• Johhny Hockey
    • Breadman
    • Pout Chucky
    • The Coalman
    • Other

Some positives tonight,

• Andersson playing with a lot of confidence
  • Mangiapane looks like a superstar
  • Lewis's game is growing on me.  Smart sneaky stuff every shift and gets away with a lot of interference without getting called.  All the little things right and he skates a lot faster than I thought he would
  • Tkachuk getting more comfy on RW
  • Gaudreau is playing with some fire under him
  • Flames controlling most of the game 5 on 5

Some Negatives,

• Coleman looks kinda "meh" to me.  I thought the gap between Coleman and Hyman was going to be a lot closer but it appears not.  Coleman doesn't have the hands and IQ.  He's 110% work ethic guy
  • Markstrom has been very average
  • Our bottom 6 just isn't going to score.  For all the great cycle work they are doing, there's just never a hope they are going to bury one.  
  • That Backlund signature 1-on-1 move has officially gotten old

Flames just simply lack difference makers. Gaudreau, Lindholm, Tkachuk and Mangiapane drive all forms of effective chances. They played a fairly solid game overall but this team still lacks execution. It’s a struggle so far, good signs of possession and forechecking but very little finish. This upcoming road trip is already must win status

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Some positives tonight,

• Lewis's game is growing on me.  Smart sneaky stuff every shift and gets away with a lot of interference without getting called.  All the little things right and he skates a lot faster than I thought he would

Some Negatives,

• Coleman looks kinda "meh" to me.  I thought the gap between Coleman and Hyman was going to be a lot closer but it appears not.  Coleman doesn't have the hands and IQ.  He's 110% work ethic guy
  • Our bottom 6 just isn't going to score.  For all the great cycle work they are doing, there's just never a hope they are going to bury one.  

You have it out for Backlund all the time but he does so many things well. His biggest flaw is having Lucic as an anchor, yet makes them look decent. 

11 minutes ago, rickross said:

Flames just simply lack difference makers. Gaudreau, Lindholm, Tkachuk and Mangiapane drive all forms of effective chances. They played a fairly solid game overall but this team still lacks execution. It’s a struggle so far, good signs of possession and forechecking but very little finish. This upcoming road trip is already must win status

well, it’s also an extra pass when the need to shoot on all of those odd man rushes. It’s been happening for years. They look for pretty instead of a good rebound, or for some reason their gap control on odd man rushes are too tight for getting passes through or just not creating lanes for each other. 

Well, I just wanred them to play hard. They did that.

Z is being an atrocity with the puck.

Zero goals from the side of the net again, maybe find a different play.

Marks has to stop what he can see.

Off to the D. Effing border still closed.

Watch the Detroit feed. Classiest and funnest commentators in the entire league.  They love Gaudreau.

Watch Seider!

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Some positives tonight,

Some Negatives,

Agree with the ++.  

Coleman needs to play with decent players; expecting him to carry Lucic or make Backlund connect with the puck is a fool's errand.

The 2nd pair is officially the worst; Zadorov-Tanev bites.

Tanev seemed to bump up everyone he played with, but Zadorov seems to have zero hockey IQ.

It may just be the lack of speed from the pair, whuch is possible, but lets find out.

I would rather watch Kylington skate and not pass than seeing it passed to the midle of the ice with no Flame in sight.

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Agree with the ++.  

Coleman needs to play with decent players; expecting him to carry Lucic or make Backlund connect with the puck is a fool's errand.

The 2nd pair is officially the worst; Zadorov-Tanev bites.

Tanev seemed to bump up everyone he played with, but Zadorov seems to have zero hockey IQ.

It may just be the lack of speed from the pair, whuch is possible, but lets find out.

I would rather watch Kylington skate and not pass than seeing it passed to the midle of the ice with no Flame in sight.

Well,

They are a 3rd pair.    On most competitive teams.   Behind the first pairing, that...we don't have.     There's nothing actually wrong with them other than they're being asked to compensate for a complete lack of a first pairing.

The same can be said of Center and RW issues.

I'll refrain my thoughts on goaltending.

LW looked great lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

We were one key save away from a W, and could have had 4+ goals last night. We didn’t just generate shot quantity, but quality as well. If they can play like that all season, I won’t complain; at least it was entertaining!

I'm with ABC on last night's game. Very entertaining. Flames had a LOT of offensive zone time (we never seem to sustain pressure like other teams do to us) and we had quality shots mixed in with quantity. All I really want is effort like that, showing that they're interested in winning a game. Far too often they appear to be going through the motions. Last night was incredibly better than what we've gotten used to. 

Loved Coleman's comments between periods and in the presser after the game. He's clearly a guy that knows what it takes to win and he calls a spade a spade. Work needs to be done in Calgary to play every shift like you want to win, and right until the buzzer, he's not one to accept less than that. Gaudreau had some great answers for a change in the presser - I already feel like Coleman's attitude and confidence is rubbing off on ol' 13. That's a good thing.

Sutter also calls it like it is - he's getting rid of the comfortable culture the flames have been known for for too long. 

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

We had 33 scoring chances and 11 high danger chances at 5 on 5 alone.  Gibson was very good last night, but more nights than not it should be a winning formula.

So, I didn't go super negative on our opener that we lost, because it was against McDavid.

Yes there were some positives last night, but for perspective it was also against what was, last year, considered to be possibly the worst team in the NHL.

I'm not trying to overstate.  There's really no clear conclusions from the game on either slant.    But I disagree that last night's performance would be a winning formula most nights.      Most nights, we're going to get far fewer scoring opportunities and many more shots against with that same effort.

