Canadiens @ FLAMES Thursday 3 March 2022

rocketdoctor

Just now, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Some ones Marky should have had + a disjointed effort by the rest = a quick OT loss.  Vladars gotta start some of these games. Makes no sense to go into the playoffs with a burnt out Marky.

Agreed man.  But fans want to see their star goaltender in home games so usually the starter starts.  The Flames have a few home games coming up but once we go on the road, we should play Vladar... would suggest at least 30% of the games should go to Vladar the rest of the way.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Agreed man.  But fans want to see their star goaltender in home games so usually the starter starts.  The Flames have a few home games coming up but once we go on the road, we should play Vladar... would suggest at least 30% of the games should go to Vladar the rest of the way.

We get two B2B sets coming up.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

The D played Backlund when he had the puck.

Didn't do much, but Backlund had the chance to reverse t to the goalie or the trailer.

Skated like a family skate coming back.

No, just rewinded my stream to see it again. Backlund tripped himself on the back of Chiarot's skates and fell.  He couldn't get back in the play after that... but yes, that's a stupid play to give up possession of the puck behind the net.

Hanifin did something as dumb earlier in the season in OT and I haven't seen him ever in OT again.  Backlund should not play OT again... 

Also, Toffoli played the 2-on-1 wrong in my opinion.  He should've defended the pass the whole way because help was so clearly a stride too far away.  Andersson wasn't going to be able to get back quick enough and Toffoli should've understood this.  Give Markstrom the shooter and just prevent the pass across instead.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

No, just rewinded my stream to see it again. Backlund tripped himself on the back of Chiarot's skates and fell.  He couldn't get back in the play after that... but yes, that's a stupid play to give up possession of the puck behind the net.

Hanifin did something as dumb earlier in the season in OT and I haven't seen him ever in OT again.  Backlund should not play OT again... 

I didn't see him fall.

Saw him skating slowly back only.

Backlund with Tkachuk in OT, Backlund falls, goal against.

Why do we bother,

Right, because Ruze did something a cpuple of games ago.

If you want to use Backlund, use him for the draw and swap him off.

Van and Montreal loses are exactly the way this club use to play. This game was one that this club thought and played like they could coast to a win. The next few games are going to be ones that will be measuring sticks for this club,4 games in 5 days COL, Coilers, Washinton and Tampa, we get smoked with an effort like tonights.  Most of the year we have bought and I like the style which is effective. I get bad habits come back but we have to play a certian way to win. Sutter made referance to in his presser, these habits he thought he had worked out of them. A one off I can understand but we have an habit of playing down to our competition. Lets hope we don't see this effort movign forward. Wrong time of the season to start bringing back the bad habits again. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

So what, I miss a game and we fall apart? wtf. lol

You disappear for a day, Dome is inhabited with a bunch of screaming Habs fans, we take a stupid amount of penalties, and we blow the home win streak.  Next thing you know, JJ will be back telling us how bad a team we have and we need to re-build.

Seriously though, Lindholm was the only thing carrying the top line for most of the night.  On for three against.  Markstrom was good enough to keep us in the game in the first.  He started losing his net and scrambled a bit much.  His penalty was caused by that and that led to another 5v3 PK; goal score on that kill.

I wouldn't say we were overconfident; it looked like we came out of a break and were forgetting what we do to win games.  Montreal is aggressive at the blueline, so without support a F is going to get picked off and play goes the other way.

Some player notes:

Lucic - turnover machine, couldn't make many good passes either

Monahan - slow coming back on at least one goal

Lewis - looks like he is playing by himself out there, had a couple of good chances

Johnny - too much E/W and not enough N/S; picked off at least twice

Tkachuk - didn't see much out of him

Richardson - the between the legs stuff is fine if you can do it, but when you need a goal and you are alone, shoot

Ritchie - Les sigh; useless

Backlund - good mostly, but played OT shift like it was 5v5 and wanted to dump the puck to get off

The rest of the team played well but each probably made a few mistakes.  Lindy, Coleman, Mange were the reasons we had three of the goals.  Johnny had a couple good shifts but not much else.     

31 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You disappear for a day, Dome is inhabited with a bunch of screaming Habs fans, we take a stupid amount of penalties, and we blow the home win streak.  Next thing you know, JJ will be back telling us how bad a team we have and we need to re-build.

Seriously though, Lindholm was the only thing carrying the top line for most of the night.  On for three against.  Markstrom was good enough to keep us in the game in the first.  He started losing his net and scrambled a bit much.  His penalty was caused by that and that led to another 5v3 PK; goal score on that kill.

I wouldn't say we were overconfident; it looked like we came out of a break and were forgetting what we do to win games.  Montreal is aggressive at the blueline, so without support a F is going to get picked off and play goes the other way.

Some player notes:

Lucic - turnover machine, couldn't make many good passes either

Monahan - slow coming back on at least one goal

Lewis - looks like he is playing by himself out there, had a couple of good chances

Johnny - too much E/W and not enough N/S; picked off at least twice

Tkachuk - didn't see much out of him

Richardson - the between the legs stuff is fine if you can do it, but when you need a goal and you are alone, shoot

Ritchie - Les sigh; useless

Backlund - good mostly, but played OT shift like it was 5v5 and wanted to dump the puck to get off

The rest of the team played well but each probably made a few mistakes.  Lindy, Coleman, Mange were the reasons we had three of the goals.  Johnny had a couple good shifts but not much else.     

Great summary TD. I missed the live game last night as well. Kyller was falling all over the place last night it seemed... skate sharpening issue or "body" issue? We were definitely puck watching all night - 4 guys back in the defensive zone all looking at the puck carrier, and a pass goes to an open player who scores. Missed assignments and poor structure. Backs made a poor decision and play in OT... but what other C do we have to play in such situations? Mony is a trigger man - he can't carry the puck or cycle or play defense, he would only work well with Johnny because Johnny does all those things - so he is NOT a viable option. Dube may be the next best option for C duty in a 3-on-3. And while I know 3-on-3 doesn't happen in the playoffs, this situation does speak to our need for C depth. 

43 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Great summary TD. I missed the live game last night as well. Kyller was falling all over the place last night it seemed... skate sharpening issue or "body" issue? We were definitely puck watching all night - 4 guys back in the defensive zone all looking at the puck carrier, and a pass goes to an open player who scores. Missed assignments and poor structure. Backs made a poor decision and play in OT... but what other C do we have to play in such situations? Mony is a trigger man - he can't carry the puck or cycle or play defense, he would only work well with Johnny because Johnny does all those things - so he is NOT a viable option. Dube may be the next best option for C duty in a 3-on-3. And while I know 3-on-3 doesn't happen in the playoffs, this situation does speak to our need for C depth. 

I tend to think a bit out of the box.

Johnny should never start an OT shift from the faceoff.  If we lose the draw, we defend for his entire shift.  Usually he is gassed unless we strip the puck early.  Put a defensive winger out there and change to Johnny when we get the puck.  

Monahan and Backlund were good on the dot, as was Lindy.  

Monahan-Coleman

Backlund-Mange

Lindy-Gaudreau

Lindy-Toffoli

Monahan-Johnny

Hanifin is a poor choice for OT, but Kyler was having a bit of an off game.  He's the best skater on the team but was maybe hitting ruts.  He's high risk/high reward, but is suited for an open ice shift.  

We are only built for 3v3 OT in a possession situation.  We have speed on the wings, but only shown in a longer OT period.