Rory Kerins - 2020 6th rounder

13 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Kerins hit 99 then 100 points for the season.

And that was 1 period into the game.

Ended with 2g, 1a. Windor took them out 5-3. Wyatt Johnston with 1g, 2a for the Spits and looking like he'll take the scoring title, 9 up on 2nd place Kerins.

Kerins:

59 games

39 goals (t-5th)

63 assists (3rd)

101 points (2nd)

These are generally stats that bonafide NHLers put up in the O at 19yo.

Johnston is also 19. 1st rder.

Luke Evangelista is running away with the goals title with 49. He's a 2nd rder (42nd oa).

Just to lend some perspective on just how impressive a pick Kerins was being 6th rd (174th oa)

From a size perspective with these 3:

Wyatt Johnston (C) 6'1" - 174ibs

Luke Evangelista (RW) 5'11" - 165ilbs

Rory Kerins (C/LW) 5'11" - 185lbs

There's a lot here to be excited about. His frame is fairly broad and he plays with a low center of gravity so he's hard to knock around.

I still think something around Trochek is a good comparable. All situation 3C with good O instincts, potential for 2C.

Not bad for a 6th rder.lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The fun doesn't stop.

Kerins earns 1st star in Sudbury with 4 assists in an 8-4 win.

2nd star yesterday with 1g, 1a in a 5-1 win in the Soo last night in the away-home B2B against the Wolves.

65 games

41 goals (8th)

72 assists (3rd)

113 points (2nd)

Pts/G: 1.74 (3rd)

1502 FOs (2nd)

56.9% (2nd to anyone with over 1000 attempts)

• Like 1

On 4/12/2022 at 11:01 AM, travel_dude said:

Birthday for both Kerins (20) and Beck (19) today.

Both doing well in their respective teams.

Kerins will likely be a regular in Stokton, since there is little for him to do in CHL.

Kerins will have quite a hill to climb coming in after an epic year with all eyes on him. Beck is quite the snipe. A full year in the O next year should see him pushing for the Goals title. Potentially both him and Coronato coming up for the '23-24 season as scorers could be a lot of fun. I've never been so excited by the layers of prospects we have than right now.

What impresses me most with Kerins might be his interviews. He is driven and is a big time leader for the Soo. Great maturity level it would seem. Talks often about, "we have to teach the young guys what it takes to win".

Lol, his tables are about to turn. Good player,

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Kerins will have quite a hill to climb coming in after an epic year with all eyes on him. Beck is quite the snipe. A full year in the O next year should see him pushing for the Goals title. Potentially both him and Coronato coming up for the '23-24 season as scorers could be a lot of fun. I've never been so excited by the layers of prospects we have than right now.

What impresses me most with Kerins might be his interviews. He is driven and is a big time leader for the Soo. Great maturity level it would seem. Talks often about, "we have to teach the young guys what it takes to win".

Lol, his tables are about to turn. Good player,

I think he would have the same expectations as Mangiapane did after his epic final year in the O.

My biggest concern with "smaller" guys is their ability to remain on their feet.

Mange gets up in a flash, but he's falling a few too many times for my liking.

Small with a strong core is deadly if you have the hands to go with it. 

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

So is Kerins more of a Center or Winger?

He's a Center. 2nd most draws in the league. An article is floating around comparing him to Mangiapane which is incorrect. He's an all situation leading playmaking C with finish. Hardly Mangiapane. I think the comparison is how many pts, and ends there.

He's the Soo's best play driver. His skating and shot won't blow you away, but he's high IQ and makes things happen on breakouts and in the O zone.

I don't really like "comparables" for the record, they are never on point. His trajectory, for me, is 2yrs in the A if I consider Pelletier will be an NHLer next year. 2C potential.

Kerins is a center, without question. He's been a 1st to 3rd star away from home in 5-1 wins when he only registers an assist. He's a difference maker. He plays all of the hard minutes and matchups is why he's only a +10ish.

He's 5'11" 185lbs, which isn't small. His frame is relatively broad and he uses a low center of gravity. Think Datsyuk size for comparison. His skating is similar but lesser due to edge-work.

Consider the guys around him in the scoring race are also on excellent teams, but are 1st and 2nd rders. He was almost a ppg OHL player (64 games; 30g, 29a, 59pts) as a 17yo.

Not that you can guarantee NHLers, but he'll be one. He's got the intangibles beyond the tangibles of skills. He won't blow you away, he's good at a bit of everything. From one-timers (when they set him up on the right for PP's) to penalty killing. Aggressive at the dot. He's a boss.

I should mention most of all, when Kerins has the puck in your zone, he's a massive threat, He sees his options and invents new ones if he doesn't see a good one. Similar to Lindholm at floating into "soft" areas, but his shot relies on release, whereas Lindholm has a rifle. He hasn't been chasing the 2ppg mark all season by accident or by playing with McDavid. He creates offensively. Offencively?

