’t play at their best. 

3 minutes ago, flames for life said:

Absolutely give Dallas the credit!  As a team they are shutting down all of Calgary’s scoring power!  

Yup, Moreso that he is able to make saves because he can see the puck. He has made a few nice saves when he had to, but the only times we've made it really hard on him, we scored. 

Just now, flames for life said:

Agree with the first part, not with the 2nd. For otterbox to be labeled an MVP, he has to be stealing games and robbing goals. Can’t say I’ve seen much of that. I’d be surprised if the guy has broken a sweat in the 3 games he’s played. I’d bet Louis Domingue would have the same results against us if he was playing for Dallas in this series. We’re not here. That’s the bottom line. We’re not here. We saw a marvelous season from the flames. We know what it looks like when they’re playing the right way. Gotta stop lying to ourselves and recognize that we aren’t invested in this matchup. 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don’t agree. Teams have played this way against Calgary for months, if they weren’t prepared for this thats on them. 

once again the Flames best players are laying an egg in the post season. I have a hard time giving Dallas that much credit when players don’t play at their best. 

Well, up until this game, the Dallas star players were basically man on man on the flames, they've given them hardly any room. This was the only game where there was actually a bit of flow. And that was both teams. 

And what I meant about the whistles, Calgary seems more interested in throwing punches after the whistles than play their game. So I guess we agree there. But Dallas is doing that to the team. 

3 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Agree with the first part, not with the 2nd. For otterbox to be labeled an MVP, he has to be stealing games and robbing goals. Can’t say I’ve seen much of that. I’d be surprised if the guy has broken a sweat in the 3 games he’s played. I’d bet Louis Domingue would have the same results against us if he was playing for Dallas in this series. We’re not here. That’s the bottom line. We’re not here. We saw a marvelous season from the flames. We know what it looks like when they’re playing the right way. Gotta stop lying to ourselves and recognize that we aren’t invested in this matchup. 

I don't see a team that isn't invested. I see a team that has a lot of misspent energy. This doesn't look like the Colorado or previous Dallas series's . The Flames are at least skating in these ones. I think the Flames are guilty of really poor shot selection. Toffoli, Hanifin and Klington etc, kill plays before they get going. 

5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Well, up until this game, the Dallas star players were basically man on man on the flames, they've given them hardly any room. This was the only game where there was actually a bit of flow. And that was both teams. 

yes but you knew that was going to be the case. That’s how Dallas plays. So it highlights the importance of the PP and the need to get to the net. 2 areas the flames have not been good at during the series. 

If I wasn't done with Hanifin before, then I definitely am now.  I don't understand how he can let Pavelski walk right down the middle for the rebound on that winning goal.  He's so average and cannot be trusted in crucial moments of the game.  He also doesn't have the offense to justify playing a big role on this team.

Toffoli is starting to irk me like James Neal.  I know that line is drawing the Stars top line constantly and Toffoli's D coverage is good but on offense... whiffing on passes, pucks bouncing off his stick and out, cannot receive a pass clean, cannot make a 6 foot pass clean, shooting right into legs, making low percentage bad angle shots, etc.  He's obviously struggling to score and he's compounding his frustrations by failing to do basic things well.

Other than this, Gaudreau still had a breakaway chance to tie the game.  And that was the game right there.  I know some wonder why he didn't go high glove but I don't mind his shot selection there.  The high glove has been scouted and too obvious.

We had the lead in the second period and then got away from our game.  We should've shut it down after that.

59 minutes ago, cross16 said:

yes but you knew that was going to be the case. That’s how Dallas plays. So it highlights the importance of the PP and the need to get to the net. 2 areas the flames have not been good at during the series. 

there have been regular season games where teams have done that and the Flames struggled in those games. It’s not an 82 game trend, but it did happen occasionally through the season. 

22 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If I wasn't done with Hanifin before, then I definitely am now.  I don't understand how he can let Pavelski walk right down the middle for the rebound on that winning goal.  He's so average and cannot be trusted in crucial moments of the game.  He also doesn't have the offense to justify playing a big role on this team.

if we are being fair,that was Anderson on the Pavelski go ahead goal. 

22 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Toffoli is starting to irk me like James Neal.  I know that line is drawing the Stars top line constantly and Toffoli's D coverage is good but on offense... whiffing on passes, pucks bouncing off his stick and out, cannot receive a pass clean, cannot make a 6 foot pass clean, shooting right into legs, making low percentage bad angle shots, etc.  He's obviously struggling to score and he's compounding his frustrations by failing to do basic things well.

Other than this, Gaudreau still had a breakaway chance to tie the game.  And that was the game right there.  I know some wonder why he didn't go high glove but I don't mind his shot selection there.  The high glove has been scouted and too obvious.

We had the lead in the second period and then got away from our game.  We should've shut it down after that.

i actually thought the game was about to be over once Markstrom made that great save and the Flames couldn’t recover in their own zone to settle in to play positions. They dropped coverage a lot in there and they made them pay. I was like, oh Satoshi Nakamoto! When they kept pressuring after the big save. Was like they’re gonna score here! And just as I said I can feel a goal coming here get to your coverage, they score! Tie game. 

35 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I think he was going high blocker, which was the right spot.

It whiffled on him and he didn't get the shot he wanted.

He never goes low pads.

5 hole maybe, but not low pads.

The unfortunate thing is we get a call for a monor slash (obvious, but not brutal).

Coleman gets a stick to the face and they let that one go.

That too was obvious.

It probably would not have made any difference, but it puts us on the PP.

Instead Dallas gets to bitn the clock.

Anyway, I going positive.

Way too much negativity for me right now.

I have trashed Backlund for his iffy faceoff play.

And Hanifin for his bad giveaway.

Just gonna stow that away.

22 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i actually thought the game was about to be over once Markstrom made that great save and the Flames couldn’t recover in their own zone to settle in to play positions. They dropped coverage a lot in there and they made them pay. I was like, oh Satoshi Nakamoto! When they kept pressuring after the big save. Was like they’re gonna score here! And just as I said I can feel a goal coming here get to your coverage, they score! Tie game. 

You are right.  That was such a key moment in the game. Markstrom makes an unbelievable save only for scrambly defense to negate that.  That tied the game and shifted momentum back to the Stars.  The game may have been lost right there.

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Timestamped.  It was Hanifin... Andersson slid over to support Lindholm who was kind of beat to the outside and Hanifin didn't recognize it.

that’s a miss read from Anderson imo. There was no need for him to play it that aggressively with Dube there on the back check. 

hard to blame Hanifin, or any player, for not reacting fast enough to another players error.