GDT - Canucks @ FLAMES - Saturday 23 April 2022

rocketdoctor

Thanks RD.  Another early morning game for you, in case you get a chance to watch.

Wolfie gets a break after almost singlehandedly leading the Heat to the brink of AHLop spot.

Yeah, it's a team game, but without that solid goalie, they just score a ton.

Standings wise, we get to put a big dent in the Nucks hopes for the playoffs,

They technically are still fighting for 3rd or WC spot, but that is bleak.

LA can lock up top 3 with a win over ANA and any loss by Vegas.

By the looks of it, Ritchie has almost cemented his spot on the roster.

Not sure I agree with that, but it really depends on the opponent in the first round.

On another note, we get one of the same refs that we had in the Nuck-CGY 7-1 loss.

34 PIM to 2.

Wonderful.

14 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Calling up Wolf? Only maintenance time for Marky......I hope.

They call it a maintenance day, but the callup is officially an Emergency Callup.

Sutter said he is giving Marky 4 days between games.

That means NAS then at most one other game.

I'm not even sure he will get a second game.

He's hit 62 already.

Only thing he could get is one more SO.

I know we love to pick on various parts of our game that seem to have fallen back a bit, but Sutter doesn't appear to be that concerned.  

He says that we have been consistent in all the different metrics, faceoffs, home/away, PK, PP, scoring, possession....

Suggests that they don't need to really work on one aspect of the game, as those come up in a loss.

Not really struggling, just need to be better when it falls off a bit in a game.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I know we love to pick on various parts of our game that seem to have fallen back a bit, but Sutter doesn't appear to be that concerned.  

He says that we have been consistent in all the different metrics, faceoffs, home/away, PK, PP, scoring, possession....

Suggests that they don't need to really work on one aspect of the game, as those come up in a loss.

Not really struggling, just need to be better when it falls off a bit in a game.

I'd kinda like to see Wolf get a game in. Just as a reward for such a good season at least.

15 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I'd kinda like to see Wolf get a game in. Just as a reward for such a good season at least.

Over using Markstrom in the remaining game?  Sure.

But Vladar is the unsung hero on the Flames.

He doesn't get a lot of love from the coach.

It's your job is the usual refrain.

That's the public statement of course, but Sutter doesn't really hold back.

I don't think there is enough of an excuse to use a regular recall on the chance of getting a game.

Does Wolf deserve some props?

Of course, but he gets to be on a potential Calder Cup team to finish his rookie season.

Let him win that and come back next year or the year after.

I don't fancy the idea of waiving Vladar this fall or carrying 3 goalies. 

I may have been dreaming but I thought they said that Nylander (or maybe it was Tavares) should be up for the Selke.  Not just in the conversation, but a front runner.  Marner and Bunting are the only forwards even above + 20 that are actually scoring.  Are they on crack?  

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think he’s good at deflection when it’s outside asking or criticizing, but hints at things at certain times. He’s on it and wants to be the one to call it out … he protects when it’s others…

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think he’s good at deflection when it’s outside asking or criticizing, but hints at things at certain times. He’s on it and wants to be the one to call it out … he protects when it’s others…

I think he recognizes that ot's a one off.  He stresses that this is the most consistent team he knows of.  Remember, the entire team save 2 were on COVID protocol and had games dumped on them like crazy.  We are one of the very few teams that made up a bunch to actually qualify.  These are big reasona why we are in the playoffs now as opposed to the last week of the season.  His biggest challenge is getting guys to play playoff hockey when chances dry up.

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think he recognizes that ot's a one off.  He stresses that this is the most consistent team he knows of.  Remember, the entire team save 2 were on COVID protocol and had games dumped on them like crazy.  We are one of the very few teams that made up a bunch to actually qualify.  These are big reasona why we are in the playoffs now as opposed to the last week of the season.  His biggest challenge is getting guys to play playoff hockey when chances dry up.

i think definitely did great considering