GDT - Ducks @ FLAMES Weds 16 February 2022

rocketdoctor

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Gaudreau in 3rd place in league scoring.

3 back of the top scoring trio.

How crazy is that

And rising.

Not surprised one bit. He's seeing the play seconds ahead of everyone else on the ice. He loses the puck he runs back and takes it back. What a treat to watch for any hockey fan.

Another game another win.

Great performance by the PK unit and the top line gets it done once again.

Though they got away from the details a bit in the third period, and definitely can't be taking so many penalties but a W is a W.

Padding the lead at the top of the divison, the Avs are up right now so potentially widening the gap.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't know if Sutter tries this next game, but it made some difference when we were faltering a bit:

JH-Lindy-Tkachuk

Mangiapane-Monahan-Dube

Lucic-Backlund-Toffoli

Coleman-Ruzie-Lewis

Might just have been due to the B2B and running on fumes, but it helped.

I think it was more of a fatigue thing. Controlling mins by putting the 3 fatigued together in the 3rd. Coleman looked great with Ruzicka and Lewis though. They ate up good 3rd period minutes.

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

And rising.

Not surprised one bit. He's seeing the play seconds ahead of everyone else on the ice. He loses the puck he runs back and takes it back. What a treat to watch for any hockey fan.

If people aren;t saying Johhny Hart, I don;t know if they acrually watch hockey games.

McDavid 66 points, +9

Drauisaitl 66 points +6

Gaudreau 63 points +39

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If people aren;t saying Johhny Hart, I don;t know if they acrually watch hockey games.

McDavid 66 points, +9

Drauisaitl 66 points +6

Gaudreau 63 points +39

The difference between elite offensive talents when one is interested in keeping the puck out of his own net.

Stellar numbers.

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I think it was more of a fatigue thing. Controlling mins by putting the 3 fatigued together in the 3rd. Coleman looked great with Ruzicka and Lewis though. They ate up good 3rd period minutes.

I agree and would just add it was a pretty heavy special teams game too. I thought that was just Sutter managing minutes than it was anything else.

For a B2B I thought it was an excellent effort. They faded at times but you expect that, Markstrom shut the door when he had to but the Flames also stepped on the gas when they needed to as well.  What a job by the PK, not only to kill those early penalties but to kill them with hardly allowing any chances. Impressive work from that unit last night. Only thing for me in this game was penalties. Sutter can't be happy about that as many of them were bad penalties to take. Need to clean that up.

I thought the Ducks were fun to watch too. Fast, aggressive, high pressure. Could be a real good team in a year or 2 if they can add a high end piece. 

• Like 1

Been some good hockey to watch of late, its like a breath of fresh air actually. What I am starting to see that is similar to the Kings team when they won. On the Kings runs the capilaized on turnovers constantly, the only caveat is this club is scoring at a more profiecient rate. The only down sided I see is that this club gets this swagger of beign to offensive and gets below coverage at times which creates odd man rushes. When Sutter won twice this was never an issue, it was a rearity they had a defensive break down, plus they were a little bit harder on the forcheck as they were built for that. I think this is what Sutter speaks of as we still have a ways to go. They look good to very good some nights, however in a playoff style games, mistakes, poor coverage and neutral zone turnovers are where the game is won. Currently we are the ones winning those battles. 

• Like 1

A player who I don't think is getting enough credit this year is Rasmus Anderson.

3 points last night and IMO was the best Flames on the ice not named Markstrom

11 pts in his last 13 games

12th best dman in the league for expected goals for/60

20th best dman in the league for Expected goals For%

30th best dman in the league for High danger chances For

Leads all Flames Dmen (and players for that matter) for Time on Ice at 22:26

2nd Highest Avg TOI at 5 on 5 (behind only Tanev)

On pace for a career high 47 points. 

Tremendous bounce back season for Andersson. I think he's been a key player for them in transition this year and why their attack is so balanced and consistent. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I agree and would just add it was a pretty heavy special teams game too. I thought that was just Sutter managing minutes than it was anything else.

For a B2B I thought it was an excellent effort. They faded at times but you expect that, Markstrom shut the door when he had to but the Flames also stepped on the gas when they needed to as well.  What a job by the PK, not only to kill those early penalties but to kill them with hardly allowing any chances. Impressive work from that unit last night. Only thing for me in this game was penalties. Sutter can't be happy about that as many of them were bad penalties to take. Need to clean that up.

I thought the Ducks were fun to watch too. Fast, aggressive, high pressure. Could be a real good team in a year or 2 if they can add a high end piece. 

Sometimes the B2B results in a bit of loss of position and results in bad penalties.  The careless elbow was bad, but it was the end of the sequence.  Lindholm's was a little more concerning.  Not sure how it transpired.  Sutter was pissed at the Ruzie penalty being called a high stick double minor.  He may have had some reduced minutes, but not really that much less than 3rd line guys.

The Ducks will be good if they can get a replacement for Getz.  He still has game but Milano and Zegras are the future.  And they have some good D, as is usual with that team.  

39 minutes ago, cross16 said:

A player who I don't think is getting enough credit this year is Rasmus Anderson.

