Preseason Game #1 EDM@CGY

Thebrewcrew

I watched the first and third periods.  Missed the second.

Vladar - looks legit.  Feel good with him as back-up.

Werner - wasn't tested much but generally not bad.

Zadarov - played well overall.  Has poise.  Steady.  Played like a veteran just getting warmed up.  Good hits throughout the night.

Andersson - played like he didn't care too much in a nothing game.

Gudbranson - brutal as advertised.  We should all worry.  Bad/slow decision making.  Turnover machine.  Poor reads with and without the puck.

Valimaki - looked shakey.  My general observation is that he's overly confident or disrespects his opponent's abilities.  I don't know what it is but he takes the dangerous route many times or attempts the low percentage pass thinking he can connect his target but he can't.

Welinski - Not quite NHL material.  Seems like the game is too fast for him.

Mackey - looked pretty good for Mackey but was hoping he's made a bigger jump.  Still borderline NHLer.

Backlund - the worst game of his career.  Hope it's just rust and not his age showing.  He is the biggest name on both teams and he played worse than the rookies.

Dube - seems like lost a step or something.  Timing was off all night.  But hard to look good when his Center played like garbage

Pitlick - didn't see enough to comment.  Didn't play the third.

Lucic - excellent first shift to the game and great first period.  After that, nothing.

Richardson - looked good... but Derek Ryan is better.

Lewis - didn't look like NHL material anymore

Pelletier - disappointed with his trajectory.  Seems like a good bottom 6 guy who can bring speed and energy.  Ceiling is low.

Gawdin - played well for Gawdin.  Looks ready for some part-time NHL action this season.  Skating is improved.

Phillips - had one good rush but was dominated physically outside of that.  Doesn't appear to be NHL material at this point.

Pospisil - rock solid again.  He's NHL ready in my opinion.

Ruzicka - looked solid and NHL ready.

Ritchie - in mid-season form.  Energy, size, hitting, etc.

31 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I watched the first and third periods.  Missed the second.

Vladar - looks legit.  Feel good with him as back-up.

Werner - wasn't tested much but generally not bad.

Zadarov - played well overall.  Has poise.  Steady.  Played like a veteran just getting warmed up.  Good hits throughout the night.

Andersson - played like he didn't care too much in a nothing game.

Gudbranson - brutal as advertised.  We should all worry.  Bad/slow decision making.  Turnover machine.  Poor reads with and without the puck.

Valimaki - looked shakey.  My general observation is that he's overly confident or disrespects his opponent's abilities.  I don't know what it is but he takes the dangerous route many times or attempts the low percentage pass thinking he can connect his target but he can't.

Welinski - Not quite NHL material.  Seems like the game is too fast for him.

Mackey - looked pretty good for Mackey but was hoping he's made a bigger jump.  Still borderline NHLer.

Backlund - the worst game of his career.  Hope it's just rust and not his age showing.  He is the biggest name on both teams and he played worse than the rookies.

Dube - seems like lost a step or something.  Timing was off all night.  But hard to look good when his Center played like garbage

Pitlick - didn't see enough to comment.  Didn't play the third.

Lucic - excellent first shift to the game and great first period.  After that, nothing.

Richardson - looked good... but Derek Ryan is better.

Lewis - didn't look like NHL material anymore

Pelletier - disappointed with his trajectory.  Seems like a good bottom 6 guy who can bring speed and energy.  Ceiling is low.

Gawdin - played well for Gawdin.  Looks ready for some part-time NHL action this season.  Skating is improved.

Phillips - had one good rush but was dominated physically outside of that.  Doesn't appear to be NHL material at this point.

Pospisil - rock solid again.  He's NHL ready in my opinion.

Ruzicka - looked solid and NHL ready.

Ritchie - in mid-season form.  Energy, size, hitting, etc.

ya, I felt like the EG signing is just a waste of Cap space. Is there not a better nearly 2M player to go after? Why not spend his cap and the rest on something we actually need? 

