1. 1. Tonights result will be?

• Close game - 1 goal - Flames take it
    • Close game - 1 goal Hurricanes snatch it
    • Blow out - we give them a sound thrashing
    • Blow out - tails between our legs we slink back to YYC
    • OT win - Flames fan rejoice
    • OT win - Flames fans kick the cat

11 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Do we really have enough talent to win a Cup this year?  Are we one piece away?

i think we are about 2-3 pieces away. 

our goalie numbers are changing. A Team stat. 

i wonder, are we seeing a full depth problem that we’ve been seeing the past few years? When we shut down the few top players we have, it’s easy to stop the team.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

No to Q1 and Q2.

Not one piece.

Canes knew what Hanifin was or would become.

While he's not bad overall, he makes so many bad little plays.

The PP usage magnifies it.

Can't expect Ras to make him look any better; he shouldn't have to.

Might as well pair him with Hanifin and live with Kylington-Ras.

That's assuming there is no trade.

Back to your question.

Trade Hanifin, then we are one major piece away.

If we get Chychrun, the piece is not as major.

I just don't think the one piece we need is available.

Laine for Monahan and a pick.

We get a guy that could really learn under Sutter.

He's got the shot we are missing on the PP.

Would need to qualify him for a year and it makes it difficult to fit in the cap.

I don;t think that gets us a cup but maybe gets us closer.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

No to Q1 and Q2.

Not one piece.

Canes knew what Hanifin was or would become.

While he's not bad overall, he makes so many bad little plays.

The PP usage magnifies it.

Can't expect Ras to make him look any better; he shouldn't have to.

Might as well pair him with Hanifin and live with Kylington-Ras.

That's assuming there is no trade.

Back to your question.

Trade Hanifin, then we are one major piece away.

If we get Chychrun, the piece is not as major.

I just don't think the one piece we need is available.

Laine for Monahan and a pick.

We get a guy that could really learn under Sutter.

He's got the shot we are missing on the PP.

Would need to qualify him for a year and it makes it difficult to fit in the cap.

I don;t think that gets us a cup but maybe gets us closer.

i love Lindholm and think he is a good C. I still wonder if he is a true #1. He’s been quiet when we need him to step up against the top teams.

I agree with what you say though, just adding to it…

Just now, robrob74 said:

i think we are about 2-3 pieces away. 

our goalie numbers are changing. A Team stat. 

i wonder, are we seeing a full depth problem that we’ve been seeing the past few years? When we shut down the few top players we have, it’s easy to stop the team.

I don't think we are seeing the same problem this year.

Nobody is really shutting down Gaudreau or Tkachuk.

We just are missing that 2 and 3C.

Monahan and Backlund have crawled into the dungeon.

Backlund may be struggling or he may be fading.

Monahan has been tasked with being a 4th line C for a long time.

He's still a half season away from 100%.

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i love Lindholm and think he is a good C. I still wonder if he is a true #1. He’s been quiet when we need him to step up against the top teams.

I agree with what you say though, just adding to it…

Last season, Guadreau was away from him, so Gaudreau got the tough players against him.  The teams had to choose between Gaudreau and Tkachuk as to which line to send their best.  This year, they are all on the same line.  I would say regardless of the number of points Lindholm has, he is a top C.  More the glue than the McJessub type.  That doesn't mean #2, just that the number 1 is not 50 goals.  He's very underrated IMHO.

The thing about our top line is Tkachuk is slow.  He gives up on plays.  Leaves Gaudreau and Lindy to have to take defensive responsibility.  If we had another RW, I would move Tkachuk to another line.    

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Last season, Guadreau was away from him, so Gaudreau got the tough players against him.  The teams had to choose between Gaudreau and Tkachuk as to which line to send their best.  This year, they are all on the same line.  I would say regardless of the number of points Lindholm has, he is a top C.  More the glue than the McJessub type.  That doesn't mean #2, just that the number 1 is not 50 goals.  He's very underrated IMHO.

The thing about our top line is Tkachuk is slow.  He gives up on plays.  Leaves Gaudreau and Lindy to have to take defensive responsibility.  If we had another RW, I would move Tkachuk to another line.    

i like this. 

