GDT - Canucks @ FLAMES - Saturday 23 April 2022

rocketdoctor

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I'm surprised the Canucks didn't challenge the Ritchie goal as Lucic clearly made contact with Demko about 2 seconds before the shot from the point.  The season was on the line and the call was borderline.  Was Lucic pushed in?  Did Demko have a legit chance to reset for the shot?

Lucic had liitle room to get out of the blue paint.

The Nucks player was in the crease, so there was no way to avoid it.

As it was, Lucic skated on the least obtrusive angle and stride he could.

Whoever was watching the feed fell asleep at the controls.

They probably should have challenged it regardless of whether they were 100% sire.

As far as success, I think it would have been a good goal.

I've seen far worse ones get confirmed.

Demko had time to recover, and the puck went over his pads.

No touchy, still goally. 

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Sutter said he wanted to give Marky 4 days at least then another 4 before the playoffs.

You know I want Marky in net for the playoffs as bad as the next guy, but I would feel completely confident in Vlad if we had to turn to him for some reason 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

4th line looked really energised tonight.

Go Flames Go!

Best I’ve seen them play in a while. For all the gaffes Looch has been making lately, he played an impressive, impressive game for me. I also secretly (not so secret now) cheer for Ritchie for all of the negativity spewed at him, and I do believe our 4th line will be very impactful come playoffs. 

What has crossed my mind, however, is how Carpenter has all but disappeared. Lewis and Ruzie have been noticeably good at center ice, so I’m not suggesting any changes, but unless he’s nursing an injury it seems apparent he’s considered a depth option at this point. I’m feeling good about this group, and I also felt Johnny was being sincere in his responses during after hours. 

Go flames go! 

6 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

3 games left for Johnny to get another milestone moment.

As much as he secretly is hoping to get this, he cares more about it being an important goal.  Last night it was a goal that took the wind out of VAN's sails.  They had just scored to make it 5-3 with time to get at least another.  With the point, Gaudreau is now toed for 3rd all time for US born players.  Just passed Joey Mullen and Patty Kane.  

2 hours ago, LouCifer said:

Best I’ve seen them play in a while. For all the gaffes Looch has been making lately, he played an impressive, impressive game for me. I also secretly (not so secret now) cheer for Ritchie for all of the negativity spewed at him, and I do believe our 4th line will be very impactful come playoffs. 

What has crossed my mind, however, is how Carpenter has all but disappeared. Lewis and Ruzie have been noticeably good at center ice, so I’m not suggesting any changes, but unless he’s nursing an injury it seems apparent he’s considered a depth option at this point. I’m feeling good about this group, and I also felt Johnny was being sincere in his responses during after hours. 

Go flames go! 

Sutter has a lot more time for those three guys than the average fan.  They have struggled at times, but last night was perhaps the best game overall from Looch.  Was dialed into his responsibilities and skated fasted than I remember.  He loves HNIC, but perhaps it was playing a game after a day off.  When he plays close to the edge, he is fierce.  Almost never worry about what you are getting from Lewis.  It's the same every time.  Ritchie till worries me (as does Looch) in our zone.  Limit that play and we have a playoff line.

Carpenter was Richardson insurance.  We have 2 extra C's even though I would prefer to just use Lewis on RW.  You have to love Sutter's comments about the team needing to be more professional at home.  Go out and do your business and stop Blockchaining around.  The fact that we have a similar road and home record speaks to that.  Prepare and play the same way.  Don't just perform for the fans.  

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

As much as he secretly is hoping to get this, he cares more about it being an important goal.  Last night it was a goal that took the wind out of VAN's sails.  They had just scored to make it 5-3 with time to get at least another.  With the point, Gaudreau is now toed for 3rd all time for US born players.  Just passed Joey Mullen and Patty Kane.  

Sutter has a lot more time for those three guys than the average fan.  They have struggled at times, but last night was perhaps the best game overall from Looch.  Was dialed into his responsibilities and skated fasted than I remember.  He loves HNIC, but perhaps it was playing a game after a day off.  When he plays close to the edge, he is fierce.  Almost never worry about what you are getting from Lewis.  It's the same every time.  Ritchie till worries me (as does Looch) in our zone.  Limit that play and we have a playoff line.

