2021 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

One player that could be had is Aatu Raty. Projected in  the 1st round but has fallen drastically. Could be a bit of a gamble but hey 2 high end RW forwards checks some boxes for us. AS we need Dman as well, there is no Dman in whats left to assit for the next 3-4 years. If we are getting a replacement for GIO its via trade. 

I'm a little leery of the teams that have thin prospects at G(Buffalo, Calgary, Edmonton, NJ, Ottawa) didn't take one of the 2. Until of course Yzerman jumped up and said, okay Dallas, I need your pick.

Detroit crushed the 1st round I thought. If you're building from the back out, seems like a good plan. Having a Seider-Edvinsson potential pairing for the future might be terrifying.

Both 6'4". Both exceptional dmen. In Yzerman's interview, he brought up "just added 25yo Alex, so we can be patient with an 18yo goalie". Why do I feel like Lidstrom quietly scouts for him in Sweden?

Our pick looks good, but a little leery he's going to Harvard. Not exactly the #1 school you leave early from. Can see a long wait. Let's get another RW with our 2nd.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

One player that could be had is Aatu Raty. Projected in  the 1st round but has fallen drastically. Could be a bit of a gamble but hey 2 high end RW forwards checks some boxes for us. AS we need Dman as well, there is no Dman in whats left to assit for the next 3-4 years. If we are getting a replacement for GIO its via trade. 

He's actually the one I want too.. figured he'd drop out of the 1st but not sure he'll drop another 13 slots ..   boom or bust for sure but his boom side is top 3 ..had one bad season just picked the wrong one 

12 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

At worst you get a Zach Hyman type… without paying him 5.5 at the age of 29.

He will play and be a very effective player 

I have to agree, my only knock on him is his size…having said that he’s a stocky (brick S**t house) so that could

act play in his favour or over being a huge monster, his Ctr of gravity would be lower and thus making him hard to knock down.

otherwise I think they nailed this pick! Maybe a Theo Fleury type but a bit bigger and stronger? I’m 100% on board for that type of player!

26 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

He's actually the one I want too.. figured he'd drop out of the 1st but not sure he'll drop another 13 slots ..   boom or bust for sure but his boom side is top 3 ..had one bad season just picked the wrong one 

That could work, I’m on board with adding some RWs 

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

From what I can tell, Wallstedt is a good technical first save goalie and squares up well to the angles but doesn't have that 6th sense.  He doesn't look around and anticipate the next few seconds into the future.  In other words, lacks elite and flash.  Cossa, in comparison, has more raw talents but needs to add bulk to his frame so he can bounce back to his feet faster.  Cossa's game may be a bit flasher because he has elite size and he looks around often.  And adding muscle vs adding 6th sense... Definitely easier to develop muscles than 6th sense.

Interesting, thank you.   It's quite the drop.  I would have picked him over Coronato even knowing that, unless there are other intangibles off-ice that we don't know about yet.   I guess time will tell.    Although it's not a good rebuild fit, at least I do like Coronato as a pick.    Ceulemans also dropped far far far more than I thought, he would be the other guy I would have liked.    We really should have got some late first round picks, and realistically we could have if we wanted.  I was amazed at the availability, some teams just won gold there.

2nd round will be interesting too, I can still hold that faint hope that we'll upgrade :)

19 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

I have to agree, my only knock on him is his size…having said that he’s a stocky (brick S**t house) so that could

act play in his favour or over being a huge monster, his Ctr of gravity would be lower and thus making him hard to knock down.

otherwise I think they nailed this pick! Maybe a Theo Fleury type but a bit bigger and stronger? I’m 100% on board for that type of player!

Yeah I have zero issues with brick houses.   His playoff record is just fine.

I think he will do very well.  Wasn't my top pick but was close.    Theo Fleury was "ultra small".    This kid isn't.   He's just "not tall".

I do have some concerns that he is specialized so much on LW.  In either College or NHL ( likely both ) he will be encouraged to play RW, which will take away a lot of his signature lateral moves but will give him serious minutes.   My gut reaction is that College will discover he is really best on LW after some experimentation, and worth it.   And that the Flames will discover this too as college will solidify his development.

So positionally, we are a bit screwed with this pick.   IMHO our priorities are G, RHD, LHD, RW, C, in that order.    LW doesn't even register.   Anyway, lots of time.

• Like 1

I'll say it one last time, Nikita Chibrikov.   The talent is real.  No idea how he's still available.  He could have gone top 10 and nobody would have batted an eye.

Sure, the Russian stigma.  I get it.   But honestly, he has to be BPA.   Bring him over to NA junior like was done with Kucherov.  Let him excel for a year or two, if we still don't like what we see at the NHL level (intangibles etc) then you just Trade the guy.  It's not a sin.    But I don't see anyone else close to that level available right now.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Our pick looks good, but a little leery he's going to Harvard. Not exactly the #1 school you leave early from. Can see a long wait. Let's get another RW with our 2nd.

So, what he said was he's not decided where he goes next year.  He 100% committed to getting to the NHL, so the best way to get there is what he is considering.