Rory Kerins - 2020 6th rounder

Well this is fun. Kerins currently 1st in pts, t-1st in assists, 6th in goals, 10th in PP goals, 10th in PP assists, so he's getting it done 5v5.. Are we excited yet?

39 games; 25 goals; 42assists; 67 points.

He's 19, so not an over-ager. I'm sure the Flames brass are loving this prospect. Plays all situations. Wears the A but should likely have the C.

Time to redo our top prospects. Good head on his shoulders. I'll call it now, he'll be a Flames within 3 years. The O IS the hardest league. He's on a pretty stacked team, but he's also their biggest play driver, without question. Center, LH, sets up on the RW on the PP for one-timers, also PK's.

This is a very good, well-rounded player my friends. High IQ, good skater.

Showing all of the reasons that he should be on the National Jr team. Jack-of all with great offensive instincts. They call him "smaller", but 5'11" isn't small in the NHL.

Good article, though the stats were last weeks. He keeps climbing.

https://thewincolumn.ca/2022/01/18/calgary-flames-prospect-rory-kerins-is-putting-himself-among-elite-company/

34 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Well this is fun. Kerins currently 1st in pts, t-1st in assists, 6th in goals, 10th in PP goals, 10th in PP assists, so he's getting it done 5v5.. Are we excited yet?

He's 19, so not an over-ager. I'm sure the Flames brass are loving this prospect. Plays all situations. Wears the A but should likely have the C.

Time to redo our top prospects. Good head on his shoulders. I'll call it now, he'll be a Flames within 3 years. The O IS the hardest league. He's on a pretty stacked team, but he's also their biggest play driver, without question. Center, LH, sets up on the RW on the PP for one-timers, also PK's.

Showing all of the reasons that he should be on the National Jr team. Jack-of all with great offensive instincts. They call him "smaller", but 5'11" isn't small in the NHL.

https://thewincolumn.ca/2022/01/18/calgary-flames-prospect-rory-kerins-is-putting-himself-among-elite-company/

I know many have Pelletier, Wolfie, Coronato and Zary as our top prospects right now, but beyond that we start thinning out.

Beck is in conversation.

Francis and Poirier.

Sergeev.

Kerins is in the same p/gp as Pelletier was in the Q.

Different league for sure.

He turns 20 this year, so will be no doubt on the Heat.

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I know many have Pelletier, Wolfie, Coronato and Zary as our top prospects right now, but beyond that we start thinning out.

Beck is in conversation.

Francis and Poirier.

Sergeev.

Kerins is in the same p/gp as Pelletier was in the Q.

Different league for sure.

He turns 20 this year, so will be no doubt on the Heat.

Beck is still out.That really sucks.

But at least Kerins is going rock star.

21 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'd like to see more of him, but this type of production becomes a pro far more often than it doesn't. 

Really, really good find by the Flames. 

16 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'd like to see more of him, but this type of production becomes a pro far more often than it doesn't. 

Really, really good find by the Flames. 

I can't wait until March, I'm going to sit behind their bench with my Mony jersey but I'm going to put a fake Kerins nameplate on it. He's #23. Should be good for some chuckles. My cuz is from the Soo and scouts for the Pens. He's choked that he lost the battle, but he lives in Calgary (did his HC training there, GM'd the jrs to gold years ago) so he likes that we took him. One of my bro-in-law's besties is the Flames scout that BT said would punch him in the face if he didn't draft Mangiapane.lol It's drama, he isn't punching anyone in the face.lol He's a good scout though. Anything Ontario, Michigan, Minnesota is generally him. My bro-in-law played with Ciccarelli and was generally always the leading scorer. Broke his leg vs London when he was 17 and the dream died. We were in Dino's (Sting owner at the time) boxseats and they announced the Shoot-a-roo numbers. It was my bro-in-law. We were hammered. They put the plywood across the net with the puck-hole cut out bottom middle. He took a slapshot.lol It went about chest high and came down right in the hole. They mic'd him up, he pointed his stick at Dino and said, "Dino Ciccarelli taught me everything I know about hockey". He comes back to the box, Dino says, "you're an Hash Rate". He says, "you taught me that too". He was wrecked, I couldn't believe it. $700 win.

Missing the Silver Stick tourney, huge. They've re-booked it for late Feb. I really hope it goes. Canada teams only though, which sucks but better than nothing. If we're in lockdown 12, they are cancelling it. Again.

It's our mega-Midget championship tourney. Best Midget teams from all over NA. And Atom. Gretzky lit it right up here as an Atom.lol My oldest bro used to play hockey and baseball against him. He was a really good baller too. I was the batboy.lol

Outside of the side-stories, I'm really excited for Kerins. Our 6th rder is leading the O in pts. When do you EVER see that? He seems quite mature and focused too. And the Flames talk to him regularly. They say in the article Mangiapane is the closest comparable from their list, but I'd argue that it's Trochek, not Mangiapane.

I've always been a big fan of Trochek and now I think we have one.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Outside of the side-stories, I'm really excited for Kerins. Our 6th rder is leading the O in pts. When do you EVER see that? He seems quite mature and focused too. And the Flames talk to him regularly. They say in the article Mangiapane is the closest comparable from their list, but I'd argue that it's Trochek, not Mangiapane.

I've always been a big fan of Trochek and now I think we have one.

If you go with the same timeline with Kerins as Trochek, he would play his Draft +2 year in the O.

