Rory Kerins - 2020 6th rounder

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Ryan Pike@RyanNPike · 1h

Now official, #Flames have signed F Rory Kerins to three-year ELC that begins in 2022-23.

I was thinking March 1st was the deadline. Maybe I was right?

50 games

33 goals (t-3rd) 8 off the leader

51 assists (t-4th) 6 off the leader

84 points (2nd) 1pt behind

He...just...keeps...going.lol

What a season.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I was thinking March 1st was the deadline. Maybe I was right?

50 games

33 goals (t-3rd) 8 off the leader

51 assists (t-4th) 6 off the leader

84 points (2nd) 1pt behind

He...just...keeps...going.lol

What a season.

March 1st is the start of being able to ink undrafted players to NHL contracts.  I see a few teams that did that.  Ol' JJ will be pushing for some obscure goalie or C soon, once the Flames start losing game.  LOL.

Not sure if March 1st is really a deadline.  We inked Zary on December 31st or something like that.  

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

That's my comparable too. Can C in all situations, solid D game. He's only a +1 for all of those points, but he always plays against the top line. So all of those points are also against the OHL's elite. Should help the transition to the Heat.

Isn't Kerins playing on the wing?  Maybe I am misinformed.  

I think that he'll look real good in Stockton next season.

I see him as a future Mats Zucarello at centre instead of the wings.

Or perhaps, the Flames move him to one of the wings, he appears to play all over the ice anyways.

If he progresses anything like Pelletier, we may have a NHL calibre 3rd line centre by 2024-2025.

I don't know that he has the size to be a "2nd line" shutdown centre like Backlund, but stranger things have happened.

Or maybe, the 2nd line becomes another scoring line and our "shutdown line" is the 3rd.

Haven't seen that in about 10 years with this team.

5 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

I think that he'll look real good in Stockton next season.

I see him as a future Mats Zucarello at centre instead of the wings.

Or perhaps, the Flames move him to one of the wings, he appears to play all over the ice anyways.

If he progresses anything like Pelletier, we may have a NHL calibre 3rd line centre by 2024-2025.

I don't know that he has the size to be a "2nd line" shutdown centre like Backlund, but stranger things have happened.

Or maybe, the 2nd line becomes another scoring line and our "shutdown line" is the 3rd.

Haven't seen that in about 10 years with this team.

I was saying up the thread once he fills out I'd expect about 5'11/200. That's about Backlund's size of 6/200.

He's currently listed as 5'11/185.

On 3/2/2022 at 12:21 PM, conundrumed said:

He's a C. He sets up on either wing on PPs for his one-timer. Maybe that's why you think he's a winger.

He's a center. Their busiest center, by a lot.

Must have been thinking about Beck.  Only saw highlights, so my mistake.

36 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Yes. Beck is a wing. The missed time sucks. An OHL Coronato? Hopefully he responds, long ways to go.

'Nato had a good week last week.  Named ECAC star IIRC.

I don't expect him to be a rookie star just yet.

Use the time to develop.

Get him into the AHL unless he comes out of college as a star.

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

You’re saved td, wing on PP1. Kartye centers. 2-1 SSM, 2a’s for Kerins.

I don't get to see any CHL games at all.  Have to rely on you scouts that tend to see them or follow them more.

I would love to watch the Heat play, but they want too much for a season pass.  Or I am cheap.  Maybe both.

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I don't get to see any CHL games at all.  Have to rely on you scouts that tend to see them or follow them more.

I would love to watch the Heat play, but they want too much for a season pass.  Or I am cheap.  Maybe both.

You mean the Hitmen or Oil Kings?

Entertaining game, 6-5 OT win for Sarnia. I think Kerins just had the 1st 2 assists. He's actually their 2nd line center which makes the pts he's piling up even more impressive. He is AGGRESSIVE at the dot. lol

Got tossed a lot. Any further down the shaft he'd be holding the heel of his stick.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

You mean the Hitmen or Oil Kings?

Entertaining game, 6-5 OT win for Sarnia. I think Kerins just had the 1st 2 assists. He's actually their 2nd line center which makes the pts he's piling up even more impressive. He is AGGRESSIVE at the dot. lol

Got tossed a lot. Any further down the shaft he'd be holding the heel of his stick.

I live in the land of the enemy, and I have zero desire to watch the Oil Kings.

As far as Rogers Centre, the only time that NHL seats were decent price was during the Oiler

losing streak.  A Flames game there would be just annoying.  Puke Orange everywhere.

I get to the occasional Flames home game, but normally Blues or COL @ Calgary.

It would be interesting for the Flames to have a faceoff stud.

Kerins update.

Seems regardless of whether he points much or not he's in the 3 stars every game. I don't catch many games, but he's apparently a difference maker. In Sudbury, for example, he had 1 assist, the 3 stars were 2 Wolves players and Kerins.

So, he's now at:

55 games

94 points (2nd behind prospect Wyatt Johnson - 23rd oa Dallas)

35 goals (5th)

59 assists (3rd)

1.71 ppg (6th)

FO% 57.5 (2nd to anyone with over 1,000 FO, has taken 200 more than leader Owen Beck)

Welcome to the Heat Rory!! Should be fun to watch.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought this was interesting. CHL Top prospects game is coming up and all of the players were asked who was the most challenging player to play again. Kerins received a vote. 

So did Flames prospect Yan Kuznetsov (2nd rounder from 2020 playing in Saint John) which is really interesting given his short duration in the CHL

6 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I see Stankoven got 2 votes...shoulda woulda coulda...

Well, it came down to a 5'8" RHS C or a 6'3" LHS LW.  The scouting seemed like he has excellent skating, so it's a reasonable expectation he would be good for our team...eventually.  Woohoo Team Sweden.

19 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I see Stankoven got 2 votes...shoulda woulda coulda...

I get why they liked him but I'm not sure that Stromgren pick is going to turn out well for the Flames. They passed on some very talented players, Stankoven at the top of that list, to take him. 

A project yes but early returns are not promising.