GDT Oilers @ FLAMES Sat 26 Mar 2022

rocketdoctor

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Why did the Oilers give Smith a two year deal?  Was there competition for him or something?

The best I can think is that they knew they were losing Kostco, so they thought they could use Smith to span the gap.  The gap being between the posts.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

The best I can think is that they knew they were losing Kostco, so they thought they could use Smith to span the gap.  The gap being between the posts.

the oilers are like the Flames have been with goalies until we got Markstrom.

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

the oilers are like the Flames have been with goalies until we got Markstrom.

You mean picking up scraps?

What I don't get is that they had a huge offer for Marky.

He wasn't going to go there, but they went out and did nothing uselful?

Even this year, when a goalie could have been had during the year or at TDL, they wanted a F?

And another D?

Don't get me wrong, I think Kulak was a good add, but they should have traded a F and D.

Sharks picked up a .910 goalie and a pick for a player.

I really hope we can re-sign Johnny. He is unreal! I always thought Monahan was stifling him. Monahan is a great shot but Johnny needs what he is getting. Maybe adding Tkachuk to Monahan and Gaudreau would have been enough, but I feel Lindholm gives them the D presence needed and some mobility up the ice for more options. Johnny hadn’t had those options before due to lack of mobility on C…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Even this year, when a goalie could have been had during the year or at TDL, they wanted a F?

And another D?

Don't get me wrong, I think Kulak was a good add, but they should have traded a F and D.

yup! I agree! Not that I want them to get better lol! Let them frown and drown.

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I really hope we can re-sign Johnny. He is unreal! I always thought Monahan was stifling him. Monahan is a great shot but Johnny needs what he is getting. Maybe adding Tkachuk to Monahan and Gaudreau would have been enough, but I feel Lindholm gives them the D presence needed and some mobility up the ice for more options. Johnny hadn’t had those options before due to lack of mobility on C…

His coaching has been a lot better.  Sutter is the kind of coach that Johnny loves.  Tough, no nonsense.

Yes, the difference has been a top line of elite players that have hard shots.

I think Monahan was last at the top of his game in 18/19, when he was in on rush scoring.

So, it's hard to really compare too critically.

Lindholm is a way better 2 way C.

Without Lindholm, Gaudreau doesn;t have that 2nd pass option.

I think Johnny with Backlund and Tkachuk would be a close 2nd to the way the top line is.

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

yup! I agree! Not that I want them to get better lol! Let them frown and drown.

I was shocked they didn't fix it in the summer.

They had $28M in cap an look worse than last year.

I like Hyman, but getting another forwward to score with McD or Drai wasn;t the problem.

COnsidering who he plays with and all the PP time, I am shocked he only has 43 points.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

And another D?

As bad as the goalies are the defense was also horrendous. That Nurse contract hasn't even kicked in, Ceci another solid pickup -5 tonight.  Need a save for sure, but maybe the worst defense I've seen in a long time.

23 minutes ago, sak22 said:

As bad as the goalies are the defense was also horrendous. That Nurse contract hasn't even kicked in, Ceci another solid pickup -5 tonight.  Need a save for sure, but maybe the worst defense I've seen in a long time.

Yeah, I wasn't really picking on the goalies, when I talked about Smitty.  Was in relation to them not fixing a glaring problem.  A good goalie and the results could be a lot different.  Not this game, but when then stunk out their games earlier.  Smitty was bad tonight, but the game was over before he started.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Yeah, I wasn't really picking on the goalies, when I talked about Smitty.  Was in relation to them not fixing a glaring problem.  A good goalie and the results could be a lot different.  Not this game, but when then stunk out their games earlier.  Smitty was bad tonight, but the game was over before he started.

i think it could’ve made this game different though. On a few goals I felt the way the goalies played it was horrible. If they played good structure as goalies I think they make a few more saves that ended up goals. I don’t mean to dismiss their D’s play because it was bad too. I just felt their goalies were swimming on at least 3 before the Flames pulled away.

Some absolute gold from Sutter in the presser.  Watch it on the Flame website.

I thought he would be pissed, but he was funny as heck.

And he liked the game we played.

Asked about what part he didn't like.

Said the black hats on the ice, must have been a giveaway in Leduc.

Praised the team, for scoring 9 even.

Said they played much better than the other team at evens and that was the difference.

Someone asked about if he saw this as a prelude to a possible playoff matchup.

He said both team need to make the playoffs and that may not happen. 

Other than them scoring 3 on the PP, we kept their scoring at evens to 2.

Not much you can do about that.

Didn't like the Zaddy giveaway.

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i think it could’ve made this game different though. On a few goals I felt the way the goalies played it was horrible. If they played good structure as goalies I think they make a few more saves that ended up goals. I don’t mean to dismiss their D’s play because it was bad too. I just felt their goalies were swimming on at least 3 before the Flames pulled away.

First goal was tough for them.  He almost had it.

The 2nd goal was off Nurse's stick and in, but was first booted to a bad spot by goalie..

The 3rd goal was a snipe that not many goalie save, but Backs had 3 seconds to pick his spot; no D.

The 4th goal was a firedrill in front of their net, with nobody doing anything.

The 5th goal a ban bang play, with Tkachuk alone.

The 6th goal was Tkachuk alone and went 5 hole.

I might be mixing up the Backlund goals.

One of them and Dube's weren't strong goaltending but really bad D.

An when I say D, I mean the entire team.

The Oilers cheat to offense too quickly.

Hang goalies out to dry.

Not a strng game by either, but they had a chance to win.

Preferred to only look to score and not worry about the zone.

9 goals 5v5 is a statement.

And I don't think they would love to hear that.

Consider this game a statement as to why McD doesn't win the Hart.

We had excuses to lose, they had none.