1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Not say this is true, but can we not waive Ritchie or Stone and bring in Ruzie?  I get they can't be assigned to the AHL, but I think it takes them off the roster and removes their cap hit.  

If not, the only way is an emergency loan.  I'm hoping we don't get there.

I don't think so, because there is no where to assign them. Waiving them doesn't get rid of the players cap hit, its when they are assigned to the AHL is when the cap hit goes with them and since we can't assign them their cap.hit stays in the NHL.

16 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I don't think so, because there is no where to assign them. Waiving them doesn't get rid of the players cap hit, its when they are assigned to the AHL is when the cap hit goes with them and since we can't assign them their cap.hit stays in the NHL.

That part has always confused me.  In the past, we have waived players but not assigned them to the AHL.  I thought their salary was taken off the books once the waiver period elapsed.  I can understand the AHL not wanting non-playoff teams to dump players into the AHL after TDL, but I don't get why a salary would have to remain on the books.  Just me, I guess.  No worries.  I wish we had a bit more flexibility to swap Ritchie for Ruzie, but whatevs.  

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

The impact of one of your top 4 dman is significantly greater than 2 4th liners. 

I wouldn't disagree that both of those players are struggling right now but I think the level of concern there is much lower than it is with Kylington due to the role he plays and what the Flames need of him. 

The effectiveness of your defence can be greatly impacted by forwards making boneheaded or lazy/panicked plays.  The Monaghan play on the boards was a prime example of that.  When being challenged, instead of back passing to the waiting Tanev he chose to try to chip passed a set shark player.  The play was easily intercepted and quickly became a goal.  This was not a defensive mistake, as they were prepared to play as they had been.  I concede this was not a good game overall;  Markstrom was definitely off that game, and the team in general was not playing to their potential, but my observation is that Kylington was no better or worse than any other player.  Again, if I was to point fingers, the fourth line was totally ineffective and far too slow to play that game.  Lucic needs to be utilized in games he is more effective in; hard-checking/bruising games as opposed to the run and gun speed of certain teams.  Monaghan is still “not there”, and personally I don’t know what he needs to do to fix it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LouCifer said:

Just going to throw this in here. I'm 100% comfortable with Sutter managing the lines. He's been fantastic at reading who can play with who. GFG

The Jolly Rancher sure knows what he is doing, eh?  We armchair coach a lot here.  We don't see the effort in practices or study the game tapes (MPEG).  We tend to focus on the small picture a lot.  Sutter reads the room.  He manages icetime according to what he sees.  Uses MacLean on the bench and in the box to give him feedback.  

Very few games could we point to a single player impacting the game for the bad.  A line or pairing or goalie, yes.  But again, not the only reason.  We sometimes overlook the impact of a key faceoff win (or loss).  Dube's win a few games ago was key.  Against the Sharks, the first goal came (IIRC) from a simple clearing play that changed possession.  A weak shot and it's in.  The tying goal came off a rough shift and bad change by the 4th line.  Can't really blames Monahan for that.  Take him out?  Perhaps.  Take Lucic out against ARI?  Perhaps.  But that is load management, which is key in B2B's.  This isn't a tough week for games, just the B2B.

13 minutes ago, flames for life said:

The effectiveness of your defence can be greatly impacted by forwards making boneheaded or lazy/panicked plays.  The Monaghan play on the boards was a prime example of that.  When being challenged, instead of back passing to the waiting Tanev he chose to try to chip passed a set shark player.  The play was easily intercepted and quickly became a goal.  This was not a defensive mistake, as they were prepared to play as they had been.  I concede this was not a good game overall;  Markstrom was definitely off that game, and the team in general was not playing to their potential, but my observation is that Kylington was no better or worse than any other player.  Again, if I was to point fingers, the fourth line was totally ineffective and far too slow to play that game.  Lucic needs to be utilized in games he is more effective in; hard-checking/bruising games as opposed to the run and gun speed of certain teams.  Monaghan is still “not there”, and personally I don’t know what he needs to do to fix it.

It seems like Lucic has been off for the last 4-5 games. He's been a bit of a turnover machine.

My fave 4th lines this year have been

Lucic-Lewis centered by either Rozie or Dube.

Kylington just needs more experience with the ramped up intensity that's happening now. He's good on the rush but I also feel like he's trying to play a little faster than he needs to and by forcing is turning it over a little too often. So either he needs to see the game a little faster or needs to take that extra second to slow down the decision-making.

