2021 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

Maybe Cgy need some attitude, cause as of now the only player with some attitude has been hogtied (Tachuck)…Cgy has been kinda bland last year and the few years before that Tachuck has been pretty much the only interested part of the Flames? 

From what I’ve read, it seems like Lysell’s issues could be some entitlement from the player. For a young kid, playing pro that doesn’t work.

I like him and would be happy if the Flames picked him, he just doesn’t feel like a Flames pick though. Pelletier and Zary are applauded for their character and work ethic, I don’t know if that’s Lysell

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Maybe Cgy need some attitude, cause as of now the only player with some attitude has been hogtied (Tachuck)…Cgy has been kinda bland last year and the few years before that Tachuck has been pretty much the only interested part of the Flames? 

I hear Yakupov's available

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

From what I’ve read, it seems like Lysell’s issues could be some entitlement from the player. For a young kid, playing pro that doesn’t work.

I like him and would be happy if the Flames picked him, he just doesn’t feel like a Flames pick though. Pelletier and Zary are applauded for their character and work ethic, I don’t know if that’s Lysell

If only he was a LHS

• Haha 1

I would be disappointed if the Flame picked Lysell myself. He feels very safe in that he'll likely slot in as a middle 6 winger but I don't see either the type of shot or type of play making ability that could make him rise up higher than that.

Given who should be on the board I'd rather roll the dice on others that have more upside than him 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I would be disappointed if the Flame picked Lysell myself. He feels very safe in that he'll likely slot in as a middle 6 winger but I don't see either the type of shot or type of play making ability that could make him rise up higher than that.

Given who should be on the board I'd rather roll the dice on others that have more upside than him 

The ones that "may" drop or ones that I would be happy taking a bit of risk are:

Kent Johnson - not sure he makes it close to 12 unless D is prioritized

Coronato - just seems the right fit for some reason

Sillinger - a C that like to attack in the middle?

One kid I wonder may be available way later in the 1st or even 2nd:

Samu Tuomaala - could he be the RHS RW version of Mangiapane?

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

The ones that "may" drop or ones that I would be happy taking a bit of risk are:

Kent Johnson - not sure he makes it close to 12 unless D is prioritized

Coronato - just seems the right fit for some reason

Sillinger - a C that like to attack in the middle?

One kid I wonder may be available way later in the 1st or even 2nd:

Samu Tuomaala - could he be the RHS RW version of Mangiapane?

I have to admit, I like all of these picks.  I really do.

But, seriously how many LHS forwards can the organisation handle lol?    I think it has to be recognized that this draft may be the Flame's best chance in a long time to draft a replacement for Gio, or...even better, draft a replacement for Hamilton/Fox/Kipper.    They probably won't get another opportunity for a long time presented in this manner, and, they probably won't be a competitive hockey organisation until they succeed at this.

If we draft another LHS forward this year, or quite frankly any forward, imho it will entirely delay any chance they have at being competitive by another year, at very best.    At worst, until they get lucky with one of their later picks some time in the next 5 years.

The FA market sucks.  It really does.   

Anyway, if they really feel no top defencemen or goalies will be available (which would surprise me), then imho they need to upgrade their pick and as rare as this is, it is still more feasible than the FA market.

16 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I have to admit, I like all of these picks.  I really do.

But, seriously how many LHS forwards can the organisation handle lol?    I think it has to be recognized that this draft may be the Flame's best chance in a long time to draft a replacement for Gio, or...even better, draft a replacement for Hamilton/Fox/Kipper.    They probably won't get another opportunity for a long time presented in this manner, and, they probably won't be a competitive hockey organisation until they succeed at this.

If we draft another LHS forward this year, or quite frankly any forward, imho it will entirely delay any chance they have at being competitive by another year, at very best.    At worst, until they get lucky with one of their later picks some time in the next 5 years.

The FA market sucks.  It really does.   

Anyway, if they really feel no top defencemen or goalies will be available (which would surprise me), then imho they need to upgrade their pick and as rare as this is, it is still more feasible than the FA market.

I listed 2 RHS wingers (Coronato and Tuomaala) and two LHS C.  The vast majority of the NHL C's are LHS.

And as I prefaced it, this is possibly a draft where those Hammy, Kipper, Gio types will be off the board by 12.

Beyond that, there may be one or two high risk high reward D available.

The UFA crop this summer for D is not great; more accurately the ones likely to be available July 18th.

If you need a guy that can score 40-60 points while providing questionable defense, see Barrie and Dougie.

Why would we ever target a D that can score?

I do give Dougie somke props for upping his D game, but it's still not his strongest points.

Unfortunately, the expansion draft, the entry draft and FA don't all occur on the same day.

So, you have to have your trades and signings know before you upgrade your 1st rounder.

Impossible.

We could trade for Dumba and protect him over Tanev and Gio.

The trade costs would be less than other years.

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I listed 2 RHS wingers (Coronato and Tuomaala) and two LHS C.  The vast majority of the NHL C's are LHS.