It’s good the few that are looking for spots came in hungry. Good to know!

how will they fair when the rosters get trimmed and the nhl regulars are on the other squads? 

I feared that Lewis might be getting up there. The role he plays can be hard on the body. But it’s early. Some vets take a few to get the wheels moving, which oddly enough they get the room to take that time… I guess the experience makes that earned?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

ya, I felt like the EG signing is just a waste of Cap space. Is there not a better nearly 2M player to go after? Why not spend his cap and the rest on something we actually need? 

It’s good the few that are looking for spots came in hungry. Good to know!

how will they fair when the rosters get trimmed and the nhl regulars are on the other squads? 

I feared that Lewis might be getting up there. The role he plays can be hard on the body. But it’s early. Some vets take a few to get the wheels moving, which oddly enough they get the room to take that time… I guess the experience makes that earned?

If we were specifically targeting a big and hard hitting RHS RD, then no, it's slim pickings,

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2022/caphit/all/defense

And it's also hard to pick the better RD between Gudbranson and Welinski.  Both cannot be trusted full time in the NHL.

Well a that was a huge dissappointment. Whats scary is you just witnessed 4 dman and our bottom 6 forwards , all just a huge steaming pile of gargage. It may be preseason but that was beyond bad. Plus the added bonus not one prospect made you think hey we may have something there.  Out side of the goalies there wasn't one guy tonight I give a roster spot to, if they were playing for jobs they really don't want one

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The_Snowbear said:

I really dont take that game for really a gauge one anyone being a first preason game and being new players they need to learn systems and stuff and one game isnt

enough

4 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Well a that was a huge dissappointment. Whats scary is you just witnessed 4 dman and our bottom 6 forwards , all just a huge steaming pile of gargage. It may be preseason but that was beyond bad. Plus the added bonus not one prospect made you think hey we may have something there.  Out side of the goalies there wasn't one guy tonight I give a roster spot to, if they were playing for jobs they really don't want one

4 hours ago, rickross said:

It’s extremely early but if this is ANY indication of what we should expect this season. The #1 draft pick will be ours. 

I was looking forward to see if we have improved our scoring from our bottom 6.  Outshot 49-15.  Geez.  No offense and no defense.  Just taking penalties nonstop.

It's funny, my football team which is considered a Super Bowl favorite lost regular season game #3 to go to 1-2 on the season, there isn't the same panic as the Flames losing preseason game #1.  I can't believe we've gotten to this point, we learned should've learned preseason didn't matter when we had the perfect preseason in 2010 only to miss the playoffs after a horrid start.  We should remember how Dustin Boyd and Chuck Kobasew produced like Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin in the preseason, instead we write off a bunch of prospects who didn't perform last night largely because they were taken out of the game by penalties, are we really going to see Brett Ritchie as a # PKer this year. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, sak22 said:

It's funny, my football team which is considered a Super Bowl favorite lost regular season game #3 to go to 1-2 on the season, there isn't the same panic as the Flames losing preseason game #1.  I can't believe we've gotten to this point, we learned should've learned preseason didn't matter when we had the perfect preseason in 2010 only to miss the playoffs after a horrid start.  We should remember how Dustin Boyd and Chuck Kobasew produced like Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin in the preseason, instead we write off a bunch of prospects who didn't perform last night largely because they were taken out of the game by penalties, are we really going to see Brett Ritchie as a # PKer this year. 

The game is mostly meaningless.   But to be optimistic you need to also assume:

That all of last season was meaningless.   

And the season before that was meaningless.     

And that we are still that 2018-19 miracle team that finished 2nd in the NHL. 

And the steady downward projection since then, is meaningless.

And all of our playoff games in the last 5 years were meaningless

ok fine.

I'm on board.  It's all meaningless.  Onward.  And Upward.

But come Trade Deadline, it's really our last chance, and I mean our Very last chance, to get any return at all for this core.   Just saying.
They will come off contract, they will be older, they will be less healthy.    Mostly, come off contract.