Why is everyone so hard on Zadorov-Tanev.  Sure, zero offense but the defense was there.  They are not an easy pair to score on and there were several defensive zone sequences where the Ducks players tried to post up on Zadorov but Zadorov's strength just over powered them.  This pair was a reason the Ducks didn't really have long sustained zone pressure.  They are not a good pair for the transition game and neither can carry the puck up ice with consistent success so yes, that part makes them less ideal as a pair.  It would be nice if at least one of them can move the puck.

Valimaki-Gudbranson is the bigger worry.  Zadorov-Tanev are smart with the puck and know their limits.  They are veterans in that sense.  But boy, you've got Valimaki who doesn't know his limits and Gudbranson who is a slow decision maker.  It's not a great combo.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Why is everyone so hard on Zadorov-Tanev.  Sure, zero offense but the defense was there.  They are not an easy pair to score on and there were several defensive zone sequences where the Ducks players tried to post up on Zadorov but Zadorov's strength just over powered them.  This pair was a reason the Ducks didn't really have long sustained zone pressure.  They are not a good pair for the transition game and neither can carry the puck up ice with consistent success so yes, that part makes them less ideal as a pair.  It would be nice if at least one of them can move the puck.

Valimaki-Gudbranson is the bigger worry.  Zadorov-Tanev are smart with the puck and know their limits.  They are veterans in that sense.  But boy, you've got Valimaki who doesn't know his limits and Gudbranson who is a slow decision maker.  It's not a great combo.

For the record and clarity, I agree with this.  If our team had a first line pairing we would be very happy with what these guys are doing.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Well,

They are a 3rd pair.    On most competitive teams.   Behind the first pairing, that...we don't have.     There's nothing actually wrong with them other than they're being asked to compensate for a complete lack of a first pairing.

The same can be said of Center and RW issues.

I'll refrain my thoughts on goaltending.

LW looked great lol

Tanev was always going to be a 2nd pairing guy.

There is no shame in that.

Other than his tendency to get injured, he performs and has performed that role well; last year his numbers were elite.

But, let's face it, his mobility is a detriment; can't pair him without a puck moving, skating D-man. 

Gio-Ras was a mess, and I think part of that was being a poor fit.

Zadorov might play better with a more mobile guy or perhaps Ras.

If we are sticking with Hanifin-Ras, then it makes sense to use Valimaki or Kylington with Tanev.

Valimaki most likely.

Zadorov would be better suite playing with Kylington.

10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I don't agree and neither do the numbers. It's only 2 games but so far Zadorov-Tanev have been the Flames worst pair and in most cases it isn't close. They are the only pair that is under water in every metric. 

Gudbranson-Valimaki lead in most of them. They've given up 1 High danger chance against at 5 on 5, Zadorov/Tanev have given up 6. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

I don't agree and neither do the numbers. It's only 2 games but so far Zadorov-Tanev have been the Flames worst pair and in most cases it isn't close. They are the only pair that is under water in every metric. 

Gudbranson-Valimaki lead in most of them. 

The only way out is to pair Hanifin-Tanev and Zadorov-Andersson.  It would balance out the pairs with one shut down D and one puck mover per combo.

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

My issue with the pairing was a continual string of bad passes coming from the pair.

Tanev and Zadorov were combining bad passes to give the zone back to the Ducks.

Not just once or twice.

Tanev had maybe one that was his fault, but Zadorov crapped the bed more than a few times.

That led to a lot of zone time, that we recognized after the Lucic fight.

It was coincidence that is when it happened.

They were responsible for 7 giveaways.  Lucic had 4 himself.

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Gudbranson-Valimaki lead in most of them. They've given up 1 High danger chance against at 5 on 5, Zadorov/Tanev have given up 6. 

I don't want to say "you're wrong", I'll just say..

You forgot plus/minus, which, is, well, probably a defenceman's most important metric...so...

there is...another perspective on this lol

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/ana-vs-cgy/2021/10/18/2021020037#game=2021020037,game_state=final,game_tab=stats

advanced stats....sigh

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

The only way out is to pair Hanifin-Tanev and Zadorov-Andersson.  It would balance out the pairs with one shut down D and one puck mover per combo.

Radical thinking....

Hanifin-Ras (no issues with them)

Valimaki-Tanev (steady guy with young Jedi)

Kylington with Guddy or Zaddy (skating helps this pair out of bad situations)

Oh I also want to comment on Zegras because this was my first full viewing of him.  He's kind of over rated.  At no time did he make any individual play that was mind blowing or elite.  He tried one between the leg pass on that 2-on-1 in tight but it was a poor decision considering the place on the ice.  He should've took the shot there.  Is this guy supposed to be so good that ANA won't trade him for Eichel?  His shots weren't all that accurate or deceptive either. He has above average smarts but nothing elite.  I didn't see anything that convinced me we are looking at the next Pettersson, Eichel, Barkov, Barzal, etc.  Feels like we're looking at a RNH-level type of player.  70-point potential max.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It is only 2 games but at the same time the only reason I focus on the Zadorov-Tanev pairing is they've never been good. They were bad in the preseason and they've continued to be bad in the regular season. The sample size is growing and I get concerned when pairs/lines don't show any flashes and for me Z and Tanev have shown no flashes or evidence they can or will work. 

That is an option but it's not the only one IMO. Valimaki has been good to start IMO and Kylington had a great pre season. No reason IMO you can't try those 2 as well. 

But to be fair here this is not all Zadorov. Tanev has not had a good 2 games either and I thought he really struggled last night. 

4 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I don't want to say "you're wrong", I'll just say..

You forgot plus/minus, which, is, well, probably a defenceman's most important metric...so...

there is...another perspective on this lol

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/ana-vs-cgy/2021/10/18/2021020037#game=2021020037,game_state=final,game_tab=stats

Cam Fowler was easily the best Duck last night and probably the best D-man on the ice.  -1.

And that was in a win.

+/- doesn't explain mch.