And as I prefaced it, this is possibly a draft where those Hammy, Kipper, Gio types will be off the board by 12.

Beyond that, there may be one or two high risk high reward D available.

The UFA crop this summer for D is not great; more accurately the ones likely to be available July 18th.

If you need a guy that can score 40-60 points while providing questionable defense, see Barrie and Dougie.

Why would we ever target a D that can score?

I do give Dougie somke props for upping his D game, but it's still not his strongest points.

Unfortunately, the expansion draft, the entry draft and FA don't all occur on the same day.

So, you have to have your trades and signings know before you upgrade your 1st rounder.

Impossible.

We could trade for Dumba and protect him over Tanev and Gio.

The trade costs would be less than other years.

WAT?

Just digging through Elite Prospects' Draft guide, here's who they have ranked in the Flames range. Their top 32 is on their website https://www.eliteprospects.com/draft-center/2021/eliteprospects.com

12th- Cole Sillinger 

13th- Fedor Svechkov

14th- Oskar Olausson

15th- Zach Dean

16th- Francesco Pinelli

17th- Chaz Lucius

For a little context, here's last years 12-17 from Elite Prospects

12th- Seth Jarvis, went 13th

13th- Mavrik Bourque, went 30th

14th- Dawson Mercer, went 18th

15th- Brendan Brisson, went 29th

16th- Jack Quinn, went 8th

17th- Rodion Amirov, went 15th

Last year they had Ridly Greig ranked 84th, he ended up being a 1st rounder. This year they have Corson Ceulemans ranked 50th, he will also be a 1st round pick. They always have a few head scratchers, Stutzle 8th, Lukas Reichel another 1st, 43rd. I'm not a huge fan of Elite Prospects, but I always enjoy hearing what people think about prospects, the more opinions, the better. 

Also for a little fun, here's where they had last years Flames picks ranked

25th- Zary, he went 24th

26th- Poirier, he went 72nd

45th- Heineman, he went 43rd

76th- Francis, he went 143rd

109th- Kuznetsov, he went 50th

4 hours ago, redfire11 said:

maybe yakupov at 750k might be a steal. His bad attitude has most likely been brought down to earth. 

I'm usually all for projects like these but at this point I think he's struggling to stay in the KHL.

He's been moved between three different teams in the last three years and has not had much success sticking.  I think if he could find at least his KHL game it would be a win for him.

4 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Just digging through Elite Prospects' Draft guide, here's who they have ranked in the Flames range. Their top 32 is on their website https://www.eliteprospects.com/draft-center/2021/eliteprospects.com

12th- Cole Sillinger 

13th- Fedor Svechkov

14th- Oskar Olausson

15th- Zach Dean

16th- Francesco Pinelli

17th- Chaz Lucius

For a little context, here's last years 12-17 from Elite Prospects

12th- Seth Jarvis, went 13th

13th- Mavrik Bourque, went 30th

14th- Dawson Mercer, went 18th

15th- Brendan Brisson, went 29th

16th- Jack Quinn, went 8th

17th- Rodion Amirov, went 15th

Last year they had Ridly Greig ranked 84th, he ended up being a 1st rounder. This year they have Corson Ceulemans ranked 50th, he will also be a 1st round pick. They always have a few head scratchers, Stutzle 8th, Lukas Reichel another 1st, 43rd. I'm not a huge fan of Elite Prospects, but I always enjoy hearing what people think about prospects, the more opinions, the better. 

Also for a little fun, here's where they had last years Flames picks ranked

25th- Zary, he went 24th

26th- Poirier, he went 72nd

45th- Heineman, he went 43rd

76th- Francis, he went 143rd

109th- Kuznetsov, he went 50th

probably best to look at a rank range from 8 or 9 to 14 or 15.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

Realistic target. Considering our penchant for reclamation projects.

You know, I really can't figure out what's wrong with him. His career has been an absolute roller coaster. It has to be in his head, and that's a real drag because I think that he could have had a great career. At 27, I can't imagine that he'll ever really put it together and light it up... but if you could get some consistency out of him, and not be so frustrated that you'd trade him for financial considerations, as has happened twice in the last 15 months, I wouldn't mind that target at all. Sadly, I don't think he'll ever find that consistency.

Love.

49 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

You know, I really can't figure out what's wrong with him. His career has been an absolute roller coaster. It has to be in his head, and that's a real drag because I think that he could have had a great career. At 27, I can't imagine that he'll ever really put it together and light it up... but if you could get some consistency out of him, and not be so frustrated that you'd trade him for financial considerations, as has happened twice in the last 15 months, I wouldn't mind that target at all. Sadly, I don't think he'll ever find that consistency.

Love.

the Oilers started playing him regularly with concussions back in 2014 when he was 20 years old.    This was back when they used to brag about how real NHL prospects weren't afraid to play injured.

That was effectively the end of his NHL career.