That will be our Very Last chance to get...Something...in Return...and prevent the longest rebuild in our history.

52 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Nobody is panicing, its just a realistic observation. Outside of the goalies name me one guy that actually looked good? Sutters press conferance was I just evaluate the individuals, really not hard to detetmine everyone had a failing grade. What was embarrising is that they couldn't even make a tape to tape pass with no pressure, or get it out of the d zone agaisnt an AHL roster. Is it Sutter issue or lust Lack of Fing Talent.

13 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Nobody is panicing, 

I see...  1 game we can tell that we will be the worst team in the league and can give a low ceiling on a first round pick, those are conclusions and you can't make conclusions off 1 meaningless game when you should be able to conclude that Glenn Gawdin won't be getting 19 minutes in a game, and I don't believe we will be playing Trevor Lewis 17 minutes and can only hope that Gudbranson is never over 20 again.

10 hours ago, rickross said:

It’s extremely early but if this is ANY indication of what we should expect this season. The #1 draft pick will be ours. 

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

23 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I see...  1 game we can tell that we will be the worst team in the league and can give a low ceiling on a first round pick, those are conclusions and you can't make conclusions off 1 meaningless game when you should be able to conclude that Glenn Gawdin won't be getting 19 minutes in a game, and I don't believe we will be playing Trevor Lewis 17 minutes and can only hope that Gudbranson is never over 20 again.

Pelletier based on 3 games sir.  And honestly, with experience, it should only take a few shifts to pass the eyeball test.

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

Nobody is panicing, its just a realistic observation. Outside of the goalies name me one guy that actually looked good? Sutters press conferance was I just evaluate the individuals, really not hard to detetmine everyone had a failing grade. What was embarrising is that they couldn't even make a tape to tape pass with no pressure, or get it out of the d zone agaisnt an AHL roster. Is it Sutter issue or lust Lack of Fing Talent.

Talent is lacking for sure.

Our forecheck and cycle was great in the first period but they figured us out quick.  Sutter made no adjustments after that.

Perhaps our biggest problem is our D weren't able to go end-to-end to gain the offensive zone.  This put so much pressure on the forwards to get it done and without blazing speed, they strictly went dump and chase.  It was so predictable.

I'm hoping with Gaudreau, he can gain the offensive zone with consistency and keep the other team honest.  If every line is dump and chase, their game plan against us is simple.

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Nothing wrong with a 26th overall pick becoming a staple 3rd line energy two-way guy with a 12-year NHL career.  It's not a high ceiling but we have drafted worse in that range.

But based off your "disappointed with his trajectory" comment you obviously felt he was more.  But we of all franchises should know not to go with ceilings we've seen a few guys leave in their mid 20's only to thrive on a new team, we're also a team that gained stars based on other teams overvaluing others, Dallas traded Jarome Iginla because they valued Todd Harvey more, and San Jose valued Vesa Toskala over Kiprusoff.

35 minutes ago, sak22 said:

But based off your "disappointed with his trajectory" comment you obviously felt he was more.  But we of all franchises should know not to go with ceilings we've seen a few guys leave in their mid 20's only to thrive on a new team, we're also a team that gained stars based on other teams overvaluing others, Dallas traded Jarome Iginla because they valued Todd Harvey more, and San Jose valued Vesa Toskala over Kiprusoff.

Yes, I'm disappointed we didn't make a steal of a pick with Pelletier and he is trending 3rd liner tops based on these three games.  We will have to settle for 3rd line LW in this case.  I wonder are you disappointed in what you've seen so far from Pelletier?

I don't really see any value in fretting about pre season be it game 1 or the last one of the season. I think the idea of preseason is about 90% useless and really the only goal of it should be to avoid injuries.  I personally don't care or fret if veterans sleep walk through a pre season because honestly I prefer it. Avoid injuries, that's all the ask should be. 

The only thing I think worth mention is it does go to show that Sutter has his work cut out with him with this D core. Bad penalties and a lack of puck movement was/is a problem on paper.