I've always hated that burp in language.

He's offensive at hockey, but does it in an inoffensive manner....

Is it just me?

22 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Noice.  Prospect pool is getting deep.  There's like 10 or so NHLers in the making,

2021 - Coronato, Beck, Sergeev

2020 - Zary, Kuznetsov, Poirier, Kerins,

2019 - Pelletier, Wolf

2018 - Pospisil

2017 - Valimaki, Ruzicka (basically NHLers already)

It is definitely a breath of fresh air. And about time we can look at our prospect pool in a positive light.

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

It is definitely a breath of fresh air. And about time we can look at our prospect pool in a positive light.

For sures.  Even at the "bluechip level", Coronato could develop into a 1st line RW.  Wolf has starter potential.  There's a lot to look forward to here.

The final tally on his reg season:

67 games

43 goals (T-6th)

75 assists (3rd)

118 points (2nd)

Pts/G: 1.76 (3rd)

1529 FOs (1st)

56.8% (2nd to anyone with over 1000 attempts)

To put this into better context with the top 4 pt getters this year:

Wyatt Johnston - C (1st) is exceptional on a much better team. They're going deep in the playoffs.

Edmonds - RW (3rd) is Shane Wright's RWer. He's undrafted and 21yo.

Evangelista - RW (4th due to last game off) is the driving force for the Knights who are on par with the Soo.

It's really easy to expect Wyatt and Rory to have significant futures as NHL centers, Evangelista as a RW.

In the context of his own team:

2nd in goals (2 off the lead)

1st in assists (by 28!)

1st in pts (by 39!!)

My point is, he isn't putting these numbers up because they're loaded with high-end skill. They have some good players, but Kerins clearly drives the bus.

Up next they're 4th seed vs a solid 5th seed team in the Guelph Storm. Should be a good 'er.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Ahh, Kirkland is 23. I'd like to know who Kerins played with, hopefully he centered.

They have 3 C's listed in the lineup, so I'm not entirely sure.

Here was the projected lines, but neither Gawdin nor Goulborne played.

Kerins and Pospisil played.

If I had to guess based on scoring, the third line was intact.  Maybe Philp moved up. 

Jakob Pelletier  Glenn Gawdin  Matthew Phillips
Justin Kirkland  Luke Philp  Tyrell Goulbourne
Emilio Pettersen  Connor Zary  Eetu Tuulola
Alex Gallant  Byron Froese  Walker Duehr

Kevin Gravel  Nick DeSimone
Juuso Valimaki  Colton Poolman
Ilya Solovyov  Andy Welinski

Dustin Wolf

52 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

They have 3 C's listed in the lineup, so I'm not entirely sure.

Here was the projected lines, but neither Gawdin nor Goulborne played.

Kerins and Pospisil played.

If I had to guess based on scoring, the third line was intact.  Maybe Philp moved up. 

Jakob Pelletier  Glenn Gawdin  Matthew Phillips
Justin Kirkland  Luke Philp  Tyrell Goulbourne
Emilio Pettersen  Connor Zary  Eetu Tuulola
Alex Gallant  Byron Froese  Walker Duehr

Kevin Gravel  Nick DeSimone
Juuso Valimaki  Colton Poolman
Ilya Solovyov  Andy Welinski

Dustin Wolf

Thanks for trying, the starts are too late for me working 7am-pm most days.

10 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Thanks for trying, the starts are too late for me working 7am-pm most days.

9:30pm EDT start tonight, but I don't have a subscription to watch anyway.

Same time as the Flames play Oilers tonight.

I normally keep track of the score during the game, so I may post during the Flames GDT.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

9:30pm EDT start tonight, but I don't have a subscription to watch anyway.

Same time as the Flames play Oilers tonight.

I normally keep track of the score during the game, so I may post during the Flames GDT.

What's a subscription?lol

I pay $150/yr for everything under the sun. Is it sneaky? Sure. Do I care? nada.

Just means that I can buy celery for $3.

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

What's a subscription?lol

I pay $150/yr for everything under the sun. Is it sneaky? Sure. Do I care? nada.

Just means that I can buy celery for $3.

Yeah, I know about streamin (if that's what you mean), but my goto doesn't have them.  

If you are talking about paying for the AHL playoffs, I only care about one team.

3 rounds left, including the current.  

If we take this, we likely play the Wolves.

Wolf vs the Wolves.

Tonight is a B2B for the Heat.

Next two a couple of days apart in COL (Fri and Sun).

Wolfie has been sharp, so I hope he starts again.

Lots of break, and he's only played 4 games in total so far.