GDT - Blue Jackets @ FLAMES - Tuesday 15 February 2022

rocketdoctor

Nice win and great to see TT chip in in his first game. 

Big confidence booster.

Glad to see Vladar get the start and W.

Marky again tomorrow against Anaheim.

Johnny is playing some world-class hockey right now. 

Encouraging considering the collective drop-off of our big guns around this time in 2019.

Team seems to be getting better as opposed to then.

When was the last time we could really roll 4 lines like this? Love that depth.

• Like 1

Wasn’t that great of a game. Wasn’t as fun as some of the others. We got a few very lucky bounces and goals their goalie should have saved. 

the game was a bit tighter than usual. They were using their stick very well, and not allowing clean passes. They tried. We are in a good place where we are getting the bounces, lucky to be good or good so we are lucky . 

im not saying we didn’t deserve to win. Vladar made some good saves. Our goalie was better than theirs and it was the difference. From what I saw it was an almost even game. 

• Like 1

``They're a powerhouse team,'' said Columbus coach Brad Larsen. ``They're big, they're strong, they've got a good balance of veteran guys. It's a pretty deep team. We can't have anybody not on board in that game, not one, to stay with them for 60 (minutes).''

6 hours ago, robrob74 said:

That Johnny pass to Toffoli was unreal! It was like a Hail Mary and Toffoli scored the TD!  What a goal. Great patience. 

That's all I could think. "I'm here for a pass".

"Yeah I'm just going to lift it over these 2 and land it on your stick".

Great hands by Toffoli.

I kinda wondered how long it would take for Johnny to give Toffoli his first, "holy Satoshi Nakamoto" moment. Not long.

6 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Wasn’t that great of a game. Wasn’t as fun as some of the others. We got a few very lucky bounces and goals their goalie should have saved. 

the game was a bit tighter than usual. They were using their stick very well, and not allowing clean passes. They tried. We are in a good place where we are getting the bounces, lucky to be good or good so we are lucky . 

im not saying we didn’t deserve to win. Vladar made some good saves. Our goalie was better than theirs and it was the difference. From what I saw it was an almost even game. 

The game seemed tighter.

But dominating on the shot clock in the 2nd and 3rd (17-4 and 12-4) doesn't seem tight.

We were as unlucky as lucky.

Dube had a clean look and it dribbled off his stick.

Backlund with an open net.

Couple of posties.

Vladar was good, but not great.

Elvis made as many good saves as he did, but he faced twice as many.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The game seemed tighter.

But dominating on the shot clock in the 2nd and 3rd (17-4 and 12-4) doesn't seem tight.

We were as unlucky as lucky.

Dube had a clean look and it dribbled off his stick.

Backlund with an open net.

Couple of posties.

Vladar was good, but not great.

Elvis made as many good saves as he did, but he faced twice as many.

What I was saying is, even so, it was a bit of a sloppy game on our part. Yes, a bit better in the 2nd, but their goalie let in a couple of really bad goals that any NHL goalie should make. And I think that was the difference. 

Although, it was a boring game and I fell asleep in the the 3rd. But I woke up as Johnny was skating out of the zone, and aired it up for Toffoli. And got to watch the goal. Maybe they played better as I was asleep. 

It just seemed like it was one of those games where the Flames were taking shots but not quality ones, and they did a good job of breaking up passes into the slot. So the flames were forced to shoot more perimeter. When the Flames do that, the game isn't as exciting. So credit to them for doing that because that's how you stop the flames and they tried to. 

First goal was legit. Lindholms goal they score on themselves, and the Ruzie's goal, the goalie should have had it, and I think there was another goal. That's at least 3 goals that shouldn't have been scored. 

And bad luck happens too.

I just think I am taking a Sutter's stance here, trying to keep things into perspective. While we got our 7th win in a row and that's awesome. The play could have been better and it's good to get these wins. The upside is, they can be a lot better and that means we can compete with the top 10 teams in the league. And right now, I'd say especially teams that are about 4-10 in the league standings. I just felt that there was some details in the game that weren't there is all, and that's maybe two games in a row that some of the details weren't there. Maybe you're right, they got crisper in play as I fell asleep. 

16 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

What I was saying is, even so, it was a bit of a sloppy game on our part. Yes, a bit better in the 2nd, but their goalie let in a couple of really bad goals that any NHL goalie should make. And I think that was the difference. 

Although, it was a boring game and I fell asleep in the the 3rd. 

Some games against structured teams look to be a bit sloppy.  

If we are doubling up the shots and our goalie was not outstanding, it seems to be more than just a bad goalie.

One went off his own player (wristed into the open side), one was a slick move by Toffoli, one was a two on zero back and forth from Johnny.  The Guddy wrister was not a great look, nor was the Ruzie shot.  The Dube goal was a hard wrister that a lot of goalies let in.  It was only really a close game for a period.