Kerins turn 20 in his Draft +1 season.

Make no mistake, playing Draft +2 would not be wrong, but is there enough to be gained from it?

Or is it better to get him into AHL development?

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If you go with the same timeline with Kerins as Trochek, he would play his Draft +2 year in the O.

Make no mistake, playing Draft +2 would not be wrong, but is there enough to be gained from it?

AHL, no question. He's his team leader and they are a huge threat. There will be nothing left for him to prove next yr in the O.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Technically speaking though Kerins is already in his D+2 year. he just had his D+1 year wiped out due to COVID. 

He will have 3 full years of OHL experience so i would be looking to put him in the A if I were the Flames. 

On 1/31/2022 at 6:24 PM, cross16 said:

Technically speaking though Kerins is already in his D+2 year. he just had his D+1 year wiped out due to COVID. 

He will have 3 full years of OHL experience so i would be looking to put him in the A if I were the Flames. 

His D+1 was 4 games with Stockton. It seems like it had a huge positive impact on him, and he says it that way too.

A 6th rder. Wow. Nice grab. Top 3 prospect for me. Middle 6 C imo.

• Like 1

They call him small, but his frame reminds me of likely Datsyuk size, which I don't consider small. Build up muscle mass and he should be 5'11"/190-195ish I'm guessing. That perfect tank size for a C. I know I'm getting ahead of things, but health stay with him and he's going to transition really well I think. His interviews show a very smart and determined kid. So far we pounded this one right out of the park. Find 0.9ppg Jr rookies. Draft them late. Sit back and smile.lol

Kerins-300x240.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

They call him small, but his frame reminds me of likely Datsyuk size, which I don't consider small. Build up muscle mass and he should be 5'11"/190-195ish I'm guessing. That perfect tank size for a C. I know I'm getting ahead of things, but health stay with him and he's going to transition really well I think. His interviews show a very smart and determined kid. So far we pounded this one right out of the park. Find 0.9ppg Jr rookies. Draft them late. Sit back and smile.lol

Kerins-300x240.jpg

I agree and honestly it's the biggest and best change that Treliving and the Flames have made in their scouring. Instead of rolling the dice on guys who are "big" they are rolling the dice on skill and guys who can make plays and worry about the other faults later. Much, much better approach than trying to chase big guys who are ranked low for a reason. 

56 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Kerins-300x240.jpg

pavelski isn’t that big but looks like he could have a similar frame.

48 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I agree and honestly it's the biggest and best change that Treliving and the Flames have made in their scouring. Instead of rolling the dice on guys who are "big" they are rolling the dice on skill and guys who can make plays and worry about the other faults later. Much, much better approach than trying to chase big guys who are ranked low for a reason. 

I agree there and I don’t get this. There’s a flaw in the grading system in scouting these types. 

i could see why they might have liked Jankowski, as he was probably tearing it up against guys who wouldn’t ever get a sniff of anything but a beer league dressing room. 

kanzig, Smith, Carroll.., did they show more in their draft years? 

6 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I agree there and I don’t get this. There’s a flaw in the grading system in scouting these types. 

i could see why they might have liked Jankowski, as he was probably tearing it up against guys who wouldn’t ever get a sniff of anything but a beer league dressing room. 

No. Smith was on a great team

7 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think that Burkie's stated mandate was to be gritty.

Those 3 were exactly of that mold but were not exactly big producers.

Carroll was an overager, and even then was less than great.

14 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Carroll did. Didn't work out but he was flashing enough offensive skill to justify the pick IMO.

Kanzig and Smith were terrible picks that never made sense. Both to me are good examples of focusing on the wrong skill sets. 

11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Carroll did. Didn't work out but he was flashing enough offensive skill to justify the pick IMO.

Kanzig and Smith were terrible picks that never made sense. Both to me are good examples of focusing on the wrong skill sets. 

ya, 

i agree that the scouting for skill has gotten better. 

it seems they did a decent job with Ruzicka. Hope he continues to trend up. 

i hope they can get more big guys with some skill too. 

same with Kerins. Looks good so far. 

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Carroll did, after passing through the previous draft unpicked.

Was he worth a 7th?  Perhaps.

Compared to recent late picks, not so much.

But maybe that is in hindsight.

5 hours ago, robrob74 said:

ya, 

i agree that the scouting for skill has gotten better. 

it seems they did a decent job with Ruzicka. Hope he continues to trend up. 

i hope they can get more big guys with some skill too. 

same with Kerins. Looks good so far. 

Everyone does. I don't think the goal is ever to draft small guys on purpose it's just when you are late in the draft what do you value more? Big guys with skill don't tend to fall in the draft unless they come with other question marks. for Ruzicka it was his effort levels, Ferland sort of similar etc etc. 

Just comes down to what you want to prioritize. I just think if you target size late in drafts you are going to draft busts more often than not so you should target skill and put the size aside. Both is great, but so so tough to find late. 

Uh-oh, here comes my scouting meltdown.lol

examples of my hairy eyeball:

Chychrun - they all took the section at Sarnia's 2 period D zone.

Galchenyuk/Yakupov - they all sat in the Yakupov O-side.

It's like every job in life. 20% abilitiy, 80% people like you.

They all work together, they all travel together. Everybody knows every other teams intention.

It's like a convention.lol

Imagine the countless distraction. It is. I see it all of the time.