Maple Leafs @ FLAMES - Thursday 10 February 2022

rocketdoctor

8 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I'm not sure blowing up Vegas and TML on back-to-back is a great way to lay low, but here we are.

I expected to blow Toronto out tbh. I half-expected 7.

It's about time we destroy everyone on our rink.

How much fun is this?

I would have been happy with just the Vegas win, for points in the west sake.

We had a built in excuse to show poorly.

Losing to them would have bothered me, but only becuase it gives TSN more crap to peddle.

I am not excatly sure what clicked.

We have not been winning a lot at home, but then again they were so few and far between.

How do you get on a home roll when you barely get two together.

We miss out on playing the Oilers at home in December and get stuck playing in their barn again.

Is it me or does having fans around cause the Flames to play tough.

Zaddy, Guddy, Lucic, you name it.

When we play tough and smart, we can win games like this.

I wasn;t a fan of some of our D-zone play, what with the 2 foot passes to TO players.

But we just looked at times like we were trying to transition without the extra bit of energy required.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would have been happy with just the Vegas win, for points in the west sake.

We had a built in excuse to show poorly.

Losing to them would have bothered me, but only becuase it gives TSN more crap to peddle.

I am not excatly sure what clicked.

We have not been winning a lot at home, but then again they were so few and far between.

How do you get on a home roll when you barely get two together.

We miss out on playing the Oilers at home in December and get stuck playing in their barn again.

Is it me or does having fans around cause the Flames to play tough.

Zaddy, Guddy, Lucic, you name it.

When we play tough and smart, we can win games like this.

I wasn;t a fan of some of our D-zone play, what with the 2 foot passes to TO players.

But we just looked at times like we were trying to transition without the extra bit of energy required.

It's fun to watch. Who expected all 4 of those points?

Big props to Markstrom. Superfun.

Ok this is the first game I managed to see in a while, and I have to say I noticed a huge difference in this team and the way they played…the 3rd And 1st think you could see a bit of fatigue from a back to back but otherwise that’s second period was really good for the most part and they stuck it out the rest of the game and grounded it out. But some things I noticed about a few players:

1. Dube was almost invisible…not

sure what’s going on there…

2. Monahan is perplexing, on one hand he seems faster and better with out the puck, but seems to be a touch off in terms

of confidence and timing, which seem to be inter-related from Watching him play. The other thing is he’s kinda driving the play but seems to pull up just short on the play…again confidence and timing? I’m not sure if it’s something the coach needs to address or if it’s a personal thing he needs to figure out.  Either way, if whatever is causing this with him were to be fixed, omg he and his line mates would have a considerable more points…I do wonder if Moving Dube or Lucic or both may help this, maybe they are just all off in terms

of chemistry…maybe it’s Monahan causing the lack of Chemistry as the Ctr for Monahan and Dube? hard to say but, I do think Monahan could do with better wingers and that could really improve the 3rd line and we would See Monahan scoring and assisting more. As for Monahan, I’m thinking he needs more of a chip on his shoulder…which brings me

to my next point..

3. Backlund has a chip on his shoulder as of late and it’s improved his game to as good as it’s ever been.

4. Lucic again, not a bad player and he really should be on the 4th line, he’s physically engaged, plays a responsible but he’s just not an offensive player anymore…on that note, he really seems to play well with Lewis and Ritchie so why not just plant him on the 4th with them…yes I know it’s kinda a slow moving “goon squad” make up but they all play a very good checking and shutdown type game, and seems to all play with some

chemistry as a checking shutdown type line, so it’s not just a “goon” line.

with all that being said, and I know Monahan is one of our better FO guys, I can’t help but feel that 3rd line would be far more More Effective if:

Dube/Ruzi/Monahan 

and the 4th line would be a great shutdown line:

Lucic/Lewis/Ritchie 

On that note, Lucic and Dube could rotate as needed cause that 4th line could

have issues with really fast teams so Being able to switch Dube and Lucic would be a huge key to that setup…it’s either this or some trades are needed to get that 3rd line rolling..it’s frustrating cause you can see it’s almost but not quite clicking.

anyway just my take away from the game, everyone else is if nothing else solid, Ruzi was involved off and on, most of the D was noticed, especially big Z, and Tanev was incredibly with the strip on Mariner! The only D I didn’t notice was Gubs…having said that I didn’t notice him for good or bad reasons so I’d have to say he played, if nothing else, at least responsible. 

