Rory Kerins - 2020 6th rounder

Probably forgotten but Flames took Kerins in the 6th round last year but he didn’t play due to Covid shutting down the OHL. However the other day he was invited to Team Canada’s summer camp for the World Juniors. 
Nice honor for a 6th rounder. 

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Kerins (#23) crushes 2g, 2a last night vs Sudbury in a 4-3 ot win.

Moves him into a tie for 5th oa in pts. 6gms, 3g 5a.

https://ontariohockeyleague.com/gamecentre/24829/boxscore

It's good to see the prospects doing well.  Many Flames fans have probably only looked up the or totals or draft rankings.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/29/2021 at 9:55 AM, travel_dude said:

Good to see.  Hope he takes the slight of not going to WJC as a reason to explode in the O.

Beck is still injured.

Gotta love the late picks this past year.

Hockey Canada makes some of the worst selections ever at WJC.

If ever there is a choice between a hockey decision and a political one, they go with the political one...Every time.    Which would be fine, if they didn't politicise literally everything including things that shouldn't be political.   Like snuffing Mangiapane and completely bombing the 2016 WJC without a medal.

I would place less than zero importance on getting passed over.   If you get picked, it's a great experience but more likely means NHL teams are invested in you already with a high pick, and there are stakeholders that want to showcase you.   If you don't get picked, it sucks to miss the experience but it in now way whatsoever hinders development or your ability to make the NHL.

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

If ever there is a choice between a hockey decision and a political one, they go with the political one...Every time.    Which would be fine, if they didn't politicise literally everything including things that shouldn't be political.   Like snuffing Mangiapane and completely bombing the 2016 WJC without a medal.

I would place less than zero importance on getting passed over.   If you get picked, it's a great experience but more likely means NHL teams are invested in you already with a high pick, and there are stakeholders that want to showcase you.   If you don't get picked, it sucks to miss the experience but it in now way whatsoever hinders development or your ability to make the NHL.

HC is rife with the same influence as the habs.

Must have x players that are french speaking.

I thought last year's results were exactly what we deserved.

Too much emphasis on 1dt rounders or high profile players.

Like the Oilers vs the Flames team this year.

Top end talent or top work ethic.

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Dude, that's not the half of it. A hockey family I'm old friends with split up. The kids went out west with mom. The son came back to dad in Sarnia. He ripped through the Sarnia Sting in camp and was a first cut. Went back out west, played for Spokane shortly after. If by political you mean, "Whose parents are the most affluent", you are 100% correct.

It's pathetic and starts in novice.

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Dude, that's not the half of it. A hockey family I'm old friends with split up. The kids went out west with mom. The son came back to dad in Sarnia. He ripped through the Sarnia Sting in camp and was a first cut. Went back out west, played for Spokane shortly after. If by political you mean, "Whose parents are the most affluent", you are 100% correct.

It's pathetic and starts in novice.

Hate to quote myself, but to add, he quickly became Spokane's 1C. Great player. The Sting are Blockchained too, to microcosm the problem.  Rich kid sport.

• Like 1

It's too bad that his first post-draft season was only 4 games with the Heat as an 18yo, as the OHL had zero games last year.

In the few Soo games I've watched this year, he's always noticeable. He plays C, but the right side of the ice is his stronger side imo. He reminds me of Dube at 19. Good skater, good passer, good vision, accurate shot, creative, play driver. He likes playing in the slot in the o-zone  You can see by his stat line he's comfortable shooting or dishing at this level.

He'll need to add bulk, but he's 5'11-6' which is about the right size for his skill level and quickness.

He's potentially a Pelletier replacement for the A next year.

Zary needs to establish that he's our top C prospect. Kerins will be hot on his heels as early as next year.

And I'd prefer Kerins (so far) to be a LSRW.

Rd 6 is for C prospects, he looks like a solid B to me.

• 2 weeks later...