Carpenter was Richardson insurance.  We have 2 extra C's even though I would prefer to just use Lewis on RW.  You have to love Sutter's comments about the team needing to be more professional at home.  Go out and do your business and stop Blockchaining around.  The fact that we have a similar road and home record speaks to that.  Prepare and play the same way.  Don't just perform for the fans.  

don’t forget the Vancouver connection. Maybe more of his peeps watch on Vancouver nights 

Looch started the year like this, at least most of the first half. But when the schedule condensed he got less effective, and less efficient with the puck. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

don’t forget the Vancouver connection. Maybe more of his peeps watch on Vancouver nights 

Looch started the year like this, at least most of the first half. But when the schedule condensed he got less effective, and less efficient with the puck. 

No doubt.  Looch talks more like a Calgarian these days than a BC boy.  Maybe still not a rural type, but seems to embrace the lifestyle of the city.  He's older, so naturally his energy levels ebb and flow.  He's as much a cheerleader as a conscience.  Will be a pleasant change to see his playoff game on this team. 

I watched an Oilers game today and see how regular season play differs from playoff style.  Run and gun.  How effective will that be?  I think the slower pace, score in waves of pressure works maybe a bit better.  The Oilers score a lot from the rush and from funneling tons of shots.  A lot of low danger ones at that.    

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

No doubt.  Looch talks more like a Calgarian these days than a BC boy.  Maybe still not a rural type, but seems to embrace the lifestyle of the city.  He's older, so naturally his energy levels ebb and flow.  He's as much a cheerleader as a conscience.  Will be a pleasant change to see his playoff game on this team. 

I watched an Oilers game today and see how regular season play differs from playoff style.  Run and gun.  How effective will that be?  I think the slower pace, score in waves of pressure works maybe a bit better.  The Oilers score a lot from the rush and from funneling tons of shots.  A lot of low danger ones at that.    

it might be fine in the first round. They’ll probably play LA so who knows what that will be like. 

8 hours ago, robrob74 said:

it might be fine in the first round. They’ll probably play LA so who knows what that will be like. 

The Oilers face a team they handled in the regular season.  Well, not really handled, but LA went 1-2-1 with a shootout loss.  Basically, the away team won each game.  Smith has been anointed the starter mantle, so that should be an interesting series.  I don't know if EDM is better this year over last year.  Kulak is a good addition.  Kane and Hyman add into goal scoring.  Keith is not good.  Ceci is soso.  LOL.  They claim he is the best D-man they have.  I still see a lot of offence and not a lot of defensive structure.  F don't backcheck in the D-zone.  They are sitting at center ice waiting for a stretch pass.   

This series may be closer than people are suggesting.  When Smith played lights out last playoffs, they couldn't win in OT.  This year, Smith has started playing back to that level again.  We all know what Smith does in the playoffs.  Can't keep his hands off the puck and makes one good save but makes the next 5 look like he's amazing.      

LA has all of the earmarks of a good team. I had them pegged for 4th without seeing Vegas fall so far.

Danault has been a great add and will be annoying in the playoffs again.

The Oilers definitely can't look past them. Great leadership, good mix of vets to <25yo players and good goaltending tandem.

That roster looks like a handful to me.

10 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

LA has all of the earmarks of a good team. I had them pegged for 4th without seeing Vegas fall so far.

The Oilers definitely can't look past them. Great leadership, good mix of vets to <25yo players and good goaltending tandem.

They got back Brownie and Happytoseeyou.  Although recent wins have been against lesser teams, they seem to be rounding into the usual stingy team.  They don't have the players TSN loves to talk about, they are a lot tougher than their overall record implies. 

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I agree. it should be a tight series that I think will come down to goaltending and special teams. I do think the Kings are missing Doughty but their goaltending hasn't been very good lately while the Oilers has been very good. See which trend continues.