All and all I think this game may have looked a lot different if not for Markstrom, but on that note, if not a back to back, it could have been a whole game more

like the 2nd where they seemed to control most of the play.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Must post this here for hit of the year candidate.

This..and he was also pulling guys off

Markstrom a few times in the 3rd and protecting that net…he needs to do theses things every game..he had a really great game, even noticed him a bit on the offensive tonight but clearly his checking and keeping our crease safe is his bread and butter.

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Now we are 2nd in Pacific.

Still have games in hand on LA and ANA.

3 back of Vegas with 4 games in hand.

5th in the west by Points %

They keep this going and they are in great position come TDL to not only be in the play offs but actually take a run at it..

I see them taking and holding the division, but not the conference, Col and Min are looking like the teams they really need to measure up to…and they can’t afford to take Stl, LVK or Dal lightly either, but I think if they play honest games against Stl, LVK or Dal they can beat them Col and to a lesser degree Min are the two teams in the west that I think Cgy will have trouble with.  the fix for this is that 3rd line needs to start clicking, either by trades or moving a few guys around…but it definitely needs to produce more and more often.

Well when your hot you're hot. I don't think the Flames are really playing great right now but finding ways to win. Pucks going in and Markstrom come out of the break much better than when he went in, which is great to see. 2 Back to back really good games from him so hopefully this is him entering into a bit of a zone and they can balance out the goalies a little better now that the schedule is going to get intense. 

Wasn't the cleanest game  and there are a few worrying trends in their defensive right now that I'm sure Sutter will want to correct but happens throughout the course of a season. Also need to give credit to the Leafs. They make zone entries very difficult for the Flames and their PK was stellar. 

On the Z hit while I do think it's clean based on the rules I don't like it and that should be the type of hit the NHL wants out of the game. But based on the current rules I don't see anything there that they can use to punish at all. 

3 hours ago, MP5029 said:

2. Monahan is perplexing, on one hand he seems faster and better with out the puck, but seems to be a touch off in terms

of confidence and timing, which seem to be inter-related from Watching him play. The other thing is he’s kinda driving the play but seems to pull up just short on the play…again confidence and timing? I’m not sure if it’s something the coach needs to address or if it’s a personal thing he needs to figure out.  Either way, if whatever is causing this with him were to be fixed, omg he and his line mates would have a considerable more points…I do wonder if Moving Dube or Lucic or both may help this, maybe they are just all off in terms

of chemistry…maybe it’s Monahan causing the lack of Chemistry as the Ctr for Monahan and Dube? hard to say but, I do think Monahan could do with better wingers and that could really improve the 3rd line and we would See Monahan scoring and assisting more. As for Monahan, I’m thinking he needs more of a chip on his shoulder…which brings me

to my next point..

On one hand you talk about Monahan not being very good with Dube, but on the other you think that Ritchie would do well with Lucic and Ritchie.  The common thread is Ritchie, who has been equally ineffective on 3rd and 4th lines.  Dube is playing on LW and has been much more effective on RW.  We need an effective 3rd line player for that line.  Pushing Monahan to wing and asking Ruzie to help getting him going won't really work IMHO.

Last night was not a great game, but the 4th line was not hurting them.  Like every line, they got bottled up at times in the D-zone.  Ritchie, on the other hand, was a drain.  Big body but that's about it.  If we have any desire to make some playoff noise, we need better.  Find out now if Monahan can improve with a better winger.  

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Well when your hot you're hot. I don't think the Flames are really playing great right now but finding ways to win. Pucks going in and Markstrom come out of the break much better than when he went in, which is great to see. 2 Back to back really good games from him so hopefully this is him entering into a bit of a zone and they can balance out the goalies a little better now that the schedule is going to get intense. 

Wasn't the cleanest game  and there are a few worrying trends in their defensive right now that I'm sure Sutter will want to correct but happens throughout the course of a season. Also need to give credit to the Leafs. They make zone entries very difficult for the Flames and their PK was stellar. 

On the Z hit while I do think it's clean based on the rules I don't like it and that should be the type of hit the NHL wants out of the game. But based on the current rules I don't see anything there that they can use to punish at all. 

