2021 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

I mean, I guess I am really just hoping that they for once draft a dynamic player that can be a game changer, instead of a safe 2nd or 3rd liner.

The jets went for that skill with their 1st and 2nd rounders. 

I am all for going after the types we drafted, but we need skill for the future too. 

Just now, jjgallow said:

Powers, and whoever Edmonton drafts.

Even Powers has said he hasn't decided one way or the other.

1st overall don't care about going to university, they want a big payday.

Surpsisingly enough Holloway signed with the Oilers to forgo extra time in college.

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

I mean, I guess I am really just hoping that they for once draft a dynamic player that can be a game changer, instead of a safe 2nd or 3rd liner.

I am all for going after the types we drafted, but we need skill for the future too. 

Exactly.  I just don't understand why you wouldn't swing for the fences.

Getting a role player adds little value, they can be acquired for free outside of the draft or at very low cost and risk, anytime.

A guy like Chibrikov, or even Wallstedt......   Really,,, when you look at where Logan Mallioux was drafted these guys surely must be into devil worship and are also republicans.

But even so, it's not a marriage.   It's a date.   You draft them, develop them, see how they are in the NHL.  If you don't like any aspect at all, you can just trade them.  For a lot more than you could with "Safe" picks.

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

And WPG ends up with players like Kane, Trouba and Laine.

There is a lot of thought that goes into these picks.

5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Coronato would fit that description. Could argue he's got more upside than Lucius. Definetly is not "safe". 

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Even Powers has said he hasn't decided one way or the other.

1st overall don't care about going to university, they want a big payday.

Surpsisingly enough Holloway signed with the Oilers to forgo extra time in college.

Even so, we really should hold some sort of online funeral for all the players who's hopes and dreams were killed this weekend when the Oilers called their name and their hockey careers ended.

Just now, jjgallow said:

Even so, we really should hold some sort of online funeral for all the players who's hopes and dreams were killed this weekend when the Oilers called their name and their hockey careers ended.

That's so funny.  Only one player had his hopes and dreams crushed so far.  The later picks will be banking on being traded to Pittsburg

15 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Bottom line ..the rule needs to change ..until it does you'll keep getting players using it 

I bet in hindsight Eichel wishes he had 

Tottaly agree that is my point that rule is so stupid and should not be in  the NHL now I am hearing something about college players getting paid ? Is this true?

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Coronato would fit that description. Could argue he's got more upside than Lucius. 

There were perhaps a dozen players we could have taken that I would be upset about.

In 3 years, there will be some random 3rd rounder that is killing it that we look back at and complain about passing on him.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

There were perhaps a dozen players we could have taken that I would be upset about.

In 3 years, there will be some random 3rd rounder that is killing it that we look back at and complain about passing on him.

my worry is we’ve left 1st liners on the board and ended up with a good player, but only a depth player… 2nd or 3rd liner…

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

About a 50% chance that player will be Chibrikov.  lol.   50% chance it's someone less obvious.    I don't think we'll be able to attribute it to luck, though.   There will be signs now.

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

my worry is we’ve left 1st liners on the board and ended up with a good player, but only a depth player… 2nd or 3rd liner…

Yuuuup.   Which is basically a complete waste of a pick.   There is always that chance he surprises us, it's just extra hard to do that on LW.

Like @travel_dude says though, the pitchforks stay in the shed until the draft is done.