3 points last night and IMO was the best Flames on the ice not named Markstrom

11 pts in his last 13 games

12th best dman in the league for expected goals for/60

20th best dman in the league for Expected goals For%

30th best dman in the league for High danger chances For

Leads all Flames Dmen (and players for that matter) for Time on Ice at 22:26

2nd Highest Avg TOI at 5 on 5 (behind only Tanev)

On pace for a career high 47 points. 

Tremendous bounce back season for Andersson. I think he's been a key player for them in transition this year and why their attack is so balanced and consistent. 

I'm not going to blame Gio for his game last year, but getting him away from that has given Ras the freedom to make decisions and use the players out there.  I am not in favor of bringing back Gio.  I think that would be a bad decision and take away from the room.

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm not going to blame Gio for his game last year, but getting him away from that has given Ras the freedom to make decisions and use the players out there.  I am not in favor of bringing back Gio.  I think that would be a bad decision and take away from the room.

i agree. Ras wasn’t able to be himself. He is kind of a right side Gio. They play similar. Have the iq to know when to jump. 

i think if they took their moments it could have worked with both jumping in but definitely not at the same time. Maybe that would have come with time. But I agree, getting Gio back undermines what is happening this year. 

i would rather get a bottom pair D who is ok to sit out. What is happening right now, I don’t want to disturb it. How good Kylington plays, it would suck to push him down a slot. And Zadorov is making a case with his play too.

to me, the D’s play earlier in the season were playing to get the system. Once they got the system, Sutter said ok, now you can do this because we need it, we need that offence from the D.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i agree. Ras wasn’t able to be himself. He is kind of a right side Gio. They play similar. Have the iq to know when to jump. 

i think if they took their moments it could have worked with both jumping in but definitely not at the same time. Maybe that would have come with time. But I agree, getting Gio back undermines what is happening this year. 

i would rather get a bottom pair D who is ok to sit out. What is happening right now, I don’t want to disturb it. How good Kylington plays, it would suck to push him down a slot. And Zadorov is making a case with his play too.

to me, the D’s play earlier in the season were playing to get the system. Once they got the system, Sutter said ok, now you can do this because we need it, we need that offence from the D.

They have poked at Ras and other D not jumping up and not shooting.

The defensive side has not suffered as a result.

Personally, I think Brodie was the only one to be able to offset Gio.

Tanev is as solid as Gio was, just not the offense,

Even he was not able to offset Gio.

I am less worried about our D taking penalties in the playoffs than I am about the regular season.

The D are playing within their capabilities.

We see mistakes, but also see recovering from that.

Other than lack of depth beyond the top 6, I don't see any glaring deficiencies.

Stone, Valimaki and Mackey are there as a last resort.

That's not top 4 additional depth.

But very few (if any) teams have guys that can step into top 4 and be a true top 4.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

They have poked at Ras and other D not jumping up and not shooting.

The defensive side has not suffered as a result.

Personally, I think Brodie was the only one to be able to offset Gio.

Tanev is as solid as Gio was, just not the offense,

Even he was not able to offset Gio.

I am less worried about our D taking penalties in the playoffs than I am about the regular season.

The D are playing within their capabilities.

We see mistakes, but also see recovering from that.

Other than lack of depth beyond the top 6, I don't see any glaring deficiencies.

Stone, Valimaki and Mackey are there as a last resort.

That's not top 4 additional depth.

But very few (if any) teams have guys that can step into top 4 and be a true top 4.

The talking heads suggest we are looking for another D but I am content with what we have.

Stone for odd games is capable playing top 4.  I know Stone is not ideal but also Valimaki will come back with something to prove and could come into his own with more minutes if Sutter trusts. Mckay gives you a solid 3rd D men.  I see no point in wasting picks for more D men.   Sutter seems to be giving the dmen equal minuts in recent games. Zaddy's improved play has helped and Guddy reminds me of how we disliked Engelland trade but grew to appreciate him.

Slight concern might be if Kylington is cooling off over a longer 82 game season but I have not seen anything yet to suggest that is the case.

2 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

The talking heads suggest we are looking for another D but I am content with what we have.

Stone for odd games is capable playing top 4.  I know Stone is not ideal but also Valimaki will come back with something to prove and could come into his own with more minutes if Sutter trusts. Mckay gives you a solid 3rd D men.  I see no point in wasting picks for more D men.   Sutter seems to be giving the dmen equal minuts in recent games. Zaddy's improved play has helped and Guddy reminds me of how we disliked Engelland trade but grew to appreciate him.

Slight concern might be if Kylington is cooling off over a longer 82 game season but I have not seen anything yet to suggest that is the case.

The difference between Kylington of today and Kylington of season start is striking.

The questionable decisions are not there with any regularity.

He has gotten better IMHO.

When he gets burned in the O-zone, he is the first one back on the guy that burned him.

Guddy was perhaps maligned because of the teams he played on.  He has shown he is more than a tough player.  Zaddy is actually showing signs of offense.  He has cleaned up his defense somewhat.  I like to see him take out the other team players instead of allowing to wlk into the crease or generate chances.

4 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Never thought I would see this post!!

It was tongue in cheek.  But the strange thing is that he beat a player to the puck.  He's like a big truck that takes time to build speed.  He will never be one of the fastest, but when he gets rolling you don't slow him down with a stick.