It seems to creek into their game when they're tired. They start to get back to their lazy D play. They had two good periods against Vegas and one bad one. I don't know if it was fatigue in the Toronto game, but I can see what you are getting at. In that case, the Flames outscored their deficiencies in the game.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I liked the game plan. We were fortunate to be at zeroes after 1 but that was my hope.

Toronto's a high skill team so hit them. Track Matthews all over the ice and limit his threat.

I thought we might light them right up by being physical. Even if Simmonds was in, they can't match that.

I'm good with the Z hit. If Kase can't see an apartment building coming then he always gets concussed. You can't make rules for guys that constantly have their head down. They shouldn't be in the league.

Rather than the hit being removed, remove the player. Can't base rules on the victim's lack of awareness.

This stuff follows Kase around. It's on him to end it, not the league. There are very few NHLers that get caught straight on like that. If you want that out of the game, what's next? There would be zero reason to have size if you can't use it.

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

It seems to creek into their game when they're tired. They start to get back to their lazy D play. They had two good periods against Vegas and one bad one. I don't know if it was fatigue in the Toronto game, but I can see what you are getting at. In that case, the Flames outscored their deficiencies in the game.

Definitely expected Toronto to come out of the gate firing. 0-0 1st I was really happy with. Markstrom top 5 in every G category. I don't miss our goalies being 28th. I love me a blue collar team. Even more than star-studded.

I think the, "this period, that period, blah" stuff is more about the other team. Every team is really good, they are going to rule segments of games. Loving our work ethic. Win or lose, needed to see it. It's been years.

5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Definitely expected Toronto to come out of the gate firing. 0-0 1st I was really happy with. Markstrom top 5 in every G category. I don't miss our goalies being 28th. I love me a blue collar team. Even more than star-studded.

I think the, "this period, that period, blah" stuff is more about the other team. Every team is really good, they are going to rule segments of games. Loving our work ethic. Win or lose, needed to see it. It's been years.

Same here, I thought we needed to treat it as a Road Game and weather the storm a bit. My biggest worry is how when a team tends to get a lot of PP time and not scoring on it, can kind of be like Karma where it bites you in the Hash Rate. But we are in a place where the goals are going in, and best to capitalize on bounces and chances when that happens. It'll likely dry up eventually. 

I am with you on a blue collar team. I think sometimes skill can get in the way of itself, like on the odd man rushes where they try to be too pretty. And I am with you on the every team is good part too. Especially good teams. I think in those times, you just wanna see them engaged in the parts of the defensive parts in the game because when it shifts back they're kind of going? 

I dunno, I find fighting for rebounds and that kind of strategy fun in comparison to all odd man rushes. I like sustained zone time with purpose. I don't mean, just passing it around the perimeter and the other team allowing it to happen because shots from there are just goalie warm ups, makes the other team's goalies feel good. 

You could definitely see Toronto's skill up front. WOW. I will say we were lucky Markstrom was on. Other years that would have been a lopsided game. 

22 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I liked the game plan. We were fortunate to be at zeroes after 1 but that was my hope.

Toronto's a high skill team so hit them. Track Matthews all over the ice and limit his threat.

I thought we might light them right up by being physical. Even if Simmonds was in, they can't match that.

I'm good with the Z hit. If Kase can't see an apartment building coming then he always gets concussed. You can't make rules for guys that constantly have their head down. They shouldn't be in the league.

Rather than the hit being removed, remove the player. Can't base rules on the victim's lack of awareness.

This stuff follows Kase around. It's on him to end it, not the league. There are very few NHLers that get caught straight on like that. If you want that out of the game, what's next? There would be zero reason to have size if you can't use it.

I think you can still use the size. Leaning on players without hitting them takes a toll. It's a new form of hooking instead of clutching and grabbing, guys are leaning into the guy with the puck to slow them down. When guys are 10-20 pounds heavier, as a puck carrier they gotta carry that extra weight. 

It's weird, it's like the NHL might have to go with, if they're looking at you, you're allowed to hit them. 

23 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

This is where I disagree and where I understand I will  be on a bit of an island on this, but I'm not longer a fan of the standard where you point at the victim. There is too much evidence about the dangers of head injuries for me to continue with the same old standard of simply "keep your head up". Kase had no way to defend himself other than to not make the play and I prefer speed, skill, plays and fewer head injuries than I enjoy bit hits. 

But like I said I understand this is my opinion only and others will disagree.