Tkachuk is reminding me of Backlund in that sense. He’s been giving up too much. I’d try get as much as we can in a trade of him. He needs to be more engaged. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I think Sutter's manipulating things. Always feel like he's got things up his sleeve, but he never gives a read on it.

I feel like he's slowly building his chess game. Lines are always a little scattered outside of the first line, which I think he'll change up as we get closer to the playoffs.

I always feel like he's building something and messing around with the pieces. On the whole, I think he's taking most guys out of their comfort level and making them better for it.

I know and get his history, so I honestly think he's crazy like a fox. He's building something, and a good start has him experimenting more imo.

He holds his cards very close to his chest, but he's building something, and doesn't care about W's and L's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I think Sutter's manipulating things. Always feel like he's got things up his sleeve, but he never gives a read on it.

I feel like he's slowly building his chess game. Lines are always a little scattered outside of the first line, which I think he'll change up as we get closer to the playoffs.

I always feel like he's building something and messing around with the pieces. On the whole, I think he's taking most guys out of their comfort level and making them better for it.

I know and get his history, so I honestly think he's crazy like a fox. He's building something, and a good start has him experimenting more imo.

He holds his cards very close to his chest, but he's building something, and doesn't care about W's and L's.

This has nothing to do with sniping a backhand top corner or beating a goalie from the blue line with a 100 mph bomb.  This talent is missing from the arsenal.  We squander chances that if we only had better finish, then we'd be winning more games.  We out shoot most teams we lose to and have more attack time too.

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

This has nothing to do with sniping a backhand top corner or beating a goalie from the blue line with a 100 mph bomb.  This talent is missing from the arsenal.  We squander chances that if we only had better finish, then we'd be winning more games.  We out shoot most teams we lose to and have more attack time too.

Last night we dominated in the first period but got but one goal.  Most of the domination resulted in a weak shot or relatively easy save, but some were really good.  Other than Gaudreau, we don't have elite passers.  Mangiapane was in the slot and the pass went into his feet for a minor chance, but not good enough to get his usual onetimer goal in that spot.  So, as much as finishers, we lack elite passing.

Gaudreau set up Kylington and he got off a nice shot, but he's not even that good.  If it had been Ras (who's a better shot), he would have hung onto it and skated around the net.  

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

2004 peeps. That team had zero reason to be in a cup final. They just went world beater at the right times. And Yzerman got injured of course. There isn't a formula, and if there is, Sutter understands it far better than me. Vladar back-to-back? That's sparing Markstrom. Dube incessantly at LW? Strengthening his weak side. Kyl getting huge opportunity?

Valimaki getting nurtured? Sutter sees things we can't. He's doing Satoshi Nakamoto we don't agree with, but it's his team. We're in really good hands. I have faith that we'll be a contender. Roster-watching is meh. I think he got the result he may have wanted through the last 3. He's playing possum, is what I think.

*edit The whole love-in he had with the last 3 games. That's an act if ever I've seen one. He's downplaying us right now, imho. It looks a lot like a set-up to me.

Not the thread to post this but watching the last three games has been a real eye opener, we need to serious look at trading Mony as his value will not increase (He is not improving since his return and is slower then ever).  Backlund is also slumping as of late but not hitting the panic on him yet.  Hanifin for Chychrun trade deal somehow would help us as well Tkachuk skating like a turtle im thinking of moving him on soon too while his value is still up there. 

Regardless, we played some tough teams maybe we leave the roster alone and see where we end up until off season and then dump whats necessary. Something I feel needs to change on a slightly bigger forum at one point.

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I admire @conundrumed's optimism and I think it is the right approach until the week of March 21.

The Flames have...surprised me, considerably, this season.  But, they surprised me specifically in the first half of the regular season.

I don't think we should read too much into these last two games.  They are just two games and people are coming off a gap in play and covid.    

But.....   I also don't think we should read too much into the success of the first 30 games.   I'm not.   All I am doing for now is thankfully appreciating it.   We still have 3 months before the serious talk.

23 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

If only there were two of him!

Love.

Yeah, got lost in two different thoughts.

Gaudreau with the stretch pass scores.

Johnny gets the stretch pass from Guddy.

If only we had 2 guys that could complete a pass in stride.

Gaudreau seems to be the only one to handle those receipts.

Most are in his wheelhouse, but his wheelhouse is bigger than most.

The odd time Mangiapane gets on in stride.

Or Dube.