The difference was that we took over the game after the first and gave them nothing at all after the Dube goal.  

I mean it is February why should they be playing their best hockey right now? There will always be things to clean up but overall I feel like it it's getting very nit picky to find something negative about this team. over the last 10 games at 5 on 5 Flames are:

1st in the NHL in Corsi F%, Fenwck F%, Shots f%, Exp goals for%, Scoring chances for %, high danger chances %, high danger chances for.

2nd in the NHL in expected goals against, high danger chances against, 

3rd in the NHL in scoring chances against. 

The puck is going in at a likely unsustainable rate for them right now but this has been a well earned winning streak. The have been extremely good at 5 on 5.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I mean it is February why should they be playing their best hockey right now? There will always be things to clean up but overall I feel like it it's getting very nit picky to find something negative about this team. over the last 10 games at 5 on 5 Flames are:

1st in the NHL in Corsi F%, Fenwck F%, Shots f%, Exp goals for%, Scoring chances for %, high danger chances %, high danger chances for.

2nd in the NHL in expected goals against, high danger chances against, 

3rd in the NHL in scoring chances against. 

The puck is going in at a likely unsustainable rate for them right now but this has been a well earned winning streak. The have been extremely good at 5 on 5.

so why are you allowed to critique when they have a bit go off the rails slightly and they still win? You’ve done it too. 

just because I see something that’s a little different I’m not ok to be a fan? They played teams not at their best and got wins. They played teams who were on back to backs and got wins. We won on a big back to back. We also won against teams that aren’t playoff teams. They are good fancy stats. It’s great! 

im not saying I’m not loving it when they win, it’s great they’re winning in all of these different ways. But other teams have not always played up to their potency either in some of them. You can say it was the Flames stifling them, but I just don’t think that is it. The best they can do is continue to play their game. It will be best way to win.

55 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

so why are you allowed to critique when they have a bit go off the rails slightly and they still win? You’ve done it too. 

just because I see something that’s a little different I’m not ok to be a fan? They played teams not at their best and got wins. They played teams who were on back to backs and got wins. We won on a big back to back. We also won against teams that aren’t playoff teams. They are good fancy stats. It’s great! 

im not saying I’m not loving it when they win, it’s great they’re winning in all of these different ways. But other teams have not always played up to their potency either in some of them. You can say it was the Flames stifling them, but I just don’t think that is it. The best they can do is continue to play their game. It will be best way to win.

Who said you can't? I didn't love their game against Toronto either and while there were some trends you didn't like they also got it corrected these last few games. Mistakes are always going to exist, just a question of how many and what the trend is. 

At the end of the day even if you put the wins aside and look at how the team is playing there are a ton of positives and IMO when you look at how they are playing the schedule, backs to backs and opponents don't matter. Control what you can control is all you can do and the Flames are doing that at a high level right now. 

I feel the need to jump in here because I too saw some differences in our play against CBJ. Things that were uncharacteristic given the consistency the team has been showing lately. The confidence is ripe right now, and the looseness of the group (which is an incredibly good thing) also allows for some lax when it comes to details. I love that we're 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in all the stats out there, so I'm not arguing we didn't play well. I, like Rob, noticed some missing details, that's all. We hope this is a one-of, and doesn't turn into that season where we were riding high, became loose on our details, and got crushed in the playoffs. With Sutter at the helm, I have faith he's addressed the minutia Rob and I are talking about. Call it, preventative maintenance for sustainability. ;) 

Go Flames Go! :)

1 hour ago, LouCifer said:

I feel the need to jump in here because I too saw some differences in our play against CBJ. Things that were uncharacteristic given the consistency the team has been showing lately. The confidence is ripe right now, and the looseness of the group (which is an incredibly good thing) also allows for some lax when it comes to details. I love that we're 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in all the stats out there, so I'm not arguing we didn't play well. I, like Rob, noticed some missing details, that's all. We hope this is a one-of, and doesn't turn into that season where we were riding high, became loose on our details, and got crushed in the playoffs. With Sutter at the helm, I have faith he's addressed the minutia Rob and I are talking about. Call it, preventative maintenance for sustainability. ;) 

Go Flames Go! :)

There is no utopian game that gets played in the NHL.

We have seen a few games this year and remarked that was the best game ever.

And ones that we have shaken our heads.

Players make mistakes and make up for them.

If they don't then we see strings of losses or wins that should have been losses.

I can't remember any recently that I felt they did more good than bad.

The string of 4 loses in early January was just that.  Early January.

Come back from COVID after almost a month and play 5 in a row on the road.

After that 2 singles games in 2 weeks.

I felt the game against EDM was us winning the game if not for a pick play that gave them a lead.

After that 1 loss in 10 games.

There's always a chance to improve little details.

Nobody is claiming we are perfect.