59 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Looks like Monahan may sit now that Carpenter is practicing

but also not sure you should read into lines a day and a half before a game. 

It makes sense to integrate the player.  This might actually be the line for Saturday against the Oilers.  Not sure which set makes sense for which game.  I think it would be  a good idea to sit Lucic for a single game, just to give him a breather.

SOme differing info from two different sources.  

Steinberg has:

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Toffoli

Tkachuk-Backlund-Dube

Mangiapane-Jarnkrok-Coleman

Lucic-Carpenter-Ritchie

Monahan-Lewis  

Hanifin-Andersson

Kylington-Stone (Tanev maintenance day)

Zadorov-Gudbranson

Markstrom

Vladar

Whereas Kristen Anderson had the following changes:

Fourth line is Lucic-Carpenter-Ritchie by the looks of today’s line rushes. Otherwise, Toffoli is still on the top line. Tkachuk with Jarnkrok and Coleman.

Can't yet confirm the lines, but it seems both Monahan and Carpenter are out tonight.

They are staying on the ice at practice late.  Usually a sign.

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Toffoli

Tkachuk-Backlund-Dube

Mangiapane-Jarnkrok-Coleman

Lucic-Lewis-Ritchie

Ritchie playing his brother tonight.

Marky gets the start, so a good chance they throw Vladar to the dogs Saturday.

Monahan may or may not draw back into that game.

Seems Monahan has not bounced back

as well as they have been letting on, taking note of Sutters comments of Late, they definitely moved him down the line up early in the year to let him ease in and get back on track, now it Seems Sutter feels

he should have given Monahan some

time Off over the stretch…I’m kinda getting the feeling that the crazy schedule has slows and in some ways impeded Monahan getting back up to speed this season and unfortunately they needed to play him…should be interesting to see what happens…I get the feeling Sutter wants to get Monahan back on track for the playoffs and if he can we may see something of a Monahan of

old?! here’s hoping! 

Sutter is usually spot on about theses things so I’m kinda excited and optimistic to see what Sutter manages to accomplish On this front with Monahan 

8 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

as well as they have been letting on, taking note of Sutters comments of Late, they definitely moved him down the line up early in the year to let him ease in and get back on track, now it Seems Sutter feels

time Off over the stretch…I’m kinda getting the feeling that the crazy schedule has slows and in some ways impeded Monahan getting back up to speed this season and unfortunately they needed to play him…should be interesting to see what happens…I get the feeling Sutter wants to get Monahan back on track for the playoffs and if he can we may see something of a Monahan of

old?! here’s hoping! 

Sutter is usually spot on about theses things so I’m kinda excited and optimistic to see what Sutter manages to accomplish On this front with Monahan 

That would definitely explain what everyone is seeing with him.

5 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

old?! here’s hoping! 

ya, I can definitely see your point. And I think for the older players and Monahan it could be a good idea to start resting them (giving a game off here and there). I think Lucic can be effective but has also slowed down, and the same might go for Lewis. To a lesser extent Backlund could probably use a game too.

When it’s 3 in 4 nights as often as it has been, it’s beyond what older bodies usually have to go through. And it’s not like hockey is that easy. Out of all the sports, it’s probably the most taxing on the body.

I think it is probably why we’ve had such up and downs in previous years. The team might have taken more nights off than usual and in doing so get scored on early. They didn’t have the bodies to play catch up and it gets so hard to catch up mid / late season.

we have a good cushion, and I wonder how taking a guy out for a game in a tight schedule will effect the roster? If it is depth, I don’t think it hurts as much as a top6 forward.

28 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

So it has come to this.  We are just going to sit $6.375-mil in the press box.

we should sit Lucic’s contract in the press box next game too. These guys are more effective when they are rested. It’s clear they are not lately. 

i guess we don’t know if anyone is banged up either.  But still would prefer if they’re mentally ready, which means their bodies need a refresh. 

we need another playmaker for the 2nd PP to get Monahan going. It’s obvious that taking him off the #1 PP has rendered him redundant. While he had improved his D, has he improved it enough to play an energy depth role? 

i;d still have...Gaudreau/Lindholm/Tkachuk

Mangiapane/Ruzicka/Toffoli

Jarnkrok/Backlund/Coleman

and then use the 6 other guys as the opposition determines  

Lucic/lLewis/Monahan/Ritchie/Carpenter/Dube

13 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

i;d still have...Gaudreau/Lindholm/Tkachuk

Mangiapane/Ruzicka/Toffoli

Jarnkrok/Backlund/Coleman

and then use the 6 other guys as the opposition determines  

Lucic/lLewis/Monahan/Ritchie/Carpenter/Dube

I agree and like it, but knowing we can’t bring Ruzie up. Would it be the worst to try and slip Dube in between Mang and Toff?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

So it has come to this.  We are just going to sit $6.375-mil in the press box.

