GDT Oilers @ FLAMES Sat 26 Mar 2022

rocketdoctor

Definetlh sloppy for both teams but on a back to back against a good team sometimes you just need to find a way to win. Flames deserve a ton of credit for finding a way to win and just battling. 
Flames were a little lucky in the first when the oilers were all over them but that happens. 
But holy moly are the Oilers a hot mess in their own zone. Should have gotten some more saves yes but they gave up a ton of quality chances. 

Not the best effort from the Flames for playing a discipled game as there were a number of mistakes, but they still  won 9 - 5, on a back to back game...   They still did a lot of things right, more than enough to balance out the mistakes...

The refs sucked, but it seems like all too often, that is to be expected...

Last but not least...   The Oilers were on the receiving end of a beatdown from their top rival that had just played the night before...   The Oil gave it their best effort, and it wasn't even close to being enough...   That should let some air out of their tires, as the seeds of doubt were once again planted, watered and given plenty of sunshine...

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Take the points. Damn that was some fugly hockey.

Went to Friday's Sting game that ended 9-8 for Saginaw in OT.

Sounds entertaining? Mistake-riddled hockey is hard to watch.

Happy to win, but damn.

The only thing that was close was the 1st period, where the Oilers tried to impose their will.  The only even strength goals they scored.  After that, the careless and ticky tacks call for and non against kept it close.  But for every PP goal they scored to even it up, we scored to get the lead.  Chased Kostco after 5, the last being a 5 hole.  

The mistakes the Flames made were overly not worrysome.  The first goal was Tanev not boxing out Brassard on a topped shot.  The 2nd goal was a missed check by Lucic followed by Zaddy giving DRai too much space to work with.  The rest for 5v4 or a 5v3 goal against.  For all the hooks, hacks and trips we received, we got called for almost every one we returned.  Tollofi's was weak.  Mange's was after being layed on.  Guddy's two were obvious.  Backlund's was stupid.  Gaudreau was hacked in the neck on a rush and nothing. 

Backlund was in the box for one PPG against as was Guddy.  The latter was the 2 man advantage for 1:57.

Aside from that, it was as close to a 9-2 beatdown as you could imagine.  I don't have the stats, but we dominated for long stretches.  The first was the only really close period at even strength.  Sutter loved the game.   

EDIT - mixed up things on the Mange penalty.  He tripped Bouchard, but it was as much as dive as anything.  

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The only thing that was close was the 1st period, where the Oilers tried to impose their will.  The only even strength goals they scored.  After that, the careless and ticky tacks call for and non against kept it close.  But for every PP goal they scored to even it up, we scored to get the lead.  Chased Kostco after 5, the last being a 5 hole.  

The mistakes the Flames made were overly not worrysome.  The first goal was Tanev not boxing out Brassard on a topped shot.  The 2nd goal was a missed check by Lucic followed by Zaddy giving DRai too much space to work with.  The rest for 5v4 or a 5v3 goal against.  For all the hooks, hacks and trips we received, we got called for almost every one we returned.  Tollofi's was weak.  Mange's was after being layed on.  Guddy's two were obvious.  Backlund's was stupid.  Gaudreau was hacked in the neck on a rush and nothing. 

Backlund was in the box for one PPG against as was Guddy.  The latter was the 2 man advantage for 1:57.

Aside from that, it was as close to a 9-2 beatdown as you could imagine.  I don't have the stats, but we dominated for long stretches.  The first was the only really close period at even strength.  Sutter loved the game.   

EDIT - mixed up things on the Mange penalty.  He tripped Bouchard, but it was as much as dive as anything.  

i felt the same on the hit to McD , a dive. Sure he got bumped, but he’s the best most strongest on his feet. He knew what he was doing. Backlund still should have probably left him alone there but I felt it was a heavy bump and not an actual hit. 

the game went from whistles away playoff reffing to, oh, let’s call the little cheap stuff on the Flames and only egregious ones on the oilers. We ended up getting PP’s but…

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i felt the same on the hit to McD , a dive. Sure he got bumped, but he’s the best most strongest on his feet. He knew what he was doing. Backlund still should have probably left him alone there but I felt it was a heavy bump and not an actual hit. 

the game went from whistles away playoff reffing to, oh, let’s call the little cheap stuff on the Flames and only egregious ones on the oilers. We ended up getting PP’s but…

For sure it was a dumb hit with 30 seconds left in a period, but it was less of a pick that finishing a check.  McD had the puck when Backlund was lining him up.  You knew the call was coming even if he embellished it.  

I hope we don't get Lee again as a ref.  He is blatantly anti-Flames.  I'll take the Guddy x 2, the Backlund calls, but the rest were iffy.  The obvious non call on the too many men.  Some pretty obvious hacks (Guadreau hacked in the neck), trips went uncalled.  I don't really car, but it was a bad look.

15 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think he tried to sell head contact there, which I didn't feel there was any.  It was very dumb on Backlund and easily an interference, so hard to argue against calling that.

I thing I noticed after Leon picked up the hattrick he had 4 points in 12 minutes of ice time, at that point Johnny had 4 points as well in 6 minutes of icetime.  I don't know if it is greater praise for Johnny to be 4 points back of Leon and 7 back of Connor and to have played almost 300 minutes less than them, despite being even in games played with Connor and only one less than Leon.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I think he tried to sell head contact there, which I didn't feel there was any.  It was very dumb on Backlund and easily an interference, so hard to argue against calling that.

I thing I noticed after Leon picked up the hattrick he had 4 points in 12 minutes of ice time, at that point Johnny had 4 points as well in 6 minutes of icetime.  I don't know if it is greater praise for Johnny to be 4 points back of Leon and 7 back of Connor and to have played almost 300 minutes less than them, despite being even in games played with Connor and only one less than Leon.

The impact of having a one line team or more appropriately, a 2 player team, is that they overplay them.  Most minutes of any forwards in the NHL.  And they wonder why they never do damage in the playoffs.  Gaudreau also has far less PP points than either.  Ahead of McD by 12 with 70 5v5 points.  Leads the league at +49.  

If he doesn't have more Hart votes, it's a crime.  Sure it's a team game, but he stirs the drinks.

I have said this they say it but never fix it they are what calgary was a one line scoring team with a bit of scoring but not even close like the top line and they needs to split drai and mcd but the management dont get the right players in so that those to can be spread across the team more effectivly