20 hours ago, jjgallow said:

the Oilers started playing him regularly with concussions back in 2014 when he was 20 years old.    This was back when they used to brag about how real NHL prospects weren't afraid to play injured.

That was effectively the end of his NHL career.

I didn't know this but it doesn't surprise me how his career has gone since.

He actually had a promising start/solid rookie campaign despite the horrific plus minus.

54 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

I didn't know this but it doesn't surprise me how his career has gone since.

He actually had a promising start/solid rookie campaign despite the horrific plus minus.

https://www.thescore.com/news/415858/related

As of Thursday, Yakupov still had not been cleared by the league's concussion protocol, but it seems he passed the final tests within the last 24 hours.  

It's not really possible to come back that fast after being knocked out And follow concussion protocol, even for a first concussion (and he was already into multiple concussions by then).  Unless you played for some select teams such as the Oilers.

My comment is partly observation and partly opinion, I believe it was his string of concussions (from 2012 - 2014) and lack of safety protocol that did it.   It wasn't his only injury though, by any stretch.  He had knee issues too, very early on.

https://oilersnation.com/2012/06/15/how-much-offense-did-yakupovs-knee-injury-cost-him/

• 2 weeks later...

Some interesting stuff from Button here. Says there's a group of 8 that they know will be gone by 12th, pretty obvious, Power/Beniers/Eklund/Clarke/Hughes/Guenther and likely two of Johnson/McTavish/Edvinsson. He made it sound like they have the goalies separate from the skater list, at 12th he said there's 4 or 5 skaters they will be looking at and then the goalies. 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Some interesting stuff from Button here. Says there's a group of 8 that they know will be gone by 12th, pretty obvious, Power/Beniers/Eklund/Clarke/Hughes/Guenther and likely two of Johnson/McTavish/Edvinsson. He made it sound like they have the goalies separate from the skater list, at 12th he said there's 4 or 5 skaters they will be looking at and then the goalies. 

I actually respect Button more than most scouts.

However, he has some hangups.   One of them is he has this weird qwerk well he occasionally goes Way off the board in the first round with LHS Centers.

He did it with Janko,  he did it with Zary,   Janko was an epic fail (no disrespect to the player), Zary's not looking like it made a whole lot of sense, although still early.   He had both them grossly out of order in his rankings.   His history of drafting centers is deplorable, he is...simply...really bad at it.

And perhaps for this same reason, he seems fixated on it.  Always trying to undo past errors.  As such, we draft an enormous amount of underwhelming centers, passing up the chance to resolve our issues at RHS D, for instance (Brayden Schneider, etc etc)

https://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-defencemen-dominate-top-of-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-1.1638404

This year, has has gone way off the board with Zachary L'Heureux.  He has him ranked 8th, and I can see absolutely no reason why whatsoever.   Everyone else has him ranked Very late in the first round, or even 2nd round.

I'm not saying that L'Heureux is a bad draft pick.   But, I am saying that L'Heureux at 12th, is a Really bad pick.

Hoping to be wrong.

9 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

However, he has some hangups.   One of them is he has this weird qwerk well he occasionally goes Way off the board in the first round with LHS Centers.

He did it with Janko,  he did it with Zary,   Janko was an epic fail (no disrespect to the player), Zary's not looking like it made a whole lot of sense, although still early.   He had both them grossly out of order in his rankings.   His history of drafting centers is deplorable, he is...simply...really bad at it.

And perhaps for this same reason, he seems fixated on it.  Always trying to undo past errors.  As such, we draft an enormous amount of underwhelming centers, passing up the chance to resolve our issues at RHS D, for instance (Brayden Schneider, etc etc)

https://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-defencemen-dominate-top-of-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-1.1638404

This year, has has gone way off the board with Zachary L'Heureux.  He has him ranked 8th, and I can see absolutely no reason why whatsoever.   Everyone else has him ranked Very late in the first round, or even 2nd round.

I'm not saying that L'Heureux is a bad draft pick.   But, I am saying that L'Heureux at 12th, is a Really bad pick.

Hoping to be wrong.

Here's Craig's updated mock

Happy to see he has Sillinger mocked to the Flames. While it’s never written in stone Craig Button does seem to have either insight, or just similar opinions, to the Flames. 

If Todd Button is sure that the 8 is locked in,which makes sense, Sillinger is my favorite prospect left.

12 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Hoping to be wrong.

Ok, so you have me confused.  Who are you talking about, Craig or Todd?

Are you of the belief that Craig tells Todd who the top 20 is?

34 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Happy to see he has Sillinger mocked to the Flames. While it’s never written in stone Craig Button does seem to have either insight, or just similar opinions, to the Flames. 

If Todd Button is sure that the 8 is locked in,which makes sense, Sillinger is my favorite prospect left.

How would you compare Sillinger to Coronato?

Coronator seems to have a slight edge in scoring, but Sillinger is a C.

I like the reviews of both players, but they always tend to sound pretty rosy.