GDT FLAMES @ Oilers Sat 16 Oct 2021

rocketdoctor

Will the Flames win their first season opener since 2007?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Flames win their first season opener since 2007?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will the Flames go better than .500 (loser point ignored) in the first 10 games?

• Yes
    • No

5 minutes ago, rickross said:

This exactly. F all this “it’s just 1 game” and it’s “early”. We adopted a bit of a losers mentality as Flames fans. This team  has been notoriously plagued by poor starts , think we actually hold the record for consecutive season opening loses so yeah let’s stop this bleeding right now. Instead of the consolation always being about how hard they tried it’s time the final result is the all about the W. Not to mention we lost to the filthy Oilers…we’re already 4 pts back of them now. It’s go time, every single game should be a must win mentality for this team of underachievers 

yup! I don’t get the complacency. I want to win every game!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rickross said:

This exactly. F all this “it’s just 1 game” and it’s “early”. We adopted a bit of a losers mentality as Flames fans. This team  has been notoriously plagued by poor starts , think we actually hold the record for consecutive season opening loses so yeah let’s stop this bleeding right now. Instead of the consolation always being about how hard they tried it’s time the final result is the all about the W. Not to mention we lost to the filthy Oilers…we’re already 4 pts back of them now. It’s go time, every single game should be a must win mentality for this team of underachievers 

I hope you are not conflating poor start with poor effort.  Once again, the Flames played 110% effort.

At some point let's realize we don't have enough talent.  We want to win and we never stopped playing.  We never gave up despite the score. We outshot the Oilers and everything.  That McDavid line was the difference.

I know it's easy to say we just need to get a McDavid.  Either we tank for high end talent or we must trade four or five pieces for someone like Eichel.

14 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I hope you are not conflating poor start with poor effort.  Once again, the Flames played 110% effort.

At some point let's realize we don't have enough talent.  We want to win and we never stopped playing.  We never gave up despite the score. We outshot the Oilers and everything.  That McDavid line was the difference.

I know it's easy to say we just need to get a McDavid.  Either we tank for high end talent or we must trade four or five pieces for someone like Eichel.

5 on 5 we did well, didn't even give up a HD chance against.  Out of all McDavid's hat trick or 3+ point nights against the Flames it was the most meh.  

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

the thing that teams without enough talent do is get pucks on net. ✔️

another thing they do is, get bodies to the net and dig for dirty goals. ✖️ We don’t do that! We have “skilled” players. But what level skill are they? Not elite enough. 

so why aren’t we getting bodies in front so they goalie can’t see? Why aren’t they going after rebounds in those situations? They gotta get bodies first of course. 

I get the need for an Eichel, but it’s just gonna kill us in 3-4 years when the youth we’ve used in the deal aren’t going to be there. 

its basically going to be the Parise and Suter thing in Minnesota. Enough to make them competitive just enough.

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Naw not conflating anything. Mentioned nothing about their effort being poor it’s just that the Calgary Flames are ineffective. They can huff and puff all they want with maximum effort but what’s the point if they can’t generate results. It’s the classic adage of “work SMARTER not harder”. Flames have been a reactionary team for years now, they rarely control games and typically find themselves playing from behind. Under Sutter there’s better support and structure but the needle hasn’t moved yet. 

Indeed we don’t have elite high end talent on this team but there’s enough skill and talent here to atleast be competitive. Eichel isn’t the answer, forget that guy…he’s more liability than investment at this point. 

End of the day I’m tired of letting this team off and giving them an “E” for effort while taking an L. I want the “W”!!!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Agreed on the talent shortage.   It's never an excuse on its own and I do get why we want certain players or certain systems to do better.

Here's a question...was it a matter of the McDavid line being the difference or the fact that we don't have any first line D to play against him?   I'll lay off the goaltender part for now.     I'm not saying we don't want a #1 center but really if that was all that mattered it would be Edmonton vs Buffalo in the cup final.  And we ain't ever going to see that lol.

Basically I agree with all of the above except for Eichel.   We trade 4-5 pieces and we would be worst than we are now, even with a healthy Eichel.   Not that I care too much either way, but I would be upset to see picks disappear over it.

7 minutes ago, rickross said:

Naw not conflating anything. Mentioned nothing about their effort being poor it’s just that the Calgary Flames are ineffective. They can huff and puff all they want with maximum effort but what’s the point if they can’t generate results. It’s the classic adage of “work SMARTER not harder”. Flames have been a reactionary team for years now, they rarely control games and typically find themselves playing from behind. Under Sutter there’s better support and structure but the needle hasn’t moved yet. 

Indeed we don’t have elite high end talent on this team but there’s enough skill and talent here to atleast be competitive. Eichel isn’t the answer, forget that guy…he’s more liability than investment at this point. 

End of the day I’m tired of letting this team off and giving them an “E” for effort while taking an L. I want the “W”!!!!!

Yeah.  Agreed with the above, I think the two of you are really not that far apart on this.   Except for the Eichel thing, and I'm with you on Eichel.

Otherwise, you're both recognizing a complete lack of talent.     

Might I suggest we're past debating "tank or not".     You erode your talent as much as we have, well, the possible outcomes are limited.   Whether we say we tanked on purpose or just from incompetence... it's all the same on draft day.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Agreed on the talent shortage.   It's never an excuse on its own and I do get why we want certain players or certain systems to do better.

Here's a question...was it a matter of the McDavid line being the difference or the fact that we don't have any first line D to play against him?   I'll lay off the goaltender part for now.     I'm not saying we don't want a #1 center but really if that was all that mattered it would be Edmonton vs Buffalo in the cup final.  And we ain't ever going to see that lol.

Basically I agree with all of the above except for Eichel.   We trade 4-5 pieces and we would be worst than we are now, even with a healthy Eichel.   Not that I care too much either way, but I would be upset to see picks disappear over it.

Yeah.  Agreed with the above, I think the two of you are really not that far apart on this.   Except for the Eichel thing, and I'm with you on Eichel.

Might I suggest we're past debating "tank or not".     You erode your talent as much as we have, well, the possible outcomes are limited.   Whether we say we tanked on purpose or just from incompetence... it's all the same on draft day.

the only thing I see wrong is erode. That would mean we had enough talent in the first place. We had a lot of hope that hasn’t panned out. We wanted to build on what we have and maybe Coleman is the missing piece.  

I really think the Bennett situation sums up this club a lot, just enough to push him out but not enough to push us forward. 

we really should have put him with Tkachuk and Lindholm on his wing, especially since we wanted to marry Gaudreau and Monahan together. 

then we’d have Backlund with Dube and Mangiapane.

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Oh 100% we should tank for the next two years.  We aren't going anywhere with this group as is.  We are a middle team at best.  I was only coming from the perspective that ownership wants to win right now so, go all in.  That all in move is Eichel.  There is no other move that makes any difference.

10 hours ago, The_Snowbear said:

hoping the myhealth app is sufficient proof first time needing proof to enter a place that i have been vaccinated

Bring your photo ID as well snowbear. Here in Ontario they ask to see both to make sure it’s actually you with the vaccination.