No, we are going to sit and rest players, wearied from a concentrated and busy schedule that is more games in shorter periods then has ever been done in previous years.  That changes everything, including balancing rest periods, especially in back to backs.  

I think we see Monahan back on a regular basis near playoffs…from Sutter’s comments I get the feel Monahan is and has not been 100% after surgery…and it

sounds like the original plan was to play Monahan even less than they have been but they lacked C’s to do that…

having said this, now that they have acquired a few depth C’s they are gonna rest Monahan and if he’s healthy by playoffs we may see more of him playing and playing the way we know he can play and scoring…However, I definitely would not be surprised if they sit him more even through the playoffs if Sutter feels he’s not

100% because they can now…

also, I don’t think he’s traded this off season, I think they keep him and rest him to heal up…and next year we see a Monahan that we have seen in the past…hopefully #2 Ctr between Manj and Toffoil…and Backlund Ctr with Coleman and? On a 3rd line shutdown 

can’t help but feel that was kinda the plan all along, especially with the Toffoil trade…unfortunately Monahan just needed more time to heal…good plan if Monahan was 100% but he’s not so it is what it is for now but I’m hoping Monahan can get back up to speed by playoff and we see him 100%…with Manji and Toffoil could be a very strong and dominating line 

• Like 1

I want to see Carpenter in tonight for the BOA. He brings physicality and defensive ability. It’s not like he hasn’t been playing hockey all year. Given that it’s a home game and we get last change, I don’t see any reason to shelter him from a BOA game. In fact, I think it’s the perfect game to bring him into the fold. 

Monahan looks like a scratch with Ritchie and Vladar and Stone.

Think they are still running Lewis at C, which I don't agree with.

Carpenter has better faceoff stats.

But, being started at C doesn't mean you take all the draws.

Markstrom stands a good chance tonight, but at some point he needs games off.

As far as the lines go, they are a work in progress.

The top line doesn't really need any chance, but nice to have options.

I wonder...

JH-Lindy-Tka

Mange-Backlund-Toffoli

Coleman-Dube-Jarny

I'm trying to find the best fit for Toffoli.  He's tailed off a bit since TDL.

Putting him with Backlund gets him into the O-zone.

Dube up the middle gives us some options for taking draws.

Jarny on the wing gives him less defensive responsibilities and he can start to score.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Monahan looks like a scratch with Ritchie and Vladar and Stone.

Think they are still running Lewis at C, which I don't agree with.

Carpenter has better faceoff stats.

But, being started at C doesn't mean you take all the draws.

Markstrom stands a good chance tonight, but at some point he needs games off.

As far as the lines go, they are a work in progress.

The top line doesn't really need any chance, but nice to have options.

I wonder...

JH-Lindy-Tka

Mange-Backlund-Toffoli

Coleman-Dube-Jarny

I'm trying to find the best fit for Toffoli.  He's tailed off a bit since TDL.

Putting him with Backlund gets him into the O-zone.

Dube up the middle gives us some options for taking draws.

Jarny on the wing gives him less defensive responsibilities and he can start to score.

I prefer this for a second line, because it allows Mangapane to play with a setup man in backlund.  Right now I think he is given a disservice by shuffling him all over the place.  He has been somewhat neutralized by trying to fit others in.  He is a 30 goal scorer so that should be the feed, not the other way around.

6 minutes ago, flames for life said:

I prefer this for a second line, because it allows Mangapane to play with a setup man in backlund.  Right now I think he is given a disservice by shuffling him all over the place.  He has been somewhat neutralized by trying to fit others in.  He is a 30 goal scorer so that should be the feed, not the other way around.

He has gone cold, so they are trying to get him going.

I get that, but 3rd line may not be the best fit.

I do think that Backlund might be a much better fit.

Needs a top C to feed him, as does Toffoli.